Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 09:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Another I don't think has been mentioned that would fit that theme is Eating Raoul (1982). It's available for free streaming at Hulu (free account required) and *not* free at Amazon.
I'd be good with that too. Any other votes? If not, Chad, feel free to pick either.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
There was some talk of moving Comedy of Terrors subset day to after the Vincent Price Collection II set comes out; just want to +1 that.
I'm contractually obligated to point out that we could also move the Comedy Theme day to the November 1st hours, to coincide with the November Comedy Challenge. We'd have to add another theme/subset then though.
Old 09-23-14, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
There was some talk of moving Comedy of Terrors subset day to after the Vincent Price Collection II set comes out; just want to +1 that.
Done. Bava/Castle and original song has been switched on theme nights; The House on Haunted Hill and Phantom of the Paradise on the subset.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd be good with that too. Any other votes? If not, Chad, feel free to pick either.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I vote for Bucket. I just watched Eating Raul and don't really want to sit through that ever again.
I let my old faithful friend random.org decide, which was before I saw the last post...

There were 4 items in your list. Here they are in random order:

A Bucket of Blood
Nonexistent 3rd option
Eating Raoul

Timestamp: 2014-09-24 02:45:53 UTC

And don't ask me what happened there.

I'm contractually obligated to point out that we could also move the Comedy Theme day to the November 1st hours, to coincide with the November Comedy Challenge. We'd have to add another theme/subset then though.
Ehunlmsdljfdlj.
Old 09-23-14, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking through bluray collection, and was wondering if any of these would not be considered horror. A couple of these I haven't seen, barely remember, or could see going either way.

Vertigo
North By Northwest
Rear Window
Blade
Blade II
Blade Trinity
Se7en
Old 09-23-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the Criterion Crossover entry has been decided. It was down to Island of Lost Souls, The Uninvited and Cronos.

The Uninvited (1944) won simply because it was the only one I could find a decent streaming link for:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y...944_shortfilms

Old 09-23-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by acdcrocks1980
Looking through bluray collection, and was wondering if any of these would not be considered horror. A couple of these I haven't seen, barely remember, or could see going either way.

Vertigo
North By Northwest
Rear Window
Blade
Blade II
Blade Trinity
Se7en
Those Hitchcock films are definitely not horror.
Old 09-23-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Good luck, hope you get yours.
Cancelled :.(
Old 09-23-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Also, the Criterion Crossover entry has been decided. It was down to Island of Lost Souls, The Uninvited and Cronos.

The Uninvited (1944) won simply because it was the only one I could find a decent streaming link for:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y...944_shortfilms
I'll probably begin with The Uninvited as well I got the BD back in May for my birthday and I haven't watched it yet.
Old 09-23-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd say Rear Window is kind of borderline. Besides Psycho and The Birds, what Hitchcock films are actually considered horror? Yes this is a real question, not a statement. . I'm nowhere near being as knowledgable about his films as I'd like to be.

Being that he is called "the master of suspense", I think it's usually assumed that most/all of his films are horror.
Old 09-23-14, 10:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Vertigo
North By Northwest
Rear Window
Blade
Blade II
Blade Trinity
Se7en
The Blades definitely qualify. I think Se7en should count too, although it's more griller if you're picky.
But they are all thrillers, and I thought we counted those?
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Cancelled :.(
Mine too.
Old 09-23-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did find some decent bargain bin titles at FYE though

And to a lesser extent these:

Old 09-23-14, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen it in at least 10 years, but I always loved The Shining I still have nightmares about that 217 lady and the number 217 stalks me constantly. I have the same DVD too:

Old 09-23-14, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Vertigo
North By Northwest
Rear Window
Blade
Blade II
Blade Trinity
Se7en
I agree with the others. The Hitchcock movies aren't horror.

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I'd say Rear Window is kind of borderline. Besides Psycho and The Birds, what Hitchcock films are actually considered horror? Yes this is a real question, not a statement. . I'm nowhere near being as knowledgable about his films as I'd like to be.

Being that he is called "the master of suspense", I think it's usually assumed that most/all of his films are horror.
The only other one I can think of that I wouldn't really question would be Frenzy, although the villains in Shadow of a Doubt and Strangers on a Train would fit well in a horror movie.

The Blades definitely qualify. I think Se7en should count too, although it's more griller if you're picky.

Thriller is too broad of a category. I certainly don't think all thrillers are horror movies. Since we're on the subject of Hitchcock, would you really classify The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, North by Northwest and Lifeboat as horror? I just don't see it.
Old 09-23-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Mine too.
Just my opinion, but there is a strong line between an action film/ thriller like North by Northwest and a horror film such as The Birds. The intent of a horror film is to inspire fear and dread in the viewer and usually, if not always, involves elements of the supernatural and the fantastic. North By Northwest is a terrific spy film, but it isn't intended to invoke fear in the viewer. On the other hand, if James Mason was playing a Cthulhu cultist who was planning to sacrifice Eva Marie Saint to summon the elder gods to Mt. Rushmore, then you'd have a horror movie.
Old 09-23-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait a minute...Rear Window isn't considered in this? It invokes a lot of fear and dread. It is a suspense/thriller film, but if we count something like Silence of the Lambs, I think it falls in the same category. It is a murder mystery that leaves you on the edge of your seat.
Old 09-23-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No tranny stuff in Rear Window.
Old 09-24-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

That One Armed Swordsman is a boot. Plus, the buffoons slapped both one armed swordsmen on the cover - Jimmy Wang Yu is in One Armed Swordsman and Return of the One Armed Swordsman, David Chiang is in The New One Armed Swordsman. So there's no telling which one armed swordsman movie it is. If you're really interested in these movies, do yourself a favor and find the Dragon Dynasty discs of One Armed Swordsman and Return of the One Armed Swordsman; outaluck for The New One Armed Swordsman, though; pity it's an awesome movie.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 09-24-14 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-24-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Wait a minute...Rear Window isn't considered in this? It invokes a lot of fear and dread. It is a suspense/thriller film, but if we count something like Silence of the Lambs, I think it falls in the same category. It is a murder mystery that leaves you on the edge of your seat.
I would actually agree with you to some extent on this statement, but probably not the way you intended. I wouldn't classify Silence of the Lambs as a horror movie. I know we debated that particular title before. I would put Seven in the same category. IMDB and AllMovie also don't categorize any of those movies as horror.

We have traditionally allowed Seven and Silence of the Lambs, though. I guess it has more to do with the gore aspects of it and popular opinion. Out of those three titles, I think Rear Window is the farthest from being horror.
Old 09-24-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

That leaves us at needing 1 more volunteer and Trevor's pick, so somebody fill that last spot already and let's get it done! The checklist is still waiting.
If no one else has stepped up, and you still need a volunteer, I'll pick something (it's "drive-in double features", right?).

I wasn't going to participate in the subsets (and not much with the theme nights) but I kind of wanted to watch that Klaus Kinski vampire flick, so I downloaded it from the link provided earlier in the thread. Then I saw on the same site a Spanish dubbed copy of the film that looked better and didn't have burned-in subtitles, so I downloaded it and replaced the soundtrack with the English one from the first one. After all that work, I figure I might as well do a few of the subset films.

Edit: Assuming it is "Drive-In Double Features," and both the films haven't been used before, I'll go with The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) and/or Dr. Phibes Rises Again (1972).

I watched Count Yorga and Return of CY in 2012, so I probably won't watch those again.

Edit again: All four of those films are on YouTube at this time, but if you're looking for something besides a movie and its sequel, here are a few more choices:

It looks like all 8 of those films are on YouTube now.
NSFW:

The I Dismember Mama/The Blood Spattered Bride double feature also has this unforgettable trailer to recommend it:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/L-zghJW-0bo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Plus it's the only actual double feature I suggested...

Last edited by Dimension X; 09-24-14 at 05:41 AM.
Old 09-24-14, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Another vote for Eating Raoul. I had planned on watching it that day, too. Finally going to crack open my Criterion BD.

It's always sad when we have to have these borderline horror discussions. There are far too many solid horror picks to allow for some of these marginal ones. That's my 2 cents. We already allow films that have monsters, horror comedies, and other Halloween-related fair. I think there are enough options.
Old 09-24-14, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dimension X

Edit again: All four of those films are on YouTube at this time, but if you're looking for something besides a movie and its sequel, here are a few more choices:

It looks like all 8 of those films are on YouTube now.
[nsfw]
All of those on YouTube is pretty impressive. That's become the best streaming option for this marathon.
Old 09-24-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's how I feel as well. If you have to start questioning a movie, just skip it and move onto something that you know is horror. I do that or I'll search a few sites and if I can find the title with a horror genre label or if it shows up on a horror list, then I watch it.

It's also ok to watch something that isn't horror and just not count it. Watch something because you want to watch it and not worry about getting one more count on your watch list.
Amen. If you're not sure...it probably shouldn't count.
Old 09-24-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

That's how I feel as well. If you have to start questioning a movie, just skip it and move onto something that you know is horror. I do that or I'll search a few sites and if I can find the title with a horror genre label or if it shows up on a horror list, then I watch it.

It's also ok to watch something that isn't horror and just not count it. Watch something because you want to watch it and not worry about getting one more count on your watch list.
Yep. I agree.

I use IMDB and AllMovie to check film genres. For this one, if a film doesn't have a "horror" genre tag on one of those sites I do not question and either save it for another qualifying challenge or just watch it and not count it.
Old 09-24-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I use IMDB and AllMovie to check film genres. For this one, if a film doesn't have a "horror" genre tag on one of those sites I do not question and either save it for another qualifying challenge or just watch it and not count it.
I know it's been suggested previous years, but this would put an end to the headaches and be the simplest way to ensure a film counts. If it's not listed as horror on either of these, skip it or don't count it.
Old 09-24-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I know it's been suggested previous years, but this would put an end to the headaches and be the simplest way to ensure a film counts. If it's not listed as horror on either of these, skip it or don't count it.
Agreed 100 percent. I mean do we have to go down the Amazing Spiderman road again.
Old 09-24-14, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the Amazing Spiderman road? Did someone really argue it's a horror film?!?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.