No More Simpsons on DVD

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No More Simpsons on DVD

Old 04-22-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Originally Posted by Chad
There's currently a Facebook group doing just that, but at 140+ members it's not exactly setting the world on fire.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643530482546429/

Spoiler:
1. Write to:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Av Of The Sts 2500 Ste 2500
Los Angeles, CA, 90067 United States

2. Sign and share these petitions from Facebook, to twitter, to Tumblr:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/…/kee...sons-d…/
http://www.ipetitions.com/pe…/contin...s-dvd-releases

3. This is optional; E-mail to Olive Films about sub-licensing rights to Seasons 18-onward if Fox themselves aren't willing to do it. I know Shout! is a better candidate but they "would if they could".
And this is how we'll do it every month. So get ready! Our first campaign begins next Friday, April 24th!!!
What's with Shout Factory's "would if we could" response? I wonder if they've actually been approached and looked into doing so or are they just ruling it out right away. I would guess the licensing fees for the series are through the roof. I'll look into sending a letter but I won't hold my breath that it'll make much difference.
Old 04-22-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I don't believe Fox would license out the Simpsons, so that is a non-starter. Either Fox recants their decision in a few months (vaguely possible) or our favorite Yellow family will be confined to streaming going forward.
Old 04-22-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

If you (ie. Alan Smithee) truly believe in your own abilities, then have you thought about starting your own home video bluray company? Or have you already started your own home video bluray company already?
I might just do that if I can make enough money to do it- I've thought about either that or running a movie theater that I can afford to lose money on.

And not meaning this as a knock against The Simpsons but- when the hell is the show going to END?
Old 04-22-15, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

The show will remain on the air as long as the main voice actors are breathing. It's a huge cash cow for Fox and they now have the syndication deal in place they have always wanted.
Old 04-23-15, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already own seasons 1-9, which for me is probably enough, but used Fox's decision as motivation to write my congressman and senators, asking for a law that legalizes region-free DVD and Blu-Ray players, like Australia and New Zealand did a decade ago. While Fox may stop selling The Simpsons on home media in North America, it is inconceivable that it will disappear globally. There would still be the PAL issue, but that's a much lower bar to clear. This would punch a permanent hole in the DMCA, which is also highly appealing.
Old 04-23-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
I already own seasons 1-9, which for me is probably enough, but used Fox's decision as motivation to write my congressman and senators, asking for a law that legalizes region-free DVD and Blu-Ray players, like Australia and New Zealand did a decade ago. While Fox may stop selling The Simpsons on home media in North America, it is inconceivable that it will disappear globally. There would still be the PAL issue, but that's a much lower bar to clear. This would punch a permanent hole in the DMCA, which is also highly appealing.
Good luck in your battle against the movie studios!
Old 04-23-15, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Good luck in your battle against the movie studios!
I'd be happy for some company!
Old 04-23-15, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
I already own seasons 1-9, which for me is probably enough, but used Fox's decision as motivation to write my congressman and senators, asking for a law that legalizes region-free DVD and Blu-Ray players, like Australia and New Zealand did a decade ago.
As has been said, good luck with that. The studios want to keep those barriers in place, and most people outside us hobbyists could care less about being able to buy/play foreign discs.

While Fox may stop selling The Simpsons on home media in North America, it is inconceivable that it will disappear globally.
No it isn't. It's far more likely that Fox will either enable global access to Simpsons World, or will come up with localized versions for other territories (or put the episodes on foreign iTunes regions).
Old 04-23-15, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
most people outside us hobbyists could care less about being able to buy/play foreign discs.
But it isn't a foreign disk if a US company imports it and sells it on amazon.com. Yes, they would still need a warning, but it would be much less dire than "incompatible with standard North American players".

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
It's far more likely that Fox will either enable global access to Simpsons World, or will come up with localized versions for other territories (or put the episodes on foreign iTunes regions).
Do you realize how many countries produce Simpsons DVD's? I still have a hard time believing it will disappear completely. It is debatable whether DVD's with English language tracks will continue.
Old 04-23-15, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by joltman
I think it's safe to say sales aren't the issue (or at least not entirely), and they just want to push people to FXX and the website, meaning if they aren't releasing it themselves, they aren't farming them out either.
Since FXX is only in the U.S. I'm thinking that's one hope of still getting discs. Canada still lags behind other countries due to bandwidth and ISP issues. Then there's Australia, all of Europe, Japan etc. Hopefully Fox Japan (for example) will still release the sets and we can just import them.

Additionally since Fox puts out Bob's Burgers, the last two seasons of Cleveland Show and even Louie on Amazon's DVDr program I thinking (hoping?) this release is a little hyperbolic and we'll still have a DVD option for upcoming seasons.

Too optimistic?
Old 04-23-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

The show will remain on the air as long as the main voice actors are breathing. It's a huge cash cow for Fox and they now have the syndication deal in place they have always wanted.
Possibly, but at this rate it could also end because of something money-related. Just hope it gets a proper send-off no matter how it happens.
Old 04-23-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt they could ever do this and keep it under wraps, but it would be great if there was a way they could make a series finale now with most of the main cast intact that way if they do need to end it at some point due to the unexpected death of a main cast member they can do so in a satisfying way.
Old 04-24-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Possibly, but at this rate it could also end because of something money-related. Just hope it gets a proper send-off no matter how it happens.
I don't see it ending in syndication anytime soon.

I see it ending on FOX soon since they switched to renewing it yearly instead of multiple years, the drop in viewer numbers, and how they've been moving away from Sunday night animation.
Old 04-24-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point I hope that Fox just leaves it on the air until the series is ready to end. I wouldn't mind if it ended at season thirty just for a nice round number. I don't necessarily want it to end though as its always been a staple show for me, but I do realize that it has been on for a long time.
Old 04-24-15, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
At this point I hope that Fox just leaves it on the air until the series is ready to end. I wouldn't mind if it ended at season thirty just for a nice round number. I don't necessarily want it to end though as its always been a staple show for me, but I do realize that it has been on for a long time.
I think this show comes to an end at Season 30 as ratings have been down quite a bit and the fact FOX is paying a lot of money to the folks behind the scenes and them only wanting more money for their services as each passing season goes by, FOX just has to decide when it's time to finally close this series out and call it a day.
Old 04-25-15, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I own the first seven seasons on DVD. I quit watching new episodes on a regular basis during the original broadcast of season eight. I am happy with my seven seasons on DVD. I don't have cable.

That being said, I very much understand why people who bought all the seasons that have been released so far, and were planning to buy every season of the entire series, are disappointed at the news that future seasons will not be released. There was an understanding, assumption, implication, or whatever, that as they long they kept buying the newly released seasons, further seasons would continue to get released. And since they have already bought far more seasons of this show than what exists for a typical show, these fans put a lot more emotional and financial investment into hoping that every season would eventually get released. I understand why they are saddened by this news.

However, I also hope that they will not allow the completist in them to be so upset that it prevents them from enjoying the seasons that they do own. I remember there's a Family Ties fan in this forum who sold his seasons of the show because some of the other seasons had not been released. His reasoning was that if he couldn't have every season, he didn't want to have any. While I can certainly understand such an attitude, I would never do that. I wish they had released the remaining seasons of The Muppet Show and One Day At A Time, but I'm certainly not going to let their non-release prevent me from enjoying the seasons that I do own. And same goes for the Looney Tunes releases too.

Here's something along those lines. It's a fan rant rather than official confirmation, though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-p...e-to-low-sales

I strongly agree with this part of the article. This is plenty or room for both streaming and DVDs. By not releasing those seasons on DVD, Fox is basically begging people to bootleg those episodes. Someone in their marketing department is an idiot:

Executives at Fox see the “Simpsons World” app as being a goldmine, but the only way it can become one is if Simpsons fans use it. So they are discontinuing the DVD’s not because of poor sales, but because they are hoping it forces the fanbases hands in using the service. They will not, I can almost certainly assure you. Simpsons fans, on the average, tend to be older. They prefer watching the show on their TV’s, not on smartphone and tablet screens. They are also tech savvy enough to know how to pirate the show if they so choose to.

By selfishly deciding that the online streaming app can’t peacefully co-exist with the physical media formats, Fox has forced fans hands…they have forced fans to pirate the show. Those fans who were buying the DVD’s will download pirated episodes that have not been released and will make their own DVD’s. Not everyone is going to want to use this app. “I” don’t want to use this app. I will not use this app. I will personally pirate the unreleased episodes. I invested hundreds of dollars into these DVD’s, and I’m not going to give Fox the satisfaction of making money off me every time I watch an episode. So to summarize, “The Simpsons” DVD releases getting canceled is not the result of a shifting market, but a marketing decision to force people to use a platform that the studio hopes will make more money than the other platform. And to keep ownership out of the fans hands, of course.

Last edited by grundle; 04-25-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the series isn't completed I still fully intend to keep what I have. There still is a lot of enjoyment for me in the collection I do have and a lot of nostalgia too. Hell The Simpsons seasons were some of the first DVDs I bought. When my collection was first starting the first couple seasons were my big boxed sets and definitely the first tv show on DVD I owned. It does upset me that there's potentially no more being released but selling them after this many years of collecting would be silly.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-25-15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grundle
However, I also hope that they will not allow the completist in them to be so upset that it prevents them from enjoying the seasons that they do own. I remember there's a Family Ties fan in this forum who sold his seasons of the show because some of the other seasons had not been released. His reasoning was that if he couldn't have every season, he didn't want to have any. While I can certainly understand such an attitude, I would never do that. I wish they had released the remaining seasons of The Muppet Show and One Day At A Time, but I'm certainly not going to let their non-release prevent me from enjoying the seasons that I do own. And same goes for the Looney Tunes releases too.
Most people will get over it.

I remember back when DVDs started to not come with an insert that showed chapter listings or artwork and some people here were "no insert, no sale".

Or when WB started doing the archive discs on DVDR and that ruffled feathers.
Old 04-27-15, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Most people will get over it.
I won't get over it unless I can get the sets in comparable quality (box art, commentaries, extras) EXACTLY like the previous sets via Amazon MOD or an import release.

Even if this happens this may kill my TV on DVD purchases for ALL labels unless its a complete series set.

Why bother when I can just record it from TV in DVD for SD or .mts for HD using my own equipment?
Old 04-28-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wz42
I won't get over it unless I can get the sets in comparable quality (box art, commentaries, extras) EXACTLY like the previous sets via Amazon MOD or an import release.

Even if this happens this may kill my TV on DVD purchases for ALL labels unless its a complete series set.

Why bother when I can just record it from TV in DVD for SD or .mts for HD using my own equipment?
Priorities for people change as time passes.

There's no reason you shouldn't go ahead with that strategy, plus you get to make your own packaging however you want. You won't get the Simpson cases we've been getting if it goes MOD. That extra cost defeats the purpose of MOD.

I used to record shows all the time that I knew would probably never make it to DVD. I'd make a backup on disc and keep the file on my computer and stream it when I want to watch it.
Old 04-28-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah if we get MOD releases or something similar I don't expect them to be like the releases we've gotten thus far. Even if someone like Olive Films or Shout Factory would pick up the series I don't expect to get as much as Fox gave us with the releases they put out. The seasons of King of the Hill put out by Olive Films have just been the episodes on disc with no extras to speak of. Truthfully as much as I'd rather get sets packed with extras I would accept bare bones releases for The Simpsons.
Old 04-28-15, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The landscape for entertainment media is changing so quickly that it's difficult to expect a release pattern of consistent quality for a show that has run so many seasons.
Old 04-28-15, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The landscape for entertainment media is changing so quickly that it's difficult to expect a release pattern of consistent quality for a show that has run so many seasons.
They did it for fourteen years though and the only thing that really changed over the course of that time was packaging and some of the seasons being available on both DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 04-28-15, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mike86
They did it for fourteen years though and the only thing that really changed over the course of that time was packaging and some of the seasons being available on both DVD and Blu-ray.
...which is awesome. But still not close to finishing the run.
Old 04-28-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

...which is awesome. But still not close to finishing the run.
Actually it really is. They're over half done as Fox released eighteen seasons and we're on twenty-six right now. So a pretty good bulk of the series is out.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.