Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

No More Simpsons on DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Part of my thing about physical media has always been that I can watch it without needing cable or the internet. All I need is some sort of power supply, whether it be battery-powered or electricity. I never have to worry about lag times or the internet going down, etc. I'm in control of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and I could, in theory, watch something at any point in time for the rest of my life. Not so with this streaming or cloud nonsense where things could up and change on a whim.
Old 04-14-15, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Physical media isn't going to die unless TVs start becoming something people stop buying and internet providers stop capping their internet and that's not going to happen. Also take into consideration internet service in other countries, such as Australia.
Old 04-15-15, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I still think the best option would be doing a limited run of future seasons and making them available online. Either have Fox Connect directly sell the sets or make a deal with an online retailer like Amazon or someplace to give them exclusive rights. That way fans who still want the sets can get them but Fox doesn't have to mass produce and end up with overstock and have to sell them at a loss. It seems pretty much like a win-win scenario to me.
I like this idea but I don't see it working. The cost in producing these sets is not in replication, but in prepping the material for disc, so I'm not sure they would think it was worth spending that money for a limited return
Old 04-15-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by bossman284
I like this idea but I don't see it working. The cost in producing these sets is not in replication, but in prepping the material for disc, so I'm not sure they would think it was worth spending that money for a limited return
Al Jean said that they're still going to do commentaries and find a way to get them on The Simpsons World app. Even if the discs were barebones though while not ideal I'd rather take than nothing at all.
Old 04-15-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

Well I have been collecting The Simpsons on dvd since season one. But I have fallen behind (I still haven't bought 15,16, or 17), I will buy those on bluray, and hope there might be enough of backlash that FOX might change their minds. Or another studio might pick up releasing other seasons even if it goes back to just dvd only.
Old 04-16-15, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Unfortunately it's not a surprise. Even a collector like myself (nearly 1300 DVDs and Blus) has been taken in by the allure of streaming.

I'm still keeping my physical copies for certain things (MST3K for starters), but Star Trek? Somebody's always going to have that on streaming. Adventure Time? Either on Netflix or Itunes.

Even this morning, my wife woke up to tell me she dreamed that I had bought a complete TV series DVD set (with soundtrack CDs included) and she was so mad she ran off to the jungle with Russel Brand. If she had her way, all TV shows and movies would be on streaming and all books would be on Kindle.

Does seem odd that a flagship series like this wouldn't get an exception, but maybe someone like Shout! could pick it up.
Old 04-16-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Unfortunately it's not a surprise. Even a collector like myself (nearly 1300 DVDs and Blus) has been taken in by the allure of streaming.

I'm still keeping my physical copies for certain things (MST3K for starters), but Star Trek? Somebody's always going to have that on streaming. Adventure Time? Either on Netflix or Itunes.

Even this morning, my wife woke up to tell me she dreamed that I had bought a complete TV series DVD set (with soundtrack CDs included) and she was so mad she ran off to the jungle with Russel Brand. If she had her way, all TV shows and movies would be on streaming and all books would be on Kindle.

Does seem odd that a flagship series like this wouldn't get an exception, but maybe someone like Shout! could pick it up.
Don't discount Olive Films either as they are about to finish off King of the Hill on DVD by the year's end. So that's another option that might happen.
Old 04-16-15, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rmw650
Don't discount Olive Films either as they are about to finish off King of the Hill on DVD by the year's end. So that's another option that might happen.
I doubt that the licensing rights to King of the Hill were as much as the rights for The Simpsons would be though. I am glad that Olive Films stepped up and finished the job that Fox abandoned with King of the Hill though.
Old 04-16-15, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Part of my thing about physical media has always been that I can watch it without needing cable or the internet. All I need is some sort of power supply, whether it be battery-powered or electricity. I never have to worry about lag times or the internet going down, etc. I'm in control of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and I could, in theory, watch something at any point in time for the rest of my life. Not so with this streaming or cloud nonsense where things could up and change on a whim.
Exactly!
Old 04-21-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
Old 04-21-15, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by PatD
Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
Or, indeed Gene Roddenberry (according to the Solow/Justman book).

Honestly, I don't think a letter-writing campaign would help that much in this case. Here, we have a studio who are trying to sell subscriptions to their self-owned "Simpsons World" website. What better way to drive people to this product than to make it the exclusive outlet for all remaining episodes (as well as the ones already released)?

I feel if they weren't trying to make money with that website, the DVD releases would have probably continued in some form.
Old 04-21-15, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

While I'm too lazy to look it up again right now, I read that the DVD decision IS because of Simpsons World. Just all the more reason not to use that- let it blow up in their faces.
Old 04-21-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Here's something along those lines. It's a fan rant rather than official confirmation, though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-p...e-to-low-sales
Old 04-21-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
If it would actually work I'd be totally willing to do this. It always seems like petitions fall on deaf ears though.
Old 04-21-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Duoc9juM15w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, Fox has gone full-scale in their abandonment of physical media. And if this wasn't a title that'd sell, nothing will. And I have a feeling that they're not going to be the last.
Old 04-21-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

If it would actually work I'd be totally willing to do this. It always seems like petitions fall on deaf ears though.
Yeah, it's pretty much known that most people will sign a petition demanding something and never follow through.
Old 04-21-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Food for thought, but Fox was one of the last studios, along with Paramount, to embrace the DVD format.

As such, it shouldn't be surprising that they - along with Paramount (who recently licensed out to Warners) - are the first studios to start dropping their support for discs.
Old 04-21-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When there was the backlash about the change in packaging from Seasons 1-5 (box) to Season 6 (plastic head) not only did FOX offer a mail-in program to get a box package for Season 6, but from then on out they released plastic head packages and standard box packages and later continued this for the molded head packages too.

So we're talking about a company that actually listened to its fanbase and offered a solution. I find the decision to halt production on these releases all the more confusing given their past actions.
Old 04-21-15, 09:49 PM

Ironically they were the FIRST major studio to license movies for VHS and Beta in 1977. But I do remember they supported DIVX over regular DVD, and then their first DVDs were ridiculously overpriced as their laserdiscs had been before.

When they put out good product at a reasonable price, I buy. If they don't want my money, I'll find someone else to give it to.
Old 04-21-15, 09:51 PM

So we're talking about a company that actually listened to its fanbase and offered a solution. I find the decision to halt production on these releases all the more confusing given their past actions.
As has been mentioned before, most of the people who ran the home video departments back then are no longer working. It seems to get that job now you're required not to care much about it. Funny that I could probably do a better job, generate more sales and accept lower pay than those people. Heck, they could almost get away just paying me with free product!
Old 04-21-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I doubt that the licensing rights to King of the Hill were as much as the rights for The Simpsons would be though. I am glad that Olive Films stepped up and finished the job that Fox abandoned with King of the Hill though.
Mike, you just never know as crazier things have happened with regards to this industry so hoping Olive Films or even SHOUT steps up and continues onward with this show (Simpsons, that is) starting at Season 18 and 19.
Old 04-22-15, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I think it's safe to say sales aren't the issue (or at least not entirely), and they just want to push people to FXX and the website, meaning if they aren't releasing it themselves, they aren't farming them out either.
Old 04-22-15, 07:30 AM

And this is why we steal from corporations like this.
Old 04-22-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
As has been mentioned before, most of the people who ran the home video departments back then are no longer working. It seems to get that job now you're required not to care much about it. Funny that I could probably do a better job, generate more sales and accept lower pay than those people. Heck, they could almost get away just paying me with free product!
If you (ie. Alan Smithee) truly believe in your own abilities, then have you thought about starting your own home video bluray company? Or have you already started your own home video bluray company already?
Old 04-22-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

There's currently a Facebook group doing just that, but at 140+ members it's not exactly setting the world on fire.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643530482546429/

Spoiler:
1. Write to:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Av Of The Sts 2500 Ste 2500
Los Angeles, CA, 90067 United States

2. Sign and share these petitions from Facebook, to twitter, to Tumblr:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/…/kee...g-simpsons-d…/
http://www.ipetitions.com/pe…/contin...s-dvd-releases

3. This is optional; E-mail to Olive Films about sub-licensing rights to Seasons 18-onward if Fox themselves aren't willing to do it. I know Shout! is a better candidate but they "would if they could".
And this is how we'll do it every month. So get ready! Our first campaign begins next Friday, April 24th!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.