Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-15, 06:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: 7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

I just broke out the Watership Down blu-ray now that it is dusk to get the challenge started with some dual-counting goodness. Somehow I can't recall having ever seen this film despite it being a classic and having come out a week before my birth so I was definitely the appropriate age to have seen it eventually.

My main goal, like it has been the past couple Criterion challenges, is to complete the checklist. I have mostly blu-rays from my Criterion backlog that fulfill all but two of the requirements, so that aspect of actually watching the stuff I buy will be nice too. We'll see how much I deviate from the pre-selected titles. Anyways, I am looking forward to another fun Criterion challenge.
Old 08-31-15, 06:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
My OCD won't let me start before midnight, as it's not actually September until then.

Yeah...I have issues.
It's already past midnight for half the planet, and many of the participants here. Join them!
Originally Posted by malazar
I just broke out the Watership Down blu-ray now that it is dusk to get the challenge started with some dual-counting goodness. Somehow I can't recall having ever seen this film despite it being a classic and having come out a week before my birth so I was definitely the appropriate age to have seen it eventually.
A first time viewing? Oh how I envy you.
Old 08-31-15, 09:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I just finished watching Watership Down for double credit. I thought it was a very good film with some realistic violence in it. I've got to do some research and try to figure out if the original film was really 101 minutes. The Criterion Blu-Ray is only 92 minutes and I've read conflicting reports on the original length.
Old 08-31-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

So I started off the challenge with New Tale of Zatoichi. First of the Zatoichi films to be in colour and works wonderfully. Plot wise is not much different from previous films and I get a sense that it won't change in the latter ones too. Love Shintaro Katsu portrayal of Zatoichi and is the main reason why I will be sticking with film series.
Old 09-01-15, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Just FYI, TCM is having a Godard night on the 16th. Titles include Breathless, Masculine Feminin, Alphaville and Pierrot Le Fou.

There's also a Criterion title showing every Sunday night this month on their TCM Imports feature. This Sunday night/ Monday morning is Kurosawa's The Idiot.

Criterion on TCM (Eastern time)

Friday 9/4 8:00 PM The Bank Dick (1940), Spine #78
Sunday 9/6 2:00 PM Heaven Can Wait (1943), Spine #291

Monday 9/7 2:45 AM The Idiot (1960) Eclipse #7, Postwar Kurosawa
Monday 9/7 9:45 AM Yoyo (1965) Pierre Etaix Box Set Spine #655
Monday 9/7 2:30 PM Bergman Island (2006) Spine #455
Monday 9/7 4:00 PM Smiles of a Summer Night (1955) Spine #237

Tuesday 9/8 1:45 AM The Tin Drum (1979) Spine #234

Wednesday 9/9 8:00 PM 3:10 to Yuma (1957) Spine #657

Friday 9/11 11:15 AM Cat People (1942) Laserdisc #233

Monday 9/14 4:15 AM Eyes Without a Face (1960) Spine #260

Wednesday 9/16 8:00 PM Breathless (2006) Spine #408
Wednesday 9/16 10:15 PM Pierrot Le Fou (1965) Spine #421

Thursday 9/17 12:15 AM Masculin Féminin (1966) Spine #308
Thursday 9/17 2:15 AM Alphaville (1965) Spine #25
Thursday 9/17 4:15 AM A Woman Is a Woman (1961) Spine #238

Friday 9/18 8:15 AM The Asphalt Jungle (1950) Laserdisc #26

Saturday 9/19 1:15 PM Jason and the Argonauts (1963) Laserdisc #160
Saturday 9/19 8:00 PM The Red Shoes (1948) Spine #44

Monday 9/21 2:45 AM Amarcord (1973) Spine #4

Tuesday 9/22 3:30 PM 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) Laserdisc #60

Friday 9/25 11:45 AM Diary of a Country Priest (1951) Spine #222
Friday 9/25 3:30 PM Pickpocket (1959) Spine #314
Friday 9/25 6:15 PM Au hasard, Balthazar (1966) Spine #297

Sunday 9/27 3:45 AM Hausu (1977) Spine #539

Monday 9/28 3:00 AM The Confession (1970), Spine #759

Wednesday 9/30 11:30 AM I Know Where I'm Going (1945) Spine #94
Wednesday 9/30 3:15 PM Tales of Hoffman (1951) Spine #317

Last edited by Gobear; 09-01-15 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-01-15, 07:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I just finished watching Watership Down for double credit. I thought it was a very good film with some realistic violence in it. I've got to do some research and try to figure out if the original film was really 101 minutes. The Criterion Blu-Ray is only 92 minutes and I've read conflicting reports on the original length.
Interesting. If the following link/imdb thread is correct, then it's always/only been 92 minutes:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078480/...nest/221891989

Watched it and the supplements last night. What a great film. Makes me want to re-read the novel yet again.
Old 09-01-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I can't move today, due to my back acting up again. Plan to watch a lot of TV today, at least some of which will be Criterion eligible content. I was too exhausted to watch anything more than half hour cartoons last night, so still haven't started.
Old 09-01-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for that schedule, Gobear. Idiot and Confession are the only ones I haven't seen yet.
Old 09-01-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
So I started off the challenge with New Tale of Zatoichi. First of the Zatoichi films to be in colour and works wonderfully. Plot wise is not much different from previous films and I get a sense that it won't change in the latter ones too. Love Shintaro Katsu portrayal of Zatoichi and is the main reason why I will be sticking with film series.
I've seen a number of Zatoichi films in past challenges. They're all good and I'd especially recommend FIGHT, ZATOICHI, FIGHT, which, despite the title, has less action than usual and focuses on Zatoichi's efforts to take care of a baby put in his charge and his attempts to find a woman (usually at a brothel) who can help him. It's quite funny in parts.
Old 09-01-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Just FYI, TCM is having a Godard night on the 16th. Titles include Breathless, Masculine Feminin, Alphaville and Pierrot Le Fou.
He's one of those directors I could never get into and can see his techniques (which endlessly annoy me) in his films and figure out it's him before looking it up to make sure. Ingmar Bergman is another, as well as Jesús Franco.

I'd say the latter would never get a Criterion release but this is the same company that thought Armageddon was good, so I await their release of either Jack the Ripper or Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.

I ended up not getting to watch anything for the challenge last night
Old 09-01-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
He's one of those directors I could never get into and can see his techniques (which endlessly annoy me) in his films and figure out it's him before looking it up to make sure. Ingmar Bergman is another, as well as Jesús Franco.

I'd say the latter would never get a Criterion release but this is the same company that thought Armageddon was good, so I await their release of either Jack the Ripper or Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.

The only Godard film I have any real love for is ALPHAVILLE, which I've seen a number of times and purports to be science fiction. It also used a popular character from French detective films, Lemmy Caution, and even cast the actor who played the part, American expatriate Eddie Constantine. It would be as if Robert Altman or Bob Rafelson had made a Matt Helm or Derek Flint film in their unique styles in 1971 but with the same actors (Dean Martin, James Coburn) from the original series.

But in film school, we had to see all the Godards and then debate them. I had difficulty with them back then, but I dutifully saw them all. Some of them have cute and charming moments, e.g. MASCULIN FEMININ (with the adorable Chantal Goya) and PIERROT LE FOU (check out the scene where Belmondo entertains a group of American sailors with his impression of an American tough guy: "Oh yeah! Goddamn! AHL-ee WOOD!") Plus, Anna Karina, his then-wife, is in some of his films and you can't go wrong with her.

I tend to like the idea of Godard more than his films themselves. I love his writings on film and his interviews, either in print or on TV.
Old 09-01-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually decided to start with Armageddon. Main thing I took away from it was Michael Bay loves explosions, and also hates Godzilla, if you catch that reference anyone.

Not a good movie by any means, but good for a mindless action popcorn and beer flick.
Old 09-01-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I have the same problem when watching Goddard's films. I need to devote some time to sitting down with his films and some reading material and really grappling with his style and themes.

I don't feel the same about Bergman; some of his films are among my favorites. When I first saw Persona, I found a filmmaker whose aesthetic and themes mirrored what happens in my head.
Old 09-01-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I don't feel the same about Bergman; some of his films are among my favorites. When I first saw Persona, I found a filmmaker whose aesthetic and themes mirrored what happens in my head.
The main thing that turns me off about him, as well as many indie films, is the pattern of slow burn just to have a big payoff at the end that involves something sexual and/or really violent. A lot of times, it feels like the ending is what's first come up with and then it's just a matter of figuring out something to lead up to it. It's not shocking to me, so the only impact it ends up having is "at the end, something finally happens". Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles and Happiness are two examples off the top of my head.

The other type of film I can't stand are things like Waking Life. When I watch that, I can't help but think someone took Sociology 101 at a community college and now they're an expert on people.

Back to Michael Bay, I liked The Rock and wonder if he just got dropped on his head or something because that film seems like a one-off for him.
Old 09-01-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna start off with Androcles and the Lion. I only saw bits of it when I was a kid, but I remember it being hilarious.
Old 09-01-15, 12:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My goal for this challenge (outside of completing the list) is to participate in the discussion more. I've got three little ones that keep me busy as well but I'm going to try to be more involved this year anyway. My middle child is 5 and she squeels whenever I tell her she gets to watch a new Criterion.

Goddard is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I feel like he is deliberatley antagonizing his audience. While I find that amusing...I don't always find it an enjoable viewing experience.
Old 09-01-15, 04:14 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I finished watching the supplements for Watership Down today. I have personally come to the same conclusion that Trevor quoted, that is, that the 92 minute version is the complete version. I was disappointed with the supplements that were supplied except for the interview with Guillermo del Toro and the essay by Gerard Jones. The interview was really too short but the essay was quite good. It's on to either Cronos or the Blob, I'm not sure which yet.
Old 09-01-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably finish the first audio commentary for Armageddon tomorrow. It seems I can only take very long movies in small doses. Two things I've learned so far was the Godzilla toy destruction scene in the beginning was a jab at how bad the 1998 Godzilla tanked, and the love story was tacked on due to the popularity of Titanic at the time.
Old 09-01-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
and the love story was tacked on due to the popularity of Titanic at the time.
The love story was the worst part. I can't even finish it because of that.
Old 09-01-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Criterion (mostly ex-CC) films currently free on Amazon Prime*:

..probably more. Someone needs to add a "CC" keyword at IMDb so this is an easier search..!

*or, at least, this is what my phone is telling me...
    Old 09-01-15, 09:23 PM
    DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Netflix also has the fairly recent CC "Two Days, One Night".
    Old 09-01-15, 11:22 PM
    DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix also has Caesar and Cleopatra.
    Old 09-02-15, 12:13 AM
    DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
    It seems I can only take very long movies in small doses.
    I'm with you on this. Long movies I can only take in small doses. I just can't sit through more than one or two without needing to take a long break in-between.

Originally Posted by ntnon
    Criterion (mostly ex-CC) films currently free on Amazon Prime*:
      Thanks for this list! I'm starting this challenge a little later this week as I need a break, but I see at least a couple films that are on my to see list and that will definitely help me do that.
      Old 09-02-15, 08:23 AM
      DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently, I wasn't as prepared as I normally am to start the challenge this year. I watched the new release Two Nights, One Day because Marion Cotillard is amazing. Yesterday I watched Modern Times at work because it plays well as a muted film. But when I got home last night, I realized I had no other unwatched Criterions in my collection. So I made it a Marty Night and listened to the laserdisc commentaries of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull. I'm off to the library after work to pick up a whole stash of CC flicks.
      Old 09-02-15, 11:12 AM
      Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started the challenge off last night with The Harder They Come. I dug it. About 10 minutes in I turned on the subtitles. It was pretty crazy, kinda like flipping a switch in my brain. With the words running below it was suddenly much easier to understand what they were saying.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.