Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Old 10-18-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I really wanted to watch Nail Gun Massacre for today's theme but couldn't fit it in. It'll work fine for Sunday, though. But judging from the reviews I've seen I may not be in for the best experience. Today I did make it through Charles Band's Laserblast. Thank god it was the MST3K version.
Old 10-19-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone else ever seen Valerie and Her Week of Wonders? ...It's very dreamlike, surrealistic, and symbolic
I have the Valerie and Her Week of Wonders on DVD, it's a great surreal film exploring themes of lust and control using witches and vampires as metaphors - definitely under-appreciated and pre-dated Ginger Snaps in using horror conventions as an illustration of early womanhood. Criterion Collection hosts it on Hulu and there are rumors of a Criterion Valerie disc in the future. Valerie and Her Week of Wonders was a challenge highlight for me a few years back when I caught it for the first time, I'm due for a re-watch.

Valerie & Her Week of Wonders on Hulu link - http://www.hulu.com/watch/333078.
Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I really wanted to watch Nail Gun Massacre...
I've got Nail Gun Massacre lined up too, but keep hesitating because it seems like something that requires a certain type of mood.
Old 10-19-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
re: Graveyard Shift(1990)

If it shows
Spoiler:
the surviving drifter character punching out on the clock as he leaves the building after defeating the monster.
That's the TV-version alternate ending. It doesn't get shown as much lately though and is mostly just the theatrical version edited for content.

The last time I saw the TV version was on basic TV(not cable) a couple years ago. It was interesting to see just how much footage was added; since the film didn't get to the
Spoiler:
basement being cleaned, and them discovering the tunnels below the factory
until their was only 30 minutes left(with commercials) in the two hour time slot!

I saw the theatrical version then.

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The biggest thing impacting me right now is a slight change in my work schedule. Most of shifts have been pushed back an hour. An 8-5 shift isn't that bad, but that 9-6 shift breaks me for some reason. I come home just exhausted.
What's impacting me, is even though I'm retired, my mom has had a lot of health problems lately, so I've been busy running the family business.
Old 10-19-14, 12:48 AM

Graduation Day was fast paced but with paper thin focus on body count fodder characters I wondered what the outcome would be when suddenly out of left field comes an epic and totally redeeming ending.
Old 10-19-14, 01:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tonight I watched The Entity (1982). For those who don't know, it's the film based on a true story about a woman who is repeatedly sexually assaulted by a poltergeist. It's a pretty well made and creepy movie.

Here is a photo from the real case.

Old 10-19-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Dear Dracula's Daughter,

Thank you for your legacy that became Jess Franco.

[What the world needs now really is an epic lesbian vampire movie; whatever happened to eurosleaze?]
I got a good laugh out of this hahaha! And I agree!
Old 10-19-14, 07:52 AM

Just hit 100! Sadly, due to today's theme I am binging on Giallo and I hate Giallo, so it's been a pretty bad day so far.
Old 10-19-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Just passed 50 with Crystal Lake Memories. Got me up to 54.
Old 10-19-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Just hit 100! Sadly, due to today's theme I am binging on Giallo and I hate Giallo, so it's been a pretty bad day so far.
I'm so bummed giallo day is today when football will severely cut into my movie watching. I wanted to go nuts on gialli today
Old 10-19-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got Nail Gun Massacre lined up too, but keep hesitating because it seems like something that requires a certain type of mood.
I absolutely loved it. Sure, it's campy and silly, but more than anything it's charming as heck. For a first and only time director (Terry Lofton) it's pretty impressive. And not only for his first time directing, producing, writing, casting, acting, etc, he did great doing his own SFX as well. Loved it.

And just having a camouflaged killer that wears a motorcycle helmet, drives a hearse, and speaks with a synthesised voice, oh and carries a modified nail gun, equals a must-watch in my book. And in the DVD interview you can tell Terry was just a good 'ol Texas country boy that decided on a whim to make a horror movie. I could have done with a little less penis shots though.
Old 10-19-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts

Well, I watched all nine Hellraiser movies in the last few days and I survived. The journey wasn't quite so bad as everyone seems to make it but then again, I am not a huge Hellraiser fan in the first place. The movie series has some serious identity issues in the middle that seem to persist until the most recent movie. It seems they want to be the new Nightmare On Elm Street series instead of actual Hellraiser movies (if you go by the first two movies that laid the groundworks).

The rules and the character of Pinhead seems to change at the scriptwriter's whim and thus I can see why huge fans of the first couple of movies despise the sequels. But most were not that bad and were far better than some of the direct to video horror movies that seem to populate the current landscape.

The last one does have the crime of having someone other than Doug Bradley playing the character of Pinhead. This is quite jarring, especially after seeing him portray the character 8 times before. Why didn't they just create a new character instead of trying to use the exact same character? Hell, they could have created a new Pinhead so they really fucked up with that one. Revelations does definitely have other problems but this one is the most glaring. It does get extra points for trying to steer the series back into the Hellraiser world that the first two created instead of aping the NOES series as mentioned above.
Old 10-19-14, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Well, I watched all nine Hellraiser movies in the last few days and I survived. The journey wasn't quite so bad as everyone seems to make it but then again, I am not a huge Hellraiser fan in the first place. The movie series has some serious identity issues in the middle that seem to persist until the most recent movie. It seems they want to be the new Nightmare On Elm Street series instead of actual Hellraiser movies (if you go by the first two movies that laid the groundworks).

The rules and the character of Pinhead seems to change at the scriptwriter's whim and thus I can see why huge fans of the first couple of movies despise the sequels. But most were not that bad and were far better than some of the direct to video horror movies that seem to populate the current landscape.

The last one does have the crime of having someone other than Doug Bradley playing the character of Pinhead. This is quite jarring, especially after seeing him portray the character 8 times before. Why didn't they just create a new character instead of trying to use the exact same character? Hell, they could have created a new Pinhead so they really fucked up with that one. Revelations does definitely have other problems but this one is the most glaring. It does get extra points for trying to steer the series back into the Hellraiser world that the first two created instead of aping the NOES series as mentioned above.
I watched all nine of them on my birthday earlier this year (having previously seen only the first two), and I found most of them to just be 'mediocre' rather than horrible - they didn't seem to exist in the same universe as the first two, but were decent enough. I felt similarly about Revelations too - it was definitely the worst of the films and got props only for actually wanting to try and exist in the same Hellraiser world, but that Pinhead was so horrible. I really like Pinhead coz he's just this cool, calm, collected and unpredictable dude and Revelations Pinhead was like an angry, snarling child.
Old 10-19-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

Many of the later films were thier own story that ended up having Pinhead written in and then given a Hellraiser title.

If it's not fun, why keep doing it?
Old 10-19-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,008 Likes on 614 Posts

Yeah, I know about the script issues over the years. It just seems so strange to shit on such a potentially great franchise. Studios make decisions that I will never understand. I know they are money based but it seems that their short term decisions hurt them in the long run.
Old 10-19-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm making peace with the fact that I probably won't make it to 100 entries, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try.

Yesterday, I went over to a friend's place, and we watched an odd double feature: Frankenstein (1994) and Paranormal Activity. While watching Kenneth Branagh's take Mary Shelley's novel, it became clear why he was a good choice to direct the first Thor film. There is a frantic energy in his camerawork that even with the mid-90s lighting and aesthetic feels like a Marvel film. I found the film really dark and compelling. It sticks pretty closely to the original story (to a point) but heightens the romantic aspects.

I hadn't seen Paranormal Activity and really enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty spooky, especially since it was set in an unassuming tract house. Also, I liked that we never get an explanation of why Katie is targeted. The only downside of the film was how annoying Micah (the boyfriend) was. Is the rest of the franchise worth checking out?
Old 10-19-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

"The world is full of shadow people moving and going nowhere."

Yesterday's viewing for "1980's video companies" was The Demon Lover followed by Demon Lover Diary and in the words of Chris Farley in Tommy Boy, "That. Was. Awesome!" I don't think anything else that I watch for this challenge -- or ever again -- will top that viewing experience.

"If there's no hassle, let's go inside the castle."
Old 10-19-14, 12:09 PM

Trying to decide if my head would explode attempting to watch all Saw movies back to back later in the week.
Old 10-19-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure the right word to best sum up Orphan Killer: Sadistic or cruel. I guess it can be cruelly sadistic. Either way, it has postponed my eating lunch while watching.
Old 10-19-14, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I hadn't seen Paranormal Activity and really enjoyed it. I thought it was pretty spooky, especially since it was set in an unassuming tract house. Also, I liked that we never get an explanation of why Katie is targeted. The only downside of the film was how annoying Micah (the boyfriend) was. Is the rest of the franchise worth checking out?
If you liked it, I'd say give the second and third movies a shot. But, as you can imagine, a lot of things from the first movie are explained. PA4 was "meh" for me and I haven't bothered watching the 5th one.
Old 10-19-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 624 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If it's not fun, why keep doing it?
Congrats! But, yeah... what "Peepers" said... Since you're doing the theme days I'd say watch *one* for the theme and move on to something you actually like!
Old 10-19-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trying to decide if my head would explode attempting to watch all Saw movies back to back later in the week.
I did this last year, after only seeing the first one before. I liked doing it since it was easier to recall all the connections with what starts going on in each film.

I'm currently wasting a bunch of time deciding if I want to watch Subspecies 3 in the bedroom or setup Evil Bong 3 in the theater room. EB3 is going to end up being terrible but it's in 3D and has scratch and sniff cards. I'll also discover my projector isn't perfectly lined up and then I'll spend way too long trying to get it absolutely perfect, until the next time someone slightly bumps the table its on.

What's also sad is that I upgraded my projector early in the year but I've yet to watch anything on it.
Old 10-19-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of gialli (although I strongly recommend Berberian Sound Studio to people who love them-it's a love letter to Italian horror films of the 70s), so I went with the serial killer theme and watched You're Next. So glad I did. It's a much better film than I thought it would be, even though I much prefer supernatural horror to the slasher subgenre. One the action gets going, the suspense is nonstop with a few twists and turns to keep the viewer guessing. If you've watched the V/H/S films you'll recognize a lot of the cast.
Old 10-19-14, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a reminder: Elvira's 13 Nights on Hulu begins today. You can watch her host Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death right now.
Old 10-19-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Had a fun time with yesterday's theme, although I didn't stick to it:

The Visitor was exactly what I thought it would be, and I loved every minute of it. John Huston and Glenn Ford doing it for the paycheck.

Witchboard 2 wasn't even remotely scary, but a fun mystery and definitely a step up from Tawny Kitaen's wooden acting and the shoddy set pieces from the original (still liked it). Laraine Newman as the hippie was like watching an old SNL sketch.

Assault! Jack the Ripper was a pretty straightforward Pinku movie. Went straight for the jugular ...and crotch.

And speaking of crotch-stabbing (unintentional theme), I gave Revenge of the Living Dead Girls a try to see if it lived up to its bad reputation. It does. With the exception of ROTLD, I've never been a huge of sentient/self-aware zombies, and this is exactly why - they were driving a car, swimming in a pool, having an "orgy", and playing a church organ. The message at the end "Don't be diabolical; don't arouse the interest of your friends in this movie. Thank you." was good advice, but should have been placed before the opening credits. Another reason why porn director's should stick to their profession.
Old 10-19-14, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to disagree with IMDB, today's movie (Jack's Back) is not horror.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.