Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Official 8th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The Official 8th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Just finished The Ambushers (1967), the third of Dean Martin's Matt Helm movies. As with all the Helm movies, it mostly gets by with Martin's charm, though there are some good gags and there's always Janice Rule and Senta Berger to enjoy, but man, that magic gravity gun always gets under my skin.
Old 07-08-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I just finished MST3K: Alien from L.A. Wow, that one deserved to be on the show. Hated Kathy Ireland's voice. Of course, I hated that the guys spoofed the voice for the whole show too...but overall a pretty good episode. Not as many laughs as Magic Sword, but watchable. Going to finish off the set tonight with "Danger!! Death Ray."
Old 07-09-15, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that are interested, tomorrow night is "Rifftrax Live: Sharknado 2." It also repeats on July 16.

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/ri...the-second-one
Old 07-09-15, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't know why, but lately, I haven't been in the mood for DVD's. I have a good series of them, but been more interested in checking Roku for things to watch. Watching an episode of Ancient Aliens: Special Edition right now on H2 On Demand, about Alien Transports.
Old 07-09-15, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

My youngest granddaughter spent the night last night and loves to watch TV/movies with me. Typically that means *she* selects the film and I, sometimes unwillingly, go along for the ride. Last night brought a pair of first time viewings for me: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999) and Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004). She loved them. Me... not so much. They were watchable but I'm just not a fan of the modern Disney stuff, especially the "classic" characters. At least they count!

I followed them with more My Favorite Martian episodes which was a improvement. I need to get another TV series in the queue as I'm just about done with that one.
Old 07-09-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My youngest granddaughter spent the night last night and loves to watch TV/movies with me. Typically that means *she* selects the film and I, sometimes unwillingly, go along for the ride. Last night brought a pair of first time viewings for me: Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas (1999) and Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas (2004). She loved them. Me... not so much. They were watchable but I'm just not a fan of the modern Disney stuff, especially the "classic" characters. At least they count!

I followed them with more My Favorite Martian episodes which was a improvement. I need to get another TV series in the queue as I'm just about done with that one.
I've got quite a few Disney movies, but plan to save them for next month.

December to work on more MASK. Just finished 'The Oz Effect', on Disc 2 of Volume 1.
Old 07-09-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

TCM is running a slate of '50s sci-fi classics starting tonight at 8PM with EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956), featuring effects by Harryhausen, and following with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953), THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951), THE MAN FROM PLANET X (1951), INVISIBLE INVADERS (1959) and the last, at 3:45 AM EST), one from the '60s, THEY CAME FROM BEYOND SPACE (1967).
Old 07-09-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished lunch, so thought I'd work on the challenge before my afternoon nap. Decided on an episode of MASK, and watched 'Death From the Sky'. I'm enjoying my trip down memory lane, revisiting this cartoon from my childhood.
Old 07-09-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
TCM is running a slate of '50s sci-fi classics starting tonight at 8PM with EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956), featuring effects by Harryhausen, and following with IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953), THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951), THE MAN FROM PLANET X (1951), INVISIBLE INVADERS (1959) and the last, at 3:45 AM EST), one from the '60s, THEY CAME FROM BEYOND SPACE (1967).
I have some of these, but just may have to tape the ones I haven't watched. I have to admit that his films have grown on me the last few years!
Old 07-09-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After waking up from my nap, I placed a couple orders on Amazon Instant Video. First was Galacticon 3. I also ordered Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. I have all but one of Harryhausen's Sinbad movies, as well as Jason and the Argonauts.

I also finished Volume 1 of MASK, by watching 'The Magma Mole'. The team visited Japan in that episode.
Old 07-09-15, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I have some of these, but just may have to tape the ones I haven't watched. I have to admit that his films have grown on me the last few years!
I mentioned Harryhausen, but he only did the first one tonight, EARTH VS. FLYING SAUCERS.
But I should add that Harryhausen's longtime buddy, Ray Bradbury, provided the story basis for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.

Also, INVISIBLE INVADERS is something of a precursor to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, with its legion of ordinary people turned into undead zombie-like creatures.
Old 07-09-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I mentioned Harryhausen, but he only did the first one tonight, EARTH VS. FLYING SAUCERS.
But I should add that Harryhausen's longtime buddy, Ray Bradbury, provided the story basis for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.

Also, INVISIBLE INVADERS is something of a precursor to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, with its legion of ordinary people turned into undead zombie-like creatures.
Thanks!
Old 07-09-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

That's a pretty good line up! I have all of them on disc so don't have to fret that I no longer have TCM.

For a couple of years I've been waffling about picking up the colorized version of Earth vs. the Flying Saucers for no other reason than I picked up the colorized versions of 20 Million Miles to Earth and It Came from Beneath the Sea at Big Lots some time back for $3 each in spite of already owning remastered BW versions of both. It's the completist in me coming out - I've watched the colorized versions of those 2 exactly *once* each out of curiosity. They were "OK" but nothing spectacular. I still prefer the BW versions. That completist "needs" the colorized Earth vs. the Flying Saucers to be content in spite of the purist having no need/desire for that version.
Old 07-09-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished War of the Planets from the Mill Creek 50 movie Sci Fi Classics set. Can't really call it a classic though. Cheesy and campy, but at least there were robots in it. Kind of made me want to look for The Black Hole.
Old 07-10-15, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got an early start to the challenge today. Woke up, and couldn't get back to sleep. I looked on the Dish guide, and saw Dracula 3000 had just started on Showtime.
Old 07-10-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Just watched episodes 4 and 5 with the kids. They know the basic stories from video games, but after the first said "They just did everything in the first movie. What are they going to do in the NEXT FIVE?" They've actually seen 4-6 before, but I'm hoping to subject them to have them watch 1-3 as well, just for the sake of pop culture and being an American in the 21st century. And the new movie, of course.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Thanks for fixing the spelling here.
Old 07-10-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One thing I neglected to mention about Dracula 3000, was picture Alien with a vampire instead of a xenomorph. The plot seemed like it was lifted right from it.

Right now, I'm stuck. Want to watch something, but nothing jumps out at me. I guess that's the problem with too many choices when you have satellite, Roku, and DVD's.
Old 07-10-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
One thing I neglected to mention about Dracula 3000, was picture Alien with a vampire instead of a xenomorph. The plot seemed like it was lifted right from it.

Right now, I'm stuck. Want to watch something, but nothing jumps out at me. I guess that's the problem with too many choices when you have satellite, Roku, and DVD's.
Ugh, I hate when this happens. I tend to either watch nothing or something random on TV.

Last night I was looking for something to watch that I haven't yet but would also knock an actor or two off my check list. Saw one actor was in the Agents of Shield show, but I hadn't gotten to that episode yet. So, I watched a couple of those. Think I'm going to try to finish up the season before moving onto something else, though I did just get a movie in from the library. Maybe I'll alternate!
Old 07-10-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh, I hate when this happens. I tend to either watch nothing or something random on TV.

Last night I was looking for something to watch that I haven't yet but would also knock an actor or two off my check list. Saw one actor was in the Agents of Shield show, but I hadn't gotten to that episode yet. So, I watched a couple of those. Think I'm going to try to finish up the season before moving onto something else, though I did just get a movie in from the library. Maybe I'll alternate!
Last night, I was looking at superhero shows on imdb, and saw quite a few qualified. Even Arrow. But saw the Daredevil series didn't have either sci-fi or fantasy label. Don't know if I'll finish it, but finally decided on a documentary about the ancient astronauts called The Ancient Alien Question. It stars Philip Coppens from Ancient Aliens.

For series on DVD. I usually watch a disc here and there. Finish a disc, while at the same time switching to Roku or TV along the way. Then when I finish a disc, will take a break and work on either a movie, or another series.
Old 07-10-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Death Race, as I own the DVD, and hadn't watched it in years. I noticed two very interesting things in the credits. First, in the opening credits, Roger Corman was an executive producer. Second, in the closing credits, David Carradine was the opening voice of Frankenstein. It makes me believe, this is a remake that is very much in the spirit of the original, and now I want to see the original.
Old 07-10-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a question. Imdb doesn't list it as sci-fi, but the GI Joe movies are listed as sci-fi. Would that mean the cartoon from the 80s would count?
Old 07-10-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last night, I was looking at superhero shows on imdb, and saw quite a few qualified. Even Arrow. But saw the Daredevil series didn't have either sci-fi or fantasy label. Don't know if I'll finish it, but finally decided on a documentary about the ancient astronauts called The Ancient Alien Question. It stars Philip Coppens from Ancient Aliens.

For series on DVD. I usually watch a disc here and there. Finish a disc, while at the same time switching to Roku or TV along the way. Then when I finish a disc, will take a break and work on either a movie, or another series.
I'd say you could watch Daredevil the series under my previous ruling of all Marvel/superhero movies/shows not marked as Sci-fi/Fantasy. You can count it as a wildcard. Since it's a series, I'll say that one season=1 wildcard.

I tend to watch a full season of something then move on. It's part of why I have so much unwatched TV, though. I wish I could let myself move from show to show but I much prefer finishing off a whole season at a time. Otherwise, it tends to feel unfinished and nags at me until I do.

I have a question. Imdb doesn't list it as sci-fi, but the GI Joe movies are listed as sci-fi. Would that mean the cartoon from the 80s would count?
I have to say, if you think it would count as sci-fi, use your best judgment. I watched a few of these as a kid, but I don't remember any sci-fi elements really, but reading up on it on IMDb.com I found a few mentions with Cobra Commander being a mutant and something about an incantation. I was much more a He-Man/Rainbow Brite/Smurf kind of cartoon watcher.

So, if you think it'd count, use it as a wildcard. If you start watching and it really doesn't fit, save it for next month where animation is animation and it'd certainly count.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-10-15, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd say you could watch Daredevil the series under my previous ruling of all Marvel/superhero movies/shows not marked as Sci-fi/Fantasy. You can count it as a wildcard. Since it's a series, I'll say that one season=1 wildcard.

I tend to watch a full season of something then move on. It's part of why I have so much unwatched TV, though. I wish I could let myself move from show to show but I much prefer finishing off a whole season at a time. Otherwise, it tends to feel unfinished and nags at me until I do.

I have to say, if you think it would count as sci-fi, use your best judgment. I watched a few of these as a kid, but I don't remember any sci-fi elements really, but reading up on it on IMDb.com I found a few mentions with Cobra Commander being a mutant and something about an incantation. I was much more a He-Man/Rainbow Brite/Smurf kind of cartoon watcher.

So, if you think it'd count, use it as a wildcard. If you start watching and it really doesn't fit, save it for next month where animation is animation and it'd certainly count.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. It does help. I haven't decided if I'll watch it yet, but now I know what to go by.
Old 07-11-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I had forgotten this when it was previously discussed, but all the Marvel TV shows and films produced by Marvel are supposed to occur in a shared universe. So if say Avengers, Thor, and/or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are "Sci-Fi" according to IMDb, it seems reasonable to be able to infer that any of the others (say Captain America or Daredevil) is Sci-Fi as well.

Last edited by Dimension X; 07-11-15 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-11-15, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. It does help. I haven't decided if I'll watch it yet, but now I know what to go by.
Sounds good!

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I had forgotten this when it was previously discussed, but all the Marvel TV shows and films produced by Marvel are supposed to occur in a shared universe. So if say Avengers, Thor, and/or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. are "Sci-Fi" according to IMDb, it seems reasonable to be able to infer that any of the others (say Captain America or Daredevil) is Sci-Fi as well.
Hmm, maybe this should be something that because a permanent rule because you're right, they're all the same universe and interconnected. Though, Captain America does have the sci-fi rating. As does CA 2. Daredevil the movie has a fantasy tag, so that's eligible; it's just the TV show that doesn't. Actually, I just looked up most of the first wave of Marvel movies and didn't find any that didn't have a qualifying tag...I remember there was one earlier that didn't have the tag but was part of a comic book series? I can look it up later, just too tired to tonight.

I'd be ok with adding to the rules for next year if I am running it again something to the effect of "Any superhero movie or TV show that is part of a wider Sci-Fi or Fantasy universe would also qualify even without the tag at IMDb.com or allmovie.com. Ex: Daredevil the TV show qualifies."

Any yeas or nays? I wouldn't change it for this year as the challenge is well under way, but I would amend the rules for next year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.