Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Yup. The Beatles got A Hard Day's Night/Help, Pink Floyd got The Wall, The Ramones got Rock 'n' Roll High School, Spice Girls got Spice World, Herman's Hermits got Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter, The Monkees got Head, Frank Zappa got 200 Motels, The Who got Tommy, The BeeGees got Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Guitar Wolf got Wild Zero.

How many did I miss? And no I'm not counting Magical Mystery Tour (and the Rutles/Spinal Tap aren't really real).
I'm assuming we're omitting concert films and just counting films that highlight one band's/ performer's music on the soundtrack. Bob Dylan got I'm Not There, Talking Heads had True Stories (which seriously needs a Blu upgrade), and Prince had several films, most notably Purple Rain. The Who also had Quadrophenia, which is a Criterion must-own.

I watched Reeker as a FTV--boy howdy, was that terrible. It introduced plot threads that went nowhere, had a lot of bad acting, and had a cliched ending that ruined the film. Some films can be both comedy and horror and succeed brilliantly like Reanimator and An American Werewolf in London, but this film's attempts at humor just failed.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
+1

I enjoyed the Crystal Lake Memories commentary now I am thinking about listening to the Never Sleep Again one. Anyone recommend?
If you have 4 hours to spend (you won't be able to turn it off, it's that good), then go for it. As a fan of the Elm Street series, I found it fascinating to hear the-behind-the-scenes stories of how these films were made and what the actors are doing now.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-03-14 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 08:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I had the misfortune of watching the Nightmare on Elm Street remake today. It was horrible
I know how you're feeling. I went to see it in theaters and it was a major waste of time and money. The only word I can use to describe it is awful.
Old 10-03-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Watched Final Terror last night.

Meh. Just meh.
Old 10-03-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Good news everyone. Laptop is up and running again. I had a corrupted keyboard driver which rendered my keyboard useless. Updating to Win 8.1 solved the problem. I had given up hope and was just grasping at straws wen the windows popup saying upgrade to 8.1 showed up on my screen last night. I thought, why not? Tried everything else, and lo and behold, my computer was working again.
Old 10-03-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
+1

I enjoyed the Crystal Lake Memories commentary now I am thinking about listening to the Never Sleep Again one. Anyone recommend?
Definitely. I think NSA is much better than CLM so you'll definitely enjoy it!
Old 10-03-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I'll second a recommendation for Wild Zero - words cannot describe how awesome it is. At first I shrugged it off as some vaniety project from a Japenese rock band... but that was a mistake, it is really insanely good.
Okay. Ya'll convinced me. Added it to my Netflix queue.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Definitely. I think NSA is much better than CLM so you'll definitely enjoy it!
Totally agree though CLM is still really good.

I was mildly disappointed in Curtains last night. While it is a decent slasher, I think I went in expecting too much and didn't feel like it lives up to its reputation.

I commented in its dedicated thread but damn, The Carrier is just so batshit crazy it is almost genius. I also watched The Last Exorcism Part II last night. It's about the same as the first one. Just kind of eh. Lots of jump scares that get old really quickly. Not much of a story.

I am really enjoying people posting what they are watching in the main thread with their thoughts. It gives me lots of suggestions I may have not heard of (and many to maybe stay away from). I don't have the time to always go thru everyone's list like I would like to until the end of the challenge.
Old 10-03-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rewatched 1999's THE HAUNTING. Still garbage.
Old 10-03-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I was mildly disappointed in Curtains last night. While it is a decent slasher, I think I went in expecting too much and didn't feel like it lives up to its reputation.
I thought the same of Curtains; it's a fair mystery/slasher movie with a cool masked killer and some nice set design but hardly the end all epic slasher masterpiece the hype made it out to be.
Old 10-03-14, 10:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The only thing I found amusing/entertaining about the film was:

Spoiler:
Mickey masturbating to that Zombie's tits.
That was something I had not seen in a zombie movie!
Old 10-03-14, 10:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Okay. Ya'll convinced me. Added it to my Netflix queue.
Yep, I'm convinced too. Is Wild Zero streaming? Icanstreamit said disc only. I did find what looks to be a complete version in six parts on YouTube.
I commented in its dedicated thread but damn, The Carrier is just so batshit crazy it is almost genius.
Yeah, super crazy, and I can't really explain why; but I think it's the best movie of the month so far for me.
I am really enjoying people posting what they are watching in the main thread with their thoughts. It gives me lots of suggestions I may have not heard of (and many to maybe stay away from). I don't have the time to always go thru everyone's list like I would like to until the end of the challenge.
Amen. I wish this month had 48 hours a day as I could spend hours a day just reading the lists and various threads here. And I haven't even started formatting my list yet.
Old 10-03-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor

Amen. I wish this month had 48 hours a day as I could spend hours a day just reading the lists and various threads here. And I haven't even started formatting my list yet.
If I think a movie is worth posting about, or a show, I usually try to post what I just watched myself.
Old 10-03-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Last night I was browsing one of my Horror playlists on Youtube, and picked out Horrors of Spider Island. As public domain b&w horror movies go, it's not bad, but maybe that is my affinity for old b&w movies talking.
Old 10-03-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I watched Reeker as a FTV--boy howdy, was that terrible. It introduced plot threads that went nowhere, had a lot of bad acting, and had a cliched ending that ruined the film. Some films can be both comedy and horror and succeed brilliantly like Reanimator and An American Werewolf in London, but this film's attempts at humor just failed.
Uh oh. I've got that one lined up for my Michael Ironside check. Speaking of which, another participant had a bad experience with Mutants which was also being used as a Michael Ironside check. Am I just gonna have to whip out Scanners soon?
Old 10-03-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Uh oh. I've got that one lined up for my Michael Ironside check. Speaking of which, another participant had a bad experience with Mutants which was also being used as a Michael Ironside check. Am I just gonna have to whip out Scanners soon?
If you haven't seen it already, watch Visiting Hours instead!
Old 10-03-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

On Wednesday, October 8, for about an hour there will be a rare "blood moon" visible in the night sky:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_t2

...someone mentioned that day would be a full moon but this seems way cooler.
Old 10-03-14, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
On Wednesday, October 8, for about an hour there will be a rare "blood moon" visible in the night sky:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/03/tech/i...html?hpt=hp_t2

...someone mentioned that day would be a full moon but this seems way cooler.
Sweet. I own at least two horror films with that (alternate) title, might as well watch them that day.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265752/reference

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200469/reference
Old 10-03-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Watching Nightbreed on my iPad at jury duty. Was going to watch The Horror Show but I must have made a mistake when I ripped it as there is no audio. Doh!!
Old 10-03-14, 12:14 PM

Bingo!

The checklist can be such an addiction for me. In most other Challenges and even some years in this one, I just totally ignore it. But sometimes it just consumes me and I can't watch or do anything else until I complete it. But now that it's done, I can relax and watch things more for enjoyment. Not saying that I haven't enjoyed the last 72 hours of almost no sleep and a pissed off wife, but I'm glad it's over.
Old 10-03-14, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

October 1. Annabelle
October 2. 4 Episodes of Scooby- Doo Mystery Incorporated and Paranorman
October 3. Magic Puppy (Kiddie Halloween flick with Eric Roberts),and Ghost Cat with Ellen Page and Michael Ontkean

Last edited by optimisticspark; 10-04-14 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by lrend
I watched Frankenstein's Castle of Freaks tonight and for a movie from the 70's it was actually pretty good. I watched with Elvira's commentary, which I might not do for the next film I'm watching.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'll bite... what do you mean by "for a movie from the 70s it was actually pretty good"...
Originally Posted by lrend
Usually movies from the 70's or before don't hold my attention or I get bored with them easily. So finding one that I actually find interesting doesn't happen very often. I'm so used to newer movies that sometimes the older ones are hard to watch. I have a few on my watch list this year though so I'm excited to broaden my horizons.
Full disclosure: I work with lrend so...

I'm the source of the film that was viewed (and a dozen or so others for this year) and try my best to get older material in lrend's hands but it's not always successful. lrend is also the person who loaned me the Rob Zombie movies. To say our tastes in horror are almost polar opposites is, on occasion, a understatement. Many of the older (pre 80s or so) horror films I've loaned have been returned with a "It was kind of boring" type review so this is high praise indeed!
Old 10-03-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Good news everyone. Laptop is up and running again. I had a corrupted keyboard driver which rendered my keyboard useless. Updating to Win 8.1 solved the problem. I had given up hope and was just grasping at straws wen the windows popup saying upgrade to 8.1 showed up on my screen last night. I thought, why not? Tried everything else, and lo and behold, my computer was working again.
Haven't you had hardware issues just about *every* Horror Challenge?
Old 10-03-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Getting a late start to the day with:

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-03-14 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Dang, I am on the IMDB page for this movie and it has 3 running times listed:
Runtime: 108 min (Final Cut) | 115 min (Workprint Version) | 103 min (director's cut)

So I decide to check which version I have: 86mins WTF
Old 10-03-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I, again, went in a more "classic" direction last night and watched King of the Zombies (1941) and La noche del terror ciego (aka Tombs of the Blind Dead) (1972).

King of the Zombies was a 2nd viewing. I first saw this one a couple of years ago via one of the Mill Creek 50 film sets. This time was the ROAN remaster on a twin bill with Revolt of the Zombies (1936) (which I've not yet viewed and is on that same MC 50 film set). In spite of the low budget King... is a really fun film. It co-stars one of my all-time favorite character actors, Mantan Moreland, who never fails to get a laugh from me. It's also a "Island" film so if you are looking for something for Saturday (comedy), Sunday (Island), or the 24th (Zombie) I give it a thumbs up for viewing (that is if you like older horror/comedy films).

A first time viewing was La noche del terror ciego (aka Tombs of the Blind Dead), another "Zombie" film (hmmm I unwittingly did my own mini-theme night it seems). It's a pretty interesting film with some pretty good zombie effects. Those Zombie Templars really look cool and there are some good set pieces. I actually watched both the original, unedited, Spanish version and followed it with the US dubbed version. There was quite a lot edited out of the US version, almost enough to make it viable on TV, although parts are still a bit gruesome. I enjoyed this one so much I'm looking at purchasing the sequels as they've received mostly good reviews.

The English version has as a special feature an alternate opening sequence for when the film played as Revenge of the Planet Ape! It was quite interesting to watch and see how they attempted to capitalize on the POTA series with a very lame tie-in open.

Question: Do the separate versions count as separate films? Normally I don't watch the US/dubbed versions of films if the original language version is available so I've never really given it much thought. This one had several segments missing (roughly 15 minutes cut) and is essentially the same film, just edited down and dubbed. No biggie... just curious...
Old 10-03-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Day 2 reviews are up! http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...014-day-2.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.