Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
...[a]lso, so I could put it into circulation for those in my area. I hope my community is thankful.
'..nine, ten, never sleep again..'
Old 10-30-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Hi all, looking for a few suggestions for this evening watching (before tomorrow's all Halloween themed flicks)

What has been your favorite watch of the challenge so far?
Probably the Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) with Maureen O'Hara, What We Do in the Shadows, Tge Final Girls, Wyrmwood and Vamp U. To be joined by Tucker & Dale.. tomorrow..!

Last edited by ntnon; 10-30-15 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-30-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Synapse donations have arrived!

5 Blu-ray copies of:

Mosquito (1995)

5 Blu-ray copies of:

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2oLto_YZIDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-30-15, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm a lucky guy. No work for me tomorrow! I guess my plans are still solid. Even luckier is that the last film remaining on the daily subset list, The Midnight Hour, looks like it works for today's theme. It has witch in the plot keywords section on IMDB. Good enough for me!
Old 10-30-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm doing a haunted corn maze and haunted house tonight. I did the regular corn maze last year but not the haunted one. It's one of those huge ones and we spent at least an hour in it.

My wife won't do the haunted house put on by the local theater group because it gave her nightmares last year.
Old 10-30-15, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been interested in watching The Babadook since it's been talked about and with some free Redbox codes I've been checking their website for availability near me. It's been strange that for several weeks, every copy is at kiosks at least 30 minutes away. I have at least a half dozen kiosks within 5 miles of where I live, but it's almost like that film wasn't added to them.

So yesterday, I had to travel an hour away from home. I intentionally picked up the movie and brought it home to watch. One, because I want to see it. Also, so I could put it into circulation for those in my area. I hope my community is thankful.
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I meant to post the other day, but in regards to the "what scares you" talk, The Taking of Deborah Logan is by far the scariest, and most satisfying movie I've watched this challenge. I'd say it even trumps The Babadook.

In regards to The Babadook MAJOR SPOILER:

Spoiler:
In the first few minutes you know this is a mental-health story, and everything the viewer will experience will be in the shared psychosis of the characters. No "monster" to be afraid of there. Except for the monster that is your mind. Which of course is the scariest one.

The Taking of Deborah Logan is on Netflix and also fits nicely in today's theme.
Originally Posted by WillieMLF
regarding The Babadook:
Spoiler:
I feel it's a bit more ambiguous for me regarding whether the Babadook is real or not. I've seen it several times and still can't say one way or another, which makes it much more satisfying for me.

Agree on Deborah Logan
Your community will like you if they don't have Netflix (I believe it is still on Netflix). Damn good movie and as one said
Spoiler:
who knows if the Babadook is real or not. Read both parts and I can see if going either way. She could be really f'd in the head, forgetting she wrote the story or B, the Babadook is really and going to mess you up.

Deborah Logan was interesting. Had some freaky moments and one of the better newer films out there. Not the best I've seen, but still really good.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm pretty sure one could watch 100 horror films a month, 12 months a year, and still be compliant in all 12 Challenges.
I smell a challenge I'm in if you're in.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just wondering if I'm the only one who is planning marathons for tonight and tomorrow?
Just started now (5PM) and don't plan on stopping outside of making food, bathroom, and getting drinks until 6 AM Sunday morning (and we get one extra hour, hell yes). Anyone else planning on staying up tonight until dusk Sunday?
Old 10-30-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'm doing a haunted corn maze and haunted house tonight. I did the regular corn maze last year but not the haunted one. It's one of those huge ones and we spent at least an hour in it.

My wife won't do the haunted house put on by the local theater group because it gave her nightmares last year.
Speaking of haunted houses, I live in Orange County, California. We have McKamey Manor in San Diego, 17th Door in Tustin (Orange County) and some f'd up shit in LA like Heretic House, most of these are year round. You all should look it up. The stuff we watch on TV is nothing compared to McKamey Manor where they make you vomit and waterboard you in a 7 hour "maze".
Old 10-30-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Don't we lose an hour on Saturday night?
Old 10-30-15, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
You had me scared and doubting myself for a record man. We fall forward, spring back. Thus we gain an hour in the fall: http://www.answers.com/Q/Do_you_gain...ht_Saving_Time
Old 10-30-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Speaking of haunted houses, I live in Orange County, California. We have McKamey Manor in San Diego, 17th Door in Tustin (Orange County) and some f'd up shit in LA like Heretic House, most of these are year round. You all should look it up. The stuff we watch on TV is nothing compared to McKamey Manor where they make you vomit and waterboard you in a 7 hour "maze".
I want to see video for the NY Blackout one they mentioned.
Old 10-30-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

You had me scared and doubting myself for a record man. We fall forward, spring back. Thus we gain an hour in the fall: http://www.answers.com/Q/Do_you_gain...ht_Saving_Time
Yeah, more time to fit in this year.
Old 10-30-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Earlier today I was listening to a local talk radio show, and it was a Halloween show. The topic was call in with your ghost encounters. One guy called in saying he had just had kidney surgery, and the nurse kept coming in, yelling at him for smoking in his room. When his mother came to visit him the next day the nurse told her that he was smoking in his room. She told him he didn't smoke, but her mother, who had been dead for years did smoke. When the nurse heard that he turned white as a sheet and slowly walked out of the room. He later quit.
Old 10-30-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Earlier today I was listening to a local talk radio show, and it was a Halloween show. The topic was call in with your ghost encounters. One guy called in saying he had just had kidney surgery, and the nurse kept coming in, yelling at him for smoking in his room. When his mother came to visit him the next day the nurse told her that he was smoking in his room. She told him he didn't smoke, but her mother, who had been dead for years did smoke. When the nurse heard that he turned white as a sheet and slowly walked out of the room. He later quit.
Anyone else think this story wasn't scary or good? So the nurse believed the spirit of his grandmother was there and it was actually him that smoked?
Old 10-30-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Perfect night to watch Mischief Night ( 2014 ), a very interesting twist on the Slasher Genre and something I've from time to time wondered about while watching these types of movies:

Spoiler:
What would happen if the intended victim actually started to fall for the slasher
Old 10-30-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I thought McKamey Manor moved to Illinois?
Old 10-30-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

You have it backwards. It's Spring forward, Fall back. But you're correct in that we gain an hour.
Old 10-31-15, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I don't recommend watching Japanese Hell unless you are watching it with a Japanese person.
Old 10-31-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

The Taking of Deborah Logan was excellent. My mother passed last year, and I'm grateful that she fell sick quickly and died without pain, instead of going through the slow death of Alzheimers.

I'm still up, so to kick off the day I'm watching The Halloween Tree, which is particularly meaningful this year to commemorate the voice of Mr. Moundshroud, Leonard Nimoy, who has gone before us into the October Country.
Old 10-31-15, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I thought McKamey Manor moved to Illinois?
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...kamey-returns/

Never happened. Went back open in San Diego. No safe word or anything like that, F that. Def not down for that.

I think I just hit 100. Got to look at the numbers. Did it with Spring which is wonderfully shot and a great romance horror story. Worth a watch and buy.
Old 10-31-15, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, more time to fit in this year.
According to Gaisma in addition to the normal variance dawn will come about one hour earlier too. So if we move the clocks back and watch until dawn than we neither gain or lose a hour only the clocks do. In other words dawn comes when dawn comes regardless of how we fiddle with the clocks.

Edit: Changed instead to in addition to

Last edited by CrazyMat; 10-31-15 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Edit: Changed instead to in addition to
Old 10-31-15, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
According to Gaisma instead of its normal variance dawn will come about one hour earlier too. So if we move the clocks back and watch until dawn than we neither gain or lose a hour only the clocks do. In other words dawn comes when dawn comes regardless of how we fiddle with the clocks.
Well we still get an hour of extra sleep lol. Google tells me dawn happens in Anaheim, CA at 5:44 AM which I'm guessing is taking into account of the 1 hour difference. I was stopping at 6 AM anyways so instead of bed at 6:44, I can sleep at 5:44. I'll gladly take that extra hour.
Old 10-31-15, 06:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I smell a challenge I'm in if you're in.
Tempting, but I don't watch TV the other 11 months.

You have it backwards. It's Spring forward, Fall back. But you're correct in that we gain an hour.
I'm sure I mention this once or twice a year here, but my late great dad tried to confuse us twice a year by doing this bit, complete with pantomime actions, "No kids, it's spring forward, fall back."
Perfect night to watch Mischief Night ( 2014 ), a very interesting twist on the Slasher Genre and something I've from time to time wondered about while watching these types of movies:

Spoiler:
What would happen if the intended victim actually started to fall for the slasher
Watched it last night too. It was a good premise, but not quite polished enough to become an annual tradition.
Old 10-31-15, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course last night being one of my fav movie themes, I had one of those puke-your-guts-out migraines and fell asleep at 7 PM. I have some serious watching to do if I plan to beat my all-time number (127).
Old 10-31-15, 07:02 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i watched we are still here last night. i would recommend it. it was a tight 75min movie with a couple of pretty good scares.

today is universal frankenstein marathon. i am going to try to watch all 8 or nine (including Abbott and Costello)
Old 10-31-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My apologies on being absent from the discussions the last few days. Real life has become a bit hectic. Nothing too bad but it's been busy and on top of that feeling burnt out and not wanting to watch more than 1 movie a day hasn't given me a ton to talk about and I won't be making 100 this year unfortunately.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.