Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Congrats StayPuft!

I too usually suck at these banner contests, but I recognized a few movies on this one just by glancing at it. I'm sure with a little work, I can find 10 movies. If not, it will be fun to try.

As for the challenge, I'm not doing anywhere near the numbers as most of you are, but I am keeping a better pace than I have the last few years. I'm working out of town later this week (Pasadena, CA... I hope to check out Haddonfield, IL again while out there as well) and I plan to watch at least one movie a night on most nights... I have to go out and shmooze with the owner and co-workers on some nights, but on the last trip with this group, I got through nine "Orange Is The New Black" episodes in my hotel room after my work days were done. So there is hope.

Last edited by Darth Maher; 10-13-14 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 12:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Just finished Dont Be Afraid of the Dark. Not a bad movie. I rather liked it. Also watched Open Grave which I ended up liking even though it started off rather slow.
Old 10-13-14, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, still in shock! Thank you so much everyone for the congrats. This is my 8th year participating, and my prior win was for watching 100+ in which I received Girl in Room 2A. But this, whoa, I feel like I should be banned from future contests simply because the gift couldn't be any more generous.

I love horror films and I love this community, so I was wondering if it would be possible to share some of the award to others? In the past, when I upgraded some of my favorite horror movies to blu ray, I would gift my dvd version to buddies (so long as I'm not missing any extras ) So I would be delighted to share some titles I already own with others participating in the challenge.

I'll PM you further inquiries Chad about whether we can work something out.

Back to discussing horror, just watched the original Wicker Man for the first time, and this was the one instance I can think of where
Spoiler:
the main character would have been saved if only he had sex when provided the opportunity (he wouldn't be a virgin like they required)
. About to watch the remake of Carrie next as I just finished reading the book a short time ago.
Old 10-13-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad, I sent a PM about the banner contest.

Tonight, I watched Halloween II(1981) on blu-ray. It's a pretty good and creepy film, though definitely a step down from the first film. My favorite part of the film happens to be the first 30 minutes involving
Spoiler:
the reaction to the news about the events of the first film, and the search for Myers, who is out their somewhere. I love the little peak at the response to the citizens of the community and so forth. An entire film from that angle might be pretty interesting and creepy. Since it'd basically be like if we were living somewhere where something happened and were being freaked out by the news and wondering 'what if?'.

I always thought a story about the residents of Crystal Lake during the first three Friday the 13th sequels which take place over one week would be pretty cool. Imagine living in that community while Jason still lurks out their and the body count continues, and anyone could be next, as your imagination spins. I think this aspect is mostly overlooked in slasher and horror movies in general. So it's always fascinating when we get a little glimpse of the outside world around the main cast of characters.
Old 10-13-14, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats StayPuft. I might try the banner contest this year, simply because I recognized a few of the movies off the top of my head.
Old 10-13-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats StaPuft... some awesome prizes.
Old 10-13-14, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 12 reviews have been posted including my favorite 1st time viewing of the month so far! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...14-day-12.html
Old 10-13-14, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had probably the crappiest day so far. Started out watching 15 minutes of the wrong film. So I watched Dracula 2000 (2000) instead - and it was the best film I watched today, so that probably gives you an idea of how crap it was. Without Warning (1980) was boring. The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) was boring. Zombi Holocaust (1980) was boring. The Pact (2012) was utter crap - not helped by the fact that I hate Caity Lotz with the passion of 1000 burning suns.

URGH. At least tomorrow I know have a rewatch of Demons, but goddamn am I having a slow challenge.
Old 10-13-14, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Oy. Why can't I have a challenge where I'm not fooled by a misleading Italian film title?! Apparently Demons III: The Ogre is NOT the second sequel to Demons and has no connection whatsoever to those films, despite being directed by Lamberta Bava. It's also not The Church or even Black Demons, two more titles sharing the "Demons 3" moniker. Oh, and it has no actual demons in it, that is, unless an "ogre" resembling a rotting Gene Simmons vampire in Shakespeare clothing fall into that category:
Spoiler:

Hahahahaha you nailed that description!

Last edited by therja; 10-13-14 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-13-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I watched The Church this weekend....I have to stop watching this movie. Every time I do I like it less.
Old 10-13-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I watched The Church this weekend....I have to stop watching this movie. Every time I do I like it less.
I love The Church
Old 10-13-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I watched Saturday the 14th (1981) and Bloody Parrot (1981) this weekend.

Saturday the 14th was mild but amusing fare. There's actually a sequel, Saturday the 14th Strikes Back (1988), that has nothing to do with the original (same producer and director, though). I'll have to squeeze it in. Bloody Parrot was sleazier and gorier than I remembered. And it has sword fights, too! What more can you ask for?
Old 10-13-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I love The Church
I started out loving it (the beginning and a lot of the imagery really grabs me, and the music is great). Now I just like it.

If there is an original language version (?) I'm going to watch that next time...it didn't use to bother me I guess but the dubbing was just atrocious. Lotte in particular.
Old 10-13-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Babysitter Wanted (2008) was another challenge highlight for me. It starts out really generic, which I think is intentional as a tongue in cheek subtle humor then it takes that same subtle but dark humor and goes really 'off the rails' in a serious and demented way. Babysitter Wanted on YouTube - www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPZZXwcosxk

Watched Leprechaun and find it too comedic for my taste but parts near the end and beginning blend comedy and horror really well.
Old 10-13-14, 11:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

If anyone is doing a holiday checklist for the Challenge, the better-every-time-I-watch-it Tucker and Dale vs Evil works for Memorial Day.
Old 10-13-14, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
So far the best new viewing I've had this month is Santa Sangre (1989) by Alejandro Jodorowsky. It was the first Jodorowsky movie I've seen, although I've been aware of him as a Mexican surreal film maker for some time. This movie was elegant, disturbing, and beautiful. There wasn't much dialogue, and it was often driven simply by the captivating images and haunting music. I really don't know how to describe it, and it's surely not for everybody, but I simply loved it. It wasn't really scary, but mesmerizing. There are themes of religion and guilt, the link between sexual repression and violence, and the loss of innocence, but really this film must be experienced. I might just buy the BD before the month is over, it's a film I can see myself revisiting on a regular basis.
It was a subset choice one year and we mostly loved it here iirc.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm gonna take a minor break today and start on some outdoor Halloween Deco. Anybody else doing (Or have already done) decorations this year? I've got a tiny front yard but I'm gonna make the most of it.

^The skeleton on the bottom's going out on the front porch. I'm also working on a ghettoized flying crank ghost for the front window. I've got no proper motor for it, so I'm just gonna rely on a pair of electrical fans for movement.

Halloween's on a friday night this year so I know it CAN'T be as disappointing as last year's.
We usually don't decorate much but I plan to do at least a little bit this year.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
We used to do a pretty big Halloween display since my daughter was born that day.
That's a sweet birthday! You did give her a Halloweeney name?
Looking at your photo... are you as pissed at Universal as was I for them *not* releasing a second "Legacy Collection" bust set? I was *really* expecting to get The Mummy, The Invisible Man, and The Creature from the Black Lagoon shortly after that first one came out! Those busts from that set look so good I was lusting after those next three thinking how incredible they'd all look on the mantle!
I'd love to complete the set too!
Old 10-13-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just revisited Evil Dead 2. While I find the beginning of the movie a little on the strange side when Ash is alone, it soon picks up into a pretty good movie. I enjoy the movie.
Old 10-13-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I've had probably the crappiest day so far. Started out watching 15 minutes of the wrong film. So I watched Dracula 2000 (2000) instead - and it was the best film I watched today, so that probably gives you an idea of how crap it was. Without Warning (1980) was boring. The Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973) was boring. Zombi Holocaust (1980) was boring. The Pact (2012) was utter crap - not helped by the fact that I hate Caity Lotz with the passion of 1000 burning suns.

URGH. At least tomorrow I know have a rewatch of Demons, but goddamn am I having a slow challenge.
Satanic Rites has a soft spot for me because it was my firat Hammer film. Its def. The low point of tge Dracula movies but I still like it. As for the Pact. I thoufgt it was really good, and I believe it had good reviews here from everyone who watched it. Do yourself a favor stay away from the second one.

On an unrelated note.. I had my 4th John Caradine siting today.
Old 10-13-14, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Without Warning (1980) was boring.
How do others feel about this movie? The new blu ray is part of Scream! Factory's weekly Shocktober deals (http://www.screamshocktober.com/sso/Shock2.html) and I was thinking of scooping it up until I read this.
Old 10-13-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by therja
How do others feel about this movie? The new blu ray is part of Scream! Factory's weekly Shocktober deals (http://www.screamshocktober.com/sso/Shock2.html) and I was thinking of scooping it up until I read this.
I'm going to be watching this one tonight, so I'll let you know my thoughts. The trailer freaked me out as a kid, I remember that much.
Old 10-13-14, 02:44 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Coincidentally, I watched a "Before They Were Stars" this morning: Night Tide (1961) with a very young Dennis Hopper. Hopper plays a lonely sailor under a mermaid's spell in this based-on-Poe movie available at the Internet Archive.

Also, Lair of the White Worm: took a while to spot a young Peter Capaldi. Great fun.
Old 10-13-14, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shack
Also, Lair of the White Worm: took a while to spot a young Peter Capaldi. Great fun.
Who?

I'm watching this one right now, I think inebriation would help.
Old 10-13-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
That's a sweet birthday! You did give her a Halloweeney name?
No. We didn't really think about it. She was ~6 weeks premature and born ~8pm. We'd had a name picked out for a while and it never really came up. Every year for her birthday, until she was ~16 or so, her maternal uncle gave her a orange t-shirt with a yellow "Spooky" lettered on the front and back. She couldn't wear the first one until she was ~6 months old and the words were almost larger than the shirt!
Old 10-13-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Who?

I'm watching this one right now, I think inebriation would help.
Peter Capaldi is the new Doctor on Doctor Who.
Old 10-13-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I watched Saturday the 14th (1981) and Bloody Parrot (1981) this weekend.

Saturday the 14th was mild but amusing fare. There's actually a sequel, Saturday the 14th Strikes Back (1988), that has nothing to do with the original (same producer and director, though). I'll have to squeeze it in. Bloody Parrot was sleazier and gorier than I remembered. And it has sword fights, too! What more can you ask for?
The sequel to Saturday the 14th was horrible. Skip it and watch something better, haha.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.