Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-14, 09:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by shadokitty
For those who live in the US, Happy National Candy Corn Day.
I wonder what DVDTalk's demographics are; 90+% US?

I'm jonesing for some candy corn now.
Old 10-30-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Trevor

Me too. I heard it while watching our morning local talk show/news show today. Kitchen cook was making candy corn martinis .

Just finished the Blu-Ray of Godzilla vs. Gigan and heard a good Japanese song at the end. Must have been about Godzilla as I recognized Gojira a couple times.
Old 10-30-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Is candy corn uniquely american? I wonder what other nations eat during the season, smarties?
Old 10-30-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Watched Madman last night...meh. I had built it up too much in my head because it was Code Red and I had never seen it.

Pretty bleh with only a few memorable moments.
Old 10-30-14, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a heads up for anyone who is following the news about my boxer and her tumor. She had it removed today, and the vet said it was nothing to worry about, so the tumor was benign. I was in terror all day that she had cancer, or even worse was going to have to be euthanized.
I don't post on this thread much, but as a dog person I wanted to let you know how glad I am to read this. I lost a dog a few months ago to something very similar and I know all to well what you were likely going through. I'm happy to hear it turned out okay.
Old 10-30-14, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

For those who live in the US, Happy National Candy Corn Day.
We have a "National Candy Corn Day?"

OK... candy corn is out... now where'd I put those peanuts?
Old 10-30-14, 11:37 AM

The Devil's Business was a surprisingly taunt and character driven slow burn.

Witchboard was not as great as I'd hoped but for a ouija driven horror movie not sure what I should have expected. Hoping for better with Witchboard 2: The Devil's Doorway.
Old 10-30-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Just a heads up for anyone who is following the news about my boxer and her tumor. She had it removed today, and the vet said it was nothing to worry about, so the tumor was benign. I was in terror all day that she had cancer, or even worse was going to have to be euthanized.
Wonderful news! Very glad your boxer is doing well! My sister is going through a similar situation with her fourteen year-old dog. We are all hoping the dog makes it through Christmas.

I'm about to state two opinions that may be unpopular. First, I'm not a fan of candy corn; it's too sweet for me. Second, I'm not sure why Suspiria gets so much love and praise. While the visuals were absolutely stunning (especially a moody scene were characters are sleeping in a dance studio), the story and characters were mostly nonsensical and flat. Perhaps I need more exposure to Dario Argento and his brand of filmmaking to fully understand and appreciate the film.
Old 10-30-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell S
I don't post on this thread much, but as a dog person I wanted to let you know how glad I am to read this. I lost a dog a few months ago to something very similar and I know all to well what you were likely going through. I'm happy to hear it turned out okay.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Wonderful news! Very glad your boxer is doing well! My sister is going through a similar situation with her fourteen year-old dog. We are all hoping the dog makes it through Christmas.
Well wishes going your way. Our boxer is 3, but I've heard 4 can be the average age for a boxer, and I know that from experience. They are susceptible to cancer. We lost two a few years ago who were only 3 and 4 to cancer and the other one to a brain tumor.
Old 10-30-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

First, I'm not a fan of candy corn; it's too sweet for me.
Yeah, it just tastes like pure sugar to me. I know, what's my point.
Old 10-30-14, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, it just tastes like pure sugar to me. I know, what's my point.
It tastes like pure Halloween to me! I'm working until 2300, so I sent my wife on a mission to buy some.
Old 10-30-14, 12:42 PM

...the story and characters were mostly nonsensical and flat. Perhaps I need more exposure to Dario Argento and his brand of filmmaking to fully understand and appreciate the film.
I think looking at Suspiria as a dark fairy tale makes more sense than seeing it as a straight horror story. It is more about visual flare and "magic" than plot with much of the cast seeming secretive or ill defined. It's a sort of little red riding hood character (single actress) with witches (vague surroundings) built more on exploring a ballet studio wonder land than in social interactions. Plus epic soundtrack.
Old 10-30-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm about to state two opinions that may be unpopular. First, I'm not a fan of candy corn; it's too sweet for me. Second, I'm not sure why Suspiria gets so much love and praise. While the visuals were absolutely stunning (especially a moody scene were characters are sleeping in a dance studio), the story and characters were mostly nonsensical and flat. Perhaps I need more exposure to Dario Argento and his brand of filmmaking to fully understand and appreciate the film.
Have you seen many other Italian horror films from this era? They are quite unique and bizarre compared to American/British horror movies. With all of the dubbing and surreal lighting, they can be an acquired taste. You have to get used to the eccentricities of the genre before really getting into them.
Old 10-30-14, 12:52 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

It tastes like pure Halloween to me! I'm working until 2300, so I sent my wife on a mission to buy some.
Holy crap! You've got to work another 286 years?!?!?

I joke.
Old 10-30-14, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Got in the Halloween spirit with a pumpkin carving today. I wasn't able to do one last year and it just didn't feel right so I made sure to do one this year even if the only person that will probably enjoy it is me (unless I bring it to a party friday night). Here it is... Mr. Stay Puft.

Oh and here's day 28's viewings! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...14-day-28.html
Awesome, looks great! I approve!
Old 10-30-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Given the candy corn discussion this Halloween quiz seems appropriate.

I am much better at watching movies than answering these questions.
Old 10-30-14, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Holy crap! You've got to work another 286 years?!?!?
With the way my retirement accounts have been performing? Yes.
Old 10-30-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm about to state two opinions that may be unpopular. First, I'm not a fan of candy corn; it's too sweet for me.
I'm not a big fan of "raw" candy corn for much the same reason - 3 or 4 pieces and I'm done. BUT mix 1 candy corn with 2 or 3 peanuts, which makes something that tastes much like a PayDay candy bar, and I can go through one of the small (i.e. normal) size bags watching a movie or two.
Wal-Mart - they have a ~3lb. bag of Brachs (the only "good" ones) with a zip-lock top which is less expensive than picking up those small bags. My will go through a couple of those in a month this time of the year. I also pick up a couple for early spring when they're harder to find. Amazingly, those still taste fresh when opened. Last year I purchased way more than needed and just opened the last of them about a month ago - it tasted as fresh as when I first purchased them. Kind of makes you wonder...
Old 10-30-14, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chad recommended Devil Story earlier in the Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSAFBH0UgHo
I just watched it and it earns high marks for sheer lunacy. It also works for today's theme... I think. Either way it deserves more viewers and comment. For those who choose to take the plunge, I suggest you challenge yourselves to drink every time you hear a horse neigh. Good luck...
Old 10-30-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Watched Madman last night...meh. I had built it up too much in my head because it was Code Red and I had never seen it.

Pretty bleh with only a few memorable moments.
You built up your expectations because it was a Code Red release? I usually lower my expectations when I see that logo on the box.
Old 10-30-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Nope, it sounds like you understood Argento's film style. All of his movies have some innovative shots and they dwell in a very stylish mood, but a strong narrative structure has never been his strong point.

His stuff is not for everyone. Italian horror films are practically their own genre.
Old 10-30-14, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I also pick up a couple for early spring when they're harder to find. Amazingly, those still taste fresh when opened. Last year I purchased way more than needed and just opened the last of them about a month ago - it tasted as fresh as when I first purchased them. Kind of makes you wonder...
Expiration dates are a sham. Processed food stays good forever.

I like that mixing peanuts with it idea, that or perhaps other trail mix type items.
Old 10-30-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I didn't mind Candy Corn as a child but wouldn't bother me if I ever had it again. It tastes like straight sugar with nothing added.
Old 10-30-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Expiration dates are a sham. Processed food stays good forever.
I'll assume you're joking about "forever," but they are a little bit of a sham because some people take "best by," "best before, and "sell by" dates as expiration dates and throw out perfectly good food.
Old 10-30-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
There's also the similar LootCrate (and maybe others), so it might be worth your while checking past offerings and seeing which is more likely to fit with your interests.

I know a lot of people who love the mystery of these things, and many who've got a whole load of stuff they liked and wanted - but I also know some people who've been displeased that they already own three-quarters of what they receive. So it's definitely fun, reasonably-priced and worth your while; but also worth checking into a little first.
If you buy a lot of stuff like what they throw in the boxes (knick-knacks, action figures, trading cards, etc.) then I would definitely stay away from it. Since I rarely buy stuff like that, I have never gotten anything that I have already bought. I might get stuff I don't want or need, but then that is the gamble you take with packages like this.

I prefer the nerdblock packages to lootcrate due to a couple of reasons: Nerdblocks and their siblings Horrorblock and Videogameblock, always come with a T-shirt and I like being able to just get "horror" related items in the horrorblock. With lootcrate, they have a theme each month and if you don't like that particular theme, oh well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.