Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-05-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by jacob_b
I'm not mentioning censorship here nor am I saying because we watch something, it affects us to be like that person or make us do certain acts. And I think the big difference between say, Jack the Ripper and Freddy, is that Freddy is false, cannot be real, and just an IDEA while Jack the Ripper actually did these evil things. I guess I like something like Texas Chainsaw Massacre as it isn't a real true story and just based around things while not giving the man who did these evil acts a worshipping stance. Because, let's be honest, a guy like Manson is actually worshipped and the focus is more on the actual killer than the victims (where the victims should be the ones to be remembered and thought about). But a lot of movies, they do worship the killer (the true real life killer) and make it about them.
Charlie Brooker did a bit on Newswipe about how 24 hours news coverage of killings was dangerous both factually (filling airtime with rumours, which can take on a life of their own) and in allowing the unbalanced to think that they can gain fame by similar means.

Personally, I certainly find it easier to reassure sensitive viewers that Jason and Freddy CANNOT turn up in reality, but actually-plausible killers are infinitely more worrisome even if longdead...
Old 10-05-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I probably won't get much sleep tonight, as my mom is in the hospital for observation tonight.
Old 10-05-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Charlie Brooker did a bit on Newswipe about how 24 hours news coverage of killings was dangerous both factually (filling airtime with rumours, which can take on a life of their own) and in allowing the unbalanced to think that they can gain fame by similar means.

Personally, I certainly find it easier to reassure sensitive viewers that Jason and Freddy CANNOT turn up in reality, but actually-plausible killers are infinitely more worrisome even if longdead...
Agreed, especially the rumor parts. I mean, just this past week, so many rumors about the killer and he was targeting just Christians (heard that is a myth now) and who actually killed him (police or suicide). And sadly, depending on where you turn to, not much about the victims and just a bit about the hero.
Old 10-05-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I probably won't get much sleep tonight, as my mom is in the hospital for observation tonight.
Hope whatever it is, she will make a very speedy recovery!!!
Old 10-05-15, 08:05 PM

Agreed, especially the rumor parts. I mean, just this past week, so many rumors about the killer and he was targeting just Christians (heard that is a myth now) and who actually killed him (police or suicide). And sadly, depending on where you turn to, not much about the victims and just a bit about the hero.
Yep. And it's tough-impossible to untangle whether it's ACTUAL or PERCEIVED or 'forced/led' interest fueling it alll... see also multi-page spreads on break-ups and disasters and disproportionately-covered negativity of all kinds.

(The one thing I will say, though, is that the coverage of killer vs. victims may have something to do with research and compassion - digging into the killer will ve being done officially; into the victims may be quashed by the families. So IF it is necessary to cover as a story, the avilable information may well be biased that way by necessity.)

And the rumours and negatives will often persist long after they're corrected, dispelled or countered...
Old 10-05-15, 08:07 PM

Anyone watching the Scream (MTV) TV show..? I've quite enjoyed the first couple of episodes..
Old 10-05-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I got the daily subset film in once I got home from work, so I got today's theme taken care of. I host a weekly viewing, Monday night in black and white. That means I needed to get the theme in before people started arriving. We're going to be watching The Innocents tonight. Most haven't seen it. I'm really looking forward to revisiting it myself!

Originally Posted by Chad
The only thing in my collection on the lists provided that I haven't watched are Wrong Turn 2 and 4. Are either worth a viewing? I haven't watched anything beyond the first, and honestly don't remember whether I liked it or not.

If not, I'm sure some Franco or Rollin titles would fit the bill.
I checked my previous lists to know for sure, but Wrong Turn 2 was my favorite of the series. It's not the most incredible movie ever made, but as was already said, it's good gory fun.

Sorry to hear that. I hope everything is all right.
Old 10-05-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry to hear that. Mine just got discharged from the hospital Friday so I understand having your head elsewhere for a while.
Old 10-05-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
Now it's time for Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead!
I'm a fan of this one
Old 10-05-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This happened local to me. One news station that night said they didn't want to glamorize the shooting/shooter, so they were only going to say his name one time, at the beginning of the broadcast. Obviously it won't stop anyone from seeing it elsewhere but it's the thought that counts.

I know it's easy to blame TV coverage of these things because they could inspire other people to do the same but it's not killings don't already happen all over the world, in places where people aren't glued to the TV, taking an occasional break to kill. I'm sure it can contribute to some people, just as other things, like religion/government affiliation/movies/boredom, can contribute to others acting out.

The one thing I never cared for, when people die in accidents/incidents, is that they're always pictured as saints that do no wrong. I'm sorry but that's 100% bullshit. While these people may not have shot up a place, they've been shitty to other people at times, just like the rest of us.

We had 4 underage kids decide to get drunk and high, while speeding around in a car. They crashed the car and only one person made it out alive. How did the community respond? The driver and passengers were popular at the local skate park and everyone would go on and on about how great they were and how they'd be missed. They even put up a statue for them at the skate park. So now we're hailing drunk drivers as great kids, even though they could have killed more people than they ended up doing.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 10-05-15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Beers from the last couple of nights:

Old 10-05-15, 08:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my 10th year attempting the challenge, but I've never really participated in the discussion. I thought I should change that this year. I've gotten off to a great start so far, but unfortunately had to go back to work today so my pace will definitely slow down. Some random thoughts after the first 25 movies:

I've enjoyed everything I've watched so far, which is not surprising because I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to horror.

Creep-I see people have differing opinions on this one. I enjoyed it, and thought Mark Duplass was convincing in his part.

The Innkeepers-I lost track of how many times I've seen this, but I love it more each time. It has great atmosphere, good characters, and Sara Paxton is just adorable.

Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood-This has one of my favorite scenes seen so far this month:
Spoiler:
Dennis Miller and Chris Sarandon killing vampire prostitutes with water guns full of holy water while Sweet's Ballroom Blitz plays.

Gravy-I'm probably a bit biased as I love Psych, and this is written and directed by James Roday, but I had a great time with this one. It starts off really over the top silly, almost like a cartoon, but once it got going, I thought it was hilarious. It has pretty great gore too, courtesy of Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger.

The Sentinel-I'm surprised I don't hear much talk about this one, as I thought it was great. The cast is pretty amazing, and Cristina Raines is beautiful. I was not expecting the scene where Beverly D'Angelo was
Spoiler:
masturbating
and the ending was crazy:
Spoiler:
Seeing all the "tenants" from the building along with the disfigured people was definitely unsettling.
Old 10-05-15, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheManInBlack
The Sentinel-I'm surprised I don't hear much talk about this one, as I thought it was great. The cast is pretty amazing, and Cristina Raines is beautiful. I was not expecting the scene where Beverly D'Angelo was
Spoiler:
masturbating
Spoiler:
Seeing all the "tenants" from the building along with the disfigured people was definitely unsettling.
I watched that a couple of nights ago. I loved the
Spoiler:
real human oddities touch

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-05-15 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Unless I am doing it wrong I still think it doesn't work
Spoiler:

And that is a pretty iconic horror image there.

And if you don't completely cut it out
I didn't say it was 100%. I got hits more often than misses though. And the image you used for testing (this is an educated guess), isn't from a movie poster, oh, and I got a bunch of loli anime images when I searched with the image (go figure), is

Spoiler:

Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers

Try searching with the hands holding the heart coming out of the crypt, underneath the googly eyes.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 10-05-15 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 09:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Pagany good thoughts going her and your way.
This is my 10th year attempting the challenge, but I've never really participated in the discussion. I thought I should change that this year.
Well a much delayed welcome to the forum to you Johnny!
Old 10-05-15, 09:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Thanks for the LGBTQ recommendations everyone. So far I've gone with Sick Girl from MOH and the X-Files episode Gender Bender.

Any specific 'T' horror films?
Originally Posted by Screwadu
Now it's time for Zombie Ass: Toilet of the Dead!
Is that streaming somewhere? No pun intended.
Old 10-05-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoiler:
masturbating
Spoiler:
It seems like this one is starting to get a bit more attention and people are finding out how great it is
Old 10-05-15, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
This happened local to me. One news station that night said they didn't want to glamorize the shooting/shooter, so they were only going to say his name one time, at the beginning of the broadcast. Obviously it won't stop anyone from seeing it elsewhere but it's the thought that counts.

I know it's easy to blame TV coverage of these things because they could inspire other people to do the same but it's not killings don't already happen all over the world, in places where people aren't glued to the TV, taking an occasional break to kill. I'm sure it can contribute to some people, just as other things, like religion/government affiliation/movies/boredom, can contribute to others acting out.

The one thing I never cared for, when people die in accidents/incidents, is that they're always pictured as saints that do no wrong. I'm sorry but that's 100% bullshit. While these people may not have shot up a place, they've been shitty to other people at times, just like the rest of us.

We had 4 underage kids decide to get drunk and high, while speeding around in a car. They crashed the car and only one person made it out alive. How did the community respond? The driver and passengers were popular at the local skate park and everyone would go on and on about how great they were and how they'd be missed. They even put up a statue for them at the skate park. So now we're hailing drunk drivers as great kids, even though they could have killed more people than they ended up doing.
I'm with you on that, especially celebrities. Everyone is worshiping Joan Rivers and American Foundation for Suicide Prevention showed a clip as she is a suicide loss survivor. Honestly, she was a mean and ill spirited woman who would just destroy people and their self esteem. For someone who lost a loved one to suicide, the damage she could have and might have caused with her words are shocking and disgusting and she should not be celebrated.
Old 10-05-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished Ubaldo Terzani Horror Show, not a fan.

About to watch Terror Train with wife (it will be a FTV, amazingly)
Old 10-05-15, 11:19 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i watched the editor for the first time and then watched it again right after with the commentary, i love this film! highly recommended, so much fun and so many nods to the greats.
Old 10-05-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh dear! I hope everything is okay.

Originally Posted by Trevor
So what's everyone watching for today's LGBTQ theme? The subset choice was ok, and I really enjoyed shadokitty's suggestion of Cursed. Somehow, I had never seen that Wes Craven film before.
Unfortunately, I was pretty busy today and only got in the subset film. I'm planning to watch Cthulhu for the challenge and check out some of the other suggestions. Love me some gay themes! In the spirit of today's theme, I did have a conversation with friends about how frustrating it can be as a filmgoer who wants more and better queer films. Currently, there are two big LGBTQ-centric films out that have either whitewashed history (reportedly to appeal to a straight audience) or sidelined their lesbian characters to focus on a straight guy.

Before contemplating the sad state of mainstream queer cinema, we watched Tucker and Dale vs. Evil which was an absolute blast. I can see it being a film I visit time and time again. It got me in the mood to watch Cabin in the Woods and Shaun of the Dead - may have to marathon those for zombie day!
Old 10-05-15, 11:23 PM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Just finished Ubaldo Terzani Horror Show, not a fan.

About to watch Terror Train with wife (it will be a FTV, amazingly)
Please make sure to post your wife's thoughts on the film. Her comments are one of the high points of every year's Challenge for me!
Old 10-06-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Finished watching American Nightmare (1983).

Cast is a bit dull. Luckily there is enough gore & nudity to go around.
Old 10-06-15, 12:19 AM

...I've enjoyed everything I've watched so far..

Tales from the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood-This has one of my favorite scenes seen so far this month:
Spoiler:
Dennis Miller and Chris Sarandon killing vampire prostitutes with water guns full of holy water while Sweet's Ballroom Blitz plays.
Sold!
Old 10-06-15, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

Quite. It makes a certain amount of sense to not add insult to injury and criticise the newly-deceased*, but.. there's a middle ground.**

Certainly glorifying idiots - and while there is presumably someone bearing greater blame, it is almost as idiotic to ride with a drunk as to drink&drive - sounds to be in pretty poor taste.

*Although some of the praise can be little more than outright lies. Someone I knew from school got killed, and was roundly praised and said to be popular - he was not. He was a bully and thoroughly disliked individual. And he was stabbed because he was dealing drugs.

**Or just tell the truth. c.f. Scream (TV) episode 2 which I saw today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.