Reload this Page >

7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Old 08-25-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: 7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

I'm just midway through the second season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, so there's still a lot for me to explore. When it comes to influences from among the Criterion catalog, the only one that jumps to mind is a season one episode about an alien race that participates in a morally dubious hunt. It has more than a few nods to The Most Dangerous Game.

I did just see an episode in which Odo is exposed to a foreign substance on an alien planet and the effects somewhat mirror what happens to the astronaut in First Man into Space, but that may not be an influence so much as a oft used sci-fi plot.
Old 08-25-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Allusions include AKIRA. See: here
Old 08-25-15, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm just midway through the second season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, so there's still a lot for me to explore. When it comes to influences from among the Criterion catalog, the only one that jumps to mind is a season one episode about an alien race that participates in a morally dubious hunt. It has more than a few nods to The Most Dangerous Game.
Good call - I was thinking that style of storyline was VOY only.
Old 08-25-15, 12:00 PM

The Third Man
The Fallen Idol (literally maybe, thematically certainly)
Old 08-25-15, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I'd take exception to this, having originated two challenges from scratch, establishing their parameters, coordinating prizes on occasion, and striven to make each year's incarnation something interesting for all participants...but the truth is that nothing I've ever done for either challenge mattered in the slightest.
Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I didn't word that well, I guess. I wasn't saying that you, Caligula, and others haven't put beautiful work into the Challenges you've run. You obviously have. But, in my opinion, most people ignore are the frills of the Challenges and are just here for the basic framework. I did a bit of work on one or two of them but came to realize that, for the most part, the details were more for my own benefit/OCD and weren't really necessary for anyone else. Sure, some of us will appreciate some of the frills, but the other 11 or so Challenge runners shouldn't feel like running Challenges needs to be work. The fun is in the watching and the discussion thread, the miscellany surrounding the Challenges are just gravy.

Again, just my opinion and I didn't mean to offend anyone.

And of course stuff you've done matters Travis. Please know that I am forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which—while I do appreciate it—I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
Old 08-25-15, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Rashomon (though the TNG episode is more obvious, but themes recur).
Can you name a specific DS9 episode? I feel like there is one, but all I can come up with are the flashback episodes in which different things are brought to light, such as "Necessary Evil".

Maybe the laserdisc BOND films, per Bashir's holodeck excursions.
Those are certainly as pertinent as The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, yeah. I'm wanting to curate a list on Criterion.com, though, and those can't be added.

Maybe Hidden Fortress (i.e. Star Wars) on some level..?
U
The closest I can figure might be either "The Ship" or "The Siege of AR-558", but those both feel like stretches at best.

[QUOTE=mrcellophane;12570257]I'm just midway through the second season of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, so there's still a lot for me to explore. When it comes to influences from among the Criterion catalog, the only one that jumps to mind is a season one episode about an alien race that participates in a morally dubious hunt. It has more than a few nods to The Most Dangerous Game.

"Captive Pursuit" is the episode. Good catch!

I did just see an episode in which Odo is exposed to a foreign substance on an alien planet and the effects somewhat mirror what happens to the astronaut in First Man into Space, but that may not be an influence so much as a oft used sci-fi plot.
"The Alternate". Yeah, I can see similarities based on the Wikipedia synopsis.

Allusions include AKIRA. See: here
Unless I missed something, that's a list of things in pop culture that reference Star Trek, whereas I'm trying to identify movies in The Criterion Collection that are at least thematically similar to specific episodes of DS9, if not direct inspirations.

The Third Man
The Fallen Idol (literally maybe, thematically certainly)
Could you elaborate?
Old 08-25-15, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just thought of another double credit film, the 1933 King Kong. I already watched it this means month, so while I'll probably watch it next month, it won't be during the overlap period.

Also, can I count bonus content on non Criterion Collection versions?
Old 08-26-15, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
And of course stuff you've done matters Travis. Please know that I am forever changed because of who you are and what you've meant to me, which—while I do appreciate it—I'd never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
Working a Criterion reference in to your post? Well done. Now I really want to watch that again. It's been a few years.
Old 08-26-15, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just thought of another double credit film, the 1933 King Kong. I already watched it this means month, so while I'll probably watch it next month, it won't be during the overlap period.

Also, can I count bonus content on non Criterion Collection versions?
It's inexplicable that I've never seen King Kong. It's now on my list for this challenge.

There are two perspectives here:

1. We are counting only those items that appear on the Criterion releases. Technically.

2. Supplemental materials are great for discussion. (Note: I posted those Documentary Now! links and think they would make for great companion pieces and discussion). Ultimately, we aren't jockeying for prizes, so I think that sharing some content that you find isn't a terrible idea.

For example, you could say:

6. The Seventh Seal:
Commentary with Peter Cowie
Restoration Featurette
Read Images by Ingmar Bergman and it added to...blah, blah, blah (Not on the Criterion release)
Old 08-27-15, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Jason and the Argonauts would also overlap. Stop Motion animation.

I just got the Criterion Collection edition of The Black Stallion in the mail today.
What! When did this come out? I may have to pick this one up for the challenge. I love the movie, even with (or maybe because of) the slow pace of it. I've always been a fan of the books and even the TV show.

More 'include animated* bits' titles for crossover purposes:

King Kong (CC Laserdisc)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (CC Laserdisc)
Jason and the Argonauts (CC Laserdisc)
Life of Brian
Godzilla

(Time Bandits and Baron Munchausen also probably have bits in them, but not enough to count by my way of thinking.)

I think it's (as mentioned) only AKIRA, WATERSHIP DOWN and FANTASTIC MR. FOX as full animated feature in the various parts of the CCs.

I would also give a slightly sarcastic mention to Crumb, Chasing Amy and two episodes of The Addams Family. Not animated, but featuring comics (and artists) or based on a comic strip.

Then there are shorts - I think - on the Hollis Frampton set, and maybe elsewhere...
I'll have to post these over in the animation thread. Man, this month is closing fast! Thanks for looking these up.
Old 08-27-15, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
What! When did this come out? I may have to pick this one up for the challenge. I love the movie, even with (or maybe because of) the slow pace of it. I've always been a fan of the books and even the TV show.

I'll have to post these over in the animation thread. Man, this month is closing fast! Thanks for looking these up.
I don't know when it came out. I was just on Amazon one day looking for Criterion releases, and saw it. I love the movie too.
Old 08-27-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't know when it came out. I was just on Amazon one day looking for Criterion releases, and saw it. I love the movie too.
I picked it up. I rarely do right away-waiting for the best sale, but this one I bought right away. It wasn't that bad either, about $23. I'm interested in those short films by the director as well that are included.
Old 08-27-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,013 Likes on 837 Posts

My kid asked if we could watch The Game!

...five days before the challenge started.
Old 08-27-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
I picked it up. I rarely do right away-waiting for the best sale, but this one I bought right away. It wasn't that bad either, about $23. I'm interested in those short films by the director as well that are included.
That's about what I paid for it too.
Old 08-29-15, 01:04 PM

List Thread is up.
Old 08-30-15, 04:15 PM

Can you name a specific DS9 episode?
Probably not!

I suspect I was actually thinking of the TNG episode where Riker's on trial for killing Professor someone.

There's an episode of DS9 which is mostly a Sisko monologue about Section 7 where he argues himself around from having done something awful to somwthing necessary. And that feels so like a deliberate reference to something famous that I think my mind jumped in too early and thought the wrong thing...

I feel like there is one, but all I can come up with are the flashback episodes in which different things are brought to light, such as "Necessary Evil".
Probably my mind then...

Those are certainly as pertinent as The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, yeah. I'm wanting to curate a list on Criterion.com, though, and those can't be added.
Oh. I see... that's more awkward then.

The closest I can figure might be either "The Ship" or "The Siege of AR-558", but those both feel like stretches at best.
Many of these are stretches...!

You're right though. There's a general sense of rebels against stronger forces (SW) through the whole show - particularly with the Defiance - but specifics are hazier.

Unless I missed something, that's a list of things in pop culture that reference Star Trek, whereas I'm trying to identify movies in The Criterion Collection that are at least thematically similar to specific episodes of DS9, if not direct inspirations.
I though it was references IN not TO - though both lists are around - but in any case the only one that stood out is Akira, which isn't CC anymore.

Could you elaborate?
There's at leaat one episode with Andrew Robinson where someone heads off to find a shadowy figure who may or may not be dead. Intrigue and layers of subterfuge that seemed very Third Man.

Fallen Idol reminds me of Nog finding the flaws in both his father and Quark, plus I'm sure there are parallels with Sisko and son, too.

Oh, what about Benjamin Button and Miles' daughter's rapid aging?
Old 08-31-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is anyone else planning to start this evening? I'm often on the fence when it comes to the dusk starting times, and I usually don't make it a point to find acceptable material. If left to my own devices this evening, I would probably bake a potato, roast some asparagus, and watch 2 Fast 2 Furious since I watched the first film last night. However, my Movie Night friends and I decided to move our weekly gathering to Mondays, so I'm going to go over after work for dinner and De Palma's Blow Out. Thankfully The Canon, Devin Faraci and Amy Nicholson's podcast, did an episode on the film; I'm not sure I would have sought it out otherwise.
Old 08-31-15, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm unlikely to start tonight, partly because I'm about halfway through the fourth season of Deep Space Nine, and partly because I'm knackered and don't think I have it in me to delve into anything cerebral or emotionally affecting today.

Nor, for that matter, do I even have a list of goals outside of wanting this to be the year I finally complete the checklist.
Old 08-31-15, 02:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

No real plan or goals for me this year. Just my usual ~1 film a week that I'll try to make a Criterion.

Still hope to open the Watership Down BD tonight though, for some double credit.
Old 08-31-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to start tonight with Red River because it's the last criterion I bought and it's still sitting next to the tv. After that, I have to venture into my theater room to look for stuff. I keep thinking I only have about a half dozen titles I've bought that I need to watch but then I remember I have the Zatoichi set, so I won't be hurting for things to watch all month.
Old 08-31-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm unlikely to start tonight, partly because I'm about halfway through the fourth season of Deep Space Nine, and partly because I'm knackered and don't think I have it in me to delve into anything cerebral or emotionally affecting today.

Nor, for that matter, do I even have a list of goals outside of wanting this to be the year I finally complete the checklist.
I'm almost finished with the second season. Today, I watched "Profit and Loss", the Casablanca-inspired episode that you mentioned earlier. It's a very enjoyable episode. Deep Space Nine is quickly becoming my favorite Trek series. Good luck on the list you're curating. I'll let you know if I notice any other Criterion influences.
Old 08-31-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I was thinking of Watership Down too but I think I'm going to start with New Tale of Zatoichi, the 3rd film of the Zatoichi film series. I haven't progressed much in the Animation Challenge so won't start on the last day.
Old 08-31-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm thinking of watching Jason and the Argonauts tonight. Haven't made any decisions past that.
Old 08-31-15, 03:13 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Is anyone else planning to start this evening?
My OCD won't let me start before midnight, as it's not actually September until then.

Yeah...I have issues.
Old 08-31-15, 04:57 PM

Is anyone else planning to start this evening?
I can't imagine getting started tonight, mainly because I'm halfway through Fargo, Season 1. I think we started the dusk/dawn times for overlaps between challenges, which I think is a great way to encourage new people into new challenges. It's primarily why I joined the horror challenge a few years back.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.