Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-28-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Kiniest View Post
Oh, that sounds pretty nice. But in being unacquainted to the horror genre, I think I'll play it safe and go along with the theme nights. Also, because I'm attending a film festival this month, I think I'll stick to one movie a day.

Thanks for the response, I look forward to participating.
Welcome to the challenge. I hope you have fun.
Old 09-28-14, 08:23 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by SethDLH View Post
New blood to the challenge is always welcomed and a lot of fun! I hope you have fun and don't forget to discuss whatever you end up watching which almost as fun as watching the movies themselves!
Well, of course. What point is there in watching a movie if you can't talk about it afterwards?

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Welcome to the challenge. I hope you have fun.
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old 09-28-14, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
Kiniest, that's about right, except you are not beholden to the themes. All of the extra stuff (theme nights, subset films, checklist) are totally optional. I usually don't participate in the theme nights unless I really want to see the selected film. Happy viewing!
Great points mrcellophane.

I love theme nights and now I do them each year. Not fully going to commit to the subset picks this year, but I will try to see most of them. Hoping to get to around 50 films. My biggest viewing month of the year so far has been April with about 40 flicks (and the B-Movie challenge). Working lots this year, but have most weekends free and a couple of other days to maximize this amazing challenge!

I spend a lot of other times reading other people's posts and watching YouTube videos.

Welcome to the all newcomers! This is a fantastic month and Chad leads this thing as the event of the year, IMO.
Old 09-28-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only ~3 more days!

The subset threads are looking really sleek.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-28-14 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-28-14, 08:58 AM

Actually, now that I think to it, the problem will be juggling...

This, college work, the daily anime, and the film festival. Might as well give it a go, nonetheless.
Old 09-28-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I get that. But a lot of those films probably won't have too many people in theaters. I'll be shocked if something like ABCs of Death 2 actually has more than 200 theaters or so. Bummer that See No Evil 2 is only getting a On Demand/straight to disc release.
I'm surprised ABCs of Death 2 is even getting a theatrical release. I disagree about the theater presence. I live in a small town but horror movies always have a packed theater even weeks after the opening. I find it fascinating, people of all ages and backgrounds love horror movies. Maybe some of the more obscure titles, but I guarantee if you go to see Annabelle, your theater will be packed.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
Sounds like they were...uninvited.

So, basically, we're individually trying to watch 100 horror movies by the end of October. You can watch as many movies a day as you want so long as they fit the day's themes. If actively participating, you must post your list in the list thread, rather than this one.

Did I get that right?
Not many of us really strive for 100 films, that's a lot of movies to watch in just one month! The goal is to just watch a lot of horror movies and have fun. Last year I managed 47 movies. This year I am going for 60. I think 2 movies per night is reasonable, although I'm sure I'll struggle with that at least a few nights this month.
Old 09-28-14, 11:04 AM

Australia has the most pathetic turn out for all kinds of films. I attended a horror festival earlier this year - which was basically all Aussie stuff and most nights only 5 people or so would turn up. When I was in the UK, the cinemas were always nicely packed. I absolutely loved the experience in the UK of watching horror with an audience (especially at FrightFest), but you can't get that in Aus
Old 09-28-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mightysparks View Post
Australia has the most pathetic turn out for all kinds of films. I attended a horror festival earlier this year - which was basically all Aussie stuff and most nights only 5 people or so would turn up. When I was in the UK, the cinemas were always nicely packed. I absolutely loved the experience in the UK of watching horror with an audience (especially at FrightFest), but you can't get that in Aus
That sucks, there is nothing like watching a horror movie with a good crowd that is really into it. I guess it's time to move!
Old 09-28-14, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
That sucks, there is nothing like watching a horror movie with a good crowd that is really into it. I guess it's time to move!
Ha, I did but then was forced to come back I remember one of the films I went to, the couple in front of me made out for the entire film, and a couple others off to the side just giggled to themselves. I feel like a grumpy old person at cinemas.

Speaking of the horror festival, the best films I saw there were Sororal (and Perth-made, so that was cool) and Chocolate Strawberry Vanilla. I think they're both worth checking out if you happen upon them.
Old 09-28-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, now that I think to it, the problem will be juggling...

This, college work, the daily anime, and the film festival. Might as well give it a go, nonetheless.
Just watch when you can and don't sweat it! A co-worker joined last year and I think she watched *one* movie. She's a self-professed horror fan as well but things just worked against her. As other have said, and others will say, the main point is watch some horror films, talk about them, and have fun.

Quantity is pretty cool if you can pull it off but it's *very* draining and requires *all* of your time to get really high numbers. Even 100 is pretty daunting - I've done it several times in the various challenges and it takes its toll in sleep deprivation and loss of family time. Now I just watch what I want when I can and let those with more time on their hands get the glory for high totals. I always look at the theme nights, checklists, etc. for inspiration but no longer let them drive my viewing.

So... Welcome! And have fun!
Old 09-28-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed, welcome! If you really want to go for the gold, watching 100+ movies is doable if you have the time. For instance, 70s made-for-tv movies and B-pictures from the 30s and 40s generally run around 60-70 minutes, so it's possible to get in 3 to 4 a night and more on weekends, but the goal is to have fun, not achieve arbitrary metrics.

Fire up a colortini (as the late Tom Snyder was wont to say), slap on a movie and enjoy some lively discussion.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-28-14 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 02:38 PM

Had a fun week that sort of fits in with horror. After a few days of my throat getting more and more swollen until it finally getting to the point of me barely being able to breathe. I went to the ER and they said I had an abscess on my tonsils, and proceeded to stab me in the throat almost a dozen times hoping to drain the pus. They never hit pus, but the amount of blood was akin to a Saw victim.

Kinda sucks on the timing though. I already missed two days of work and spent the weekend doped up on painkillers while watching whatever random thing I hit with Netflix, all of which could have been super useful if it was Oct. 1st or later. haha On the sort of brightside, it's making me have to hold off from trying for a job that would have taken me to another state and interrupted the month's viewings. The job would involve a lot of talking on the phone and I can't talk at all right now, maybe not for a few more weeks. So I guess the challenge shouldn't be a problem for me now until I heal up.
Old 09-28-14, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by dcrw6 View Post
Had a fun week that sort of fits in with horror. After a few days of my throat getting more and more swollen until it finally getting to the point of me barely being able to breathe. I went to the ER and they said I had an abscess on my tonsils, and proceeded to stab me in the throat almost a dozen times hoping to drain the pus. They never hit pus, but the amount of blood was akin to a Saw victim.
I'm not sure if that sucks or if you're horribly lucky.

I need more horrifying situations in my life if I ever want to write horrifying situations.
Old 09-28-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just completed a bit or horror themed orgainzation to my unwatched pile and was somewhat shocked to find I have over 100 horror titles awaiting me! That pretty much cements my resolve to totally ignore all the lists/subsets/etc. and hit the pile *hard*!

One thing that has the potential to put the brakes on me a bit is my son and his family are going to be in town the week of the 6th. They live ~12 hours away so we don't get to see those 2 grandkids much (ages 1 & 2.5) and I'm sure most of my time that week will be spent on the floor with them! At least the kids go to bed early - but my son is *not* a horror fan of any type so any viewings will be after *he's* gone to bed. Hmmm.... I *do* have a few things he *might* watch with me: Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, Dark Shadows, and Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, but that's mainly because those are more "main streem" films. I've never understood how he could have grown up with me and doesn't generally like SF or Horror films... It *has* to be his mother's influence...
Old 09-28-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

51 hours to go.

I'm still quite excited, even though this year I'll probably watch fewer movies than ever due to teaching night classes in addition to my regular day job.

I'm also pretty psyched that there are no obvious groaners on the subset list this year. Way to go, everybody!

Last edited by rbrown498; 09-28-14 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A high recommend (as wildcard) and a definite skip - my favorite and least favorite movies of the year so far:

Recommend: The Guest

Avoid: Jersey Shore Massacre

Old 09-28-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am intrigued to watch Freddy vs. Jason, but admittedly have only seen up through Friday the 13th Part 5 and Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3. Will it make much of a difference not having seen all the movies leading up to it?
Old 09-28-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Sorry to be the party pooper that breaks up the conversation, but I'd be remiss in my hosting duties if I didn't mention that one last piece of business that still needs attending to:

The Checklist

Here's the master list of all previous entries rbrown498 compiled last year updated for this year:

Spoiler:
Actors:
Spoiler:
John Agar
Asia Argento
Tom Atkins
Reggie Bannister
Michelle Bauer
Michael Berryman
Angela Bettis
Karen Black
Doug Bradley
Raine Brown
Jessica Cameron
Bruce Campbell
John Carradine
Lon Chaney Sr.
Lon Chaney Jr.
Jefferey Combs
Elisha Cook Jr.
Hazel Court
Barbara Crampton
Joan Crawford
Jamie Lee Curtis
Peter Cushing
Keith David
Bradford Dillman
Brad Dourif
Elissa Dowling
Robert Englund
Ken Foree
Dwight Frye
Michael Gough
Sid Haig
Danielle Harris
Lance Henriksen
Kane Hodder
Clint Howard
Katherine Isabelle
Boris Karloff
Udo Kier
Klaus Kinski
Tina Krause
Christopher Lee
Peter Lorre
Bela Lugosi
José "Coffin Joe" Marins
Ray Milland
Dick Miller
Bill Moseley
Caroline Munro
Paul Naschy
Ron Perlman
Donald Pleasence
Ingrid Pitt
Vincent Price
Robert Quarry
Linnea Quigley
Ted Raimi
Ivan Rasimov
Basil Rathbone
Oliver Reed
Debbie Rochon
Lina Romay
John Saxon
Angus Scrimm
Barbara Shelley
Tony Todd
Edward Van Sloan
Barbara Steele
Brinke Stevens
Glenn Strange
Donald Sutherland
Tony Todd
Danny Trejo
Conrad Veidt
Max von Sydow
Dee Wallace
David Warner
Virginia Wetherell
Fay Wray

Composers:
Spoiler:

Marco Beltrami
James Bernard
Simon Boswell
Pino Donaggio
Bernard Herrmann
Alan Howarth
Ennio Morricone
Hans J. Salter

Directors:
Spoiler:
Dario Argento
Mario Bava
John Carpenter
Wes Craven
David Cronenberg
Dan Curtis
Stuart Gordon
Tobe Hooper
Amando de Ossorio
Brian De Palma
Freddie Francis
Jess Franco
Terence Fisher
Riccardo Freda
Kazuo 'Gaira' Komizu
William Girdler
Bert I. Gordon
Sergio Martino
Paco Plaza
Roman Polanski
Jean Rollin
George A. Romero
Takashi Shimizu
Jacques Tourneur
Pete Walker
James Whale
Brian Yuzna

Make-up effects:
Spoiler:
Amalgamated Dynamics
Rick Baker
Joe Blasco
Rob Bottin
John Chambers
KNB Effects (Howard Berger / Robert Kurtzman / Gregory Nicotero)
Germano Natali
Jack Pierce
Carlo Rambaldi
Tom Savini
Dick Smith

Producers:
Spoiler:
Dino De Laurentiis
Val Lewton
Joel Soisson

Writers:
Spoiler:
Richard Matheson
Dardano Sacchetti
Jimmy Sangster

And here's what we've got so far...

Select 10 actors:
--- John Agar -or- Donald Pleasence -
--- Adrienne Barbeau -or- Carolyn Purdy-Gordon -
--- Bruce Campbell -or- Bill Moseley -
--- Barbara Crampton -or- Phil Fondacaro -
--- Jamie Lee Curtis -or- Jill Schoelen -
--- Peter Cushing -or- Christopher Lee -
--- Larry Drake -or- Michael Ironside -
--- Lisa Langlois -or- Lynn Lowry -
--- Suzi Lorraine -or- Sara Paxton -
--- Christopher George -or- Kevin McCarthy -
--- Jeff Goldblum -or- Christopher Walken -
--- Anthony Hopkins -or- Anthony Perkins -
--- Boris Karloff -or- Bela Lugosi -
--- Jordan Ladd -or- Tiffany Shepis -
--- José "Coffin Joe" Marins -or- Paul Naschy -
--- Malcolm McDowell -or- Julian Sands -
--- Ray Milland -or- Vincent Price -
--- Andrew Prine -or- Robert Z'Dar -
--- Michael Ripper -or- Thorley Walters -
--- John Saxon -or- Barbara Steele -

Select 2 film composers:
--- John Frizzell -
--- Howard Shore -
--- Claudio Simonetti -
--- Frank Skinner -

Select 5 directors:
--- Dario Argento -or- Lucio Fulci -
--- Mario Bava -or- William Castle -
--- Lamberto Bava -or- Umberto Lenzi -
--- Larry Cohen -or- Don Coscarelli -
--- Roger Corman -or- David DeCoteau -
--- Ruggero Deodato -or- Herschell Gordon Lewis -
--- Kiyoshi Kurosawa -or- Hideo Nakata -
--- Tom Holland -or- Steve Miner -
--- The Pang Brothers -or- Takashi Miike -
--- Ti West -or- Adam Wingard -

Select 2 make-up effects artists:
--- Roy Ashton -
--- Greg Cannom -
--- Robert Hall -
--- Dick Smith (R.I.P.) -

Select 2 producers:
--- Jason Blum -
--- Herman Cohen -
--- Sam Katzman -
--- Guillermo del Toro -

Select 1 writer:
--- Robert Bloch -
--- Charles B. Griffith -
--- H.P. Lovecraft -

Select 30 of the following sub-genres / types:
--- *3-D Film -
--- Anthology Film -
--- Appears on BFI's 100 European Horror Films List -
--- Appears on Video Nasties List -
--- Based on a Novel -
--- Cannibalism -
--- Cinema Inspired By: Stephen King -
--- Cinematic Titanic / Horror Host / MST3K / RiffTrax -
--- Comedy / Spoof -
--- Criterion / Masters of Cinema Version Film -
--- Death by: Decapitation -
--- Distributor / Studio: Something Weird Video (R.I.P. Mike Vraney) -
--- Documentary -
--- Extraterrestrial / Takes Place in Space -
--- Found Footage -
--- Frankenstein -
--- From a Face Off Judge (links will be provided) -
--- Ghost / Haunting -
--- Giallo -
--- J-Horror -
--- Killer / Evil Animal -
--- Killer / Evil Child -
--- Killer / Evil Doll -
--- Made-for-TV Movie -
--- Monster / Creature Feature / Godzilla -
--- Mummy -
--- Musical / Rock ‘n Roll Horror
--- Nation of Origin: Mexico -
--- Nazi -
--- Psychological -
--- Rape / Revenge -
--- Slasher / Psycho / Homicidal Maniac -
--- Takes Place on a Holiday -
--- Takes Place on or Under the Sea -
--- Three Installments in a Franchise -
--- Vampire -
--- Werewolf -
--- Witchcraft / Satanic / Religious -
--- With Commentary -
--- With Two or More Horror Legends -
--- Zombie -

Watch films in at least three formats:
--- First format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Second format, (insert format), (insert title).
--- Third format, (insert format), (insert title).

Watch films in at least three languages:
--- First language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Second language, (insert language), (insert title).
--- Third language, (insert language), (insert title).

Select 8 decades of film history:
--- 1890 -
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Select 4 ratings:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X / NC-17 -
--- Unrated -
--- M -
--- GP -

Attend a live event (convention, play, haunted house, ghost tour, etc.):
--- (insert event). OPTIONAL

Venture Into the Literary World:
--- Read a Horror Novel or Novella (insert title). OPTIONAL

All the entries for composers, directors and make-up artists are new this year. The one change to the "sub-genres / types" is combining "Film and at Least Two of its Sequels" with "Film and its Remake" to "Watch Three Installments in a Franchise".

And it looks like we've pretty much covered every actor with sizable genre credits out there! Still, we need to come up with ten we haven't covered in the past (a few pairings may be in order), and ten we want to revisit.

Also, we have to get this done before Wednesday. No pressure.

Last edited by Chad; 09-29-14 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by gp1086 View Post
I am intrigued to watch Freddy vs. Jason, but admittedly have only seen up through Friday the 13th Part 5 and Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3. Will it make much of a difference not having seen all the movies leading up to it?
I don't think so. You already know Jason's origin, which is the only thing referenced in Freddy v Jason, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is any tie ins to the NOES movies in Freddy vs Jason. So I think you should be safe.
Old 09-28-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I don't think so. You already know Jason's origin, which is the only thing referenced in Freddy v Jason, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is any tie ins to the NOES movies in Freddy vs Jason. So I think you should be safe.
Thanks!
Old 09-28-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Actors Checklist

Anthony Hopkins OR Anthony Perkins
Jill Schoelen OR Rose McGowan
Amber Heard OR Nancy Allen
Adrienne Barbeau OR Tiffany Shepis
Christopher George OR Robert Z'Dar
Old 09-28-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
I'm surprised ABCs of Death 2 is even getting a theatrical release. I disagree about the theater presence. I live in a small town but horror movies always have a packed theater even weeks after the opening. I find it fascinating, people of all ages and backgrounds love horror movies. Maybe some of the more obscure titles, but I guarantee if you go to see Annabelle, your theater will be packed.
I live in a big city and this year, theaters haven't been kind to horror (look at the box office numbers and it is disappointing this year). And I will easily take that beat. Annabelle is going to tank. The production is shit, the trailer makes no sense, and it's going to be blown out of the water by Gone Girl which opens the same week. Annabelle could have been an amazing film, but the way they created the trailer looks extremely rushed, not much direction, and instead of going the based by a true story like Conjuring, just looks like a poorly done movie. Ouija looks a lot better.
Old 09-28-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some suggestions . . .

Actors Not Yet On The Checklist
Thorley Walters
Andrew Keir
Joan Collins
Michael Ripper
Adrienne Barbeau
Judy Geeson
Heather Langenkamp
Elsa Lanchester
Patrick Knowles
David Manners
Nina Foch
Jeffrey DeMunn
Janet Leigh
Kevin McCarthy
Julian Sands

Actors to Revisit
Vincent Price
Bela Lugosi
Boris Karloff
Christopher Lee
Peter Cushing

Directors
Kim Ji-Woon
Frank Darabont
William Beaudine
Ti West
Roger Corman (also works as producer)
Robert Fuest

We did Death by Chainsaw last year, so maybe we could change it to Death By Beheading or Death By Animal.

Have we done Cinema Inspired by Stephen King, Edgar Allan Poe, Robert Bloch, or Clive Barker? Also, how about switching the Nation of Origin to South Korea or The Philippines or Mexico or France?

Last edited by Gobear; 09-28-14 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Nice, I will have to check back in March. Would love to watch a bunch of mystery films and discuss them with people. I know this has the biggest turnout, but how is the turnout in March?
Most of the other challenges get around 40 participants, so there's always room for more. As people have said in this thread about this challenge, you don't have to try to watch 100 movies in a month for any of the other ones either. If nothing else, they make good excuses to watch stuff in your unwatched pile, and to get recommendations for more films worth watching.
Old 09-28-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
...And it looks like we've pretty much covered every actor with sizable genre credits out there! Still, we need to come up with ten we haven't covered in the past (a few pairings may be in order), and ten we want to revisit...
OK... I'll throw out 10 I'd like to see revisited:

John Agar
Boris Karloff
Klaus Kinski
Christopher Lee
Paul Naschy
Ray Milland
Ingrid Pitt
Vincent Price
John Saxon
Barbara Steele

These were chosen solely because I *know* I have at least one film with each in the unwatched pile.

**Edit**
I like Gobear's Actor list too. I'll add a few for consideration:

Johnny Depp
Michael Ironside
Larry Drake
Christopher Walken
Jeff Goldblum
Lionel Atwill
Jack Nicholson
Patrick Magee
Evelyn Ankers
Tor Johnson
Barbara Crampton

And a few Directors:

Tod Browning
Jack Arnold
Herschell Gordon Lewis

Last edited by BobO'Link; 09-28-14 at 06:52 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.