Reload this Page >

Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Old 04-15-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

I'm watching The Black Knight Returns right now. There is no record on Rotten Tomatoes at all, but IMDB gives it one star. Would it count, or do I need to use a wild card?
Old 04-15-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Yeah, I'll fix that. 3.0 and below are OK for IMDB safe.
Old 04-15-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The BR does show that title on the actual film even though the case says Dark Angel.
I never got where Dark Angel came from. I remember the commercials for this when it was out at theaters and it was always I Come In Peace. I've read the wiki article on it but Dark Angel is not what I remember it ever going by.
Old 04-15-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I Come In Peace is a far better title than Dark Angel.
Old 04-15-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 813 Likes on 318 Posts

^It is. And thank god Shout offers reversible covers.

Anyway, I was in the mood for something animated and discovered this.

On YouTube. It's amazing, and needs a Blu-ray release.
Followed it up with Magical Mystery Tour on Blu-ray. Yes, it's the Beatles worst film, devoid of a plot, and makes zero sense, but I still love it.
Old 04-16-15, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 316 Posts

I've been roaming Netflix the last day or so and I watching a solid documentary on KNB FX called Nightmare Factory (2011).

Highly recommended for anyone who loves that those guys do and/or appreciate the FX field.
Old 04-16-15, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A challenge worthy list of bad sequels. I actually dig some of these (Staying Alive is awesome) and I've been meaning to see others forever. For those looking to change things up, sometimes the bad sequel is the second helping you actually crave, but will feel guilty about later.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paul...ble_part_twos/

Also, I'm checking out Paul Blart 2 for sure. Currently at 0% on RT. Will it remain below 20...I'm thinking yes!
Old 04-16-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started this morning with chapter 2 of Superman. It's enjoyable so far.
Old 04-16-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I never got where Dark Angel came from. I remember the commercials for this when it was out at theaters and it was always I Come In Peace. I've read the wiki article on it but Dark Angel is not what I remember it ever going by.
When I saw it the tentative title was Dark Angel, but the filmmakers said they weren't satisfied with it. We were given slips of paper with different titles (whose names escape me) to vote on. It's the only time I saw the film, but I seem to remember the alien Grooting his "I Come in Peace" line over and over so that seemed like the most obvious title to me.

I watched Telephone Book last night and that really was an odd film. Very surreal at times and quite experimental. The lead actress was cute in a poor man's Goldie Hawn kind of way. I'm a big fan of voices and could listen to the obscene caller all day. He had one of those Ernie Anderson, Don LaFontaine, Hal Douglas, Adolph Caesar voices. His was more like 60s sci fi voice over.
Old 04-16-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My last few movies have been reviewed... a mix of Full Moon, a blaxploitation western, a nature run amok film and a giallo. What a great mix. http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...5-days_16.html
Old 04-16-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts

I watched a William Castle flick from the early 50s, Serpent of the Nile, about Cleopatra's seduction of Mark Antony after the death of Julius Caesar. It's a Sam Katzman combination of overwrought dialogue and cheap production values with a 3rd string cast, but great campy fun to watch. You can always tell when the production has no money when they use curtains as backdrops because they can't afford to build. When Raymond Burr is playing the beefcake role, You know it's quality.

Also a very young Julie Newmar does the dance of the Oscar statue

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CG8JcOxBZZc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Gobear; 04-17-15 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished The Man With The Iron Fists 2 (2015) via Netflix. I realize that it was a DTV effort, but it was pretty bad.

RZA managed to co-write a script that didn't make a lick of sense. The possibly low-budget (compared to the first film) show in almost every aspect of this film.

Dustin Nguyen is wasted here as is everyone who is involved in this film.
Old 04-17-15, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Well, I finally saw something Italian for the challenge: THE GIANT OF MARATHON (1959), a satisfying epic co-directed by Jacques Tourneur and Mario Bava and starring Steve Reeves. It's on the "Clash of the Olympians" Mill Creek box set. Not the greatest print, but still possibly the best looking film in that set. I'd love to see a restored widescreen version of this. The visuals are beautiful (courtesy of Bava). It's also got quite a bit of large-scale action including a sea battle with lots of underwater action. The leading lady, Mylene Demongeot, is probably one of the best-looking female leads who ever appeared in this genre.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-17-15 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Finished The Man With The Iron Fists 2 (2015) via Netflix. I realize that it was a DTV effort, but it was pretty bad.

RZA managed to co-write a script that didn't make a lick of sense. The possibly low-budget (compared to the first film) show in almost every aspect of this film.

Dustin Nguyen is wasted here as is everyone who is involved in this film.
I didn't think it was that awful then again I didn't think it was very good either but I haven't seen the first to compare it to which would probably make it look even worse. Rza needed to not star in the movie, he has zero charisma or energy. I also paid about 75% attention to the movie so maybe that has a little something to do with it lol
Old 04-17-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by indiephantom
A challenge worthy list of bad sequels. I actually dig some of these (Staying Alive is awesome) and I've been meaning to see others forever. For those looking to change things up, sometimes the bad sequel is the second helping you actually crave, but will feel guilty about later.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/paul...ble_part_twos/

Also, I'm checking out Paul Blart 2 for sure. Currently at 0% on RT. Will it remain below 20...I'm thinking yes!
Good looking list.

On another note, all I feel like doing is watching tv today, and at least some of which will be challenge content. I tried watching Event Horizon on Epix Drive In last night, but ended up turning it off. It looked like a good horror movie , but it also was starting to creep me out. I might give it another chance sometime though as I have the Blu ray still unopened.
Old 04-17-15, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 709 Likes on 508 Posts

I keep telling myself I need to stop purchasing these non SF/Horror MC sets of "B" (and lower) films, especially after some of the ones I've seen this month!

Yesterday I went back to finish the non-horror films in the "Cult Terror Cinema" starting with the snoozefest Carnival of Crime (1962). I generously gave it a 2 out of 10 rating but may revise that down if I think about it too much. It has it all... bad staging/score/acting/cinematography/script/directing/and more.

I followed it with The Teacher (1974) which honestly wasn't much better. It benefited by having a slightly better, although cliche, script, nudity (from Angel Tompkins), and Jay North (Dennis the Menace) in a "starring" role. Basically a revenge film with a bit of older woman/younger man action thrown in for good measure. It has *lots* of very static camera shots that go on and on and on. You would think the director would have had at least a couple of cuts to break things up but no... guess he was shooting for the longest uncut shot on record. Several actors looked familiar but I couldn't tell you where I've seen them before. I think the entire cast was made up of mainly TV supporting actors looking to break into the "big time." Several horrible and forgettable songs were on hand to stretch out the various scenes.

I started The Babysitter (1969) but fell asleep on it about a half hour in. It was shaping up to be not much better than either of the two prior films but at least it didn't (so far) have lots of long static shots. There *was* a unnecessary routine in the basement of the house in which the girl was babysitting which seemed solely to get a bit of nudity in the film. A typical "OK... the kid's parents have left so let's have a party with a live band" thing. I'll finish it tonight but I anticipate it being somewhat of a chore.

Yes... I must finish it as I watch everything I buy at least once no matter how bad it may be. Sadly some are so forgettable that I'll watch them again (usually due to their inclusion on yet another MC set I picked up) and only realize I've seen it about half way through!
Old 04-17-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 888 Likes on 749 Posts

Motivational Growth is a somewhat bizarre b-movie about a man that starts taking advice from the fungus growing on his bathroom wall. The only reason to really see it is Jeffrey Comb's voice performance as said fungus, the genre actor has been getting voice roles pretty regularly over the past twenty years.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/04/16/moti...lu-ray-review/
Old 04-17-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I keep telling myself I need to stop purchasing these non SF/Horror MC sets of "B" (and lower) films, especially after some of the ones I've seen this month!

Yesterday I went back to finish the non-horror films in the "Cult Terror Cinema" starting with the snoozefest Carnival of Crime (1962). I generously gave it a 2 out of 10 rating but may revise that down if I think about it too much. It has it all... bad staging/score/acting/cinematography/script/directing/and more.

I followed it with The Teacher (1974) which honestly wasn't much better. It benefited by having a slightly better, although cliche, script, nudity (from Angel Tompkins), and Jay North (Dennis the Menace) in a "starring" role. Basically a revenge film with a bit of older woman/younger man action thrown in for good measure. It has *lots* of very static camera shots that go on and on and on. You would think the director would have had at least a couple of cuts to break things up but no... guess he was shooting for the longest uncut shot on record. Several actors looked familiar but I couldn't tell you where I've seen them before. I think the entire cast was made up of mainly TV supporting actors looking to break into the "big time." Several horrible and forgettable songs were on hand to stretch out the various scenes.

I started The Babysitter (1969) but fell asleep on it about a half hour in. It was shaping up to be not much better than either of the two prior films but at least it didn't (so far) have lots of long static shots. There *was* a unnecessary routine in the basement of the house in which the girl was babysitting which seemed solely to get a bit of nudity in the film. A typical "OK... the kid's parents have left so let's have a party with a live band" thing. I'll finish it tonight but I anticipate it being somewhat of a chore.

Yes... I must finish it as I watch everything I buy at least once no matter how bad it may be. Sadly some are so forgettable that I'll watch them again (usually due to their inclusion on yet another MC set I picked up) and only realize I've seen it about half way through!

Now I'm dreading finishing Cult Terror Cinema. I stopped after the first two movies.
Old 04-17-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I didn't think it was that awful then again I didn't think it was very good either but I haven't seen the first to compare it to which would probably make it look even worse. Rza needed to not star in the movie, he has zero charisma or energy. I also paid about 75% attention to the movie so maybe that has a little something to do with it lol
Haha that would definitely make the film come off better than it actually was.

Honestly, at one point I thought the sequel was a film of people walking in and out of buildings for it's entire run time.
Old 04-17-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

You guys! There's so much good stuff to watch that fits this challenge. Your own collections contain this good stuff. Or you can find it on YouTube! Or a million other places. You don't have to watch utter bilge like the stuff you're describing. It shouldn't have to be a chore.

Of course, you can simply say you're exploring new territory to protect the rest of us from having to do so. I'll take that
Old 04-17-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Haha that would definitely make the film come off better than it actually was.

Honestly, at one point I thought the sequel was a film of people walking in and out of buildings for it's entire run time.
I think it was a subconscious decision after the voice over in the beginning explaining the river of chi nearly put me to sleep that I decided it'd be best to only pay partial attention. Even so, it was far from great.
Old 04-17-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I think it was a subconscious decision after the voice over in the beginning explaining the river of chi nearly put me to sleep that I decided it'd be best to only pay partial attention. Even so, it was far from great.
That makes so much sense

I know you didn't see the first film but

Spoiler:
The fact that the opening scene has the (convenient) brother of Silver Lion was eye-roll inducing.

It was an obvious attempt at finding some way for Thaddeus to get to the next village. That entire opening alone should have warned me that this entire effort was going to be confused as hell. It's also small things like Thaddeus using phrases like 'Lord knows...', but is apparently Buddhist. So many annoyances. There's also that hilarious scene in the finale where you can clearly see the wire strapped to Dustin Nguyen's back when he is flying through the air.

The film would have been better if they had let Dustin Nguyen just kick people's asses for 90 minutes. I loved him in The Rebel (2007). Such a great Vietnamese Action film.

Random note, New York Ripper (1982) has some absolute brutal scenes in it. Also it was great to see all the movie marquees with films that this challenge would gladly support all throughout shots of 42nd street.
Old 04-17-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
You guys! There's so much good stuff to watch that fits this challenge. Your own collections contain this good stuff. Or you can find it on YouTube! Or a million other places. You don't have to watch utter bilge like the stuff you're describing. It shouldn't have to be a chore.

Of course, you can simply say you're exploring new territory to protect the rest of us from having to do so. I'll take that
I've watched mostly classic horror, peplum, and martial arts films myself.
Old 04-17-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 709 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Now I'm dreading finishing Cult Terror Cinema. I stopped after the first two movies.
Don't let my opinions stop you! IMHO, a few films from that set were "good." When it comes to "B" productions I lean *heavily* towards Horror, SF, Comedy, and Detective/Noir *all* from 1969 or earlier. The films I'm working through now do *not* fit that description.
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Yes, I have *tons* of really good films I could watch but I've so much stuff in the unopened pile that I draw from it first. If I watch too many films I consider "bad," like some of those I've seen this year, I'll either pull something I'm sure I'll like from the unwatched pile or will fall back on old favorites.

One of the things with these sets from MC is you never know when you'll discover that new "favorite" film in the dregs of a collection - even from those genres I normally don't watch. I blame MC for including titles in these collections that really do *not* fit except for loose connections. Still... every one of those films could easily have played during their release year at the drive-in at the next town over (about 10 miles away).

And, yes, we're "exploring new territory" for the rest of you. One of the things about posting opinions is I'll occasionally discover a new film *I* like from reading about a film someone else thought was .
Old 04-17-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taking a break to go see Electric Wizard & Satan's Satyrs tonight in San Francisco!

Got my ticket back in December. The show sold out in maybe 40 minutes. I'll pick up where I left off on the challenge later this weekend.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HLI6RgfieyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.