Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-29-15, 02:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 191 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
Got a good laugh out of it Trevor.

Slow day at work, so I'll post another easy one.

Sweet. I vaguely recall being really excited to see this film, but only gave it a 5/10 when I saw it. Don't recall anything about it now really....

Speaking of rating films, I don't always do it, but I try to rate everything I watch on IMDB. I figure that's one site that is likely to stick around, and it's an easy way to track everything I view. I'm too lazy to maintain my own database.
Old 10-29-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Spoiler:
Was that shot in the movie? I saw it a few years ago (Edit: it was two years ago) and don't remember (I'm pretty sure it was used for the DVD cover).

Oh, and it's the movie where Hawkeye played a serial killer - Dahmer (2002).
Old 10-29-15, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
But more specifically the 1978 remake. There have been at least 4 filmed versions of this one.

The 1956 original, the excellent 1978 remake (one of a small handful of remakes worth your time), Body Snatchers (1993), and The Invasion (2007).

Body Snatchers (1993) isn't too bad but don't waste your time with The Invasion.
I support these conclusions.

What other horror-ish remakes do you all think are as good or better than the original?
Old 10-29-15, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
Got a good laugh out of it Trevor.

Slow day at work, so I'll post another easy one.

Spoiler:

Brain Damage (1988)
Old 10-29-15, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post

Name the movie this is from.
Did we ever solve this one?
Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post
Spoiler:
Was that shot in the movie? I saw it a few years ago (Edit: it was two years ago) and don't remember (I'm pretty sure it was used for the DVD cover).

Oh, and it's the movie where Hawkeye played a serial killer - Dahmer (2002).
I think there may be a scene in the film where he slinks back into the shadows, and this shot could be a cropped version of his face there; but you're probably right.

at your tagline!

And a very disturbing film, but his acting was incredible.
Old 10-29-15, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 306 Likes on 256 Posts

Another easy one:

Old 10-29-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Screenshot:
Spoiler:

Name the movie this is from.
Answer:
Spoiler:
Grindhouse, the Rob Zombie trailer interlude
Old 10-29-15, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 327 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Another easy one:

Spoiler:
Lifeforce.

What the hell happened to you, Tobe Hooper?

What other horror-ish remakes do you all think are as good or better than the original?
Obvious answers:
John Carpenter's The Thing
David Cronenberg's The Fly

Controversial answers:
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
The Blob (1988)

As the old saying goes ...you can count the number of good remakes on two hands, and the number of remakes superior to the original on one. Or something like that.
Old 10-29-15, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Spoiler:
Lifeforce.

What the hell happened to you, Tobe Hooper?
Finally watched my BD this month, love that film.
Obvious answers:

Controversial answers:
The Blob (1988)

As the old saying goes ...you can count the number of good remakes on two hands, and the number of remakes superior to the original on one. Or something like that.
Interesting. Agree on the obvious, and I'll give you a tie on the controversial.

Also, again, while I like the Japanese original, I think the American Ring works much better.
Old 10-29-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Obvious answers:

Controversial answers:
The Blob (1988)

Interesting. Agree on the obvious, and I'll give you a tie on the controversial.

Also, again, while I like the Japanese original, I think the American Ring works much better.
Things get a little tricky if you start distinguishing between a true remake (of an original movie) or a different adaptation of the same source (like how Carpenter's Thing clearly went back to the original novella, though the 50s movie also had an influence).

A strong argument can be made that Vincent Price's House of Wax is superior to Mysteries of the Wax Museum (which was mentioned this month in the movie thread).

If you're considering later versions of classic horror stories as remakes, oldies like Lugosi's Dracula have been improved upon. And having just watched an early version of Fall of the House of Usher, the Corman version is far superior.

I'm sure there are several other good examples that are more obscure, but their not coming out of my brain at the moment
Old 10-29-15, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

Obvious answers:

Controversial answers:
The Blob (1988)

I'm very much "old school" on my horror and prefer the originals to the remakes on all four of those. BUT all four are among the very small handful of remakes I consider *as good* as the originals, will watch without someone having to ask, and unreservedly recommend to people.

I've not seen either version of Ring but hope to remedy that some day to decide for myself which is better as reviews are decidedly mixed.

Others I just thought of:

Let the Right One In (2008) and Let Me In (2010). Both are very good and I'd recommend either with a slight nod to the Swedish original unless you just hate subtitles.

Horror of Dracula (1954) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1974) (original: Dracula 1931). Both are very good and worth a viewing.

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979) (original: Nosferatu 1922). I prefer Herzog's remake over the original.

The Mummy (1959) (actually more a amalgam of several of the Universal Mummy films but coming off better for the cherry picking of sequences)

I actually enjoy Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994) and consider it to be worthy of its heritage and of course there are a few good Hammer Frankenstein "remakes" with Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969) perhaps being the best.
Old 10-29-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Seriously, found footage isn't easy to pull off BECAUSE of this reason. You need to have a realistic reason for the character to be filming, in peril or not.
I'm surprised (unless I missed it) that there's been no re-adaptation of Dracula, using video-blogging - or some other social media guff - instead of the diary/letter format. I presume someone somewhere has done Dracula-by-Twitter at least..
Old 10-29-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

#100! Horror of Dracula.

HoD was nowhere near as bloody or scary as I'd heard or read or expected. I'm sure it's a pretty good film in its own right, but we got very hung up on the weird changes to the "proper" story - characters die who shouldn't; Seward's barely there as a family doctor; the wrong people are married and SOMEONE has a daughter! Seriously, whose daughter was that girl (Tanya?) - and where did she vanish to after she'd served her plot-purpose..?!

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Eh, just another example internet group-think. I've been around the internet long enough to recognize real opinions that I can value. And people who are being contrarian for the sake of it, with a lot of sheep piling on those opinions. BWP is bad for that. Dark Knight is too (going from "this looks awful" to "oh my god! best thing ever!" to "meh ... overrated")
(Nothing to do with Horror, but I just wanted to get a dig in about Dark Knight - those three statements basically do an adequate job of accurately summarising the arcs of the film! Old Bruce to epic Bane, Catwoman and chase scenes to stupid policemen, terrible plot twist and rubbish ending..)
Old 10-29-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was browsing through my cable box onscreen guide to see what El Rey was airing on Halloween. It looks like a repeated loop of all the Puppet Master movies. What genre does my cable guide classify Puppet Master as? "Hobbies and Crafts" I guess that's one way of looking at it
Old 10-29-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Things get a little tricky if you start distinguishing between a true remake (of an original movie) or a different adaptation of the same source (like how Carpenter's Thing clearly went back to the original novella, though the 50s movie also had an influence).
Well put. I certainly try to distinguish between "re-adaptations" and "remakes", but the line can be blurry sometines because the True Source does not necessarily prelude it being a 'remake'...

..and several Actual Re-adaptations can't escape from being influenced by famous earlier adaptations, and therefore fall into a hazy middle ground between re-adapt and re-make..

A couple of years ago I quite enjoyed the more recent (Barbossa, Jean Gray & Taye Diggs) Haunting of Hill House - as a wholly different-but-similar reworking. It's probably definitely not "better", but it isn't awful, as so many are.

Last edited by ntnon; 10-29-15 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was browsing through my cable box onscreen guide to see what El Rey was airing on Halloween. It looks like a repeated loop of all the Puppet Master movies. What genre does my cable guide classify Puppet Master as? "Hobbies and Crafts" I guess that's one way of looking at it
Interesting, thought they would do Dusk til Dawn or something like that.

I can't see it as happening. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe if I lived in a more urban area? Right now I'm a few minutes away from being able to get on an unpaved forestry road that I could get my car stuck on, if that was my goal.
Eh, going into the woods, getting lost, and then getting f'd with by god knows what. Seems believable to me compared to most horror films.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian View Post
Creep was probably the dumbest usage of the whole "found footage" craze I've seen yet. So many moments where you are asked to ludicrously suspend your disbelief that the camera holder would STILL be holding on to the camera or certain elements are recorded at all (ie: why is he recording himself sleeping for no reason outside of we need a reason to have the camera on when a scare happens).

Seriously, found footage isn't easy to pull off BECAUSE of this reason. You need to have a realistic reason for the character to be filming, in peril or not.
Pretty much agree. Then again, that can be said about a lot of horror movies. F helping others or recording what is happening. I'm getting the hell out of there and looking back to save no one because I'd probably be dead myself if I try to help.

With comedy happening in Nov., for those that don't want the horror to end, why not do horror comedy? I mean Freddy vs Jason, the Scary Movie franchise, and a bunch of other horror is basically comedy with blood and a couple of scares.
Old 10-29-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Curse 2: The Bite (1989) might be the weirdest thing I've seen all month...
Old 10-29-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 327 Likes on 138 Posts

I love it in Italian horror films when someone's in peril and the other characters spend 10 minutes contemplating what they're gonna do to help ...as opposed to actually doing something.

Hope I didn't kill the game with this one.

Hint: There's a connection to "The Island of Dr. Moreau".
Old 10-29-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Got done re-watching Return of the Vampire just now. I didn't notice it the first time but
Spoiler:
Did the nazis accidentally save the day by bombing the crypt?

I was browsing through my cable box onscreen guide to see what El Rey was airing on Halloween. It looks like a repeated loop of all the Puppet Master movies.
Yeah, I haven't seen 3-5 of that franchise yet. That's the first thing I'll be watching saturday morning.

Tomorrow, I'll be watching what's on my arm:

Anybody else (Who's got horror-movie tats) doing the same thing on Halloween?
Old 10-29-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Yeah, I haven't seen 3-5 of that franchise yet. That's the first thing I'll be watching saturday morning
A word of warning about El Rey ... during the day, they usually show "edited for television" versions of movies. At night they'll pretty much show anything (nudity, language, gore).
Old 10-29-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Eh, going into the woods, getting lost, and then getting f'd with by god knows what. Seems believable to me compared to most horror films.
I saw it more as, let me go deep into the woods and then throw my map away. When being messed with and my body goes into a natural reaction of fight or flight, I've evolved to the next level of human evolution so that in flight mode, my body makes sure I'm carrying a camera and filming everything.

That combined with a weak story just doesn't cut it for me to be realistic.
Old 10-29-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched a widescreen version of Night of the Living Dead(1968) tonight on Youtube. It was pretty cool seeing it this way and was well framed. The print is really blown out though, but I did some slight adjustments to the brightness and contrast levels to at least make the blacks black instead of fuzzy grey. The scenes with any bright lights in them are impossible to tweak(but turning down the brightness helped a little bit), since they're really blown out, and this makes any onscreen titles impossible to read. So I had to just leave that stuff alone. But if you want a more raw experience with the film, via an old scratched up and so forth film print. It's worth checking out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vKUw-CiKHAo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Meanwhile, I worked on my scary short today and shot some more stuff, and now will begin piecing it together and see how it turns out.
Old 10-30-15, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I started today's challenge viewing by finishing a movie I started last week, but never got around to finishing, Croczilla, on Frightpix, on Roku. I think I've seen it before, so not listing it as a first time view, but I still enjoyed it. But then, I like the genre.
Old 10-30-15, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been interested in watching The Babadook since it's been talked about and with some free Redbox codes I've been checking their website for availability near me. It's been strange that for several weeks, every copy is at kiosks at least 30 minutes away. I have at least a half dozen kiosks within 5 miles of where I live, but it's almost like that film wasn't added to them.

So yesterday, I had to travel an hour away from home. I intentionally picked up the movie and brought it home to watch. One, because I want to see it. Also, so I could put it into circulation for those in my area. I hope my community is thankful.
Old 10-30-15, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
With comedy happening in Nov., for those that don't want the horror to end, why not do horror comedy? I mean Freddy vs Jason, the Scary Movie franchise, and a bunch of other horror is basically comedy with blood and a couple of scares.
I'm pretty sure one could watch 100 horror films a month, 12 months a year, and still be compliant in all 12 Challenges.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.