Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-09-14, 12:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by mightysparks
New Japanese Gore Films (2000 - Present)
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003325105/
Many great movies on this list, and quite a few I haven't seen. Have to track down Shyness Machine Girl, unless it's the same as the side story on the Ultimate Machine Girl set. Love the gaidens on several of these dvds. Worth checking out.

Personal favorites:
The Machine Girl
Meatball Machine
Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl
RoboGeisha
Elevator Trap
Big Tits Zombie
(in 3-D!)
Psycho Gothic Lolita
Mutant Girls Squad
Alien vs. Ninja
Helldriver
Zombie Ass: The Toilet of the Dead
Dead Sushi

Seriously missing from this list:
Attack Girls' Swimteam vs. the Undead
Old 09-09-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
Many great movies on this list, and quite a few I haven't seen. Have to track down Shyness Machine Girl, unless it's the same as the side story on the Ultimate Machine Girl set. Love the gaidens on several of these dvds. Worth checking out.

Personal favorites:
The Machine Girl
Meatball Machine
RoboGeisha
Elevator Trap
Big Tits Zombie
(in 3-D!)
Psycho Gothic Lolita
Mutant Girls Squad
Alien vs. Ninja
Helldriver
Dead Sushi

I forget where I've seen it listed, maybe Hulu, but I know I've seen Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl listed somewhere on one of my Roku channels. Might have been Netflix too.
Old 09-09-14, 12:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I forget where I've seen it listed, maybe Hulu, but I know I've seen Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl listed somewhere on one of my Roku channels. Might have been Netflix too.
From the imdb list, these are presently streaming on Netflix:
Mutant Girls Squad
Yakuza Weapon
Deadball
The ABCs of Death

Plus:
Chanbara Beauty: The Movie - Vortex (sequel to Onechanbara: The Movie)

Psycho Gothic Lolita and Helldriver were, but I guess not anymore.
Old 09-09-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I taped it last month on one of the cinemax channels. Doesn't look like it's coming back on this month, but it might be back in Oct.
Aww, cool. I must have missed it when I started looking for movies a few weeks back. I always end up recording way too many horror movies in preparation for October. I don't expect this year to be any different.
Old 09-09-14, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Help make my job easier by solving some few theme-related issues:

1. Quite/Soft horror made the list, but so has Supernatural as a returning theme. Being that the former is essentially comprised of the latter and Psychological horror, well, it makes little sense to repeat the same thing twice. Everyone cool with combining the two and including it as a subcategory?

2. Mass Marathon of the Damned also looks to be returning, and I was thinking of doing a location-based faceoff with Stores vs. Restaurants. The combined links provide more than enough for marathon viewing, and naturally it would be on a Saturday. Sound good?

3. Do we take advantage of the full moon on 10/8? I believe last year was the first time we did not. If so, what do we use?
Old 09-09-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
3. Do we take advantage of the full moon on 10/8? I believe last year was the first time we did not. If so, what do we use?
Something about shapeshifting and human experimentation as a whole, rather than just wolf people..?
Old 09-09-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

THEMES

My vote is for SONGS, WAR, MASKS and ANNIVERSARIES (50TH & 25TH).

I also like the "classic" broad themes: vampires, werewolves, slashers, etc. Days themed after "true" icons (Price, Karloff, Cushing, Lee) and so on. The last couple of years I have mainly struggled to find things starring people-I've-never-heard-of and things from countries that were never released in R2 or R1. So I also mildly vote against the Japanese/Hong Kong/Filippino themes.

Before they were famous is something I'd prefer to see as a checklist item (how about "an Oscar nominee" or something equally impressive, so there's no quibble over whether someone IS "famous"..!), since it's more of a nice aside than something to seek out, I think.

Public Domain and Low Budget would also not seem to warrant a themed day in my mind. And having no idea what the Face Off thing is about (nor the time to care), I vote against it, too. Fangoria perusing sounds like fun and is notable enough that... well, I doubt I can be bothered to look at them much, but it's a nice idea. Could you combine Cross-dressing and lesbians into some kind of vague, not-too-offensively-worded, LGBT super category and go with that...? Make it broad enough to include all the "Strippers vs..." films, and it'd even be a valid excuse to see the hilarious Strippers vs. Zombies again..!

Last edited by ntnon; 09-09-14 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-09-14, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Japanese Gore Films (2000 - Present)
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls003325105/
Just one note about this list: Ryuhei Kitamura's Alive is not a horror film. It is very much a sci-fi actioner.

Originally Posted by walletboyniac

Personal favorites:
The Machine Girl
Meatball Machine
RoboGeisha
Elevator Trap
Big Tits Zombie
(in 3-D!)
Psycho Gothic Lolita
Mutant Girls Squad
Alien vs. Ninja
Helldriver
Dead Sushi

I saw Tokyo Zombie last year and was charmed by its easygoing goofiness.
Old 09-10-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree with ntnon's points about the Before They Were Stars theme.

Also, the more I think about it, the more the Twist Ending theme worries me. I think Darth Maher was completely right that a twist ending should actually be a twist for the viewer. Going into a film knowing it will have a twist ending can only lessen the impact of that twist.
Old 09-10-14, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had assumed Mass Marathon of the Damned was a recurring staple and with that many titles in Stores and restaurants it should be okay. However maybe there's even more range if the marathon were Masked Killers or the supernatural? Seems to me that marathon had more traditional/popular subcategories.

Supernatural horror and Quiet/soft should also work together fine.

The Full Moon day could be good for this supernatural category, too. Although I don't think any particular theme needs to essentially fall upon that day. It's just a cool event to occur during the marathon.

Oh, and I myself wouldn't mind public domain and Low Budget horror being separate. I just like these days where there is a lot of diversity in the options. Makes it fun to read what everyone ends up watching.

That's my two cents on most everything.
Old 09-10-14, 11:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Help make my job easier by solving some few theme-related issues:

1. Quite/Soft horror made the list, but so has Supernatural as a returning theme. Being that the former is essentially comprised of the latter and Psychological horror, well, it makes little sense to repeat the same thing twice. Everyone cool with combining the two and including it as a subcategory?
I think this is a fine idea.
2. Mass Marathon of the Damned also looks to be returning, and I was thinking of doing a location-based faceoff with Stores vs. Restaurants. The combined links provide more than enough for marathon viewing, and naturally it would be on a Saturday. Sound good?
At first I was pretty lukewarm about this but then I took a look at the two lists and thought yeah, this would make a good MMoftheD. So an enthusiastic yes.
Originally Posted by indiephantom
The Full Moon day could be good for this supernatural category, too. Although I don't think any particular theme needs to essentially fall upon that day. It's just a cool event to occur during the marathon.
When I first skimmed this, because of the capitalization of Full Moon, I though the suggestion was to watch a Full Moon Features movie. That wasn't it of course but I'm making that suggestion now. I know film companies are usually part of the checklist but this does tie in here. OR how about something like Witchcraft and or Rituals. It seems like many satanic rituals have to be done on the night of a full moon and I always think of witches flying on a broomstick in front of a full moon. I think it would be best to keep it general like say Witchcraft and not require the full moon to actually be a plot point.

Originally Posted by clckworang
Also, the more I think about it, the more the Twist Ending theme worries me. I think Darth Maher was completely right that a twist ending should actually be a twist for the viewer. Going into a film knowing it will have a twist ending can only lessen the impact of that twist.
I've come around to this way of thinking myself. I'd prefer not to know a twist was coming.

And finally a request. If possible, I'd like the double-feature theme to be on a weekend night. Granted, only one film is necessary, but there just may be some out there who'd want to recreate a double or triple or even more feature and that would be much easier to do on a weekend.
Old 09-10-14, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by omike

When I first skimmed this, because of the capitalization of Full Moon, I though the suggestion was to watch a Full Moon Features movie. That wasn't it of course but I'm making that suggestion now. I know film companies are usually part of the checklist but this does tie in here. OR how about something like Witchcraft and or Rituals. It seems like many satanic rituals have to be done on the night of a full moon and I always think of witches flying on a broomstick in front of a full moon. I think it would be best to keep it general like say Witchcraft and not require the full moon to actually be a plot point.
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first posted, but since the 1980s video companies thing is a go, I think your witchcrat/rituals or the earlier mentioned supernatural theme are better choices.
Old 09-10-14, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

When I first skimmed this, because of the capitalization of Full Moon, I though the suggestion was to watch a Full Moon Features movie.
Oh, please dear Lord, no.
Old 09-10-14, 01:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first posted, but since the 1980s video companies thing is a go, I think your witchcrat/rituals or the earlier mentioned supernatural theme are better choices.
Good point and I agree. Despite Chad's summary post on the previous page I forgot about the video companies topic. That's a much cooler theme anyway.
Old 09-10-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm okay with all of the theme suggestions, just let me know when I can volunteer to submit a Subset pick!
Old 09-10-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Oh, please dear Lord, no.
Nothing wrong with that (as long as you go back for the stuff they did 20 years ago).
Old 09-10-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

If anyone wants to set their DVRs tonight, IFC is airing House of 1000 Corpses, Land of the Dead, and Saw IV back to back starting at 10:30 PM EST.
Old 09-10-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Double entries for Werewolf and Full Moon films on the 8th?
Old 09-10-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So all the new themes have been chosen and I'll post 'em soon.

Originally Posted by ntnon
Something about shapeshifting and human experimentation as a whole, rather than just wolf people..?
We did do a 'were-creatures' (alongside werewolves) in 2012, which is essentially the same thing.

And finally a request. If possible, I'd like the double-feature theme to be on a weekend night. Granted, only one film is necessary, but there just may be some out there who'd want to recreate a double or triple or even more feature and that would be much easier to do on a weekend.
Already done. With that addition only one Saturday in the month is left unoccupied.

OR how about something like Witchcraft and or Rituals. It seems like many satanic rituals have to be done on the night of a full moon and I always think of witches flying on a broomstick in front of a full moon. I think it would be best to keep it general like say Witchcraft and not require the full moon to actually be a plot point.
Does that mean we should abandon devil's night? In the past it's always been satanism and demonic possession on 10/30. Does anyone care about devil's night? Should it be a mainstay?

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm okay with all of the theme suggestions, just let me know when I can volunteer to submit a Subset pick!
It's coming soon. Promise.
Old 09-11-14, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I like the Devil's Night tradition.
Old 09-11-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep Devil's Night. I also like the traditional ones.
Old 09-11-14, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know it's been selected already for another night, but the Drive-In ads would have made for a great Mass Marathon of the Damned. There are some quadruple features on that actual page that involve a good number of recently released blu-ray titles like Prom Night, The Beast Within, etc. Either way, I'm glad this is being reserved for a weekend because it's one of the themes I'm most excited about.
Old 09-11-14, 11:37 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Another vote for Devil's Night.
Old 09-11-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Ditto for keeping Devil's Night on 10/30. I've started picking up new horror titles in anticipation.
Old 09-11-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. Between figuring what themes to combine, what days they should go on, which returning favorites to bring back, what best goes with the mass marathon, what should be a mainstay, etc., I wanna throw my bloody computer through the window! Next to the post challenge tabulating, it's honestly the most infuriating part. But I do have the day off tomorrow, and I'm gonna take advantage of that by forcing myself to sit down and get this shit done before the weekend ends. It's simple as that.

I know it's been selected already for another night, but the Drive-In ads would have made for a great Mass Marathon of the Damned. There are some quadruple features on that actual page that involve a good number of recently released blu-ray titles like Prom Night, The Beast Within, etc. Either way, I'm glad this is being reserved for a weekend because it's one of the themes I'm most excited about.
It's not set in stone. If anything would make for great marathon viewing it's this, and it'd go great with some trailer compilations. Let's do it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.