Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Speaking of the expanded checklist, it looks like the link for the BFI's 100 European Horror Films list is down.
I know it doesn't help for that particualr link but it is incredibly easy to find the list with a Google search, about a million sites have the list.
Old 10-09-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I loved The Loved Ones as well. Always nice to find Aussie movies that don't suck balls
It is a good movie. I also dug Wolf Creek(1st one), Bait, and I love, love Razorback.
Old 10-09-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While it's not pumpkin beer, it is still in keeping with the season. I bought a bottle of Nestles Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer today, so I can have pumpkin lattes while watching my movies.
Old 10-09-14, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Alright, I've slacked off a bit, but other than updating my own list I *think* I'm caught up:

-All the Alyxstarr links are up, which means EVERY subset film is available streaming. And a few even include commentaries, Riff Trax Live, alternate endings and both the subbed and dubbed versions for Bio-Zombie.

-The participant links up to this point are posted in the list thread first post.

-Reminder that the first trivia question is currently underway.
Had I know this 9 days ago I'd have committed to the subset picks. Balls!

Seriously, though, thank you for all your hard work on this. I'm excited for the dubbed-not-subbed Bio-Zombie on the 24th per Ben's strong recommendation.
Old 10-09-14, 11:57 AM

Anyone have a link for See No Evil? With the sequel coming out, I'm just curious enough to check out the first, but not curious enough to pay to do so.
Old 10-09-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by therja
The subset movies can be watched in any order on any day... it's not too late to check them out. Only the theme days are restricted to that particular date. Go for the gusto!
Old 10-09-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After finishing my first pumpkin spice latte, I'm now drinking another seasonal drink, a mug of mulled cider while I watch the 90s revival of Dark Shadows.
Old 10-09-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Damn ... since the American Horror Story premiere was 90 minutes, it counts as 3/4 of an entry. That's going to mess up my numbering!

Does anyone have any free streaming horror short recommendations that I could watch to bump things up to a complete entry?
Old 10-09-14, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I know some cases are difficult, but for the most part I feel like people clutch at straws (like the 'Nazis are horrific' example). I'm surprised Jaws isn't classified as a horror movie in some places because it's basically a slasher film with a shark

Although I don't believe horror's only intention is 'to scare', having scary elements or parts doesn't make a film a horror film. Like The Wizard of Oz example, I found the 1985 version of Alice in Wonderland scary as balls as a kid. If I made a list of scariest movies, it would be on it. If I made a list of best horror movies, it wouldn't.

Speaking of, has anyone made a list of films that people have actually questioned their horror status? It would be interesting to see which films are at the center of this discussion. Some other strange inclusions I've found on lists:
Drop Dead Fred (1991)
Easy Rider (1969)
The Immigrant (1917)
The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Goldfinger (1964)
Pinocchio (1940)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
The King of Comedy (1982)
Hot Fuzz (2007)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Arlington Road (1999)
Grizzly Man (2005)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Trainspotting (1996)
Requiem For a Dream (2000)
Fight Club (1999)
Westworld (1973)
That's a interesting list of non-horror titles there... I'd not put *any* of those on a list of Horror films. Still I'd like to know the reasoning behind their inclusion.

I thought we'd pretty much decided that if IMDB *or* Allmovie doesn't have a "horror" genre tag it's *not* horror.
Old 10-09-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's a interesting list of non-horror titles there... I'd not put *any* of those on a list of Horror films. Still I'd like to know the reasoning behind their inclusion.
The only one of those I could see an argument for is Westworld. The last part of the movie, with a murderous Yul Brynner android, has a strong horror vibe. The rest of them though ... come on people! You know, you are allowed to watch things besides horror in October. Just don't put them in your list (at least without using a wildcard).

Last edited by brainee; 10-09-14 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-09-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Also the American Horror Story premiere is a weird time, 1 hr and 30 mins. Can we count as a movie's worth?
Originally Posted by indiephantom
If that's the case, I'm definitely counting it feature length. I've watched two films that were shorter than that this challenge.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
^Does that time include or not include commercials?
According to the Official Rules, TV content must be 2 hours *with* commercials to count as *one* entry:
Movies = 1 entry (despite running time)

TV shows count according to length as they're aired on TV (including commercials):

30 minute shows = ¼ an entry
1 hour shows = ½ an entry
90 minute shows = ¾ an entry
2 hour shows = 1 entry

Mini-Series = 1 entry for each day it aired
One and a half hours would mean you need another half hour of content for it to count. And, yes, there are *lots* of films that come in *way* under the typical "90 minutes" left over after commercials are removed from 2 hours of TV content. Keep in mind the original intent of this challenge was to watch *movies* and TV content was added later so rules were incorporated to allow TV content, albeit with somewhat of a penalty.
Old 10-09-14, 12:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Damn ... since the American Horror Story premiere was 90 minutes, it counts as 3/4 of an entry. That's going to mess up my numbering!

Does anyone have any free streaming horror short recommendations that I could watch to bump things up to a complete entry?
There are only about a billion options. Whatcha got from Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon? Or are we talking free sites like YouTube?
Old 10-09-14, 01:06 PM

Nevermind...
Old 10-09-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
There are only about a billion options. Whatcha got from Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon? Or are we talking free sites like YouTube?
Well, the only streaming service I pay for is Netflix.
Old 10-09-14, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The subset movies can be watched in any order on any day... it's not too late to check them out. Only the theme days are restricted to that particular date. Go for the gusto!
In that case, I'm in!
Old 10-09-14, 01:32 PM

Here's a good article that can give you ideas on what to watch: http://www.popmatters.com/post/18671...catch-up-with/
Old 10-09-14, 01:33 PM

List of Halloween Television Specials: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ision_specials
Old 10-09-14, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Disc 1 of Dark Shadows: The Revival, and the show is really starting to get interesting. Too bad it only lasted 12 episodes.
Old 10-09-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Okay, I've been firm in sticking to my 2 film per night goal which has not left much time for discussion. Discussion of the subset films can be found in their respective threads.

For Desert Island Night I watched Lucio Fulci's Zombie. It was the second time I've seen it, and I really enjoyed it, even more than the first time. There are plenty of beautiful shots on the island, and some brutal gore effects.. The eye ball scene is one of the most disturbing scenes I've seen in a movie. Not just the gruesome nature of it, but the slow buildup to it, it really made me squirm. Also you have to love a movie that has a zombie fight a shark, just brilliant. Dawn of the Dead is one of my favorites, but I definitely feel like this film doesn't get enough love.

For the 1964/1989 night I watched Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan. These movies are a big guilty pleasure of mine, none of them are very good, but they are just a lot of fun to watch. Part 8 is probably the worst of the original 8 films, but I can't help but get sucked into the 80s cheese of it. While watching it this time, I noticed how strict the MPAA was when it came to violence during this period. Most of the kills were off screen, and there was very little blood. Look at the clip I posted a few posts above, the cop just gets dragged into an alley, Jason couldn't bring himself to kill him in front of the others. We're even deprived of seeing the token bitch character, Tamara, get killed. Kind of disappointing for a series like this. The same issue plagues part 6 and 7, but those movies are a better, so they get more leeway, especially 6. Another thing that irked me is that the crew really went too far with the teleporting Jason cliche. It's okay to use once in a while, but in almost every kill a victim sees Jason in one spot, runs away, but he's right there waiting for them. The worst offender is when he corners Eva in the dance room. Jason is clearly in the room with her, but she's looking around and can't find him. When she spots him, she turns around and he's right there as if there are multiple Jasons in the room. It's just kind of a lazy way for a scare, and kills the suspense when Jason can magically appear where he needs to get a kill.
Old 10-09-14, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm glad I procrastinated on getting the Canadian SE DVD for Ginger Snaps because the transfer on the recent Blu-ray is superb and a very nice upgrade to the barebones release I've had for years. I'm looking forward to digging into the supplements once this challenge is over.
Old 10-09-14, 02:40 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I know some cases are difficult, but for the most part I feel like people clutch at straws (like the 'Nazis are horrific' example). I'm surprised Jaws isn't classified as a horror movie in some places because it's basically a slasher film with a shark
But then, some slasher films are "just" murder mysteries...!

Although I don't believe horror's only intention is 'to scare', having scary elements or parts doesn't make a film a horror film. Like The Wizard of Oz example, I found the 1985 version of Alice in Wonderland scary as balls as a kid. If I made a list of scariest movies, it would be on it. If I made a list of best horror movies, it wouldn't.

Speaking of, has anyone made a list of films that people have actually questioned their horror status? It would be interesting to see which films are at the center of this discussion.
Do you mean not-horror that may be seen to be horror (as in the list you compiled), or commonly-called-horror that doesn't really seem to be as horror-y as all that (e.g. some Universal films, the first Friday the 13th, Peeping Tom, Godzilla and Alien)..?

Some other strange inclusions I've found on lists:
Drop Dead Fred (1991)
Easy Rider (1969)
The Immigrant (1917)
The Birth of a Nation (1915)
Goldfinger (1964)
Pinocchio (1940)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
The King of Comedy (1982)
Hot Fuzz (2007)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Arlington Road (1999)
Grizzly Man (2005)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
Trainspotting (1996)
Requiem For a Dream (2000)
Fight Club (1999)
Westworld (1973)
Brilliant!

I could see Westworld and 2001 sneaking in as 'Monster Movies' (horror by the back door) via android-as-"monster"; Cuckoo's and Fight Club for mental illness/hallucinations/craziness, Immigrant and Birth... are clearly "racism is 'evil' and horrific"; Pinocchio is exceptionally creepy (with magic, transformations and Evil), while Temple of Doom and Dragon Tattoo have some very nasty moments (and 'Evil characters') included in their adventure-y plots. Drop Dead Fred Rik Mayall's an imaginary friend rather than a ghost* isn't he...? The rest baffle me - Easy Rider and Goldfinger?! That's contorting...

*Does Randall and Hopkirk (deceased) sneak in as technically-"horror" by the 'ghost' backdoor, I wonder...?
Old 10-09-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just checked and the American Horror Story episode is only an hour. I'll be saving those for after the October challenge. Too many films to watch instead.
Old 10-09-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
It is a good movie. I also dug Wolf Creek(1st one), Bait, and I love, love Razorback.
I love Wolf Creek as well, so I will now add Bait and Razorback to my queue.
Old 10-09-14, 02:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Here's a good article that can give you ideas on what to watch: http://www.popmatters.com/post/18671...catch-up-with/
Found a few on Netflix, thanks for adding to my impossible-to-complete this decade pile.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
While it's not pumpkin beer, it is still in keeping with the season. I bought a bottle of Nestles Pumpkin Spice Coffee Creamer today, so I can have pumpkin lattes while watching my movies.
I've been snacking on this:
Old 10-09-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just finished His Name Was Jason. Not a bad doc, and was interested to see they talked a little bit about the non movie F13 stuff like Universal Studios attractions. Almost makes me want to see the remake, if anyone can tell me if it is any good?
I went into it with no preconceived notions and it's actually pretty fun. Helluva lot better than the NOES remake; that's for sure.

Speaking of things for next year, and I know this is the wrong thread, but how about Bats, Cats, and Rats for a theme?
Added to my 'include in the planning thread' notepad. Definitely beats my Killer Clowns vs Bigfoot idea.

And the checklist is a little unbalanced in that things like actors is watch 10 out of 40, or other easily attainable ratios; but then the main subgenre/type section is a much more difficult watch 30 out of 40. Perhaps add some things back into that section like animated and remake to make it a bit less 'watch all of this'?
Why is this info always brought to my attention after the challenge begins? But duly noted for next year's.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Speaking of the expanded checklist, it looks like the link for the BFI's 100 European Horror Films list is down.
Link's been updated.

Seriously, though, thank you for all your hard work on this. I'm excited for the dubbed-not-subbed Bio-Zombie on the 24th per Ben's strong recommendation.
Thank Alyxstarr for the links as she's the one hosting them. I just post 'em.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.