Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Fuck the new Paranormal Activity film. Biggest dud of an ending. Worse than Saw and Dexter/
Really? I keep hearing bad things about it but I'm a fan of the series. Plus I wanna hit the theaters at least once this month.

I might check out this new Horror Comedy out this Friday starring Vanessa Hudgens, involving Vampires, Zombies and Aliens.

Old 10-28-15, 08:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

So following up on the 'what scares you' conversation, I was saddened to read that a lot of you apparently don't get scared very easily. For me, that's by far the main reason to watch these things. So what motivates you if it's not to be scared?

I don't think I mentioned it when we had a little discussion on that documentary about haunted houses (The American Scream), but there was a great line at the end that was something like,
when you're scared, you're most alive.
Old 10-28-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
So following up on the 'what scares you' conversation, I was saddened to read that a lot of you apparently don't get scared very easily. For me, that's by far the main reason to watch these things. So what motivates you if it's not to be scared?

I don't think I mentioned it when we had a little discussion on that documentary about haunted houses (The American Scream), but there was a great line at the end that was something like,
when i was younger i was scared of everything and i remember enjoying it and the thrill of sneaking in a horror movie past my parents (even tho theyd always find out because i have trouble sleeping)

now though i never get scared or jumpy....i still favor horror over others because i like the atmosphere, the idea of sitting around a campire telling ghost stories digitally, the unintentional humor, seeing what ways new directors can push the boundries, and maybe always hoping to relive that feeling as a child.

Fear is the only emotion that you cant control so i always felt it should be embraced
Old 10-28-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I didn't watch a lot of horror movies growing up -- probably too scared -- so I guess I'm catching up especially with franchises and vintage horror (Hammer, Vincent Price, etc.).
Old 10-28-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

The century mark is in sight. I'm currently sitting at 99. Once I get home from work, I'll watch another daily subset film to push me over the line. I think I have four daily subset films remaining. I'll get at least one done tonight, but I'm hoping for two. We'll see because Wednesday is usually TV night. My friends and I will watch American Horror Story and Scream Queens. At least it will be another entry.
Old 10-28-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Finding effective scary horror is a thrill but there are gradients of suspense, sometimes a movie isn't 'scary' but it leaves you in a lull considering what you've seen or presented imagery in an interesting and/or suspenseful manner. Also one thing that's uniquely great about horror is the pitch black comedy that so many movies carry; be it 'so bad it's good' over the top ambitiousness or earnest attempts at infuse levity into some macabre premise. The unflinching look at more brutal themes or mature imagery is also interesting, horror movies seem to get away with more than action films or drama focused on general audiences so the 'exploitation' element adds some merit to horror films (even if it's just the brain dead thrill of visceral popcorn gore or nudity). At it's best horror can be intellectually challenging forcing the viewer to watch say a girl get raped and revenge herself as a metaphor for social action, challenging morality tales that make us question ourselves, or flaunting a intense psychological exploration of human nature.
Old 10-28-15, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DEEveeDEE3
First one was Let Us Prey... Liam Cunningham was superb mysterious man... this was a very well made movie. Had some nice gore too...
Let Us Prey might be my favorite first time viewing this month; it's a really great film with good imagery, an eerie vibe, and even some tense action style scenes. Often when films get so transparent over explaining or selling their twist it can be annoying, almost 'talking down' to the viewer but Let Us Prey rolls around in it full embracing it's reveal and kicking it up into a surreal frenzy that works beautifully.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
...I suffered through The Human Centipede III: Final Sequence so you wouldn't have to...
I still can't believe they even made one Human Centipede movie, much less three... filth the lot of it is even if part 2 was uniquely creative.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-28-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 09:31 AM

Guess the screenshot game, spoiler your answers.
Old 10-28-15, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Finding effective scary horror is a thrill but there are gradients of suspense, sometimes a movie isn't 'scary' but it leaves you in a lull considering what you've seen or presented imagery in an interesting and/or suspenseful manner. Also one thing that's uniquely great about horror is the pitch black comedy that so many movies carry; be it 'so bad it's good' over the top ambitiousness or earnest attempts at infuse levity into some macabre premise. The unflinching look at more brutal themes or mature imagery is also interesting, horror movies seem to get away with more than action films or drama focused on general audiences so the 'exploitation' element adds some merit to horror films (even if it's just the brain dead thrill of visceral popcorn gore or nudity). At it's best horror can be intellectually challenging forcing the viewer to watch say a girl get raped and revenge herself as a metaphor for social action, challenging morality tales that make us question ourselves, or flaunting a intense psychological exploration of human nature.
Great answer. You sound like a professor.
Let Us Prey might be my favorite first time viewing this month; it's a really great film with good imagery, an eerie vibe, and even some tense action scenes.
Agree, one of my top FTVs so far.
Old 10-28-15, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if there's a "term" for what scares me, but in Insidious the part where you hear the kid's heart monitor beeping from the other room, man, that's too much for me.

Paranormally-sick-kids-in-a-hospital-bed-at-home-in-the-room-that's-too-cold-and-you-don't-want-to-look-aphobia, I believe might be what it's called.
Old 10-28-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I didn't grow up watching horror films and still get very anxious watching them (and violent content in general). My parents like to tell people that when I was six, I watched Scooby-Doo by peering into the living room from the hallway, because it got too intense.

Even at thirty-one, most horror films scare me. I mentioned that I had to check my whole apartment after watching Halloween to make sure no maniacs were hiding in the closet.
Old 10-28-15, 09:40 AM

Here's another screenshot to guess

Edit: Nevermind, blah... broken image...
Spoiler:
Trevor's screenshot is from the best movie ever

Spoiler:
Rosemary's Baby

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-28-15 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Spoiler:
Rosemary's Baby! (Already shared the below fan art, but isn't the Internet for shameless self promotion?)

Old 10-28-15, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
[Edit: Removed screenshot spoiler info but kept spoilered for size]
Spoiler:
Wow... you drew that? Excellent.
Old 10-28-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

For the most part, I watch horror to be scared. I remember going to see The Blair Witch Project on opening night. As the climax of the film hit, there was a collective gasp from the packed audience, and every hair in the back of my neck was standing on end. I was supremely affected that night, refusing to walk the dog when I got home. Re-watching that movie doesn't effect me the same way anymore, but I still love it for that moment of terror on opening night.
Old 10-28-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let Us Prey might be my favorite first time viewing this month; it's a really great film with good imagery, an eerie vibe, and even some tense action style scenes. Often when films get so transparent over explaining or selling their twist it can be annoying, almost 'talking down' to the viewer but Let Us Prey rolls around in it full embracing it's reveal and kicking it up into a surreal frenzy that works beautifully. I still can't believe they even made one Human Centipede movie, much less three... filth the lot of it is even if part 2 was uniquely creative.
Love/Love/Love Let Us Prey. VERY SLICK looking movie. It moved along rather quickly, and I was surprised it was over.
Old 10-28-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's another screenshot to guess

Spoiler:
Tales of the Broken Image Link?

The filename gives it away.

VHS keeps getting worse and worse.

Spoiler:
I watched the one with the girl in the apartment that hears noises and video chats with her boyfriend. Other than ghost/alien things that make noises from one of the most popular numbers station around, Swedish Rhaposdy, I liked the part where she goes to investigate, holding the laptop in her hand. Then the guy asks if she has a weapon, so she gets some kitchen scissors. But since it's dark and she doesn't have lights for some reason, she needs a flashlight but uses a camera flash instead.

She apparently holds that with arm number 3.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-28-15 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 10:02 AM

Undeadcow's post pretty much sums up my feelings. I also don't go into any films for a particular reason, so i don't go into a horror movie expecting to be scared or a comedy expecting to laugh, I just go in to experience a film. A film that affects me emotionally in any capacity is very rare and I value those above all others, but horror for me is the most confronting, creative and intellectual genre (despite general dismissal), because most films say nothing to me but most horror films do. the issues they explore - whether they be high concept or low concept or personal or whatever - are usually more interesting to me and communicate better with me.
Old 10-28-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
For the most part, I watch horror to be scared. I remember going to see The Blair Witch Project on opening night. As the climax of the film hit, there was a collective gasp from the packed audience, and every hair in the back of my neck was standing on end. I was supremely affected that night, refusing to walk the dog when I got home. Re-watching that movie doesn't effect me the same way anymore, but I still love it for that moment of terror on opening night.
We had no gasp but someone said what I was thinking, "That's it?"

I didn't follow the lead up to the film since I was out of the country for most of that. Even though I thought the entire thing was boring, I'll admit I was really getting anxious, expecting something big to happen at the end.

Maybe I just don't get what's supposed to be horror these days. The Visit was ok. At least the best found footage type film I've seen, other than the classic Cannibal Holocaust. VHS and It Follows were supposed to be super amazing but the opposite for me.

And don't get me started on that rap music kids are listening to, or as we call it in the nursing home, crap music.
Old 10-28-15, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll have a go....

Old 10-28-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

watched the i spit on your grave series...took a toll. i enjoyed all but the third one just didnt have the same flow as the others.

now my niece is coming up this weekend and wants a movie to watch together her favorite horror movie is the descent bc of the panic it cause her...can anyone recommend something similiar
Old 10-28-15, 10:31 AM

I love the Blair Witch Project and seeing it in theaters was one of my favorite moving going experiences... but I understand how divided it makes people.
Originally Posted by terrycloth
watched the i spit on your grave series...took a toll. i enjoyed all but the third one just didnt have the same flow as the others.

now my niece is coming up this weekend and wants a movie to watch together her favorite horror movie is the descent bc of the panic it cause her...can anyone recommend something similiar
High Lane is on Netflix streaming; it reminded me of The Descent mixing picturesque mountain climbing and some subterranean settings with a lot of high escalation imagery and a vague slasher feel. It's in a foreign language so not sure if subtitles are a deal breaker.

As Above So Below is another movie I really enjoyed; it's also set underground but has more of a fantasy feel to it with some focus on alchemy mythology dipping into the surreal and it a 'found footage' style film.
I'll have a go...
Tough one, nicely done...
Old 10-28-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I mostly agree with what Unleaded Cow said. Unfortunately, I've become desensitized to most horror movies. I also find that living in a small apartment with the bedrooms in close proximity to the living room (where the main TV is) doesn't help when it comes to fully immersing myself in the movie. I was home alone when I watched The Strangers for the first time so it was incredibly effective. If I had watched it the way I normally watch movies, somebody would be coming in and out of the room or I'd hear somebody in the next room talking. I can get more into the movie after everyone has gone to bed, but I still risk the occasional kid coming out of their room to get water or use the bathroom. And I have to keep the volume in check so I don't wake everybody up.
Old 10-28-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I'll have a go....

It is from the popular Japanese film
Spoiler:
sihksxdmslbfdfbzmyaq
Old 10-28-15, 11:08 AM

"+1" [Plus One, 2013] on Netflix is worth checking out for an intelligent abstract movie that blends science fiction and horror elements in a party background sort of like The Butterfly Effect meets the Piranha remake; it's not outright horror and maybe "scifi thriller" is a better term but I think it counts and is a nice diversion from some of the typical bleakness of typical horror movies. +1 is a film that will stay with you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.