Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Infuriatingly bad.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Creep was really disappointing in my opinion - most of the "creepiness" is in over the top social awkwardness making it feel more like a dark comedy, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but the character just seemed too off too soon that there wasn't enough 'build up.' I loved the ending (even if it defied logic) but it sure was mis-paced getting there. It was cool to see Creep have a unique plot structure and some more experimental story structure.
It was recommended to me by a friend with bad taste in Horror films

Most of the tension that I felt came from the fact that it was a found footage film (which usually make me nervous simply because of Cinematography or lack there of) and the fact that immediately you are thrown in a situation you know is wrong from the start. That instance I felt worked for the film early on but hindered it as the film progressed forward.

The surprise isn't necessarily a surprise, but one you are just sort of waiting around for. Even at around 78 minutes, I felt like a lot could have been trimmed off.
Old 10-06-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Comments -

The Bride of Frankenstein: "When's the Bride of Frankenstein going to come?" "YESS! Finally." "...when are they going to finish her?"

Summary -
"Oh. Very good guys. You just made a horrible movie. She was only in it for like two seconds - and Frankenstein, the monster, didn't even like her. So she wasn't even the Bride of Frankenstein. Good job."

Last edited by ntnon; 10-06-15 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm giving serious thought to not completing the checklist this year. But I know it's early, and I will likely be changing my tune as the challenge progresses. I have a lot of films in mind to watch this month but not too many of them match up with the people on the checklist. Just enough do, though, that I can see myself scrambling at the end of the month to get it complete. Ugh. Decisions, decisions.
Old 10-06-15, 07:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Since I have a open pre-order of Burnt Offerings I watched it last night courtesy of Amazon Prime streaming. It was a first time viewing and I was rather underwhelmed. I must state up front that I've never cared much for Karen Black but *do* like Oliver Reed and was looking forward to the performances by Burgess Meredith, Eileen Heckart, and Bette Davis. Wow... those last three were woefully underused! Still, the cast all turned in good performances in spite of a very cliche' script that feels borrowed from a half dozen other films and has somewhat vague and disjointed goings on. There were several unanswered questions that begged answering to make the film a bit more satisfying. Maybe part of my feeling is due to the way certain scenes/events were telegraphed, maybe it's due to the constant victim aspect of their son, maybe it's the amount of time Karen Black has on the screen, maybe if I'd seen it in 1976 I might have a different opinion as at that time I'd not seen many of the films from which this one seems to borrow ideas. This is a film that, generally, is right up my alley. One of understated, psychological type horrors, and unseen happenings in a slow burn horror house setting. The gauze-over-the-lens photography employed in every other scene annoyed me no end. Maybe I need a second viewing... but not this year.
I say skip the second viewing. I definitely won't be watching it again any time soon.
Old 10-06-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I watched Dead Snow: Red vs. Dead this morning and liked it a lot. Outpost II is on my to-watch list.

You've seen the first and just don't own it, right? Because the second one picks up right where the first one ends, so you should really have seen it before you watch the second.
Spoilsport! No, I've not seen the first. The purchase of the 2nd was a total blind buy based on the blurb on the back of the case. Sigh... in spite of what lrend might tell you I'm sort of trying *not* to purchase any more new horror titles (OK... maybe not... I currently have 10 titles ordered from various places). Guess I'll hold off as that was my first instinct...
Old 10-06-15, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Comments -

The Bride of Frankenstein: "When's the Bride of Frankenstein going to come?" "YESS! Finally." "...when are they going to finish her?"

Summary -
"Oh. Very good guys. You just made a horrible movie. She was only in it for like two seconds - and Frankenstein, the monster, didn't even like her. So she wasn't even the Bride of Frankenstein. Good job."
The Monster *did* like her - *she* rejected *him* causing him to somewhat go on a rampage and destroy the laboratory. It's really "Frankenstein, Pt. 2" but about halfway through the plot changes to one of Frankenstein creating a "bride" for The Monster. The two films are so closely tied together that when I was a kid I'd watch the first and wonder what happened to scenes which are in the second film. That said, I believe I'm one of a handful of people who admit to liking the first over the second.
Old 10-06-15, 08:03 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Spoilsport! No, I've not seen the first. The purchase of the 2nd was a total blind buy based on the blurb on the back of the case. Sigh... in spite of what lrend might tell you I'm sort of trying *not* to purchase any more new horror titles (OK... maybe not... I currently have 10 titles ordered from various places). Guess I'll hold off as that was my first instinct...
Well, if you REALLY want to see the first one, and you've got a KMart near you, I found this at my local KMart for $5:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...vies-tv&sr=1-6

Your mileage may vary, but 4 films on 4 discs for $5 was a bargain that I couldn't pass up (even though I already owned I Sell the Dead).
Old 10-06-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Well, they do recap the first film with a bunch of quick clips while a character tells what happened, but knowing who survived the first movie would be an unnecessary spoiler for that one, and it is at least worth a rental.

How much was the second one at Big Lots? I liked it enough to pick it up if I find it cheap.
Old 10-06-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Wow, how did Paperhouse (1988) squeak by me after so many horror flicks over the years? Amazing in every tiny detail. Highly recommended.
Old 10-06-15, 08:12 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

The Monster *did* like her - *she* rejected *him* causing him to somewhat go on a rampage and destroy the laboratory.
Oh, I know - and I think she did, too. She was just so put out by the late arrival of the ostensible star of the film (that she likes and has a ReAction figure of, etc.) to 'scream a few times, hiss and The End' that she switched pronouns.

When she "gets" the isolation themes and has more patience, I think she'll be a lot happier.

It's really "Frankenstein, Pt. 2" but about halfway through the plot changes to one of Frankenstein creating a "bride" for The Monster. The two films are so closely tied together that when I was a kid I'd watch the first and wonder what happened to scenes which are in the second film. That said, I believe I'm one of a handful of people who admit to liking the first over the second.
It is certainly curious that the second gets such a following - at least partly on the strength of the titular character - and despite the iconic look, she's like The Mummy: almost entirely absent!

Last edited by ntnon; 10-06-15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Wow, how did Paperhouse (1988) squeak by me after so many horror flicks over the years? Amazing in every tiny detail. Highly recommended.
I'm intrigued. Is it streaming anywhere? I couldn't find it with a preliminary search.
Old 10-06-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm intrigued. Is it streaming anywhere? I couldn't find it with a preliminary search.
split into 4 parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYImSM7Jsl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1bJdxPT-3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1rd1zXcFd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd39468SC9A
Old 10-06-15, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

That said, I believe I'm one of a handful of people who admit to liking the first over the second.

You're not alone on that.
Old 10-06-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I found my son's hamster dead tonight, so that put a huge damper on any plans that I'd made to watch stuff. It was only a hamster, but I'd really grown attached to it because it was so damn friendly. Extremely bummed out tonight.
Old 10-06-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

So... 30 Days Of Night 2: Electric Boogaloo is not set in the snow. But it did have several flashback scenes at the beginning so I am counting it for theme day.

Still in the middle, so maybe....
Old 10-06-15, 10:39 PM

I watched The Haunting of Whaley House tonight. I just wanted to watch another movie tonight and saw it on Netflix so I thought I'd give it a try. I shouldn't have wasted my time. It's your usual "people decide to break in to a haunted house and don't believe there are ghosts there" movie. Needless to say, not everyone is going to make it out alive. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen but it's pretty close.
Old 10-06-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I found my son's hamster dead tonight, so that put a huge damper on any plans that I'd made to watch stuff. It was only a hamster, but I'd really grown attached to it because it was so damn friendly. Extremely bummed out tonight.
Sorry to hear about that. Losing a pet is rough. I've found that if the pet isn't a dog or cat, it's hard to get people to understand how important they are. As a kid, I had a canary and a parakeet, and I was very distraught when they died.

Since it was in the 80s today in good, ol' Oklahoma, it was a bit maddening to see so many people in the snow. I watched The Thing from Another World as well as John Carpenter's The Thing. Between all the gooey aliens, I watched Pontypool, a Canadian zombie flick. All three used snow and the elements as ways to isolate their protagonists and heighten the already tense situations. All three were rewatches, and all three were just as entertaining as the first time.

The first time I watched The Thing, some friends and I tossed out our hypothetical timelines for the film.
Spoiler:
I remain convinced that Blair the botanist was assimilated before his quarantine. Of course, the film heavily implies that Clark is assimilated by alien-dog, but this turns out to be false. What better way to buy time than masquerade as the first man to get paranoid and sabotage all the equipment. I wasn't able to bring anyone else to my side. Two of my friends thought Norris was the first to go and took out Palmer after the dog transformation. Another friend thought no one was infected before the dogs got it.
Old 10-06-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Sorry to hear about that. Losing a pet is rough. I've found that if the pet isn't a dog or cat, it's hard to get people to understand how important they are. As a kid, I had a canary and a parakeet, and I was very distraught when they died.

Since it was in the 80s today in good, ol' Oklahoma, it was a bit maddening to see so many people in the snow. I watched The Thing from Another World as well as John Carpenter's The Thing. Between all the gooey aliens, I watched Pontypool, a Canadian zombie flick. All three used snow and the elements as ways to isolate their protagonists and heighten the already tense situations. All three were rewatches, and all three were just as entertaining as the first time.

The first time I watched The Thing, some friends and I tossed out our hypothetical timelines for the film.
Spoiler:
I remain convinced that Blair the botanist was assimilated before his quarantine. Of course, the film heavily implies that Clark is assimilated by alien-dog, but this turns out to be false. What better way to buy time than masquerade as the first man to get paranoid and sabotage all the equipment. I wasn't able to bring anyone else to my side. Two of my friends thought Norris was the first to go and took out Palmer after the dog transformation. Another friend thought no one was infected before the dogs got it.
There are several complete (almost feature length) dissections of the movie on youtube that are master thesis material for a correct timeline.

This one seems familiar although way shorter than I remember:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SppG-I_Dhxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that reminds me I have got to get these handbills framed at some point:

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-06-15 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

^ Those are amazing! Thanks for the heads up about the videos; I'll check them out! Of course, nothings going to be as coherent as four boozy friends vehemently holding to their theories while also saying things like "y'know, the old, tall guy" and "Mark... wasn't their a Mark?"
Old 10-07-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The Return of Count Yorga

I love the Count Yorga movies despite their hokey vampire make-up with the worst-looking fangs on record. I've been trying to track down The Deathmaster. Yorga star Robert Quarry made it during a break from Count Yorga and it's supposed to be very similar. This new Blu-ray has a really comprehensive commentary.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/10/06/the-...lu-ray-review/
Old 10-07-15, 01:18 AM

I was really behind on this thread and just caught up!

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Youtube seems to have several promising made for tv movies streaming:

The Stone Tapes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvJWKaDI9s
Ghostwatch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfy9UHAIwgQ
Cast a Deadly Spell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlAGnpH5Aw
They Nest - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPlj4pVINzU
I love Ghostwatch. It's probably my favorite made-for-TV horror movie. Also, the backstory involving the reception of this movie is incredible, and in my mind, not unlike Orson Welles' radioplay of The War of the Worlds.

Originally Posted by exharrison
Only took two days to get a day where I couldn't get a movie in. Oh well, it happens every year for me eventually.
Given yesterday's fail, I started today with one I've never seen but heard talked about, Waxwork. I like the premise and enjoyed the tone. I actually had a good bit of fun watching it. Will probably watch it in future years.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I love that movie. One of my favorites from the 80's. Too bad it never got a good BD release.

I could swear that I saw a widescreen HD version a couple years ago. I think it was on one of the premium channels (HBO, SHO, MAX, etc). But I've never been able to find it again.
I also love Waxwork and am surprised at how few people have even heard of it. Surprisingly, I had never even heard of it until my wife insisted we watch it for the challenge a few years back. Very glad she did! Also really would love to see a good BD release of this one, but with Lionsgate being the way they are, seems very unlikely.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just finished a Bela Lugosi movie I'd never seen before, Bowery at Midnight. I watched it on Popflix Classic Films on Roku. The movie itself was nothing to write home about, but anything with him in it is definitely worth watching in my opinion, as he was a great actor.
I also enjoyed this one. It was very different from what I was expecting, and I almost thought it could have been a noir.

Originally Posted by Chad
Well, I'm tossing that out of my to watch pile.
I actually thought Black Death would definitely be considered horror, and hope you will reconsider watching this one. I found this to have some incredibly chilling moments.Very curious to hear others' thoughts.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Odd Thomas has more horror elements than some of the subset choices we had to watch so far. Don't care what IMDB or anyone says, that's more horror than most horror films.
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I'm kinda surprised Misery isn't listed with any horror sub-genres. I know it's a thriller, but I really was thinking it would qualify. Not trying to campaign for it or anything, just found it odd. Been 20 years since I saw it last. I may be remembering it differently than it actually is.
I would definitely argue that both of these are horror and should count. I'd also argue that even something like The 'Burbs should count. Even if they might not 100% be straight horror films, there's enough horror elements to not necessarily warrant a wildcard.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The Return of Count Yorga

I love the Count Yorga movies despite their hokey vampire make-up with the worst-looking fangs on record. I've been trying to track down The Deathmaster. Yorga star Robert Quarry made it during a break from Count Yorga and it's supposed to be very similar. This new Blu-ray has a really comprehensive commentary.
I've never really understood the appeal of Count Yorga, Vampire (I have only seen the first). It all seemed very flat and never really lead anywhere. I read on IMDB that it was originally planned to be a soft-core porn film, the pacing and structure of the movie made more sense to me.

That being said, I wasn't really a fan of Deathmaster, and found it pretty boring with the occasional "so bad it's good" humor.
Old 10-07-15, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched Deadly Friend tonight. The Warner Bros dvd turns out to be uncut/uncensored since it's noticeably more explicit in a few sequences. So that's a nice surprise. The movie's actually pretty good, and I've always enjoyed it since I was a kid. It's been at least 15 years or more since I last saw it. So I'm glad it still was entertaining, and not nearly as bad as it's reputation suggests.
Old 10-07-15, 01:25 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I've resolved to finally watch my too long unopened copy of Whisperer In the Darkness tomorrow...
Originally Posted by cwileyy
...I actually thought Black Death would definitely be considered horror, and hope you will reconsider watching this one. I found this to have some incredibly chilling moments.Very curious to hear others' thoughts...
I feel like Black Death is solidly horror; it takes some time getting there but fits the bill and I was pleasantly surprised by the film. It's been a while since I saw it so may be due for a revisit.
Old 10-07-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm sorry to hear that. I know how it can feel to lose a pet.

I finally finished 100 Years of Horror with an episode on dinosaurs.
Old 10-07-15, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
What did everyone think of Creep (2014)?

Sacrificed some much needed sleep to give it a watch last night, to stay kind of on-track for my 31 films goal.
Interesting, but needed a much better actor playing the guy filming. He was just awful.

Originally Posted by lrend
I watched The Haunting of Whaley House tonight. I just wanted to watch another movie tonight and saw it on Netflix so I thought I'd give it a try. I shouldn't have wasted my time. It's your usual "people decide to break in to a haunted house and don't believe there are ghosts there" movie. Needless to say, not everyone is going to make it out alive. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen but it's pretty close.

I make sure to see the star ratings on Netflix before giving a horror film a chance. Way too much crap added on the streaming side.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.