Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Old 07-31-14, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Now that the challenge has started, I wouldn't add any new categories. There is already a "Mostly or all CGI" one.

I probably wouldn't count Pacific Rim. More movies than not use CGI these days.
Old 07-31-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
--- Main character is CGI (i.e., Optimus Prime in "Transformers: Age of Extinction")
--- CGI/Live Action hybrid (i.e., "Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace")
Rumor has it that this sort of animation was fine in the earlier days of the challenge. CGI that was landscapes and explosions wasn't what was had in mind but different animation techniques(puppetry, CGI, etc) related to characters in a film were good to go.

For non-cgi examples, something like Them! would could(because of the ants if that wasn't obvious ).

Rumor also has it that the guy that originally started the challenge was more interested in finding a way to watch '80s and older horror/sci-fi monster films where they used puppetry to animate monsters and not so much so he could watch straight up cartoons (the bastard).

I didn't even realize the challenge had already started but I started watching Them! by coincidence. After that I want to do the Lego movie and then nothing specific comes to mind.
Old 07-31-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Rumor has it that this sort of animation was fine in the earlier days of the challenge. CGI that was landscapes and explosions wasn't what was had in mind but different animation techniques(puppetry, CGI, etc) related to characters in a film were good to go.

For non-cgi examples, something like Them! would could(because of the ants if that wasn't obvious ).

Rumor also has it that the guy that originally started the challenge was more interested in finding a way to watch '80s and older horror/sci-fi monster films where they used puppetry to animate monsters and not so much so he could watch straight up cartoons (the bastard).

I didn't even realize the challenge had already started but I started watching Them! by coincidence. After that I want to do the Lego movie and then nothing specific comes to mind.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the ants in THEM! are not animated. They're mechanical creations, manipulated by a crew on camera in real time with the actors in the same frame. There isn't a single frame of animation in the entire movie.
Old 07-31-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Animated through the power of mechanics. Mechanical puppets, if you will, instead of with strings. That's how I was seeing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animati...ical_animation
Old 07-31-14, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had thought about it sooner, I would have suggested adding Rankin/Bass to the Studios list. Lots of great animated (and Animagic) shows to choose from there.
Old 07-31-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoutjunk
If I had thought about it sooner, I would have suggested adding Rankin/Bass to the Studios list. Lots of great animated (and Animagic) shows to choose from there.
Oh, that was a good idea. I'll try to add it to the checklist at the end of the month so it gets added for next year. I want to say it was suggested last year towards the middle but I didn't think of it either!

Ok, I agree, let's nix the CGI categories and I'll add a wildcard to this challenge so that if someone really, really wants to add Pacific Rim or another movie like it they can, but I'm making the call that that isn't really following the spirit of the rule, IMO.

Thanks for the reasoning behind the rule, though, this is my 3rd Animation challenge, so I wasn't around for the beginning and how things were added.
Old 07-31-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's definitely a category of something that could be abused if people wanted to really start stretching things.
Old 07-31-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Rules

Movies/TV shows should be labeled Animation from either imdb.com or allmovie.com. Other labels don't matter as long as there is at least a Animation label from one of those sites. Action/Animation would be fine.
Actually, wouldn't this rule negate all this debate?
Old 07-31-14, 07:44 PM

Just fyi on the checklist, the icheck list for the Saturn awards hasn't been updated in a few years so Frankenweenie and Frozen would also count.
Old 07-31-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
Actually, wouldn't this rule negate all this debate?
Except if you read the second paragraph: "This is the challenge where any and all types of animation is welcome, computer, hand drawn, puppetry, stop motion, etc. The entire movie/show does not need to be completely animated. Something like Roger Rabbit or a Ray Harryhausen film would generally be allowed."

It allows for the movie to be not all nominated. Especially the Ray Harryhausen part-his movies don't have the animation genre at IMDb (or at least, the one I looked up didn't). But, I've made the ruling-I added a wildcard so if someone really wants to watch one that is borderline, they can count it that way. Hopefully that solves the problem!

Originally Posted by HyperWeather
Just fyi on the checklist, the icheck list for the Saturn awards hasn't been updated in a few years so Frankenweenie and Frozen would also count.
Thanks, that is good to know!
Old 08-01-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Except if you read the second paragraph: "This is the challenge where any and all types of animation is welcome, computer, hand drawn, puppetry, stop motion, etc. The entire movie/show does not need to be completely animated. Something like Roger Rabbit or a Ray Harryhausen film would generally be allowed."

It allows for the movie to be not all nominated. Especially the Ray Harryhausen part-his movies don't have the animation genre at IMDb (or at least, the one I looked up didn't). But, I've made the ruling-I added a wildcard so if someone really wants to watch one that is borderline, they can count it that way. Hopefully that solves the problem!

Thanks, that is good to know!
I'm not trying to start anything, so I hope nobody takes this the wrong way but I think it's safe to say that most people would allow Roger Rabbit. The only difference (you get what I really mean) between that and Transformers is how the the rabbit and a transformer are animated. Replace Bumblebee with a Looney Tunes looking transformer in the Transformer series and now it's no different looking than Roger Rabbit. The only difference is in the style of animation of a main character.

Last night I watched Iron Man and Captain America Heroes United. If you're into that sort of thing, it's at least worth a rental.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 08-01-14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-01-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I started off with Lilo & Stitch and Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch which I recently acquired on BD. I have a soft spot for the early 2000s Disney films. They were shifting from epic, sweeping narratives (dinosaurs! Chinese history! adaptations of 18th and 19th century novels!) to smaller genre stories, so we got the weird block of minor Disney films that consisted of The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, and Treasure Planet. I love them all, and it was nice to watch a film I hadn't seen in quite some time.

I didn't realize until I was watching it that I had never seen Lilo & Stitch 2. I'm sure I'd seen part of it on the Disney Channel, but I didn't remember it at all. It was cute and charming, and the animation in the original film is so simplistic that this doesn't look like that much of a downgrade.

Now that I'm in the mood for quirky Disney (still not sure why I picked up Lilo when The Little Mermaid and The Jungle Book were sitting right there), I may open up my Emperor's set later today!
Old 08-01-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just got home a little while ago, and since you had to pay for wi fi at the airport, didn't start the challenge till I got home. I started off with an anime from the 60s I had always heard of, but never seen on the Manga Channel on Roku. I watched "Jungle Thief" from "Kimba, The White Lion." I enjoyed the show. I could see where "The Lion King" gets its inspiration.
Old 08-01-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I started off with Lilo & Stitch and Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch which I recently acquired on BD. I have a soft spot for the early 2000s Disney films. They were shifting from epic, sweeping narratives (dinosaurs! Chinese history! adaptations of 18th and 19th century novels!) to smaller genre stories, so we got the weird block of minor Disney films that consisted of The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, and Treasure Planet. I love them all, and it was nice to watch a film I hadn't seen in quite some time.
I've been meaning to watch these for awhile now, saw this and decided tonight was the night. I forgot how much I really like the Hawaiian flavored music (mixed with Elvis) in it. First watch for the sequel for me as well. I have to say it kind of played like a long episode from one of the TV shows they had. Also, why did no one ever discipline Myrtle? She always starts the fights!

I haven't watched a few of the minor ones around this time frame too, so hope to get to them this challenge. Though, I think most of the ones I'm missing at this point are the sequels. I liked Mulan and the Emperor's New Groove. I think some of them get a bad rap that they don't deserve just because they weren't made in the heyday. Emperor is pretty funny, actually.

I just watched another one that not many people liked, Chicken Little. I thought it was kind of cute. I laughed in quite a few places. Greatest Disney movie ever? No. Worst movie ever? No. I'd watch it again, though.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Just got home a little while ago, and since you had to pay for wi fi at the airport, didn't start the challenge till I got home. I started off with an anime from the 60s I had always heard of, but never seen on the Manga Channel on Roku. I watched "Jungle Thief" from "Kimba, The White Lion." I enjoyed the show. I could see where "The Lion King" gets its inspiration.
Hope you had fun at the air show! Sucks that you had to pay for wi-fi at the airport. The last time I flew, it was free, but I suppose it depends on the airport. :/ I've always wanted to watch "Kimba" but I haven't hunted it down.
Old 08-02-14, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hope you had fun at the air show! Sucks that you had to pay for wi-fi at the airport. The last time I flew, it was free, but I suppose it depends on the airport. :/ I've always wanted to watch "Kimba" but I haven't hunted it down.
Thanks, I enjoyed myself. I just wish "Kimba" had started with episode 1 instead of 6.
Old 08-02-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started today with a movie from my Netflix queue, "Yobi, The Five-Tailed Fox" It has an anime style, which reminds me very much of a Miyazaki film, in its writing and plot, but it is not anime. It is in fact a Korean movie, but still very good, and I recommend it.
Old 08-02-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm playing catch-up with season 3 of The Legend of Korra. So far this season is much stronger than last season. I don't understand why Nick pulled the show from the schedule. I'm still a few episodes behind but it can't get that bad that quickly.
Old 08-02-14, 10:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

A little late, but I am in. Since I have a huge animation backlog, I probably won't try to complete the checklist, but it does look fun so it might tempt me. Still debating trying to watch all of the Gatchaman set this month or not. I could do it, but I probably will go for a more varied group of things.

Apologies if I am not supposed to post something like this (I get nothing from someone using them), but I have a bunch of Crunchyroll 48-Hour Guest Passes people can use if so inclined to watch some anime with member privileges without the commercials and delays.

XK94GXE85JX
3PZPL7EYPAA
53QWV8V4GVE
UFPHMFMLE3L

Last edited by malazar; 08-02-14 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-03-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I just bought a book today that breaks down every episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus and discusses what in the day it was satiring and the people it was mocking, etc. Do you think there's enough animation in each episode of MPFC that I could count them in this challenge if I watched them as I read the book? If not, I could wait for comedy month, but as I just got the book, I'd like to get at it.
Old 08-03-14, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Thanks, I enjoyed myself. I just wish "Kimba" had started with episode 1 instead of 6.
If you like "Kimba," you may like "Leo the Lion," the 1966 follow-up series with Leo, an adult Kimba, who fathers a son of his own. It was subjected to a less-than-adequate English dub job, but the qualities of the story and animation and the original background music really shine through and it's not as preachy as Kimba. I have uploaded six episodes of "Leo" to one of my YouTube channels. I cut out the tacked-on opening and closing sequences which were plastered over with new themes by the English dub crew, horrendous '80s synth jobs.

Here's my favorite, "Leo Becomes a Father":

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O2aZ9eBhcBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please go to my channel page and check out the other episodes. I've also posted four episodes of the anime version of "Little Women," including a 1980 one-hour TV special.
Old 08-03-14, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If you like "Kimba," you may like "Leo the Lion," the 1966 follow-up series with Leo, an adult Kimba, who fathers a son of his own. It was subjected to a less-than-adequate English dub job, but the qualities of the story and animation and the original background music really shine through and it's not as preachy as Kimba. I have uploaded six episodes of "Leo" to one of my YouTube channels. I cut out the tacked-on opening and closing sequences which were plastered over with new themes by the English dub crew, horrendous '80s synth jobs.

Here's my favorite, "Leo Becomes a Father":

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O2aZ9eBhcBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Please go to my channel page and check out the other episodes. I've also posted four episodes of the anime version of "Little Women," including a 1980 one-hour TV special.

Thanks. I'll check them out.
Old 08-03-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was in the mood for some super hero cartoons today, and since I had "Superman The Animated Series", I watched the 3 part pilot, "The Last Son of Krypton".
Old 08-03-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm not sure how involved I will be in this challenge as this is a busy month for me. However, I wanted to join the challenge since I have a backlog of animated and anime films/TV shows that I need to watch and clear.

I started the challenge yesterday with some episodes of Scoobie Doo, Where are You! on Netflix Canada. I used to love this show as a kid but I now find it boring and repetitive.
Old 08-03-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm not sure how involved I will be in this challenge as this is a busy month for me. However, I wanted to join the challenge since I have a backlog of animated and anime films/TV shows that I need to watch and clear.

I started the challenge yesterday with some episodes of Scoobie Doo, Where are You! on Netflix Canada. I used to love this show as a kid but I now find it boring and repetitive.
When I was in Paris in the first week of July, I watched "Scooby Doo" on the hotel TV--dubbed in French:
Old 08-03-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

LEGO Batman is hands-down (one of) the very best Batman adaptations, and probably the best overall film. Tone, balance (comedy/action/peril), character interplay, cameos, cast... it's really very well done.

The Flying Machine is a very odd film. It's a mix of classical piano recital, mini-lecture on Chopin and mild fantasy escapism. With added Heather Graham as a bad parent who learns the error of her ways. Through dancing.

Watching Snow White again, it's easy to forget how technically adept it is. And to overlook all the small touches - Grumpy complaining that there's "dirty work" afoot after she cleans up; the vultures circling for Snow White's demise, but then following the Witch/Queen instead - in favour of focusing on the perhaps more dated or questionable aspects. (On which note, it's interesting to consider that, whether she should or should not conform to stereotype, she is a Princess who is at least willing/able to cook and clean herself..! ) The ending seems oddly rushed, with it's 'cut to title card' between apple and Prince...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.