Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDS with Looney Tunes as a bonus feature (i.e. Warner Night at the Movies)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-09-15, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CAn anyone point me to a list (if one exists) of dvds that have Looney Tunes as an extra or bonus feature. I know the Warner Night at the Movies disc usually have one or two Looney Tunes so a list of these would probably work. I know there must be one but I haven't found it yet.

Thank you,

Linda
Old 09-09-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: DVDS with Looney Tunes as a bonus feature (i.e. Warner Night at the Movies)

Most, if not all, of the films in the various Warner collections (Better Davis, Jimmy Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, and so forth) include Looney Tunes shorts. For example, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre contains two Warner cartoons, 8-Ball Bunny and Hot Cross Bunny.

Here are lists of Warner animated shorts from the 30s, 40s and 50s that list shorts and the DVDs that include them.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-09-15 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-09-15, 04:39 PM

TY...that helps!
Old 09-09-15, 06:10 PM

Ok...upon closer inspection I don't find a lot of titles I know have Looney Tune shorts on them. I don't need the Golden Collection or other Collections of Looney Tunes listed just movie dvds that have a short or two on them.

I have several hundred classic movies that I have ripped a few years ago to my computer and use Plex to watch them. At the time I didn't try to rip the cartoons off the ones that had them but would now like to. I'm trying to find exactly which discs to pull out of storage to rip. I've figured out several but I still have suspicion that i have more.

For example I have African Queen, The Big Sleep and Key Largo but I can't find anywhere online that tells what, if any, cartoon shorts on these. I thought there would be since several of my other Bogart films have them. If it was just these 3 I would pull them out but I have a huge collection and probably many more that could have toons on them.

Thanks again for any help in this direction.

Linda
Old 09-09-15, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gracee View Post

For example I have African Queen, The Big Sleep and Key Largo but I can't find anywhere online that tells what, if any, cartoon shorts on these.
Those discs don't have any cartoons on them. I own all 3. The Wikipedia lists I provided include movies as well as cartoon collections.

Generally, your best bet to locate cartoons in your collection is to check the Warner Brothers box sets, like the Bette Davis Collections 1-3, the Errol Flynn collections, Warner Gangster box sets, the 2 Busby Berkeley sets, the Musicals from the Dream Factory box sets, the Jimmy Cagney Signature Collection, the James Stewart Signature Collection, the second Humphrey Bogart Collection, the Doris Day collections, the Thin Man box set, and so forth.

You should also check this list.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-10-15 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I know the HD-DVD of the 1930s "Robin Hood" has one cartoon on it.
Old 09-10-15, 07:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
I know the HD-DVD of the 1930s "Robin Hood" has one cartoon on it.
Of course you do!
Old 09-10-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

What Gobear suggested. There doesn't appear to be any one comprehensive list. Be sure to check out any TCM Collections you have too. From what I can tell, you're probably not going to find any special feature/bonus cartoons with any movie made after 1969. If you want to do this, I'm afraid you'll have to do your own leg-work.
Old 09-10-15, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For example I have African Queen, The Big Sleep and Key Largo but I can't find anywhere online that tells what, if any, cartoon shorts on these.
If you're going to look up by movie title, you could go to dvdcompare.net. Here's their listing for (The) Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, Errol Flynn). The 2-disc DVD (as well as the Blu-ray and HD DVD) includes Rabbit Hood and Robin Hood Daffy.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4120

There's often a lot of text to search through in the bonus features and just searching by obvious words ("Looney" "cartoon", etc.) might not always yield results. Use [CTRL and +] in Firefox to make the text larger.

In addition to Sierra Madre, 8 Ball Bunny is also on the documentary March of the Penguins (or as Bugs would say, pen-goo-wins).

EDIT: A faux paus, mon ami. I missed Katnip Kollege on the Robin Hood title as rbrown498 listed below.

Last edited by digidoh; 09-10-15 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Missed Katnip Kollege cartoon
Old 09-10-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by digidoh View Post
If you're going to look up by movie title, you could go to dvdcompare.net. Here's their listing for (The) Adventures of Robin Hood (1938, Errol Flynn). The 2-disc DVD (as well as the Blu-ray and HD DVD) includes Rabbit Hood and Robin Hood Daffy.

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=4120

There's often a lot of text to search through in the bonus features and just searching by obvious words ("Looney" "cartoon", etc.) might not always yield results. Use [CTRL and +] in Firefox to make the text larger.

In addition to Sierra Madre, 8 Ball Bunny is also on the documentary March of the Penguins (or as Bugs would say, pen-goo-wins).
An alternative is to go to filmaf.com and type the name of the specific cartoon that you're looking for in the search box, and it'll bring up all of the DVDs and Blu-ray discs that the cartoon appears on. For instance, I typed in "Katnip Kollege," and filmaf told me that the cartoon is on the following discs:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) - 2-Disc DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray
Looney Tunes: Golden Collection, Vol. 2
Looney Tunes: Musical Masterpieces
Looney Tunes: Platinum Collection, Vol. 1 - DVD, Blu-ray, and Blu-ray Ultimate Collector's Edition
Looney Tunes: Spotlight Collection, Vol. 2
Warner Legends Collection (Adventures of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

You can also type in the title of a DVD that you own to see what short subjects might be on it. For example, I searched filmaf for Picture Snatcher to see what short subjects were on the disc. That disc contains:

"Plane Crazy"
"Wake Up the Gypsy in Me"

It's a useful site, even if you don't use it to keep track of your collection.
Old 09-10-15, 11:15 AM

Thank you for all the replies...I think the film aficionado site will help a lot. I was having trouble when looking for a title finding a site that listed the shorts on that title.

I don't mind typing in titles I suspect could have shorts. It's faster than putting the dvds into my player and checking
Old 09-10-15, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 152 Likes on 127 Posts

For example I have African Queen, The Big Sleep and Key Largo but I can't find anywhere online that tells what, if any, cartoon shorts on these. I thought there would be since several of my other Bogart films have them. If it was just these 3 I would pull them out but I have a huge collection and probably many more that could have toons on them.
Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
Those discs don't have any cartoons on them. I own all 3. The Wikipedia lists I provided include movies as well as cartoon collections.
Yeah, African Queen was released by Paramount during that era, and the other two didn't receive Night at the Movies treatments.
Old 09-18-15, 11:45 AM

I was surprised these three didn't have 'toons on them.
Old 09-18-15, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Key Largo and Big Sleep were very early DVD releases in snapcases. Long before the Warner Night at The Movies began being added. WB probably just used same discs in subsequent issues.
Old 09-18-15, 08:30 PM

most of the later marx brothers movies do!
Old 09-19-15, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorow View Post
most of the later marx brothers movies do!
Those were released by MGM and RKO. The MGM ones would have MGM toons.