Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Old 09-19-15, 01:32 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I'll suggest Carnival of Souls for the Criterion Crossover. It's available on Internet Archive.
I could have sworn we've done Carnival of Souls, but I'll second it otherwise.
Old 09-19-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 11 Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Teen Wolf for the werewolf category.

Will that work?
Old 09-19-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I'll suggest Carnival of Souls for the Criterion Crossover. It's available on Internet Archive.
Also youtube. Since it public domain, it can be found cheaply if someone's looking for a disc.
Old 09-19-15, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Teen Wolf for the werewolf category.

Will that work?
I don't think either Teen Wolf could be argued into a horror classification.
Old 09-19-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^It's a werewolf movie (and the second one doesn't exist in my eyes ).

There has been plenty of comedies listed around here using horror monsters.
Old 09-19-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Teen Wolf is classified as "Comedy, Fantasy" on IMDB and "Comedy, Coming-of-Age, Fantasy Comedy, Parody/Spoof, Teen Movie" on AllMovie, so I don't think it would qualify.
Old 09-19-15, 02:29 PM

^It's a werewolf movie (and the second one doesn't exist in my eyes ).

There has been plenty of comedies listed around here using horror monsters.
Yes, but all of those have horror elements and are listed as horror on IMDb. Teen Wolf has neither of those qualifications.

I don't think anyone would complain if an individual personally watched and listed it, but it's not really close to a subset choice, imho.

But I'm pretty sure there is at least a couple other werewolf films out there from which to pick.
Old 09-19-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Teen Wolf is classified as "Comedy, Fantasy" on IMDB and "Comedy, Coming-of-Age, Fantasy Comedy, Parody/Spoof, Teen Movie" on AllMovie, so I don't think it would qualify.
So Silence of the Lambs wouldn't be horror because IMDB lists it as "Crime, Drama, Thriller" and AllMovie lists it as "Thriller, Psychological Thriller, Police Detective Film" correct?
Old 09-19-15, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b
So Silence of the Lambs wouldn't be horror because IMDB lists it as "Crime, Drama, Thriller" and AllMovie lists it as "Thriller, Psychological Thriller, Police Detective Film" correct?
Why do you ask things you know the answer to? Year after year we rule SotL as horror, it was even a subset choice. Why bring back old arguments? Move on.
Old 09-19-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I get teen Wold features a werewolf, but there is nothing Horror about it. Sotl features cannabilism, faces being ripped off, etc. Etc.. while Teen wolf has a guys dick in the bleechers.
Old 09-19-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Also, don't forget we still need votes on the Criterion Crossover.
I'll vote for Eyes Without a Face.
Old 09-19-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I like Teen Wolf and tried to watch it last year with my kids but found it to be not horror (ended up using a 'wild card'). The werewolf elements are more comedy and teenage metaphor than terror - it's not even great as horror classics homage/parody because it's so far removed from horror tropes.

Personally I find Silence of the Lambs to be not horror as well... too police procedural thriller but different strokes... and no need to rehash that debate.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-19-15 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Why do you ask things you know the answer to? Year after year we rule SotL as horror, it was even a subset choice. Why bring back old arguments? Move on.
Because there was a mention Teen Wolf isn't horror because of the same websites that listed SotL not horror. Teen Wolf should be labeled as a "comedy horror" just like the old school Dracula, Werewolf, Mummy, etc. To me, it's way more comedy than true scares. And I'm also curious about SotL because the same things that are listed on that movie is listed as Shutter Island and I'm hoping to watch it. I actually would love to have it as a subset theme night movie. And as someone mentioned, SotL seems very police driven focused on stories. Personally, I think the horror challenge should be more horror/thriller to include all the cop chasing movies that take down killers or all the stalking movies that have moments of suspense.
Old 09-19-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I threw Teen Wolf out there, I was just trying to think of another werewolf movie that I liked that wasn't struck from the challenge. Didn't mean to start a debate. I was thinking about those Abbott & Costello movies that have monsters but are comedies and not horror. Everyone seems to love them and throw them in.

But in any case, this is why I never volunteer for this stuff and just do a list. I didn't know I was volunteering for a subset before. I was just naming some of my favorite werewolf movies to help out but they got shot down.

I don't like getting into the minutiae of stuff like this so please remove me from the volunteer list. I didn't mean to volunteer anyway.
Old 09-19-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Nobody backs out from being a volunteer.
Old 09-19-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Nobody backs out from being a volunteer.
I didn't volunteer!!!!
Old 09-19-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I don't think either Teen Wolf could be argued into a horror classification.
I watched and listed both movies back in '07. I guess I need to be retroactively disqualified, or something.
Old 09-19-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I didn't volunteer!!!!
You should... most of your picks were great (Ginger Snaps!).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-19-15 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

When I threw Teen Wolf out there, I was just trying to think of another werewolf movie that I liked that wasn't struck from the challenge. Didn't mean to start a debate. I was thinking about those Abbott & Costello movies that have monsters but are comedies and not horror. Everyone seems to love them and throw them in.

But in any case, this is why I never volunteer for this stuff and just do a list. I didn't know I was volunteering for a subset before. I was just naming some of my favorite werewolf movies to help out but they got shot down.

I don't like getting into the minutiae of stuff like this so please remove me from the volunteer list. I didn't mean to volunteer anyway.
Sure, I can do that.

But just for the record, no one shot down any of your picks. They were excellent choices, but were already used in previous subset lists.

As for Teen Wolf, a few expressed their opinion that it wasn't considered horror.

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I watched and listed both movies back in '07. I guess I need to be retroactively disqualified, or something.
Oh, come on! In the 10 years I've been doing this I've NEVER excluded a title in someone's list because it was outside the genre. Not once. That's despite any conversations on it, whether it had wild cards attached, or whatever the reason. Hell, I'd count The Care Bears Movie if it was included in your list, and I probably have. I've always been lax on that.

I treat subset films a bit differently since they have an entire day dedicated to them along along with own respective threads attached. Just trying to do them justice by at least attempting to keep them within the realm of horror. I honestly don't think that's being too harsh.
Old 09-19-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eyes - Opera, Killer eye, They Live
Enter at your own risk - Dark house, Dark Ride
werewolves - hmm would Black Sheep count here?

i been crazy busy so just throwing these picks out *im sure some may been picked i have to go thru the list and see whats streaming too

is eye terror just horror that center around eyes like being hypnotized? or like memorable eye scenes like Zombi

Last edited by terrycloth; 09-19-15 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-19-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

For what it's worth, I don't have any issue if someone counted Teen Wolf, but I don't think it should be a subset choice. Not horror enough to be a film of the day. Just my two cents.

As for my subset picks ... ugh. I don't know.

Cursed - werewolves - I've never seen it and always heard it wasn't very good, but it is Wes Craven. Bonus that it's been showing on movie channels in HD and is also streaming on Netflix and Amazon.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space - Free Admission - I love this movie. It's a lot of fun. The Blu-ray can be had for cheap, and I noticed it streaming on Amazon.

House of Wax (1953) - Free Admission - Not available on streaming anywhere but I wouldn't mind revisiting it.

TerrorVision - Eyes Have It - It's streaming on Amazon.

The Live - Eyes Have It - Also not streaming anywhere but it's a bad ass movie that hasn't been used before.

Frightmare (1983) / Curtains (1983) - Double Features - I'll just throw this one out because I have both on Blu-ray, but they probably aren't streaming anywhere.

That's all I can come up with this at this moment. Let me know if I need to throw out any additional titles.
Old 09-19-15, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll also vote for Carnival of Souls for the Criterion Crossover
Old 09-19-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
House of Wax (1953) - Free Admission - Not available on streaming anywhere but I wouldn't mind revisiting it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1x...vie_shortfilms

Maybe next year there can be some sort of Family Friendly Friday subset night. Then we can have our things like Teen Wolf films for things that were never meant to be horror in the first place. Not by the director, script writer, studio, or anyone else that had any part in making it. That's kind of a big difference between a horror film, one made with the intention of horror and one that isn't made to be scary.

Will Vinton made movies that has some spooky looking stuff in it but that's just from how it was made. If a little kid is scared of some of the things in his films, that doesn't automatically turn it into a horror film.

How about Ghost Dad. Not meant to be scary but I'm sure something about it could possibly scare a kid that's afraid about ghosts
Spoiler:
or just to get it out of the way, people that don't like to be doped up and raped
but that doesn't mean it's a horror film that should be someone's pick for a Haunted/Ghost subset night. At the same time, there's no reason someone shouldn't watch Teen Wolf on werewolf night. I just agree that something like that doesn't need to be a subset pick for werewolves.
Old 09-19-15, 09:50 PM

Streaming is encouraged, but not an absolute requirement. I picked the original Wicker Man and it's not streaming anywhere (to my knowledge), unless you count a $2.99 YouTube rental.
I found it on on Stagevu which is one of the sites listed for online viewing
Old 09-19-15, 09:55 PM

I nominate My Mom's a Werewolf for the Werewolf category.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.