Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I watched Deadly Friend tonight. The Warner Bros dvd turns out to be uncut/uncensored since it's noticeably more explicit in a few sequences. So that's a nice surprise. The movie's actually pretty good, and I've always enjoyed it since I was a kid. It's been at least 15 years or more since I last saw it. So I'm glad it still was entertaining, and not nearly as bad as it's reputation suggests.
Basketballs!
Old 10-07-15, 04:26 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

today will be the first day i don't have time to watch anything, working 14 hours then its time for the Cubs game, after 26 years of being a fan, i really hope tonight's wild card game will bring a win and won't count as a horror wild card for me.
Old 10-07-15, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For today's theme movie, I revisited the 1931 Frankenstein. I've always loved the Universal Monster Movies. I also noticed something that either I had never noticed before, or had forgotten, but Edward Van Sloan, who played Van Helsing in Dracula, also starred in Frankenstein.
Old 10-07-15, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Once upon a time I loved Hammer horror. The great thing about these challenges is the push it gives me to revisit those films. Imagine how surprised I was when I realized there were still three Christopher Lee Dracula films…that I’ve never seen! I have two of them in my collection, so I finally watched those for this challenge: THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA (1973) and TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA (1970).

SATANIC RITES was meant as a sequel to DRACULA A.D. 1972, which I’d seen in a theater when it came out. When SATANIC RITES was first announced I remember being very excited at the prospect of yet another Cushing-Lee Dracula film. However, it never opened in NYC and it fell off my radar in the subsequent years. A few years ago, I was given a Xmas gift of “Cult Horror Film Collection,” a p.d. two-disc set filled with trailers and two films, COUNT DRACULA AND HIS VAMPIRE BRIDES and LADY FRANKENSTEIN. I figured the Dracula film was a retitling of something, but it wasn’t until I actually put it in the DVD player for this challenge that I realized it was THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA. So I watched it. And I understand why it never got released to theaters in New York. It’s pretty awful. Dumb plot, weak cast except for the two leads, and very low budget. TASTE THE BLOOD is not nearly as awful, so it was a much better watch, although it’s still one of the weakest of the Hammer Dracula films I’ve seen. Great cast, though, including Linda Hayden, Ralph Bates and Geoffrey Keen, and a score by the great James Bernard. Now I want to re-watch the good ones.

I’ve still never seen SCARS OF DRACULA. And I don’t have a copy of it.
Old 10-07-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After finishing 100 Years of Horror last night, I came across another interesting documentary series on Hulu, called Celtic Monsters. I just watched an interesting episode that told tales of demons.
Old 10-07-15, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

For the first time since 2007, the Mets will dig into my horror movies.
Old 10-07-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Sorry to hear about that. Losing a pet is rough. I've found that if the pet isn't a dog or cat, it's hard to get people to understand how important they are. As a kid, I had a canary and a parakeet, and I was very distraught when they died.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm sorry to hear that. I know how it can feel to lose a pet.
Thanks. My son is allergic to dogs and cats, so our pet choices have always been fairly limited. This is the first pet I've had in almost 13 years that I was actually able to interact with. Prior to this, it was a betta fish and my wife's asshole turtle. I could interact a bit with the turtle, but it is a mean, nasty creature that will probably outlive us all. I honestly never thought that the death of a hamster could have made me the huge mess that I was last night.
Old 10-07-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by bse
today will be the first day i don't have time to watch anything, working 14 hours then its time for the Cubs game, after 26 years of being a fan, i really hope tonight's wild card game will bring a win and won't count as a horror wild card for me.
Originally Posted by Darkgod
For the first time since 2007, the Mets will dig into my horror movies.
I can relate, though it's happened more often for me.

It's another reason why October is my favorite month--watching the baseball postseason. But that always throws a small wrench into the OHMC. And it doesn't have to be my team I'm watching. I caught most of last night's wild card game and plan to tune in to the one this evening.
Old 10-07-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I watched Deadly Friend tonight. The Warner Bros dvd turns out to be uncut/uncensored since it's noticeably more explicit in a few sequences. So that's a nice surprise. The movie's actually pretty good, and I've always enjoyed it since I was a kid. It's been at least 15 years or more since I last saw it. So I'm glad it still was entertaining, and not nearly as bad as it's reputation suggests.
I got that in a set of various cheap horror films years ago. Thought it was surprisingly enjoyable. I think it was my favorite from the set.
Old 10-07-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I hit a bit of a wall last night for the first time this challenge. I wanted to get one more title in, but despite being into the movie, I just couldn't keep my eyes open. I'll need to catch up with the movie again.

Today is my mom's birthday, so I need to have dinner with them. That will cut into some of my time. But after that, I need to get the theme movie watched, and I will have friends over for the American Horror Story premiere. Busy day!

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Thanks. My son is allergic to dogs and cats, so our pet choices have always been fairly limited. This is the first pet I've had in almost 13 years that I was actually able to interact with. Prior to this, it was a betta fish and my wife's asshole turtle. I could interact a bit with the turtle, but it is a mean, nasty creature that will probably outlive us all. I honestly never thought that the death of a hamster could have made me the huge mess that I was last night.
A pet is a pet, whatever it is. They become a part of the family. I can certainly understand your reaction and am sorry for the loss. My German shepherd is 11 years old. He's still pretty damn healthy despite arthritis that has greatly slowed him down and his hearing that is starting to go. I'll be a mess when that day comes.
Old 10-07-15, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Work's cancelled at my campus today due to a threat. More time for movies.
Old 10-07-15, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Work's cancelled at my campus today due to a threat. More time for movies.
I hope everything is ok?
Old 10-07-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With a friend's rabbit dying the other day, and my mom in the hospital Monday night, lately, I've been finding it harder and harder to get up the motivation for horror.
Old 10-07-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope everything is ok?
I guess someone left a note in our Ed/Psych building.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...n-note-n439846
Old 10-07-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just last night we discovered that Classic Hammer icon Barbara Steele was hospitalized with an undisclosed illness and has undergone a blood transfusion. Get well cards are being accepted by Monster Bash and will all be forwarded directly to her. You can mail get well cards to: Monster Bash, P.O. Box 23, Ligonier, PA 15658. I'm calling out the Kreep Kastle to show your support! A card a note, anything. Let's let her know how much she is loved by our community.
http://kreepykastle.com/barbara-steele/
Old 10-07-15, 10:56 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I just lost my 10 year old Great Pyrenees who died in his sleep. I'm grateful that he went peacefully but his intelligence makes him very hard to forget. Fortunately I have a Puggle which helps, the only problem is that every time that he is in a deep sleep I am afraid that he is dead also. It's a little freaky.
Old 10-07-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

With a friend's rabbit dying the other day, and my mom in the hospital Monday night, lately, I've been finding it harder and harder to get up the motivation for horror.
I struggled to get through 2 last night. It literally took me about 5 hours to get through them. I'd started a third, but kept conking out on it.
Old 10-07-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

If anyone is looking for an uncommon movie to fit today's theme The Curse (1987) is an excellent choice, streaming on Youtube - an adaptation of H. P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space and a standout movie for me so far this challenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySoyWcelFU8

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-07-15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Just last night we discovered that Classic Hammer icon Barbara Steele was hospitalized with an undisclosed illness and has undergone a blood transfusion. Get well cards are being accepted by Monster Bash and will all be forwarded directly to her. You can mail get well cards to: Monster Bash, P.O. Box 23, Ligonier, PA 15658. I'm calling out the Kreep Kastle to show your support! A card a note, anything. Let's let her know how much she is loved by our community.
http://kreepykastle.com/barbara-steele/
She is one of my favorites...but to my knowledge never did a Hammer movie? Am I wrong or is Kreepy Kastle wrong?

Black Sunday and Nightmare Castle are some of my favorite horror movies period though--if anyone hasn't seen them and they are feeling gothic....now is the time!!!
Old 10-07-15, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Scars is...not good, in many ways. Very un-special "special" effects being a main one. I still find it far better than Satanic Rites though.
Old 10-07-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

For today's theme movie, I revisited the 1931 Frankenstein. I've always loved the Universal Monster Movies. I also noticed something that either I had never noticed before, or had forgotten, but Edward Van Sloan, who played Van Helsing in Dracula, also starred in Frankenstein.
I managed to get in Frankenstein too yesterday. These films have a shorter running time that fit in nicely if you're short on time. And a lot of day's I am.
I did notice that Van Sloan was in both movies. I can only go wild on my day's off with extra viewings. On most working day's I can only fit in 1 or 2 entries.
The Universal titles had fared well with me because of that reason.
Old 10-07-15, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
She is one of my favorites...but to my knowledge never did a Hammer movie? Am I wrong or is Kreepy Kastle wrong?
I think you're right. The closest I found was an interview that brought up people wanted to see the two together but it never happened.

I forget who it was that had their Roku die but preorders for the new one recently went up. https://www.roku.com/products/roku-4
Old 10-07-15, 01:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Hope Barbara Steele ends up ok, love her. Just watched a recent film of her's last night actually, The Butterfly Room, and loved it.
Old 10-07-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Scars is...not good, in many ways. Very un-special "special" effects being a main one. I still find it far better than Satanic Rites though.
Exactly. Most of those later Hammer Dracula films aren't all that good. Watchable... but sometimes *just* watchable and mainly for the actors involved. Still, I'm glad I have a pressed copy of this one (it's one of the few that have gone the MOD route) but would be thrilled if Warners would just cave and release their control of the Hammer titles to someone like Kino or Olive or just release new BR copies themselves.
Old 10-07-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Satanic Rites Of Dracula was my first Hammer horror film. I bought it because it was a dollar. I recall there were blood transfusions and a naked asian girl, that is about all I can remember.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.