Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 11-02-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Agree with many of the sentiments here about "Best List" (and what I like in a list). Personally, the lists I appreciate the most of those that have capsule reviews. I don't really care about lists of movies ... I get nothing from that (other than envy that some of you have so much time to watch movies ). But comments by the movies gives me an idea of the person's taste in movies ... and from that, the list can give me an idea of new things to watch.

I'm not into graphics or programming, so I know I'm never going to be even considered for best list. I just do what I like seeing others do ... the list of movies, an easy link to imdb, and some brief thoughts/reviews. Even if no one else reads it, I enjoy doing it as kind of a log of my horror viewing.
Old 11-02-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Agree with many of the sentiments here about "Best List" (and what I like in a list). Personally, the lists I appreciate the most of those that have capsule reviews. I don't really care about lists of movies ... I get nothing from that (other than envy that some of you have so much time to watch movies ). But comments by the movies gives me an idea of the person's taste in movies ... and from that, the list can give me an idea of new things to watch.

I'm not into graphics or programming, so I know I'm never going to be even considered for best list. I just do what I like seeing others do ... the list of movies, an easy link to imdb, and some brief thoughts/reviews. Even if no one else reads it, I enjoy doing it as kind of a log of my horror viewing.
I actually go through the entire lists thread, post-October looking for stuff that might interest me. I wish I had the time to put into making the list more visually appealing, but I have to weigh time spent making the list vs watching movies. I feel the same way regarding Comments/ thoughts/ reviews.
Old 11-02-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Maybe it was my mood, but I had trouble getting back into Friday the 13: The Series, even though I was looking forward to seeing it again.
That one might be next on my list.

Next year I'll finish season 3 of 80s Twilight Zone. That one has been more misses than hits so far.

I have a decent list of tv shows I need to go through for future horror challenges:
Friday the 13th
Poltergeist
Thriller
The Veil
The Outer Limits - original series. This might get pulled out for the sci-fi challenge. I still want to pickup the newer version of Outer Limits sometime.
Twilight Zone - original series on blu-ray. I've seen most of these already, so it'll be last.

I managed to avoid burnout for the most part, even though Twilight Zone was really pushing it.
Old 11-02-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Shack View Post
That said, I'll give a tip of the hat to Cardsfan111's great spooky top image. Who knew hugs could be so scary...?
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I stole this image, and my coulrophobe Facebook friends loved it!
First time I've changed my top image in years. But I noticed that picture kept popping up in several places and thought it was perfect. Glad others enjoyed it as well.
Old 11-02-15, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 156 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I totally agree with all of the above. I struggle to see as many movies as I can. Why the fuck do I want to spend an hour or more a day making my list "look pretty?" It takes enough time just to keep up with a list. If you want to waste the time making it look pretty, great for you. But I find it a waste of time and tend to just look at what people watched. Not how much color, pretty pictures, or what they ate and drank while watching the movie. If I want that, I will make an account on Facebook.

Those are some of the reasons why I never cast a vote for "best list."
I will take that as a vote to stop doing the seasonal beer part. Wasn't sure if it really went with the challenge anyway. And hey my liver won't protest too much.
Old 11-02-15, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
..Next year I'll finish season 3 of 80s Twilight Zone. That one has been more misses than hits so far.
I never cared much for that one. I love the original but the update just felt redundant. In all fairness I've only seen a half dozen random episodes so it could easily be that I just missed the good ones. Oddly enough I enjoy the 1995 The Outer Limits revival series - or at least the dozen or so episodes of that one I've seen to date.
I have a decent list of tv shows I need to go through for future horror challenges:
Friday the 13th
Poltergeist
Thriller
The Veil
The Outer Limits - original series. This might get pulled out for the sci-fi challenge. I still want to pickup the newer version of Outer Limits sometime.
Twilight Zone - original series on blu-ray. I've seen most of these already, so it'll be last.
That reminds me that I have several series I really need to focus on watching:
Thriller (I purchased this one when it came out and *still* haven't watched a episode - that was 5 years ago!)
The Veil (another I picked up loooong ago but haven't made time for!)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I've watched 2 seasons so far - a total blind buy that I've enjoyed but avoided it during the original airings)

I started picking up the 1995 version of The Outer Limits and have 3 seasons so far but all I've watched at this point are a few of those compilation discs they released early on - the ones that made me want to pick up the series.

I have the Ausie SS disc version of The Outer Limits in my purchase plans but other sales keep knocking it out of the running. If I didn't already have the Universal release I'm sure I'd move it up significantly!
I managed to avoid burnout for the most part, even though Twilight Zone was really pushing it.
I came close but didn't push myself as much this year. Still, by the 31st I was ready for something other than horror and started the Comedy Challenge as soon as dusk hit.

Even though I made a sizable reduction in my unwatched horror piles there're *still* enough horror films in them to hit 100 again.
Old 11-02-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 159 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
I will take that as a vote to stop doing the seasonal beer part. Wasn't sure if it really went with the challenge anyway. And hey my liver won't protest too much.
It wasn't really a dig at you directly. It was just a general statement regarding all the superfluous stuff that some people like to throw in. If you like doing it and don't mind the time it takes, go for it. I just personally pay no attention to it whatsoever. Others here may love it. I don't know if there has ever been a major discussion on it.
Old 11-02-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 159 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm surprised I watched as much as I did but I found myself getting back into Freddy's Nightmares. I remember finishing season 1 last year and it was getting bad. The second season picked up some, other than a bad episode here or there. It still wasn't really amazing but it was good enough to marathon through.

I liked how they'd have a few characters that would show up again to continue their stories, including a couple episodes starring Wally from Leave it to Beaver turning into a cannibal and continuing from there.

The only episode I didn't really care for was one where a lady moved into an apartment and found some letters in the wall that talked about an affair a guy was having a long time ago. That one just felt out of place compared to the other.
Has the entire series actually gotten a DVD release? If so, I must have overlooked it.

I really need to see the Wally episodes now.
Old 11-02-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I don't pay much attention to your comments on the brew, I *do* find it somewhat amazing that you're able to obtain a different one for every day of the month! It's been a while since I've been to a package store but I'd be surprised if you could get more than a dozen different brews, much less flavored, at any of them in this area.

FWIW I find your lists entertaining. Having the case photo is nice, your thoughts are fairly succinct and you have a rating system in place. Frankly everything that makes a really good and useful list for others.

Still, all I really look for when perusing others lists are ratings. If someone thinks highly of a film, and it's a sub-genre I generally enjoy, I'll read comments if available. But the lists are not something I use often tending to focus more on the discussion thread. That's why I post my thoughts here and rate the films in my list.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 11-02-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 306 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (I've watched 2 seasons so far - a total blind buy that I've enjoyed but avoided it during the original airings)
I'm also going through Buffy for the first time, and the great thing is that it works for the TV, action, fantasy, and horror challenges (and make-your-own if you want). I only fit in a couple episodes in October, but I'm midway through season 5 only watching during challenge months. Of course it's taken me like three years to get this far.
Old 11-02-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have none of that. You tell your liver to buck-up and soldier on. I love the seasonal beer list, and I enjoy seeing different customs of what people enjoy for Halloween. I may not comment on them very much, but I enjoy the hell out of your beer posts.
Old 11-02-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
I'll have none of that. You tell your liver to buck-up and soldier on. I love the seasonal beer list, and I enjoy seeing different customs of what people enjoy for Halloween. I may not comment on them very much, but I enjoy the hell out of your beer posts.
I took a photo of all the seasonal beers in the specialty shop, but couldn't figure out how to upload it from the phone. This shop had about 60 different seasonal beers. I'm a fan of the beer posts as well.
Old 11-02-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent View Post
Ditto. I enjoy the beer/ movie pairings. They add a festive note to the challenge.
Old 11-02-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I never cared much for that one. I love the original but the update just felt redundant. In all fairness I've only seen a half dozen random episodes so it could easily be that I just missed the good ones.
The only 3 I remembered as a kid were all from season 2. The fortune cookie one with Elliott Gould, the remake of the original with the mannequins that get to leave the store, and the kid with bad parents that went to the zoo and ended up getting new parents.

There was a lot more bad than good but the commentaries, especially the Wes Craven ones, make up for it. The worst episodes were the ones where you knew how it would end within the first couple minutes and the episode ended up being 30 minutes *coughcoughRayBradburycoughcough*

I do remember liking The Outer Limits a lot better. We rented a bunch of them on vhs back then.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Has the entire series actually gotten a DVD release? If so, I must have overlooked it.

I really need to see the Wally episodes now.
I downloaded it since they only have some episodes on DVD and I don't think they're any of the Wally episodes.

It wasn't until a few minutes into the episode before I realized who he was. I apparently wasn't paying enough attention because his hat was enough to disguise him for me. The episodes weren't amazing but seeing him pop up for a few of them was a big highlight for me
Old 11-02-15, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 191 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
I usually try to write a comment next to the movie title, like you did in your list (look back at some of my old lists), but some years I don't find the time to do it. This was one of those years. I doubt it ruined anyone's year to not have the chance to read me make a joke about how WolfCop is about a cop who becomes a werewolf and "takes a bite outta crime."
No, but you ruined ten seconds of my life thinking about that film again.
Originally Posted by brainee View Post

I too appreciate the IMDb and/or wiki links. If a film looks interesting from someone's comments (or even just the title) it's nice to have a quick link to more info.
Friday the 13th
Poltergeist
Thriller
The Veil
Twilight Zone - original series on blu-ray. I've seen most of these already, so it'll be last
I was going to plow thru some seasons this month, but somehow forgot all about that plan. I think I have all those seasons you mention in my never ending queue, and others like Supernatural.
And here's another vote to keep the brew list coming!
Old 11-02-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Another vote for SterlingBrew!
Old 11-02-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I just finshed typing my list... and it messed up... guess ill finish tommrow.

I 100% did the checklist... i didn't get to do it with no doubles, but I hit everycheck.
Old 11-02-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 327 Likes on 138 Posts

That one might be next on my list.

Next year I'll finish season 3 of 80s Twilight Zone. That one has been more misses than hits so far.

Friday the 13th
Poltergeist
Thriller
The Veil

I planned on getting a few episodes of that other hugely underrated British Thriller that no one ever talks about, but got sidetracked. The Boris version I need to pick up. The few episodes I've caught on MeTV were pretty fantastic.

No! Tell your liver to suck it up. That was one of the major highlights of my list thread tabulating that made it tolerable.
Old 11-02-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to be clear, my original comments about lists what just the criteria I use when voting for what I consider the "best" lists. Obviously, every list is different and many aren't looking to get votes for their lists and are just using it to keep track of their films.

This has brought some interesting things to the forefront, though. It appears that this discussion thread is probably the most vital element of the challenge. I have seen other forums (HorrorDVDs for example) that just create threads like this where people discuss what they've seen minus the separated individualized lists.

I believe a lot of this has to do with how we're all using social media and texting more increasingly. The reaction forum is most interactive and responsive. Hell, the lists may themselves be too antiquated for this point in time, especially if we're not reading them as much as a collective.
Old 11-02-15, 04:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My list is complete. I finished the checklist without duplicates.

Thanks to Chad for his hard work on the challenge! And to GoldenWheels for the prizes!
Old 11-02-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I planned on getting a few episodes of that other hugely underrated British Thriller that no one ever talks about, but got sidetracked.
Just put that one on my to get list.
http://www.amazon.com/Thriller-Compl.../dp/B00S1VJRJU
Old 11-02-15, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I planned on getting a few episodes of that other hugely underrated British Thriller that no one ever talks about, but got sidetracked. The Boris version I need to pick up. The few episodes I've caught on MeTV were pretty fantastic.
I keep putting that one in my cart and taking it out. It would be a total blind-buy and I just can't decide if I'd like it or not. One day it sounds really good and the next it sounds like "just another mystery" show. :/
Old 11-02-15, 05:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 191 Likes on 136 Posts

I planned on getting a few episodes of that other hugely underrated British Thriller that no one ever talks about, but got sidetracked.
Just put that one on my to get list.
http://www.amazon.com/Thriller-Compl.../dp/B00S1VJRJU
At $27 shipped I couldn't resist. You two stink.
Old 11-02-15, 05:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I stole this image, and my coulrophobe Facebook friends loved it!
Plus I learned a new word! Another benefit of the Challenge!
Old 11-02-15, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm surprised I watched as much as I did but I found myself getting back into Freddy's Nightmares.
I wanted to start on Freddy's Nightmares, Masters of Horror and Nightmares and Dreamscapes unfortunately October only has so many days. Who do I go see about extending October?

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
I actually go through the entire lists thread, post-October looking for stuff that might interest me. I wish I had the time to put into making the list more visually appealing, but I have to weigh time spent making the list vs watching movies. I feel the same way regarding Comments/ thoughts/ reviews.
I might skim through some lists during the month particularly the ones were people actually rate the movies. I look for two things similar taste in movies and movies I have not saw that they rated high. Its mostly about finding new stuff to watch that I might like. I also look at the lists more closely after the challenge is over when I have more time.

I also rate how much I liked the movies I watched, and also write a few short comments on some of them. As for the appearance of my list, I only work on it enough for me to be satisfied with the appearance of it. Hats off to those that go the extra mile on them.

Last edited by CrazyMat; 11-02-15 at 06:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.