Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Mao
Screened "Tales of Halloween", and I must say I kinda liked it!

Uneven as hell, but very entertaining.

A very loud thunderstorm ran through our neighborhood in the middle of it...perfect timing!

Other than "Trick 'r Treat"....any other good, polished short anthologies out there? Anyone see "A Christmas Horror Story"?
All Hallows' Eve & All Hallows' Eve 2 are good anthologies I seen for this years challenge. Check them out
Old 10-21-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Chad
Two Orphan Vampires just shot to the top of my Jean Rollin list. I will questions his motives for zooming in on a dog that's supposed to be dead for several seconds that you can clearly see breathing and bobbing its head. Then I realized who I'm talking about and the contempt he had for second takes. That may work for Zombie Lake, but come on!
Rollin could create some breathtakingly beautiful shots and then do stuff like that with the dog. A man I may never fully understand.
Old 10-21-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I couldn't sleep, so woke up in the middle of the night. Decided to work on the challenge, so caught Shadow of the Vampire on Chiller. It was an interesting take on how Nosferatu might have been made.
Great movie. I use this every year for the challenge.
Old 10-21-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yesterday, I met up with some friends of tapas and a special theatrical screening of The Exorcist. It was fun to see the film on the big screen, though a lot of it got laughs from the audience.
Old 10-21-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I told myself I wasn't going to do the checklist, but I've started to fill it out to see if it's doable.
Old 10-21-15, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

One of the teachers at my grandkids school told me Jeepers Creepers was her favorite horror film so I picked up a copy to watch. I don't think it was as horrific as the package indicates but it was quite enjoyable. Like with most newer horror films I kept talking to the screen telling the actors - "Just get out stupid!" and "*Why* are you going there/doing that?" and "Who taught you to drive a stick?" I also don't get the last scene unless it's simply there to tie into the song.
Old 10-21-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...Jeepers Creepers... I also don't get the last scene unless it's simply there to tie into the song.
Jeepers Creepers ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
If I recall correctly the last scene shows the Creeper with Justin Long's eyes revealing the ghastly fate of the main character having been harvested into the creature. It's maybe too subtle, and I agree that song is so corny and over used that one does get the sense the film was based around the music.
Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I told myself I wasn't going to do the checklist, but I've started to fill it out to see if it's doable.
Yes yes, that's how it all begins... the master has you now. Back to the checklist myself...
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Rollin could create some breathtakingly beautiful shots and then do stuff like that with the dog. A man I may never fully understand.
There's something about the earnest sloppiness of euro-sleaze films that creates a nicely surreal vibe; it doesn't always work but seeing off segments like that adds to some of the charm because it doesn't feel intended to exploit some obnoxious comedy but an accident of ambition. At least they didn't actually kill the dog like in that other film...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-21-15 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Jeepers Creepers ending spoilers:
Spoiler:
If I recall correctly the last scene shows the Creeper with Justin Long's eyes revealing the ghastly fate of the main character having been harvested into the creature. It's maybe too subtle, and I agree that song is so corny and over used that one does get the sense the film was based around the music.
Well... that's exactly what I thought but that seemed a bit too simplistic as they went to all the trouble to
Spoiler:
have his skin hung out and then the Creeper looks through the empty eye hole.

Because of that I was looking (no pun intended) for a "deeper" meaning
Spoiler:
as it seemed to be there as a tie in to the song and pull stuff together.

Of course that's highly likely that's why it was there but nothing I'd seen seemed to need such a tie-in. It just felt forced and left me feeling something was left out.

Old 10-21-15, 01:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

My wife really wants me to watch the Back to the Future films with her today, today being the official BttF Day and all. But I can't do the mental gymnastics necessary to make it count even using all my wildcards. As much as I love her, there are just too many good ghost movies I want to watch. Any other month and I'd comply with her request, even if I hated the films (and I love them). Am I a bad husband?
Old 10-21-15, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
My wife really wants me to watch the Back to the Future films with her today, today being the official BttF Day and all. But I can't do the mental gymnastics necessary to make it count even using all my wildcards. As much as I love her, there are just too many good ghost movies I want to watch. Any other month and I'd comply with her request, even if I hated the films (and I love them). Am I a bad husband?
If my wife asked for this I'd drop everything and comply... BUT... she typically does not like the films I watch and the BttF films are no exception so I'd never be asked this. She's also not one to ask to watch *any* film and is content to just watch whatever comes on the TV. It's usually me who does the asking...

So...

Just do it... you're still fairly newly married and need to cave on this one, especially considering the date will never come around again...
Old 10-21-15, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

If my wife asked for this I'd drop everything and comply... BUT... she typically does not like the films I watch and the BttF films are no exception so I'd never be asked this. She's also not one to ask to watch *any* film and is content to just watch whatever comes on the TV. It's usually me who does the asking...

So...

Just do it... you're still fairly newly married and need to cave on this one, especially considering the date will never come around again...
This seems to be a pretty big deal, so you may want to go for it ....
Old 10-21-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

If your wife asks you to watch the BTTF movies with her today, do it! This is an opportunity to get major husband points.
Old 10-21-15, 02:57 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Yes.

I am, so you should.

Also, mad scientist and Jaws 19.

(If it seems safe, argue down to just Part II, and you've only lost 2h.)
Old 10-21-15, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
This seems to be a pretty big deal, so you may want to go for it ....
Originally Posted by Gobear
If your wife asks you to watch the BTTF movies with her today, do it! This is an opportunity to get major husband points.
But since the date is a big deal, and will never come around again, and would earn points, then not doing it would really show her who is boss and not shift me towards a life of 'yes dear'.

And wait a second! You guys just want me to lose 4 hours of horror viewing so you can catch up!

But seriously, you're all right. I bought that BttF set three times now (don't ask), so might as well get some money's worth out of it. Pulling out the blu-rays now; my first non-Challenge content of the month starts when she gets home from work.
Old 10-21-15, 03:10 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

In related news... off to the theater for BttF.
Old 10-21-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife doesn't get my love for movies. I showed her the BttF trilogy while we were dating a few years back. She remembers them happening. If she wanted to, I'd skip my game tonight and watch it with her because its one of the few times she'd show significant interest in a particular movie. Like the time when she got up early enough on the weekends to watch Bridget Jones before we had to go somewhere. But your situation with your wife may differ, so take it for what you will.
Old 10-21-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
And for all we know, GoldenWheels is misremembering. Maybe he and his buddy were just watching a regular zombie movie ... after raiding a field for some marijuana to smoke during the movie.
For legal reasons I can neither deny nor confirm that this is what happened.

(the worst part is, this has become one of "those things" to me. I have a picture in my head of a part of the movie where 3-4 guys are hunkered down outside the field by a bunch of trees tree with really gnarly roots. They make their plan. That's all I remember--if I am even really remembering that!)
Old 10-21-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
For today's theme I watched my Blu-Ray of Daybreakers, which fits both the vampire and apocalyptic horror categories. If you haven't seen it, it stars Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and Sam Neill in a world where most of the population are vampires dependent on a human blood supply that is rapidly disappearing, leaving vampire civilization on the brink of collapse. It's by the Spierig brothers who also wrote and directed Undead and Predestination.
This one really caught me by surprise a few years ago when I watched it. I really liked it, and was surprised that I did (who knows why). Trying to stick to FTVs right now but maybe I have to force that one in.

I've been watching so much 80s slasher fare I think I may need to switch it up anyway...
Old 10-21-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

Yes. Go see it with her. Watch horror movies tomorrow night.

Wife happy. You are happy. Everyone wins.

You are welcome.

I was going to go see it at the theater tonight and take my son but we wouldn't get home until after 11:30. Too late for a school night for a 6th grader and he would have to miss soccer practice as well. Just couldn't make it work.
Old 10-21-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

If I watch the Cubs get trounced again today by the Mets, that totally counts for my horror list, right?

But since the date is a big deal, and will never come around again, and would earn points, then not doing it would really show her who is boss and not shift me towards a life of 'yes dear'.

And wait a second! You guys just want me to lose 4 hours of horror viewing so you can catch up!

But seriously, you're all right. I bought that BttF set three times now (don't ask), so might as well get some money's worth out of it. Pulling out the blu-rays now; my first non-Challenge content of the month starts when she gets home from work.
Watch BTTF and include them in your comedy list as a pre-watch. Wife and OCD happy!

You could also revive the Daily Challenge thread and get double-counting credit that way.
Old 10-21-15, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched BttF 2 yesterday which was my first non-challenge watch in October since the second year I started participating in this challenge :P It also meant I missed out on hitting 100 yesterday.

Also Jeepers Creepers rules
Old 10-21-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I was not prepared for the bombardment of this BTTF stuff AT ALL! Nearly every one of my youtube subscriptions has someone doing a video about it. *Turning on the TV* Oh look, CNN's doing a story about it now. Man!

(Back to the challenge) I'm currently at 119, but I suddenly feel a little weakened after checking out the 10 day forecast. This looks like the 2nd year in a row where Halloween will be a wet night once again. Ever since I've gone full-out with the *yard decorations starting last year, mother nature just keeps getting in the way. Hopefully the rain won't be bad as it was last time.
*Might post pics soon.
In the meantime, here's my dog with his favorite decoration
Old 10-21-15, 07:17 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

two orphan vampires is awesome. i just watched rollins the grapes of death. if you havent seen it i highly recommend it
Old 10-21-15, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Watch BTTF and include them in your comedy list as a pre-watch. Wife and OCD happy!

You could also revive the Daily Challenge thread and get double-counting credit that way.
Pre-watch? What sort of bizarre rules are you all coming up with over there?

And I thought we agreed to never speak of the Daily Challenge again? It never happened. These aren't the threads you're looking for......
Old 10-21-15, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Ha!

What We Do in the Shadows is so great!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.