Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-01-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I started with Rob Zombie's Halloween. It was pretty much what I was expecting and generally not my kind of film - but at least it's off my plate! I promised I'd watch Halloween II so maybe tonight, if not The Devil's Rejects, but I get home a bit late on Wednesdays and don't know if I want to subject myself to another round of mindless violence so soon... I'll probably go with one from the unopened piles I've been wanting to watch but held for the challenge.

I decided to follow the Zombie film with The Terror because it's a old favorite and I needed some old fashioned gothic horror to cleanse the eyeballs - or rather I *tried* to follow it... It wouldn't play and kept skipping so I pulled it out of the player and took a look at the play side. It looks like the surface of the moon! Full of pock marks *below* the surface. Sigh... it's a couple of years old and just now opened so there's no chance of a return - I may check with the manufacturer to see if they'll replace it - at least there's a BR copy in the box so I have that to fall back on but don't yet own a BR player (haven't had a need so far). It was late and that pretty much killed my enthusiasm so rather than look for another suitable title I just plugged in S3 of Newhart.
Old 10-01-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I started with Rob Zombie's Halloween. It was pretty much what I was expecting and generally not my kind of film - but at least it's off my plate! I promised I'd watch Halloween II so maybe tonight, if not The Devil's Rejects, but I get home a bit late on Wednesdays and don't know if I want to subject myself to another round of mindless violence so soon... I'll probably go with one from the unopened piles I've been wanting to watch but held for the challenge.
I have a soft spot for these. I don't think they are nearly as bad as most people make them out to be (I actually think they are perfectly good horror movies) and I actually like the 2nd better than the first. And as Golden Doushini intimates, the second doesn't have a lot of fans, even from people who did like the first one!

Both have overdone Zombie violence bits that I feel are excessive just for the sake of it. But I do like some of the things they did in #2.
Old 10-01-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I remember being thrown off by the first 15-20 minutes of part II and that sort of stuck around the rest of the film. It might be better on a second watch. I have that new set, so I'll get to it at some point.
Not wanting to spoil it for anyone, I can only say, I totally get that. I was very "WTF?" at the end of the beginning, lets call it.
Old 10-01-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Good luck with that film if you didn't like the first.
Thanks! I think I'll need it!

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I have a soft spot for these. I don't think they are nearly as bad as most people make them out to be (I actually think they are perfectly good horror movies) and I actually like the 2nd better than the first. And as Golden Doushini intimates, the second doesn't have a lot of fans, even from people who did like the first one!

Both have overdone Zombie violence bits that I feel are excessive just for the sake of it. But I do like some of the things they did in #2.
I think that sums it up for me. The violence is just over the top and unrelenting. I got to the point where if I saw Michael I expected someone to be killed. It felt like that happened every 5 minutes or so the entire film. I rated it a 6 (out of 10) on my list in spite of not caring for it as I felt it told a fairly good story (of that type) and was crafted well. A lot of my general dislike of the film comes from me not much caring for "slasher" or overly violent films when that violence is of the people against people variety.
Old 10-01-14, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished Orozco the Embalmer and holy cow was this brutal. It's exactly what you think it is and it's very hard to watch. I can stomach any horror film but I almost threw up watching this documentary.
Old 10-01-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm off to a pretty good start so far. Blood Night/Bloody Mary/Legend of Hatchet....Whatver it's called (The one w/ Danielle Harris & Bill Mosely) That one already set the bar high with the gore and bewbs!
Watched Dreamcatcher for the first time earlier. And while that movie was all over the place, I still ended up liking it.

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Started with THE NESTING from 1981. Was hoping for a lost gem. It is not a lost gem.
Loved your vid for it!
Old 10-01-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
I just finished Orozco the Embalmer and holy cow was this brutal. It's exactly what you think it is and it's very hard to watch. I can stomach any horror film but I almost threw up watching this documentary.
I watched it for the first time earlier this year and thought it really missed an opportunity to be a hard hitting and important documentary. Instead it is mainly just hard to watch because of content and doesn't really do a good job of delivering a powerful message in my opinion.
Old 10-01-14, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I watched it for the first time earlier this year and thought it really missed an opportunity to be a hard hitting and important documentary. Instead it is mainly just hard to watch because of content and doesn't really do a good job of delivering a powerful message in my opinion.
Your'e right. It's not a very well put together doc.
Old 10-01-14, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TerryW
Your'e right. It's not a very well put together doc.
Still, it has some ridiculously powerful images in it. That is one film that will stick with me forever.
Old 10-01-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I think that sums it up for me. The violence is just over the top and unrelenting. I got to the point where if I saw Michael I expected someone to be killed. It felt like that happened every 5 minutes or so the entire film. I rated it a 6 (out of 10) on my list in spite of not caring for it as I felt it told a fairly good story (of that type) and was crafted well. A lot of my general dislike of the film comes from me not much caring for "slasher" or overly violent films when that violence is of the people against people variety.
Yeah Bob, restraint and Rob Zombie don't seem to mix. I like them and may try to re-watch them this month--but if I am hankering for a remake I may just go with the F13 remake. That's good stupid slasher fun with a much lighter tone.
Old 10-01-14, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only managed to get in 1 film yesterday - I had two shifts at work and the first one was long, so I didn't even have enough time between shifts to finish the whole film, had to watch the last 10 minutes when I got home last night - and was supposed to be working today, but when I arrived at the job we discovered it had been cancelled, but we still get paid 3 hours pay for showing up. I was supposed to have 2 jobs on today actually, but the later one got cancelled a few days ago so now I have A FULL DAY OF HORROR YAY

The film I watched yesterday was Zombie Ass, but I thought it was really stupid. Hopefully I'm going to watch one good film this challenge

Oh and I'm taking DaveyJoe's advice on writing down times of interesting scenes for an 'end of month video'. Got a little carried away yesterday whilst eating a chocolate muffin and it looks like I've used it as toilet paper:

Old 10-01-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I decided to get in on the fun this year. My schedule has been busy the last few years, but I really missed participating in this challenge. If I can get 31 films in, I'll be good

Still, it has some ridiculously powerful images in it. That is one film that will stick with me forever.
Have you seen Tsurisaki Kiyotaka's Junk Films? Both his documentaries and photography are definitely more intended for (pure) shock value.
Old 10-01-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I decided to get in on the fun this year. My schedule has been busy the last few years, but I really missed participating in this challenge. If I can get 31 films in, I'll be good

Have you seen Tsurisaki Kiyotaka's Junk Films? Both his documentaries and photography are definitely more intended for (pure) shock value.
I haven't. I've heard quite a bit about it though
Old 10-01-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts

Cabin Fever: Patient Zero is horrible. Some decent gore but but the damn story is boring as hell. I kept wondering what Sean Astin was thinking the entire time. And I was one of the few that seemed to enjoy Cabin Fever 2.

This one is a waste.
Old 10-01-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have MLB.TV on Roku, so I can watch horror movies first, and if I miss the game just tune into the archived playoff game.
I couldn't do that as my phone would blow up from my Dodger fan friends. So have to watch it live. Luckily on my way to work and at lunch, streamed the movie of the day. Kind of so-so, but hoping the other movies that have been nominated are much better.
Old 10-01-14, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels

I would say House of 1000 Corpses is the more fun out of all his live action horror films as there's good comedy gold. People say Devil's Rejects is his best film. I would say, regarding Halloween 2, the theater release is garbage (and this is coming from a Zombie fan) but I did like the director's cut version of the film.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero is horrible. Some decent gore but but the damn story is boring as hell. I kept wondering what Sean Astin was thinking the entire time. And I was one of the few that seemed to enjoy Cabin Fever 2.

This one is a waste.
That's a damn shame to hear. Almost bought it at Walmart and now glad I didn't. Was really hoping this would be good too.
Old 10-01-14, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Days of the Animals sure is a unique horror film, it's nice to see something so different. The moody lingering camera shots really do keep suspense.
Cabin Fever: Patient Zero is horrible... I was one of the few that seemed to enjoy Cabin Fever 2.
I enjoyed Cabin Fever 2 too, more than the first one, so was hoping for a decent prequel (also glad I didn't blind buy it).
Old 10-01-14, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one is a waste.
Yep, I like Cabin Fever 2 as well, but this one just had no sense of humour and no 'reason' for anything. Zero was literally a 'pointless gorefest'.
Old 10-01-14, 08:20 PM

I'm a bit confused. How will I be able to access The Carrier?
Old 10-01-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiniest
Here.

For anyone looking for a movie to watch for the 10/17 theme night, We Are What We Are was surprisingly good. It has a slow buildup because it takes time to develop the characters and to heighten suspense, but it has a wicked payoff at the end.

I also recommend Byzantium, a vampire film from Neil Jordan. Again, this is more character-driven, so there isn't much in the way of gore, but I found it to be more of a thoughtful study of the costs of having to survive on the streets for centuries. The protagonists are a mother and daughter pair of vampires who have had to live in society's gutter for 200 years. I don't want to say too much because you should go in unspoiled, but it has some startling visuals and a great script wth terrific direction and acting. It does play around with the vampire lore; these vampires can walk in daylight, but they have to be asked to come in to a house, and they kill their victims with elongated thumnails instead of the traditional fangs.

This would work for the sexy horror and bad parents theme nights as well as the retail establishment theme night if hotels are included.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-01-14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-01-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiniest
If you look in the subset thread in the DVD Discussion subforum there is a link in the original post - nearly all the subset films are available streaming somewhere.
Old 10-01-14, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
Thank you so much!
Old 10-01-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Tonights Beers:

Old 10-01-14, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I haven't. I've heard quite a bit about it though
It's pretty much alongside the same lines as Shockumentaries like Shocking Asia (1976) with a bit more abstraction in delivery.

Count me as another person who enjoyed Cabin Fever 2. The film is one big goop-fest. Part of me wonders what Ti West's original vision was for the film.
Old 10-01-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Today's movie was Carry On Screaming (1966). It has the advantage of still being early-ish in the Carry On series and takes the horror seriously (laughs with rather than at), Hammer-lite if you would. Borrows a chunk from House of Wax (1953) and tidbits from other movies. Would call the cinematography Hammer-lite also, to the film's advantage.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.