DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How Many DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by big e
Unlike comic books and video games, which I do like to reread/replay, I rarely feel like rewatching movies once I've seen them.
I'm the exact opposite. I almost never re-read books, haven't bought a video game in years, but re-watch movies and TV shows all the time. I also don't collect DVD's or Blu-rays in the truest sense of the word - I consider them utilitarian - I buy them because (as of right now) they are still the best way to enjoy the films and shows that I like.
Old 06-22-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Am I the only person who doesn't think that..? Personally, and from multiple friends and family members I HAVE regretted getting rid of things. At least a dozen people have pointedly had to re-buy things they regretted getting rid of... and often paid more for what they considered an error...
No, you're not. If I were to "thin my collection" I'd agonize over every title - even those I don't like as much. Over the years I've only put 3 or 4 blind buys in the "get rid of it" pile. The rest of the titles in that pile are duplicates I've picked up for one reason or another - accidentally purchased a duplicate, upgraded to a better version, or a TV season or two where I later purchased the full series. Like Ash I need to get that pile out of the house - either pass them off on the kids or something. I just don't quite know which direction I want to persue.
Originally Posted by ntnon
I also re-watch at least as much as I watch for the first time (I suppose watching with a child helps with that!), and find many first-time watches are things I can definitely see myseld watching again..
I rewatch stuff all the time. Sometimes it's with one of the grandkids where I'm introducing them to a title or we're rewatching a favorite, but there are many times it's just me. Even with blind buys I only purchase stuff that I think I'll like so it's rare that I get anything I'll never want to rewatch.
Old 06-22-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

4k-ish
Old 06-22-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There are smart ways to thin the herd and dumb ways. Some people get too zealous in their haste to clear space and dump stuff they'll regret.
True enough. I guess it's just finding that middle ground.
Old 06-22-14, 07:15 PM

I think you can be a movie buff or film collector and not have to own 100s of movies.
Oh, certainly. And it's good to have diverse voices... I just presume there are other film places that are less DVD (i.e. physical media; ergo collection) oriented. It just struck me as curious, that's all..

The only DVDs I've ever regretted selling off were my ADV sets of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, but since Sailor Moon is being re-released starting later this year, I don't feel too bad about it.

When I dump movies, I'm not just pulling random movies out of my collection; they're typically movies I've been thinking about getting rid of for a while. Lots of them are blind buys I purchased years ago where I just wanted to check the movie out (which Netflix has helped me avoid) or they're movies I just fell out of love with.
I'm sure it must help when disposing of things to have piles of blind buys to start with..!
Old 06-22-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Around 625 movies and TV Sets. I don't count discs, that would - to me - seem ridiculous. I count stuff like "The Sopranos Complete Series" as only ONE. Also "JAG - Collectors Edition" is ONE, not 10. So, different people count in different ways. There are some things that I could easily get rid of and never look back.
Old 06-22-14, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
No, you're not. If I were to "thin my collection" I'd agonize over every title - even those I don't like as much. Over the years I've only put 3 or 4 blind buys in the "get rid of it" pile. The rest of the titles in that pile are duplicates I've picked up for one reason or another - accidentally purchased a duplicate, upgraded to a better version, or a TV season or two where I later purchased the full series.
So there's two of us at least..! I have a small third duplicate pile: child's copy - for the car, or for small fingers to pick up. The pile is smaller than it used to be thanks to Disney's combo packs. A brilliant invention - double the discs means there can be a "real" (blu) copy and a 'spare' (DVD - car, disposable if need be) copy. Very handy.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I rewatch stuff all the time. Sometimes it's with one of the grandkids where I'm introducing them to a title or we're rewatching a favorite, but there are many times it's just me. [B]Even with blind buys I only purchase stuff that I think I'll like so it's rare that I get anything I'll never want to rewatch.[b]
Quite. I watch a handful of things for the challenges that afterwards I doubt I'll deliberately rewatch... but most/all come from Amazon Prime or the library. If I buy something blind it's because I'm confident - rather than just optimistic - I'll like it. And, fortunately (if cluttersome) it's usually well-founded.
Old 06-22-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Shout! Factory has stayed in business with a lot of purchases from myself, some old Nick shows and Transformers sets. If they continue to give good releases....Salute Your Shorts, YCDTOTV, Dino-Riders...would love those, they'll keep me as a customer.
Old 06-22-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
According to Film Aficionado, I'm up to 4,205, which counts every package as one item. If you break it down further, I'm up to 5,348 titles and exactly 6,600 discs. About 400 of that first figure are Blu-rays.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now hell-bent to get rid of some of this crap.
My collection was nearly as large as yours is now and I was already running out of space in a guest bedroom. In the end, it just started feeling impractical not to start thinning it down. While painful, I actually went ahead with selling off about a third of my discs a couple months ago. I only averaged about fifty cent each, but most of it was $1-$3 pawn shop/yard sale/Big Lots finds that I'd only watched once (if that).

Maybe I got a tad overzealous, as I do regret selling a few dozen titles in particular. Of course, I have to stop and tell myself that I rarely made time to watch them when I had them. After doing some quick math, I realized that going through one disc a day would take me over 17 years! That's nearly as long as the DVD format has been in existence. I've also put the kibosh on impulse buys and haven't purchase a DVD/BD in nearly four months.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-22-14 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-24-14, 11:39 AM

I got up to about 600 dvds at one point. Then I decided to sell off movies i wasn't going to watch again.

Sold off about 300 dvds.

I have mostly comedies and fun movies now. Alongside favorite dramas, etc.. The Godfather trilogy, star wars, indy, etc..

Much pickier now with my movies. Only buying blu rays now i find for 5$ and that are movies i love and will watch over and over.

289 dvds per dvd profiler, maybe a dozen or so my wife's.. :-0
Old 07-05-14, 07:44 AM
Cool New Member

I had over a thousand and now have just 10 in the cases and a few handfuls in a dvd/cd wallet. Felt so good to relieve myself of all the titles. I ran out of space and spent more time deciding what to watch than actually watching anything. There was a time that was ok. I loved looking at the cover art and reading all the booklets. And let's face it, some of us treated these like trophy collections showing them off and hoping to spark lively discussion over the which was consummate Kurosawa or the merits of Godfather I vs Godfather II. All good stuff, something collectors of anything do.

After awhile though I needed to reclaim space and minimize. I still loved all the movies but did not see the need to own each one. I was lucky because I unloaded most of mine years ago when brick and mortars would give you a good price on your used stuff. To this day I don't miss or regret getting rid of any of them.
Old 07-05-14, 07:47 AM
Cool New Member

And I'll add to that by saying I realized there is a difference between being a movie buff vs a collector. I'm more in the movie buff/fan category and since there are so many options these days for viewing content did I really need to own the dvd? The answer is no.
Old 07-05-14, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by donniemac
And I'll add to that by saying I realized there is a difference between being a movie buff vs a collector. I'm more in the movie buff/fan category and since there are so many options these days for viewing content did I really need to own the dvd? The answer is no.
That's where I ended up as well. I enjoy movies, I watch to watch them yet really don't need to own them any longer (maybe a handful at best) Like you say, many options on how we can revisit a film. I also noticed things changing over the last two to three years. The most I saw something the more time I needed before I felt like watching it again.

I have some films I have not seen in five years that I still don't need to see again yet because I have seen it enough times. There is just too many movies and shows, content I have yet to view for me to keep watching the same films.

The magic number seems to be twice with the huge favorites. See at the theater then maybe a year or so later and then all is well for some time.
Old 07-06-14, 12:31 AM

I more than likely have one of the smallest collections here, based on some of the photos (which I greatly admire and enjoy) I've seen posted here. I've used a lot of discretion in making purchases and based what I've read here about storage issues, glad I've taken this route. Have I made purchases that I have yet to watch.. absolutely. But generally as a rule I've made purchases based on "must have" & "I love this", which seems to have worked for me. I can easily double or even triple my collection before even thinking that storage will be an issue. I love collecting..and looking forward to expand my collection for many years ahead.
Old 07-06-14, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

193 DVDs/BDs. The DVDs are the Walt Disney Treasures, Mondo Cane, and The Best of Modern Marvels. Everything else is BD except the TV series not available on BD i.e. Monk and House, M.D.

I've just finished getting everything I want to get, so I went through a spree but now don't see myself buying a whole lot more, just a sporadic purchase here and there. Got the TV shows I wanted to own (Monk, House, M.D., CSI, ER, etc., Friends, etc., the only exception being X-Files because it has been announced on BD within the next 2-3 years) and movie sets (Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Resident Evil, etc.).

That # includes pre-orders already made: Twin Peaks BD, Halloween Deluxe set, Exorcist set, the 5 WB Luxe DVDs coming out, GWTW, Ghostbusters 1+2, and the Leprechaun collection.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 07-06-14 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-07-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

16k in films. I've gotten much pickier in what I get and have been getting rid of things lately that aren't something I'd want to watch again.
Old 12-24-15, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As of last count, I'm at 400 but am looking to sell off/give a bunch away.
Old 12-29-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Somewhere around 4000
Old 12-30-15, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by edytwinky
As of last count, I'm at 400 but am looking to sell off/give a bunch away.
I was going through my DVD book last night and I just have a ton of DVDs I upgraded to BD. They have next to no value. Thinking about donating them to the VA Hospital or something. I'd rather someone get some enjoyment out of them than a $1 a pop.
Old 12-30-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

According to Film AF, I have 1708 titles. Or 6266 disks.
Old 12-30-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Adding in a few Xmas gifts, combined DVDs and Blus according to Film AF is 1358 titles (how do you see discs?)