DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/621059-5th-annual-august-animation-challenge-discussion-thread.html)

LJG765 07-09-14 11:38 PM

5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

5th Annual August Animation Challenge

List thread here.

Since shadokitty wasn't able to run this challenge this year, I volunteered to take it over. I plan to not change much, but let me know any suggestions or if something didn't work for you last year.

The lovely and generous Goldenwheels/Hamilton Books have volunteered prizes for the challenge, but they are yet to be determined. I'll update this post when I find out what they'll be.

On to the details:

Challenge Starts July 31st at 12:01 am local time.

Challenge ends September 1st at dawn.

Rules

Movies/TV shows should be labeled Animation from either imdb.com or allmovie.com. Other labels don't matter as long as there is at least a Animation label from one of those sites. Action/Animation would be fine.

This is the challenge where any and all types of animation is welcome, computer, hand drawn, puppetry, stop motion, etc. The entire movie/show does not need to be completely animated. Something like Roger Rabbit or a Ray Harryhausen film would generally be allowed.

If anyone has a problem with something someone watches or just wants an opinion on if it's animation or not, ask here.

Animation documentaries are allowed but not DVD featurettes/interviews that are just fluff promo pieces.

As with the other challenges, the lists must be numbered or it won't count.

Watching the movie/show with the commentary can counted as unique items.

Watching multiple versions(theatrical and director's cut) of the same movie/show will also count.

Lists

Since the general consensus seems to be for the easy counting method we will go with that. However, it is not required, so if you wish to count another way, feel free, as I will not be doing stats.

How to win

Names will be randomly selected from http://www.random.org/lists/ The top people, one prize per person, get something. Unfortunately, prizes can only go to people in the States.

Sponsors:

Hamilton Books

LJG765 07-09-14 11:38 PM

Re: 5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Official Checklist:

*one wildcard is allowed

Watch works from 3 different studios:

--- Warner Bros
--- UPA
--- Paramount
--- Fleischer Studios
--- Disney
--- Famous Studios
--- Screen Gems
--- Studio Ghibli
--- Depatie-Freleng
--- MGM Cartoon Studio

Watch works from 3 different directors:

--- Tex Avery
--- Friz Freleng
--- Chuck Jones
--- Hanna & Barbera
--- Peter Lord
--- Frank Tashlin
--- Bruce W. Timm
--- John Kricfalusi
--- Nick Park
--- Bob Clampett
--- Brothers Quay
--- Hayao Miyazaki
--- Satoshi Kon
--- Don Bluth
--- John and Faith Hubley
--- Gene Deitch

Watch 5 Winsor McKay Award Winners from the Annie Awards:

--- Max & Dave Fleischer
--- Tex Avery
--- Fritz Freleng
--- Chuck Jones
--- Walt Disney
--- Bill Hanna & William Barbera
--- Mel Blanc
--- Ub Iwerks
--- Wolfgang Reitherman
--- Sterling Holloway (actor)
--- Ray Harryhausen
--- Ralph Bakshi
--- Don Bluth
--- Genndy Tartakovsky
--- Mike Judge
--- John Lasseter
--- Tim Burton
--- Bruce Timm
--- Matt Groenig

From iCheckMovies:

Watch 2 short films fromAnnecy Festival's 100 Films for a Century of Animation
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

Watch 2 short films from ASIFA's Top 50 Animated Short Films
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

Watch 2 animated films from Golden 100 of Russian Animation
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

Watch 2 films from Filmspotting Top 100 Animated Films
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

Watch 2 Annie Awards Best Animated Feature winners
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

Watch 2 films from Japan Academy Awards' Excellent Animations list
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

Watch 2 films from The Animated Movie Guide: Top 60 Animated Features Never Theatrically Released in the United States (from Jerry Beck's book The Animated Movie Guide)
--- Film 1
--- Film 2

--- Watch a Saturn Award for Best Animation Film winner - Film 1

Watch animation from at least 9 different decades:
--- 1900 -
--- 1910 -
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch animation from at least two languages other than English:
--- First language -
--- Second language -

--- Watch an animated movie that spawned a TV spin-off OR an animated movie that was based on an animated TV show -
--- Watch a work of animated non-fiction [i.e., Waltz with Bashir, etc.] -
--- Watch an Academy Award Best Animated Feature winner -
--- Watch an Academy Award Best Short Subject (Cartoon)/Animated Short winner -

Watch animation from at least 4 different ratings:
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- NC-17 / X -
--- Unrated -

Watch animation from at least 4 of these categories:
--- Watch an anime movie or series -
--- Watch a US kid's show that originally aired on Sat mornings -
--- Puppet show -
--- Mostly or all CGI -
--- Watch 90+ minutes worth of shorts (i.e Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny) -
--- Cartoon based on a newspaper comic strip -
--- Motion Comic -

Watch animation from at least 6 different genres:
--- Action -
--- Comedy -
--- Adventure -
--- Fantasy -
--- Science Fiction -
--- Horror -
--- Mystery -
--- Western -
--- Drama -
--- Crime -
--- Romance -
--- War -

Need help with cartoons from a newspaper comic strip?

Spoiler:
Alley Oop
Baby Blues
Barney Google
Barney Google and Snuffy Smith
B.C.
Beatle Bailey
Blondie
Bloom County/Opus/Outland
The Boondocks
Broom Hilda
The Captain and the Kids (aka, The Katzenjammer Kids)
Cathy
Dennis the Menace
Dick Tracy
Dilbert
Doonsbury
Dream of the Rarebit Fiend
The Dropouts
Emmy Lou
The Family Circus
The Far Side
Flash Gordon
For Better or For Worse
Fred Basset
Garfield
Girls & Sports
Hagar the Horrible
Heathcliff
Hejji
Henry
Krazy Kat
Life in Hell
Li'l Abner
Little Jimmy
The Little King
Little Lulu
Little Nemo in Slumberland
Mandrake the Magician
Marmaduke
Moon Mullins
Mother Goose and Grimm
Mutt and Jeff
Nancy
Over the Hedge (CGI)
Ox Tales
Peanuts
The Phantom
Pogo
Popeye
Prince Valiant
Reg'lar Fellers
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Rupert Bear
Scamp
Smokey Stover
Snafu
Tarzan
Toonerville Folks (aka, Toonerville Trolley)
Tumbleweeds
Wee Pals (aka, Kid Power)
Ziggy

Spoiler:
For next year (2015), add Rankin/Bass to Studios, Add Dreamworks Animation to Studios

shadokitty 07-10-14 12:10 AM

Can't wait.

shadokitty 07-11-14 09:03 AM

I've been going through my DVD collection, and pondering what I want to watch next month. Is there anything you need help with LJG?

LJG765 07-11-14 01:20 PM

Right now, I don't think so. I'm planning on putting up the list thread a little closer to the start time. Do you see or think that I've missed anything?

I'm looking forward to this challenge as well. I'm going to focus on my Disney collection. I have a handful I haven't watched yet and many that it's been way too long since I've seen them, so I think this is the perfect time to do it. I have a few other non-Disney that I'm planning on watching as well.

shadokitty 07-11-14 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12165664)
Right now, I don't think so. I'm planning on putting up the list thread a little closer to the start time. Do you see or think that I've missed anything?

I'm looking forward to this challenge as well. I'm going to focus on my Disney collection. I have a handful I haven't watched yet and many that it's been way too long since I've seen them, so I think this is the perfect time to do it. I have a few other non-Disney that I'm planning on watching as well.

I didn't see anything that you missed. It looks good to me. Checklist looks good too, even though I don't plan to do it. I have mostly sci fi,and action cartoons. maybe work on Super Friends, and Justice League like I did last year. I'd also like to watch my new Dungeons and Dragons set when it comes, as well as revisit my Gargoyles set, and actually complete some of my anime sets.

LJG765 07-12-14 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12165696)
I didn't see anything that you missed. It looks good to me. Checklist looks good too, even though I don't plan to do it. I have mostly sci fi,and action cartoons. maybe work on Super Friends, and Justice League like I did last year. I'd also like to watch my new Dungeons and Dragons set when it comes, as well as revisit my Gargoyles set, and actually complete some of my anime sets.

Cool. :)

I have so much animation...it can be hard to narrow down to what I want to watch. I mentioned earlier I'm going Disney. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to do it-either by date or random as I feel like a particular movie or both...I have time to figure it out though. :)

shadokitty 07-12-14 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12166841)
Cool. :)

I have so much animation...it can be hard to narrow down to what I want to watch. I mentioned earlier I'm going Disney. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to do it-either by date or random as I feel like a particular movie or both...I have time to figure it out though. :)

I know what you mean, animation is one of the biggest number of titles I own. I got my Last Unicorn yesterday, though just the DVD, and not the BD like I had at one time. I also have Secret of Nimh, and Lion King.

ororama 07-13-14 02:05 PM

I started watching Science Ninja Team Gatchaman last night. One episode down, 104 plus OVAs to go. I think that I have to watch about a third of it this month if I want to finish the series by the end of next month.

I'm trying to stay away from watching too much animation during this month's Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge because I have so many live action movies and TV series available, but I have watched a couple Teen Titans episodes, and expect to watch quite a few Samurai Jack episodes.

shadokitty 07-13-14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by ororama (Post 12167306)
I started watching Science Ninja Team Gatchaman last night. One episode down, 104 plus OVAs to go. I think that I have to watch about a third of it this month if I want to finish the series by the end of next month.

I'm trying to stay away from watching too much animation during this month's Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge because I have so many live action movies and TV series available, but I have watched a couple Teen Titans episodes, and expect to watch quite a few Samurai Jack episodes.

Since over half of my sci-fi is animation, I plan to watch at least some this month.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-14-14 09:58 AM

I plan on starting with the most recent Futurama set. Not sure what I'll do after that. Maybe go through films with stop motion animation.

LJG765 07-14-14 02:46 PM

I find myself having a hard time not watching animation this month-partly because I have a couple that I really want to watch and qualify for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy challenge are Disney and partly because the ones I would consider watching early don't qualify (only animated, not a fantasy plot).

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12166846)
I know what you mean, animation is one of the biggest number of titles I own. I got my Last Unicorn yesterday, though just the DVD, and not the BD like I had at one time. I also have Secret of Nimh, and Lion King.

I watched "The Last Unicorn" last year for the first time and remember liking it, but I don't think I really need to own a copy. It may have been one of those types that you had to watch it growing up to really fall in love with it. On the other hand, I have had "The Secret of Nymh" for a while but just haven't watched it yet. Hmm, that qualifies for this month's challenge, maybe I should watch that soon...

Originally Posted by ororama (Post 12167306)

I have this problem too, I have so many things to watch that I do feel like I should focus on the live action when there is a challenge just next month for it. I kind of feel the sci-fi/fantasy one is a bit unique as it leads to watching a lot of animation along with live action. I'd say a lot of the others don't except maybe holiday a bit and the TV on DVD one.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi (Post 12167977)
I plan on starting with the most recent Futurama set. Not sure what I'll do after that. Maybe go through films with stop motion animation.

Cool. I've watched a fair amount of stop motion this month and saw a pretty good doc about Ray Harryhausen and for the first time was intrigued by it. I knew how it was done, basically, but it's hard to realize how much work goes into even just one scene using that technique just by watching the movie.

BobO'Link 07-14-14 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12168227)
...I've watched a fair amount of stop motion this month and saw a pretty good doc about Ray Harryhausen and for the first time was intrigued by it. I knew how it was done, basically, but it's hard to realize how much work goes into even just one scene using that technique just by watching the movie.

That Harryhausen doc is pretty good. I thought it would be cool so I did a bit of rudimentary stop-motion animation for a film class I took in college. It's *very* time consuming! I think I did about 20 seconds and it took the better part of a week working several hours per day. I did dual camera (one 16mm for class and a Super8 for me) which added to the time as the Super8 runs at 16 fps and 16mm at 24fps so I had to basically drop every third frame for the Super8 copy. It worked but not as well as I'd have liked. If you don't keep good notes/records it's *very* easy to get "off" and ruin hours of work! It certainly gave me a better understanding and respect for those who do it for a living!

shadokitty 07-14-14 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12168227)
Cool. I've watched a fair amount of stop motion this month and saw a pretty good doc about Ray Harryhausen and for the first time was intrigued by it. I knew how it was done, basically, but it's hard to realize how much work goes into even just one scene using that technique just by watching the movie.

I've watched a few stop motion films too this month. I've seen the original King Kong, and a couple Harryhausen films, The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, and 20 Million Miles to Earth.

LJG765 07-22-14 12:17 PM

Well, guys, it's about a week till the start of the Animation challenge! Are you prepared? :)

lisadoris 07-22-14 01:43 PM

I'm ready. My viewing list is really short this year but I'm excited about getting the ball rolling.

shadokitty 07-22-14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12176345)
Well, guys, it's about a week till the start of the Animation challenge! Are you prepared? :)

I'm more than ready :)

mrcellophane 07-22-14 03:24 PM

Let's do this thing! I just got a lot of Disney films in the mail, and I have a huge backlog of anime to watch.

LJG765 07-23-14 02:52 AM

:thumbsup: I'm glad everyone seems to be getting ready!

mrcellophane: Which Disney films did you get? Anything fun? That's what I'm going to base my challenge around. I have a few non-Disney, but mostly want to get through as many as I can. There are quite a few I've not watched in years and want to fix that!

mrcellophane 07-23-14 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12177000)
:thumbsup: I'm glad everyone seems to be getting ready!

mrcellophane: Which Disney films did you get? Anything fun? That's what I'm going to base my challenge around. I have a few non-Disney, but mostly want to get through as many as I can. There are quite a few I've not watched in years and want to fix that!

I recently joined the Disney Movie Club, and my enrollment BDs were just delivered. I got The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, The Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo and Stitch. I also got a couple films distributed by Disney: My Neighbor Totoro and Monster's Inc.. I'm very excited!

I also got Mary Poppins. Would it be eligible for the challenge?

shadokitty 07-23-14 11:31 AM

Got an early start with sci-fi eligible cartoons from the DCAU series. Stuff like Super Friends, Justice League, Batman Beyond.

LJG765 07-23-14 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 12177034)
I recently joined the Disney Movie Club, and my enrollment BDs were just delivered. I got The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, The Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo and Stitch. I also got a couple films distributed by Disney: My Neighbor Totoro and Monster's Inc.. I'm very excited!

I also got Mary Poppins. Would it be eligible for the challenge?

Cool. I've been a member for a long time-I know most people sign up and once they meet their quota, quit and then resign up, but at this point I buy so few from them (mostly exclusive titles) that I don't bother. I love the pins you get, though.

Looking at the rules already, I'd say "Mary Poppins" works. It might be stretching it a little as most of the animation is in the sidewalk chalk scene. But there doesn't seem to be a limit on how long the animation has to last...So yeah, go for it. :)

Originally Posted by LJG765 (Post 12164087)
[B][COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="6"]This is the challenge where any and all types of animation is welcome, computer, hand drawn, puppetry, stop motion, etc. The entire movie/show does not need to be completely animated. Something like Roger Rabbit or a Ray Harryhausen film would generally be allowed.

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12177279)
Got an early start with sci-fi eligible cartoons from the DCAU series. Stuff like Super Friends, Justice League, Batman Beyond.

I used to watch "Super Friends" a lot. Glad you're having fun gearing up for the challenge! "Wonder Twin powers activate in the form of a bucket of water!" (my favorite of theirs.)

shadokitty 07-25-14 11:00 AM

Been watching some He-Man and the Masters of the Universe today for the Sci-Fi Challenge and get an early start for the Animation Challenge.

Ash Ketchum 07-25-14 01:04 PM

Anime series I started to watch in past challenges (either Animation, Historical, Sci-fi or TV) and never finished even though I wanted to:

Armored Trooper Votoms (1983)
Basilisk (2005)
Brain Powered (1998)
Le Chevalier d’Eon (2006)
Combattler V (1976)
Cutie Honey (1973)
Dancougar (1985)
Digimon Data Squad (2007)
Dog of Flanders (1975)
Gantz (2004)
Ghost In The Shell Stand Alone Complex (2002)
Glass no Kamen (2005)
Gungrave (2003)
Heidi, Girl of the Alps (1974)
Kaze no Yojimbo (2001)
The Mysterious Cities Of Gold (1982)
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water (1990)
Nana (2006)
Nodame Cantabile (2007)
Patlabor: The Mobile Police (1989)
Rose of Versailles (1979)
Sakura Wars (2000)
Space Adventure Cobra (1982)
Star Knight Tekkaman Blade (1992)
The Trapp Family Story (1991)
Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl! (1989)
Yukikaze (2002)

Others in my collection that I want to tackle:

Armored Fleet Dairugger (1982)
Beast King Golion (1981)
Blue Seed (1994-95)
Captain Harlock, Space Pirate (1978)
Boys Be… (2000)
Boys Over Flowers (1996)
D.N.Angel (2003)
Dororo (1969)
Eden’s Bowy (1999)
Escaflowne (1996)
Fruits Basket (2001)
Galaxy Express 999 (1978)
Great Dangaioh (2001)
Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick (1997)
Hanaukyo Maid Team: La Verite (2004)
Inuyasha (2000)
Lupin The 3rd (1971)
Marmalade Boy (1994)
Peach Girl (2005)
Rahxephon (2002)
Slayers (1995)
Space Runaway Ideon (1980)
The Wallflower (2006)

(As you can see, my work is cut out for me.)

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 07-25-14 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12179298)
Been watching some He-Man and the Masters of the Universe today for the Sci-Fi Challenge and get an early start for the Animation Challenge.

Old or new series