DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVD vs On Demand (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/624658-dvd-vs-demand.html)

SunnyMistyCat 01-17-15 12:38 AM

DVD vs On Demand

Now that there are so many ways to view movies -- which do you prefer? To own a physical DVDs or have them On Demand? I admit I'm torn, I love owning a DVD and knowing it's always there, and the bonus materials are always a huge plus. Yet for the sake of space and convenience, I do like things On Demand .... so difficult to decide!

taffer 01-17-15 01:45 AM

Re: DVD vs On Demand

For movies that I love to rewatch again and again, I absolutely want to own it on a physical disc. For everything else, I am fine with "renting" a digital copy to watch once. There's really only a handful (maybe 3 or 4) of new movies that I love enough to buy per year.

Alan Smithee 01-17-15 07:16 AM

For watching something just one time, it's easier to watch something "on demand" than to go rent a disc- and I'll even admit that usually the picture quality of on demand is better than regular DVD, though it's not quite as good as Blu-Ray. I would still rather buy a movie I want to keep on DVD than through streaming though.

MysterioMan007 01-18-15 06:24 PM

I prefer physical copies if I am purchasing, but rentals I'm okay with streaming.

JTH182 01-18-15 07:08 PM

I remember watching movies on DVD... in 2005.

Solid Snake 01-18-15 07:30 PM

DVD? Why? Fuck that formant unless it's the last chance you got for a film not released on BD. It's BD or get the fuck out now, man. Jeez.

Mike86 01-18-15 07:48 PM

I generally agree about not watching or buying many DVDs anymore, but in certain cases where its not likely something will see a Blu-ray release I'll still purchase them. Anyways when given the option I always prefer a physical copy over any type of digital copy.

hanshotfirst1138 01-19-15 09:42 AM

I rent from Redbox, mostly. I'm not a huge fan of the digital-only future as it is, but $2 is frankly my limit anyway. I don't want to pay the prices for digital rentals of $5+. That said, physical media is on its knees, so the choice will be moot shortly.

taffer 01-19-15 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 (Post 12368940)
physical media is on its knees

Getting VD from BD...

mndtrp 01-19-15 10:46 AM

I will buy physical if I know I will want to watch the movie again and again, extra incentive if I am interested in special features. This is becoming increasingly rare, mainly because my limited amount of free time doesn't allow for much repeat viewing.

rw2516 01-19-15 04:11 PM

The correct choice is the one that let's you view anything you want, at any time you want, every day for the rest of your life.

RichC2 01-19-15 04:43 PM

I buy physical and add it to my Plex library, which is a gray area, digital download codes for Vudu are equally helpful since you can share out your library to friends/family legitimately. I rent digitally.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 01-20-15 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 12369367)
I buy physical and add it to my Plex library, which is a gray area

It's not really a gray area. If you're cracking the encryption to rip a disc, then you've broken a specific law.

Regulus 01-20-15 10:19 AM

Definitely Physical. I do not to "purchase" a title on someone's "cloud storage" then find out the company went out of business or a title got yanked off because of some "rights issue". No thanks, If I have a "Recalled" disk they can have it after they pry my cold, dead fingers around it.

popcorn 01-20-15 12:50 PM

I usually get movies from the library or Redbook. If it's worth a repeat watch, I get it on Blu-ray, DVD if unavailable in that format. I still stream from Netflix, Amazon, and Plex, but I don't want to wonder if a movie is available when I want to watch it at the highest quality possible.

ntnon 01-20-15 05:05 PM

I am very happy that so many things are now available as "BOTH" at once. I am a big fan of Disney's Blu/DVD/digital releases, and vastly prefer to buy those triple packs for any release I want. If such is available. If not, I prefer having something to not, but the convenience of streaming is still nice.

kd5 01-20-15 05:35 PM

I prefer physical media. I own it, it's mine, I can watch it any time I want to, as many times as I want to, I can peruse the back of the case, read whatever inserts/liner notes there are, admire my collection, take pictures of it, show it off (if I want to), my physical collection is something I can be proud of. Can't hardly show off a hard drive or virtual storage. Ooohh, look at my shiny new hard drive! Ain't it fancy???

BobO'Link 01-20-15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Regulus (Post 12369911)
Definitely Physical. I do not to "purchase" a title on someone's "cloud storage" then find out the company went out of business or a title got yanked off because of some "rights issue". No thanks, If I have a "Recalled" disk they can have it after they pry my cold, dead fingers around it.

Exactly!

I also do not "rent" any media unless it's 100% free and then it's simply to sample the title to see if I want to make a physical purchase. I've seen too many companies go under to trust any digital service.

ntnon 01-20-15 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12370474)
Exactly!

I also do not "rent" any media unless it's 100% free and then it's simply to sample the title to see if I want to make a physical purchase. I've seen too many companies go under to trust any digital service.

I'm amazed (and irritated) that the various companies haven't - so far as I'm aware - set up a way to give you a discounted price if you rent first and then decude to buy. I don't think I've ever rented something digitally because of the cost: it seems standard to be $3-5 to rent something that will often be only twice that to own... and more importantly, will often (with patience) be in that same $5-10 window with "free blu ray/DVD" before long. So where's the impetus to buy or rent digitally? Is it not just throwing money away?

If I don't enjoy it: money wasted.
If I do enjoy it and want to own it: I end up paying twice.

Whereas, if I wait and buy the combo pack, I get the physical AND digital copy... and will probably SAVE money over just buying the digital!

d2cheer 01-21-15 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12368441)
I remember watching movies on DVD... in 2005.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake (Post 12368463)
DVD? Why? Fuck that formant unless it's the last chance you got for a film not released on BD. It's BD or get the fuck out now, man. Jeez.

Wow look!!! It's the blu ray snobs!!!! :rolleyes:

I prefer physical media always. Upconverted DVD's look just fine on my 60" TV. Yea blu is better but it isn't that much fucking better...which is why the format never took over DVD's. DVD will never go away it still makes way more revenue than blu. So suck it.

mndtrp 01-21-15 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 12370470)
I prefer physical media. I own it, it's mine, I can watch it any time I want to, as many times as I want to, I can peruse the back of the case, read whatever inserts/liner notes there are, admire my collection, take pictures of it, show it off (if I want to), my physical collection is something I can be proud of. Can't hardly show off a hard drive or virtual storage. Ooohh, look at my shiny new hard drive! Ain't it fancy???

Fortunately I'm not concerned with showing off my movies, music, or books. I get that some people like to, but I'm glad that I can put everything on one small disc.

Admittedly, I do rip my music as mp3, so I'm losing fidelity there, but it's not enough to worry about at this point. I can't think of the last time I sat down and dedicated quality listening time to some music.

kd5 01-21-15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp (Post 12371043)
Fortunately I'm not concerned with showing off my movies, music, or books. I get that some people like to, but I'm glad that I can put everything on one small disc.

Actually, I don't really show off my movies, but I could if I wanted to, which is more than I could say if I had all my movies on a hard drive or in a cloud somewhere. But that's just one small part of what I was trying to say in my post.

Regulus 01-21-15 05:50 PM

People FREAK OUT when they see my collection. This week a cousin decided she was going to discontinue her $149.00 a month subscription to Pay-TV and purchase an outdoor Antenna, and also buy DVDs of her favorite programming (That's TV Shows, Movies, Serials & Documentaries for those of you in Rio Linda! :D).

cesidio 01-22-15 05:01 PM

which ever is cheaper. DVD Blu-ray on demand, doesn't matter. For instance bought Prometheus on BR for 5 bucks 3 weeks ago. DVD would have cost 10 on demand also 10.

Mondo Kane 01-22-15 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 12371012)
Yea blu is better but it isn't that much fucking better...

Thank you.

I was actually starting to get brainwashed here into thinking that picture quality is much more important than plot.