Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-15-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Just a note that many of the films listed under examples on post 313 are not updated, and I don't mean just the ones that say "Not quite ready for primetime" and "Brew some coffee ..." I know it's a work in progress; I just thought I'd point it out just in case.

With that being said, here some suggestions based on some of what I plan to watch that are also streaming on Netflix. Yes, these will be first-time viewings for me.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - I don't know if I'm more surprised that I haven't seen this before or that it hasn't already been used as a daily selection. It can be used for Apocalyptic Horror or Before They Were Stars if we really want to reach (Carolyn Jones before she was Morticia Adams and Sam Peckinpah). I would also be willing to do the 1978 version of Invasion, which is also on Netflix, but I've already seen it and would prefer the original.

Vampire Lovers (1970) - I bought this on Blu-ray in anticipation of watching it during the challenge. It could be used for the Erotic Horror night.

Madhouse (1974) - I recorded it off TCM. It stars Vincent Price. We could always use movies starring him in the challenge. Going off IMDB's keywords for the film, I think this would work for the Slasher night and Masked Killers night.

Out of those three, I probably would push the most for Invasion of the Body Snatchers, but I understand that it's whatever works best for the challenge. Let me know if I need to give more suggestions.
Old 09-15-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Here are some suggestions for subset picks:
  • The House That Dripped Blood (on Amazon Prime and YouTube) - Anthology, Vampire, Supernatural
  • Halloween 6: The Curse of Micheal Myers (on Netflix) – Halloween, Masked Killer, Supernatural, Slasher
  • Satan's Little Helper (on Amazon Prime, Netflix, + YouTube) – Masked Killers, Slasher, (maybe demonic, haven't seen it yet)
  • Hatchet For the Honeymoon (on Netflix, YouTube, + Amazon Price) - Bava, Giallo, Supernatural
  • Leprechaun (on Amazon Prime & Netflix) – Before They Were Stars, Creature Feature

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown View Post
No luck with Idle Hands or Lesbian Vampire Killers.
I really want to check out Lesbian Vampire Killers but that seems more difficult to hunt down. Is it worth a blind buy, subset or not?
Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
Bad Milo
I'm planning to check out Bad Milo this challenge (on Netflix), glad to hear it's worthy.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-15-14 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arw6040 View Post
It's listed as 2013 on imdb if it's the one directed by Gonzalo López-Gallego then it's the right one. He also directed Apollo 18 which I haven't seen. I recommend it to those who can see it regardless of whether it's a subset pick or not. I wish I saved it for seeing it the first time during the challenge, saw it in a few months ago, but it won't be for everyone.
Re-checked it and yup, it's the same movie. Already recorded it.
Old 09-15-14, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I really want to check out Lesbian Vampire Killers but that seems more difficult to hunt down. Is it worth a blind buy, subset or not?
I really loved it. But, I'm partial to horror comedies and a decent level of campiness. It's fun rather than scary. If that's you're thing, I'd say definitely worth it.
Old 09-15-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I don't have a lot of time to cross reference everything, but checking the list of movies, here's a few of my suggestions:

Bathroom: Suspiria (It's on my list to watch, so would love to discuss this).
Hallucination: The Exorcism of Emily Rose or From Hell (seen both, both are good and discussion would be fun).
Masked Killers: Trick r Treat, Behind the Mask, Funhouse, or Strangers
Fangoria: Funhouse, Halloween 2 or 3, or Cabin Fever.

If these are all taken, just give me a topic.
Old 09-15-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
So I don't have a lot of time to cross reference everything, but checking the list of movies, here's a few of my suggestions:

Bathroom: Suspiria (It's on my list to watch, so would love to discuss this).
Hallucination: The Exorcism of Emily Rose or From Hell (seen both, both are good and discussion would be fun).
Masked Killers: Trick r Treat, Behind the Mask, Funhouse, or Strangers
Fangoria: Funhouse, Halloween 2 or 3, or Cabin Fever.

If these are all taken, just give me a topic.
For what it's worth, there are a few of those that would be ineligible because they've already been used in the past. That would include: Suspiria, Trick r Treat, and Behind the Mask.
Old 09-15-14, 11:25 PM

I haven't really been here on the site much in the last year (or anywhere online really save for maybe Letterboxd), but there's no way I would miss the challenge. My life's still at an all-time low point, but if my wife were still here, she would be disappointed if I didn't continue with something that meant so much to the both of us. It's becoming sort of a memorial for her in my mind, I think.

Seeing the call for the list thread being up pop up on Facebook was actually a little jarring. I hadn't realized the time was so close. haha I just read through every post in this thread and it's all just so exciting like it always is. It's like a kid waiting for Christmas. And the work being put into it is outstanding, each year being topped by the next. It's amazing what it's become. I'm not sure how it will go for me this year because I'm in the talks of maybe getting one of two better jobs, both in different states, and that would keep me occupied for a while, but I'll fit in what I can. Of course, if both fall through, then at least the comfort of being stuck where I am is that I'll have my movie collection on hand for hundreds of choices. haha
Old 09-15-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since it has never been used and I just picked up the Blu-ray from Best Buy I suggest THe Birds for creature feature

Last edited by acubfaninmd; 09-16-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 12:20 AM

I went back to my subset post and added links to all of my picks.

Also, looked over the theme nights and realized a few others themes fit with some of them:

Sibling rivalry for Dear Dead Delilah, The Night God Screamed and Further than Fear.

Graveyard for Burned at the Stake (doesn't take place entirely there, but has a few key scenes) and Further than Fear (some scenes in an underground tomb).

And I noticed that Mysterious Two was accidentally labeled slasher in the master list instead of before they were stars (Robert Englund).

Last edited by J. Farley; 09-16-14 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 12:29 AM

For my subset suggestions here's where you can find them:

Stitches (amazon instant paid rental, redbox, netflix streaming) (seen already)
Open Grave (2013) (amazon instant paid rental, redbox) (seen already)
The Quiet Ones (redbox, amazon instant paid rental) (will be a first time view)
Oculus (redbox, amazon instant paid rental) (will be a first time view)

A lot of subset suggestions people are throwing out so far on here are movies I was planning to check out for those particular theme nights most likely, so that's always cool.

On another note I'm dying to see The Pact 2, this challenge got me loving the first film so hopefully will get to this challenge. It's released on iTunes for those who don't know. I'm hoping redbox will get it by october but we'll see.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
Re-checked it and yup, it's the same movie. Already recorded it.
Hope you enjoy it :-)
Old 09-16-14, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
Some subset suggestions just off the top of my head.
Horror Films with Original Songs--Ben, The Blob (1958), Phantom of the Paradise, Repo: The Genetic Opera, Cat People (1982)
Seconded!

Also nominate: Fido (2006) for comedy or zombies.

Last edited by ntnon; 09-16-14 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another suggestion I have that is also on Netflix is Friday the 13th Part VII for masked killers.
Old 09-16-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This isn't the Buried Alive I was originally referring to. I'm planning to watch the 2007 Dimension Extreme film of that name. This, however, is some classic 1990 cheese. Based on the Edgar Allen Poe story...kind of. Watched this with some friends last year and really enjoyed it. since it's available in great quality on YouTube, I'm recommending this as the version for my subset pick this year. Link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiDSUkyv_0k

I strongly recommend searching for titles on YouTube. There are lots of forgotten horror gems on there at the moment. It's ridiculously vast and I think it's such a great resource for this challenge. I'm personally not a Netflix subscriber, mostly due to my movie collection and all the other options available. Gone are the days of everything on YouTube being low quality and broken up into many chapters.
Old 09-16-14, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
Another suggestion I have that is also on Netflix is Friday the 13th Part VII for masked killers.
Probably my favorite of the bunch. One I'm always happy to revisit.
Old 09-16-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just received my copy of Crystal Lake Memories. I had to open it to make sure the discs were ok. The post office extremely mishandled the package and the case was all smashed. Luckilly there were no scratches on the discs. Would it count as two entries? 1 entry per disc?
Old 09-16-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Anybody know if snippets of the bonus disc has made it's way to youtube yet? (I guess it's just my life mission to find every Larry Zerner interview ever made)

Originally Posted by indiephantom View Post
This isn't the Buried Alive I was originally referring to. I'm planning to watch the 2007 Dimension Extreme film of that name.
Don't get your hopes up. If I recall correctly, the only memorable thing from that movie to me was Lindsey Scott. Who I think made the list in one of my "Favorite Horror Babes" roundup
Old 09-16-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Just received my copy of Crystal Lake Memories. I had to open it to make sure the discs were ok. The post office extremely mishandled the package and the case was all smashed. Luckilly there were no scratches on the discs. Would it count as two entries? 1 entry per disc?
What's the running time.

I plan on selling my copy with the bonus disc but I've just been super lazy and not done it since I got it. I don't ever see myself sitting through it again but I did recently pick up the book.
Old 09-16-14, 01:38 PM

Original Song: A nightmare on Elm Street 3 Dream Warriors
Criterion: Cronos (also works for vampire)
Summer Horror: I know what you did Last Summer
Supernatural/Demonic: The Sentinel(I think)(also NIghtmare and halucinations)(Plus Eli Wallach passed away this year)
80's Video Campanies: The Dark (Media) Youtube
80's Video: The Church(Southgate Video)
Satanic/Demonic The Devils Rain
Old 09-16-14, 01:41 PM

Also, I saw a checklist but it seemed like it was last years. Was I mistaken, or is there another coming up.
Old 09-16-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

I updated the subset suggestions master list so it's easier read and not so jumbled together.

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Just a note that many of the films listed under examples on post 313 are not updated, and I don't mean just the ones that say "Not quite ready for primetime" and "Brew some coffee ..." I know it's a work in progress; I just thought I'd point it out just in case.
That is on my to do list.

Originally Posted by J. Farley View Post
I went back to my subset post and added links to all of my picks.

Also, looked over the theme nights and realized a few others themes fit with some of them:

Sibling rivalry for Dear Dead Delilah, The Night God Screamed and Further than Fear.

Graveyard for Burned at the Stake (doesn't take place entirely there, but has a few key scenes) and Further than Fear (some scenes in an underground tomb).

And I noticed that Mysterious Two was accidentally labeled slasher in the master list instead of before they were stars (Robert Englund).
Updated.

Let me get back to you on that one.

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
Also, I saw a checklist but it seemed like it was last years. Was I mistaken, or is there another coming up.
You're probably thinking of the one in the list thread. It's from last year. We'll tackle updating it after the subset list is figured out.
Old 09-16-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if Halloween III would count as a masked killer subset. It has nothing to do with Michael Myers. It was about a plot to use Halloween masks to melt children's faces on Halloween.
Old 09-16-14, 03:23 PM

yeah... no masked killer in it. just killer robots.
Old 09-16-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Well, to be fair, it does have killer masks, but not masked killers.

And it also has Michael Myers on a television in the film, so it's a meta film! But that unfortunately is not a theme this year.

Fixed.

Last edited by Chad; 09-16-14 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-16-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
2. Undeadcow

...Satan's Little Helper (masked killer, slasher, satanic/demonic)...
Minor correction - not having seen Satan's Little Helper it's unclear to me if it's really satanic/demonic or just uses the term "Satan" in a random sense associated with dark yet human acts... but you probably caught my suggestion before I edited away the "satanic/demonic" reference.
Old 09-16-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
What's the running time.

I plan on selling my copy with the bonus disc but I've just been super lazy and not done it since I got it. I don't ever see myself sitting through it again but I did recently pick up the book.
The running time is 400 minutes.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.