Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm concerned my last DVD purchase was re-wrapped... (Thor: The Dark World)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the title says, I'm a bit concerned that the copy of Thor: The Dark World I recently purchased on eBay has been re-wrapped. The main reason I think so is because there is no security seal on the top.

Of course it's been awhile since I purchased a brand new DVD, so for all I know they don't put security seals on them anymore (my Google searches have turned up plenty of info confirming that is a possibility).

Basically I'm just curious if anyone knows if the Thor: The Dark World DVD is supposed to come with a security seal?

I tried to attach a couple pics of the actual DVD still in the shrink wrap, but apparently I need 30 posts before I can post images/links.

Any help/insight is appreciated!
Old 06-29-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I'm concerned my last DVD purchase was re-wrapped... (Thor: The Dark World)

Is it scratched? If it isn't, move along.
Old 06-29-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Most of the major labels stopped using the security seals a few years ago. I don't really like that as it makes it harder to tell when something's been re-sealed, as well as also quickly browsing titles in a rack.
Old 06-29-15, 05:14 PM

I haven't opened it, so I don't know if it is in new condition yet, but even if it is in perfect condition I would still like to know if there was supposed to be a security seal. That way I can mention that it was missing the security seal in the feedback that I leave for the seller, as they had it listed as:
Brand New: An item that has never been opened or removed from the manufacturer’s sealing (if applicable). Item is in original shrink wrap (if applicable). See the seller's listing for full details.

The seller has 100% feedback, so I think there is a good chance that it's brand new, but if it isn't I would like to know. That way I can make sure to never order from them again.

Anyways, if no one here can tell me for sure, I will just stop by Hastings later today or tomorrow to check.
Old 06-29-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

From what I've seen, it all depends on the retail source of the DVD and/or Blu-ray--most brick-and-mortar stores still request the security seals when available because of the perception that it helps to deter theft (at least a little bit). Most online retailers don't really have any need for them, as their stock is warehoused and not available for handling by the public. What I'm trying to say is that I've seen the same title both with and without the security seal.

You may want to send a PM to MooMooMooMoo and ask him, as he has an online DVD/CD store.

Off-topic: Post #1,000! Woot!
Old 06-29-15, 06:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Wannabe
Is it scratched? If it isn't, move along.
Even if it is scratched I'd move along as long as it plays.
Old 06-29-15, 08:19 PM

Some of us are obsessive though- I don't knowingly buy a used disc unless it's something long out of print. On the rare occasion that I do buy a used disc, it gets shelved separate from the ones I got brand-new.
Old 06-29-15, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Some of us are obsessive though- I don't knowingly buy a used disc unless it's something long out of print. On the rare occasion that I do buy a used disc, it gets shelved separate from the ones I got brand-new.
I knew you were special Alan, but this might take the cake! Shelfing used separately?!?!

I can say that because I'm special (in other ways) too.
Old 06-30-15, 09:27 AM

unless the disc is blue/purple on the recording side (i.e. a burned bootleg), then I wouldn't sweat it, as long as it plays properly.
Old 06-30-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

On the rare occasion that I do buy a used disc, it gets shelved separate from the ones I got brand-new.

Sorry, man, but...

Old 06-30-15, 07:35 PM

^ Laugh all you want, but that's how I've been storing ALL my media formats for almost 40 years now! I like to know just where my media has been, when it's been played, who's seen it, etc. I think it started when my parents bought me a USED Sesame Street record at some weird book sale thing, and the cover listed all kinds of stickers and cool stuff that was included- but they were MISSING! Traditionally I've kept EVERYTHING that comes with my media when bought brand-new- when DVDs have those seal things I peel them off and stick them on the back of the cover sheet, and any stickers on the shrinkwrap (which I just found out are known to record collectors as "hype stickers") are cut out and saved.

Good thing I didn't mention the ways I count my DVDs and such as played, not played, in progress, finished, and not finished- you'd probably literally die laughing! (And I don't hold my used items to those same standards either.)
Old 06-30-15, 10:45 PM

Well I finally had time to stop by Hastings, and the new Thor: TDW DVD's didn't have the security seals on them (just like mine), so it looks like my concerns were unnecessary. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Oh and I finally opened it up, and it looks perfect Of course I'm happy I was worried about it, as it motivated me to join this forum, and I think I will fit in nicely here
Old 07-01-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Studios and distributors have gotten cheaper now that retail sales are much less of a concern. Many of them have eliminated security seals and even lowered the quality of the shrinkwrap from new releases.
Old 07-01-15, 02:28 AM

Well since that's out of the way I have to ask why you bought this on standard DVD when it's available on Blu-Ray in 3D?
Old 07-01-15, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by ooSuperman23
Well I finally had time to stop by Hastings, and the new Thor: TDW DVD's didn't have the security seals on them (just like mine), so it looks like my concerns were unnecessary. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Oh and I finally opened it up, and it looks perfect Of course I'm happy I was worried about it, as it motivated me to join this forum, and I think I will fit in nicely here
Cool, another weirdo. Welcome!

One of us! One of us!
Old 07-01-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Welcome aboard. Now you just need to do the challenges.
Old 07-02-15, 05:05 PM

Well since that's out of the way I have to ask why you bought this on standard DVD when it's available on Blu-Ray in 3D?
I've never even seen a movie in 3D, mainly because my younger brother is blind in one of his eyes, so he can't watch 3D movies (and most of the movies I see in theaters are with him). I've been wanting to see one in theaters just to see if it's worth it, but I never considered buying 3D BluRays until just now (as I just found out that they're supposed to work on my XBOX One). Of course I admittedly don't know much about them, don't I need a 3D TV and special glasses as well?

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Welcome aboard. Now you just need to do the challenges.
I will definitely look into the challenges soon, especially the Sci-Fi/Fantasy one
Old 07-03-15, 03:45 PM

Of course I admittedly don't know much about them, don't I need a 3D TV and special glasses as well?
Yes, but in the meantime you can still watch them in 2D if you don't have the right equipment. When HD-DVD and Blu-Ray first came out, even though I wasn't equipped for them yet I didn't buy anything on DVD if it was already available on those formats.
Old 07-03-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I still don't get your aversion to buying used discs. Most places let you examine the discs and packaging before you buy, so you don't have to take one that's scratched or missing something.

I have a copy of Thor: The Dark World on 3D Blu-Ray that I bought at a pawnshop for $3.95 + tax. It looks like it costs $27.84 + shipping + tax new at Amazon (yes, I have to pay tax at Amazon) and WalMart. That twenty-odd bucks difference more than covered the cost of three or four more 3D Blus I bought at similar shops.
Old 07-03-15, 06:00 PM

But... but... they've been USED!

(I got that title new for $19.99 from Amazon. And yes, I fully acknowledge that I am obsessive.)
Old 07-03-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

But... but... they've been USED!

(I got that title new for $19.99 from Amazon. And yes, I fully acknowledge that I am obsessive.)
I'm glad I'm just cheap, and not obsessive.

Most of what I see looks like it was watched once, if that. But I'm a thrift store junkie from way back, so slightly-used doesn't bother me.
Old 07-03-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X

Most of what I see looks like it was watched once, if that. But I'm a thrift store junkie from way back, so slightly-used doesn't bother me.
I'm the same way. Cheap, but not obsessive.
Old 07-04-15, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm very much with Alan Smithee! At least when it comes to Used vs. New. It can be killer on the budget for some oop stuff, but it's New, so that makes it all worth it.

I don't worry about security seals though, as it's so easy to open the dvd case from the bottom and side, slide the disc out, and replace it the same way. It's all about the shrinkwrap, of which any can be faked, including those with the folded corners, but at least we can get out the magnifying glass and look for traces of where someone might have used glue or something like that to reseal a slice that they made into it.

Meanwhile, welcome to ooSuperman23.
Old 07-04-15, 02:39 PM

One of these days I'll post a video of myself opening a sealed disc- it'll all make sense then. Or not.
Old 07-05-15, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X

I'm obsessively cheap and a thrift store junkie, but I prefer to purchase new cars and used DVDs and CDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.