Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by hiccup
I actually thought Jackie Earle Haley did a phenomenal job in the remake, but my expectations were low going in. The movie isn't as good as any of the originals, but I thought Haley's performance was pretty spot on and a good take on the character.
I agree.

Tonight, I ventured out to the Mall of America to see Eli Roth's Knock Knock, which I didn't know had come out. It must be getting a limited release, since this was the only theater playing it. So I made a spontaneous decision to head out and see it. I don't want to spoil it for you, but it was a good movie and really screws with your head. The audience reaction was great as well, and got some laughs and gasps.

I'd love to see The Green Inferno, but it appears to be out of theaters here, or not anywhere accessible to myself at the moment. So that's a shame.
Old 10-11-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

If you are looking for a Rifftrax to try out. Frankenstein Island is very on point.
Old 10-11-15, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

*Sigh* Got done with the truly horrid Howling 7: New Moon Rising. The only two good things about this viewing:
1)There's so much singing and dancing in it, that it qualifies as a *musical for the checklist.
2)It's good to finally see which movie Job Bob Briggs was talking about by giving it a "Half-Star" on Cinemassacre's Tribute to Monstervision.

*Proof that Joe Bob calls it a musical

.......And....Whatthehell....Here's the whole movie, if you dare:
Spoiler:
Old 10-11-15, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

The Final Girls was a very enjoyable send-up.
Old 10-11-15, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For my first viewing of the day today, I looked on Dish, and found Twitches on the Disney Channel. It was a decent family Halloween movie.
Old 10-11-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still trying to decided on which Craven film I'm watching today. Only a couple that I haven't seen and I'm debating over them. Think Invitation to Hell could be a fun choice. Think it was an MOW he did.
Old 10-11-15, 07:59 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For my first viewing of the day today, I looked on Dish, and found Twitches on the Disney Channel. It was a decent family Halloween movie.
The Watch Disney Channel app has some free movies. It's available on Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, Chromecast, iOS and Android.

Girl vs Monster
Twitches
Twitches Too
Halloweentown
Halloweentown II
Halloweentown High
Return to Halloweentown
The Scream Team
Now You See It
Under Wraps
Phantom of the Megaplex
Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire
Old 10-11-15, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Screwadu
I just found out there was actually a sequel to King of the Zombies!
Yep. It's fun too! I have this disc with both films.

Did you know King of the Zombies was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Music (Music Score of a Dramatic Picture)?
Old 10-11-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I didn't stick with any one particular theme yesterday, but I want the majority of my viewing today to come from the Craven theme. I'm starting with The Last House on the Left with the audio commentary and plan to move on to a first-time view of Deadly Blessing. I'm still debating what will come after that, maybe New Nightmare. It should be a good day.
Old 10-11-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The Watch Disney Channel app has some free movies. It's available on Roku, AppleTV, FireTV, Chromecast, iOS and Android.

Girl vs Monster
Twitches
Twitches Too
Halloweentown
Halloweentown II
Halloweentown High
Return to Halloweentown
The Scream Team
Now You See It
Under Wraps
Phantom of the Megaplex
Mom's Got a Date with a Vampire
Cool, I'll have to look them up. I have Halloweentown 1 and 2, but not the other movies.

Think I'm stopping on the Friday the 13th movies. For two reasons. One, I think I preferred living Jason, and two, I've always heard 7 and on, they went right downhill. Thinking of working on my Mill Creek sets. I have 50 Horror Classics, minus disc 1, and Pure Terror.
Old 10-11-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Darn wifi was out at work today, so I've been off the forum for almost 24 hours now. I was already multiple pages behind in this thread. I'll never catch up now!
Yeah, I have some catching up to do as well. A little overwhelming when you miss a day or more.

Originally Posted by Chad
... Maybe I should take this as a sign to get a full-blown region free player already?!
I have the Oppo BDP-103 (the quality has been well reviewed so won't go into that here). And I purchased a plug-in region-free upgrade. It works perfect. DVD is set as all regions automatically, but for Blu-ray Disc you have to key in a combo that's pretty quick and easy to change for the BD region. I've been using it for just over a year and no problems, even with firmware upgrades.

I bought mine on eBay.

I haven't been as active with watching or posting here as much as I'd like. I know it was mentioned a few times before about people with sick or dying pets. I have an Australian Shepherd that is going on 15 years old and she has really degraded a lot in this last year. Last two days she's had a lot of seizures which is just devastating to experience with her. But she's still happy and can walk and play and rarely has any accidents in the house. But I can tell things are just getting harder for her everyday. I hope she just passes peacefully in her sleep one night. Anyway, don't want to go off topic too much. All of my back and other medical issues take a backseat when it comes to my pets. But thankfully I have horror to help make it through!

Oh, and Chiller is on Amazon Prime, and it is not a good way to start off Wes Craven day.
Old 10-11-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I like to do for ambiance is turn out the lights, pull down the blinds, and plug in my plastic Jack o lanterns. Does anyone else like to do similar things?
Old 10-11-15, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I haven't been as active with watching or posting here as much as I'd like. I know it was mentioned a few times before about people with sick or dying pets. I have an Australian Shepherd that is going on 15 years old and she has really degraded a lot in this last year. Last two days she's had a lot of seizures which is just devastating to experience with her. But she's still happy and can walk and play and rarely has any accidents in the house. But I can tell things are just getting harder for her everyday. I hope she just passes peacefully in her sleep one night. Anyway, don't want to go off topic too much. All of my back and other medical issues take a backseat when it comes to my pets. But thankfully I have horror to help make it through!
Aw I got a couple of mice last October. A few months after, one started scratching a lot and we tried everything for months to try and stop the scratching and he'd almost scratched himself to death and was not in a good way and I had to take him to the vet late one night to get him put down because he was just in so much pain. About 6 weeks ago, my other mouse seemed to be acting strange one night. He looked very bloated and fat and was walking strangely. I woke up the next morning and found him dead in his cage. I hate losing pets

The rest of my pets are cats + a dog. Hopefully the oldest of them still have a few more years left in them because I can't really handle that.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

One thing I like to do for ambiance is turn out the lights, pull down the blinds, and plug in my plastic Jack o lanterns. Does anyone else like to do similar things?
No light for me. Just pure darkness. No windows in my basement either.
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I randomly watched They yesterday not realizing today would have better. Anyone else really hate it when that happens? I know we plan the themes and subset out ahead of time to help with this sort of OCD, but I'm just not good at remembering what is ahead on the schedule or actually doing any sort of planning.
Old 10-11-15, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I just finished The Last House on the Left with the audio commentary. For those of you who aren't in the mood to deal with that kind of story on its own, I would highly recommend the commentary. I have listened to a couple of other Craven audio commentaries, and I've never been disappointed. He's always very informative, funny, self-deprecating. They are good listens.

Now it's time for my first viewing of Deadly Blessing.
Old 10-11-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I randomly watched They yesterday not realizing today would have better. Anyone else really hate it when that happens? I know we plan the themes and subset out ahead of time to help with this sort of OCD, but I'm just not good at remembering what is ahead on the schedule or actually doing any sort of planning.
I have a similar problem. I accidentally watched Dr. Terrors House of Horrors not realizing it's an upcoming subset pick. It's killing me. I'm wondering if I should delete my previous viewing and rewatch it on the subset day. I'd lose a full watched number, but I really like to watch the subset films on the dedicated day.
Old 10-11-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Anyone else watching Vampire In Brooklyn for theme day?
Old 10-11-15, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The day's already over for me, but I did.

It was all first time viewings for me today; I got through Vampire in Brooklyn, The Initiation and Stranger in Our House. And also Never Sleep Again, which I thought was a very good documentary despite its 4 hour runtime. It definitely went faster than the majority of 90 minute films I've watched so far this month...
Old 10-11-15, 12:29 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I just finished The Last House on the Left with the audio commentary. For those of you who aren't in the mood to deal with that kind of story on its own, I would highly recommend the commentary. I have listened to a couple of other Craven audio commentaries, and I've never been disappointed. He's always very informative, funny, self-deprecating. They are good listens.
Watching with commentary is the only way to get any value out of that crap.
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I have a similar problem. I accidentally watched Dr. Terrors House of Horrors not realizing it's an upcoming subset pick. It's killing me. I'm wondering if I should delete my previous viewing and rewatch it on the subset day. I'd lose a full watched number, but I really like to watch the subset films on the dedicated day.
I did the same thing. Just make the subset day viewing one with commentary.
I plan to, it'll be a FTV.
Old 10-11-15, 12:59 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Yep, will be a first-time view for me.
Old 10-11-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

You forgot to summon a demon or spirit before watching the movie. That always goes well, it's fun for the entire family.
Old 10-11-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Speaking of They, that marked the third time that I have ran into Ethan Embry within a few days (The other two that I recently saw him in were Late Phases and Vacancy) Dude has to be in next year's checklist.
Old 10-11-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I just finished The Last House on the Left with the audio commentary. For those of you who aren't in the mood to deal with that kind of story on its own, I would highly recommend the commentary.
Watching with commentary is the only way to get any value out of that crap.
Thanks, guys! I purchased a copy of that one some time back but have put off viewing *because* of the subject matter as it sounds so completely unappealing. Considering it took me some time to come to grips with the violence level in Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange I've often questioned myself as to why I'd ever want to see such a film as it makes ACO sound rather tame. I made the purchase in of those "It's a 'classic' so I need to own a copy" moments (I have lots of films I don't particularly like in many genres solely for "completeness" of the collection). Roger Ebert's review *almost* makes me want to see it but with DVD Savant's review and final comment (Good - but only for fans of gore) coupled with yours I've decided it'll be going back.
Old 10-11-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

LOVED The Babadook!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.