Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Old 10-03-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Haven't you had hardware issues just about *every* Horror Challenge?
I have bad luck, so sue me.
Old 10-03-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

I never got an answer on this so I will ask again, would Saturn 3 be considered horror? I haven't seen the movie in ages and just remember it scaring me as a kid. It reads like horror but wanted an expert opinion just in case.
Old 10-03-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
That was something I had not seen in a zombie movie!
Me neither! Probably why it stuck out in my head. If the rest of the film was as thought out as that single gag, I would have liked it more. Everything else felt like I had seen it before, but not executed as well. I'm still not sure why that film got so much praise.

It's almost like if you make a Horror film not quite look like a Horror film, it automatically gets attention/praise nowadays. The Battery (2012) felt like two people wandering and sitting around for 101 minutes.

Finished watching The Mummy (1932). Always a treat!
Old 10-03-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Dang, I am on the IMDB page for this movie and it has 3 running times listed:
Runtime: 108 min (Final Cut) | 115 min (Workprint Version) | 103 min (director's cut)

So I decide to check which version I have: 86mins WTF
86 minutes suggests the Miramax cut, is the disc widescreen or pan and scan?
Old 10-03-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,010 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, super crazy, and I can't really explain why; but I think it's the best movie of the month so far for me.
It reminded me of watching Blood Diner for the first time last year. Just a movie so wacky that it is hard to hate it.
Old 10-03-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting a late start to the day with:
I had no idea that Echo Bridge re-released this film. I still have my 5-Disc Edition from Subversive Cinema. I absolutely love that film & Richard Stanley.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
The Amazon listing for the disc has it as P&S
Old 10-03-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
It reminded me of watching Blood Diner for the first time last year. Just a movie so wacky that it is hard to hate it.
I had absolutely no trouble at all hating BLOOD DINER.

And in regards to SATURN 3, I don't see the horror angle. It's somewhat of a thriller, but there's nothing particularly horrifying about it (except for Kirk Douglas's bare ass). It's not that dissimilar to THE TERMINATOR in that respect.
Old 10-03-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have bad luck, so sue me.
Perhaps, considering the frequency of failures, you are buying the wrong equipment

I never got an answer on this so I will ask again, would Saturn 3 be considered horror? I haven't seen the movie in ages and just remember it scaring me as a kid. It reads like horror but wanted an expert opinion just in case.
It has been awhile since I saw it but as I recall it was essentially 'what if HAL was a robot and fell in love with one of the crew'. There are horror elements for sure but it might end up being a wildcard title. (Again it has been awhile). I would defer to your post viewing judgement.
Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Pan & Scan
Originally Posted by asianxcore
I had no idea that Echo Bridge re-released this film. I still have my 5-Disc Edition from Subversive Cinema. I absolutely love that film & Richard Stanley.
Yeah I left that on my wish list for too long and it went out of print and skyrocketed in price and then I noticed this version in the $4 range.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-03-14 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-03-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'm sorry but The Island is hardly as bad as the reviews were from when it came out. The only problem is that it was apparently billed as a summer blockbuster, which it clearly isn't, and that's why it was received so poorly.
If it involved Peter Benchley and water, it automatically received an unfair comparison to the success of Jaws. The same thing happened with The Deep.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Good news everyone. Laptop is up and running again. I had a corrupted keyboard driver which rendered my keyboard useless. Updating to Win 8.1 solved the problem. I had given up hope and was just grasping at straws wen the windows popup saying upgrade to 8.1 showed up on my screen last night. I thought, why not? Tried everything else, and lo and behold, my computer was working again.
http://www.cyberexorcism.com/

Bingo!

The checklist can be such an addiction for me. In most other Challenges and even some years in this one, I just totally ignore it. But sometimes it just consumes me and I can't watch or do anything else until I complete it. But now that it's done, I can relax and watch things more for enjoyment. Not saying that I haven't enjoyed the last 72 hours of almost no sleep and a pissed off wife, but I'm glad it's over.
New record set?
Old 10-03-14, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

Last night I watched Wolf Creek for the Summer theme. Boy, this one was heavy, I think it fills my quota for grim, brutal film this year. Last year I watched The Girl Next Door which I'm still recovering from. Wolf Creek was very well done, and the movie hinged entirely on the performance of John Jarratt as the seemingly friendly villain. He is instantly likable yet there is a darkness lurking underneath that comes to the surface at just the right moments. The film featured some beautiful shots of Australian landscapes and there was consistent tension as the leads tried to escape the sadistic Aussie.

I then watched the subset pick The Carrier which I will discuss in its thread.

I have to work late tonight but when I get home I'm planning on watched A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 for the subset pick, and then The Changeling if I'm not too tired. Really enjoying the Challenge so far.
Old 10-03-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Pan & Scan

Yeah I left that on my wish list for too long and it went out of print and skyrocketed in price and then I noticed this version in the $4 range.
Yup, you've got the Miramax version (86 minutes/p&s); the worst possible edition. Definite Darkest Timeline material. Better than nothing at all I guess.
Old 10-03-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For anyone who is curious, The ABCs of Death 2 (2014) is out via iTunes & On Demand! Hits theaters on the 31st.

http://www.magnetreleasing.com/theabcsofdeath2/
Old 10-03-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

If anyone is looking for a good movie for today's theme, check out Dead Within, best described as Repulsion meets the zombie apocalypse. It's streaming on Netflix. The setup: a couple is surviving in a remote cabin several months into the ZA. The husband has to scour wider areas to find supplies, leaving the wife alone for extended periods. Her mind begins to fragment as her emotional trauma and memories overwhelm her fragile psyche.

Despite its setting, this is not a zombie flick, but more of a psychological horror film as the female protagonist loses her grip on reality. I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Old 10-03-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Rewatched 1999's THE HAUNTING. Still garbage.
Well, at least you got a nice review video at of it! I've not seen it, but it looks absolutely atrocious! I'm a big fan of the Shirley Jackson novel and the adaptation with Julie Christie.

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD: Last night, I watched The Ghost, an Italian flick that was dubbed very poorly into English. Despite this and the very bad video quality (watched it on AmazonPrime), I enjoyed it and was freaked out.
Spoiler:
Especially the scene where Barbara Steele's characters attacks her lover with a straight razor. I wasn't prepared for it and jumped off the couch with my hands over my face. She's slashing madly with her trademarked frenzied face, and bright red blood is flying about. I'm sure the scene looked hokey to some, but it completely unnerved me.
Old 10-03-14, 04:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by optimisticspark
October 1. Annabelle
October 2. 4 Episodes of Scooby- Doo Mystery Incorporated and Paranorman
October 3. Magic Puppy (Kiddie Halloween flick with Eric Roberts)
Another welcome optimisticspark. Looks like you posted this to the wrong thread. Discussion in this thread, one list post per person in the separate list thread.
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I've watched the original version and the final cut and I hated both.
I can't recall how I felt about Dust Devil. I remember owning that 5 disc set for almost a decade it seems until finally opening it one recent October. I'll have to search my old lists to see if I wrote anything about it.
Question: Do the separate versions count as separate films? Normally I don't watch the US/dubbed versions of films if the original language version is available so I've never really given it much thought. This one had several segments missing (roughly 15 minutes cut) and is essentially the same film, just edited down and dubbed. No biggie... just curious...
I think the ruling was that the two cuts had to have significant chunks unique to each in order to count as two.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
I'm glad you post these Seth. I don't always make time to read all 31, but I enjoy the ones I do read.
Old 10-03-14, 04:29 PM

It has the thriller genre tag, and I also recall it being scary, so I think you should be ok with it. Throw a Wildcard on it if you end up deciding it's not horror.
Originally Posted by rbrown498
I had absolutely no trouble at all hating BLOOD DINER.
Iirc, I hated it too. Another thing to check my old list/comments about.
Originally Posted by Chad
New record set?
For me at least, my I think we had a year or two where at least one person did it in about two days.

It's easier now that you've gone to the "x of y" technique. Thank you!
Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Last night I watched Wolf Creek for the Summer theme. Boy, this one was heavy, I think it fills my quota for grim, brutal film this year. Last year I watched The Girl Next Door which I'm still recovering from. Wolf Creek was very well done, and the movie hinged entirely on the performance of John Jarratt as the seemingly friendly villain. He is instantly likable yet there is a darkness lurking underneath that comes to the surface at just the right moments. The film featured some beautiful shots of Australian landscapes and there was consistent tension as the leads tried to escape the sadistic Aussie.
Yeah, those are two of the most depressing films I've ever watched for this Challenge. I totally agree with your Wolf Creek comments there. Very well done, and great performance. But I'm not sure if I'll ever subject myself to watching it again. It made my soul cry.
Old 10-03-14, 04:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Escape From Tomorrow was disappointing, in that I have no idea what I just watched. Half hour of perv dad followed by an hour of WTF is going on now? I had my hopes way too high for this one.
Old 10-03-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

I think the ruling was that the two cuts had to have significant chunks unique to each in order to count as two.
That pretty much jives with how I look at it as well. It *was* really odd how it almost felt like two different films, though. I think the missing scenes coupled with the English dub did that as quite a bit of dialog was different. All in all I don't think that one would truly quailfy that way.

And... you need to fix the link to your Horror Challenge list in your signature. I clicked it to easily see what you'd watched to complete the checklist so quickly only to find it currently goes to last years list!
Old 10-03-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On top of my brief reviews from yesterday's viewing I watched Annabelle today and wrote a full review on it if anyone is considering seeing it this weekend and wants some thoughts on it - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...elle-2014.html
Old 10-03-14, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
On top of my brief reviews from yesterday's viewing I watched Annabelle today and wrote a full review on it if anyone is considering seeing it this weekend and wants some thoughts on it - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...elle-2014.html
Thanks. I just bought The Conjuring blu last night in anticipation of viewing this.
And... you need to fix the link to your Horror Challenge list in your signature. I clicked it to easily see what you'd watched to complete the checklist so quickly only to find it currently goes to last years list!
Doh! Thanks; fixed.
Originally Posted by Chad
If it involved Peter Benchley and water, it automatically received an unfair comparison to the success of Jaws. The same thing happened with The Deep.
True. I still need to check out Benchley's later adaptations; but with Jaws being my favorite film it'll be difficult to treat them fairly.
Finished watching The Mummy (1932). Always a treat!
Good call. I think I still need to break open my Classic Monsters blu set.
Old 10-03-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm loving Theme Nights! Tonight Intruders (Dreams/Hallucinations/Drug Trips) and tomorrow The ABCs of Death 2 (Comedy Horror). Actually hope to finally get more than one film in tomorrow night, but with two jobs and a pretty full week, I'm just happy to have managed one per day. Things will explode when I get a few days off soon.
Old 10-03-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Escape From Tomorrow was disappointing, in that I have no idea what I just watched. Half hour of perv dad followed by an hour of WTF is going on now? I had my hopes way too high for this one.
I really dug this one. It's a nice trippy choice, but I can understand anyone not liking it.
Old 10-03-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you post these Seth. I don't always make time to read all 31, but I enjoy the ones I do read.
I appreciate you checking out whatever you can, Trevor!
Old 10-03-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ABCs of Death 2 (2014) wasn't too shabby.

There are a lot of bad to mediocre shorts again in this entry, but the high points are worth the wait.

None hit quite as hard as Timo Tjahjanto's "L is for Libido" from the first film, but there are a few that come close (Chris Nash's "Z is for Zygote" is awesome).
Old 10-03-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ABCs of Death 2 (2014) wasn't too shabby.

There are a lot of bad to mediocre shorts again in this entry, but the high points are worth the wait.

None hit quite as hard as Timo Tjahjanto's "L is for Libido" from the first film, but there are a few that come close (Chris Nash's "Z is for Zygote" is awesome).
Looking forward to it. I was a pretty big fan of most of the shorts in the first, and I've avoided any spoilers. Don't even know the directors yet, but I'm all in for it tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.