Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I been in the middle of putting my collection in binders and wanted to do a couple more boxes tonight so i took a break from the challenge and watched the purge in the background.

going thru my collection def put me in the mood for octobers challenge
Old 05-03-14, 01:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Watched M Squad, a late '50s cop show set in Chicago starring Lee Marvin, for the first time in more than a month. Its only real flaw is that it probably should have been an hour show rather than a half hour show. It moves quickly and sticks to the point.

I've been eager to start into Murdoch Mysteries for a couple of months, since I first checked out its subject matter. So far, so good.

Epitafios remains compelling.
Old 05-03-14, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've always enjoyed Little House on the Prairie. I own A New Beginning season on DVD, and may watch it next month for the Historical challenge.
Just saw this...sorry! I only have season 1 right now, still a bit torn if I'm going to try to get the rest. I'm enjoying watching them, but not sure I'm enjoying them enough to get all the seasons.

One thing that is annoying me is that there are side plots that are set up and then never finished. Nothing major, but like the last one I watched, "Mr. Edward's Homecoming." The post mistress is set up by Edwards to his boss as a drinker. The boss several times sees her and thinks she's drinking alcohol (she not) but then never get to the punch line where he figures that out. A previous episode had something like that too, where you're left wondering what happened at the end of the episode. Hoping this clears up as the season goes on!
Old 05-03-14, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Started today by finishing Disc 1 of Season 1 of Ancient Aliens. Didn't get anything in last night, as I was tired and fell asleep before the golf match I was watching was over.
Old 05-03-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Don't judge me!

I told you I had to watch what was on my floor or in my dresser drawer! I just watched Katy Perry The Movie: Part of Me. The 'judgy' part is that I watched it alone, and just like kissing a girl, I liked it!
Old 05-03-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched an episode of The Life of Mammals about the mammals that spend their lives in the trees on Netflix earlier this morning, followed by another episode of Ancient Aliens. Only 2 more episodes in Season 1, but then, there are only 5 episodes in the first season.
Old 05-03-14, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started my Musicals Challenge with The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (or as I like to call it, "The Best Little Ho-Hos in Texas"). I'd seen bits and pieces before, but I'd never seen the whole thing. It was pretty good, but I wasn't expecting the nudity in it. Guess that's why it was R-Rated! I still prefer Dolly's simple, understated version of "I Will Always Love You" over Whitney Houston's over the top, slam-you-over-the-head rendition.

I then watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. I liked this too, even if Marilyn did steal from Madonna. (I'm kidding of course. I know "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" came years before "Material Girl".) I was fascinated by the fact that Marilyn's character was so unapologetically a gold digger, even at the end of the movie when her prospective groom asks if she's marrying him for his money. "No," she replies in her usual breathy manner, "I'm marrying you for your father's money!"

I went from this to Moulin Rouge, not knowing that "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" was performed in this movie as well. What an interesting, creative, pretentious, overblown film that was! I don't want to give the impression that I didn't like it. I did, especially the way they snuck pop songs in there. Was this originally released in 3D? This would have been awesome to watch that way.
Old 05-03-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Don't judge me!

I told you I had to watch what was on my floor or in my dresser drawer! I just watched Katy Perry The Movie: Part of Me. The 'judgy' part is that I watched it alone, and just like kissing a girl, I liked it!
No judgement here. I haven't seen that particular film, but I'm a pretty big fan of Katy Perry. Maybe I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by wayoutjunk
I started my Musicals Challenge with The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (or as I like to call it, "The Best Little Ho-Hos in Texas"). I'd seen bits and pieces before, but I'd never seen the whole thing. It was pretty good, but I wasn't expecting the nudity in it. Guess that's why it was R-Rated! I still prefer Dolly's simple, understated version of "I Will Always Love You" over Whitney Houston's over the top, slam-you-over-the-head rendition.

I then watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes with Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell. I liked this too, even if Marilyn did steal from Madonna. (I'm kidding of course. I know "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" came years before "Material Girl".) I was fascinated by the fact that Marilyn's character was so unapologetically a gold digger, even at the end of the movie when her prospective groom asks if she's marrying him for his money. "No," she replies in her usual breathy manner, "I'm marrying you for your father's money!"

I went from this to Moulin Rouge, not knowing that "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" was performed in this movie as well. What an interesting, creative, pretentious, overblown film that was! I don't want to give the impression that I didn't like it. I did, especially the way they snuck pop songs in there. Was this originally released in 3D? This would have been awesome to watch that way.
Dammit! Now I want to watch musicals. I love all three of those films, and I need to add Best Little Whorehouse... to my collection. I cannot believe that I don't own it. My favorite of the three is Moulin Rouge which is totally pretentious and overblown, but both those aspects actually work for me. I wasn't lucky enough to see it in the theater, so the first time I watched it was on VHS on an impossibly small television at a friend's house. Needless to say, I bought it on DVD as soon as I could.
Old 05-03-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Yesterday, I watched "Marge in Chains", a season four episode of The Simpsons. Helen Lovejoy testifies against Marge and helps get her sent to prison for shoplifting. After Springfield realizes that they desperately need Marge, Helen declares that she will now only use her gossip for good, not evil. It's an enjoyable episode with some great bits: Mr. Burns attempting to escape a flu epidemic only to find Homer in his safe room, Bart willing his body to not fight infection, Marge bonding with her fellow inmates, and (of course) Helen's gleeful, gossip-laden testimony.

I also watched The Eighth Color of the Rainbow (2004), a Brazilian film about an eleven-year-old boy who travels to the big city to sell a goat so he can buy his grandmother's medication. The best thing about the film was the central character who acted like a typical kid. He keeps almost selling the goat, only to back out because he loves the goat. The kid meets colorful characters, and I feel like the film painted an interesting picture of Brazil's rural and cosmopolitan areas.
Old 05-03-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't judge me!

No judgment here either. Don't know the movie, but I enjoy her music.
Old 05-03-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the lack of judgement! Of course I was just kidding about being judged. But if you like her or her music, I think you'll like her more after seeing it. I bought the 3D blu-ray for under $20 a month or so ago and hadn't put it away yet. I love the song Dark Horse so figured I should give her a chance.

I followed it with Teenage Caveman (2002), that I had out since last year's Drive-In challenge on a spool in the drawer. NOT worth the time to watch. Definitely only worth watching during that challenge if you want to feel good about watching it.

Now I'm starting Ed Wood's Bride of the Monster that I got for $3 last month at a liquiidator's. Didn't get around to watching on time for that challenge, but it's still on the pile so I'm watching it now. It's only 70 minutes, but I have to leave for the night soon so might not get all the way through it today.
Old 05-03-14, 03:57 PM

For my next two movies in my Musicals Challenge, I watched the original The Music Man with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones, followed by the 2003 remake with Matthew Broderick and Kristin Chenoweth. Preston really doesn't have a strong singing voice and he doesn't do much dancing in this show, but his patter is terrific and he has this magnetic presence about him that makes you believe he could flimflam an entire town on his own.

Broderick, on the other hand, is a better singer and a much better dancer, but I had problems believing him in the part. The biggest problem I had with the 2003 version is that (despite the good performances all around) everybody in it (other than the kids) seemed too young to me. There's a line in the show where Marian (Chenoweth) goes to see Hill (Broderick) on the footbridge, a place often used for romantic meetings. He tells her she's late, and she tells her she's not. He says, "No I mean you're 26 years late" because she'd never met a boy there. At the time this was filmed Chenoweth was in her mid-30s, so this line doesn't work. The guys that formed the barbershop quartet (that were supposed to be the school board) looked like they were still in college (although they sang very well). I guess it seemed like a good idea to cast Broderick in the role, considering he played Ferris Bueller, one of the biggest con men of that generation, but it just seemed too soon to me. Maybe if they did the show now (or in another 5-10 years) with the same cast it would work better.

Last edited by wayoutjunk; 05-03-14 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-03-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished Season 1 of Ancient Aliens. Now to decide what my next Documentary set will be.
Old 05-04-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started today with an interesting show about animal rescues on a local programming block of our CW station.
Old 05-04-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sharktrager
I've not watched VOYAGER much, just the odd episode here and there. I am part-way through a marathon rewatch of all Star Trek at the moment though, currently on Season 2 of Next Gen. I don't rush it, just an episode here and there, and am enjoying it thoroughly. However I'd love to be fully up-to-date as I then intend to read the post-series novels!
ALL of them...?! Or "just" the new ones...?
Old 05-04-14, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've always liked Voyager more than some of the others, especially TNG (as I've mentioned before, probably my least favorite Trek series).
I've still barely seen any Star Trek and no Enterprise, but I think between the other three I'm hard-pressed to pick a favourite. At present I think DS9 has the best character interactions, arcs and cohesion, TNG has the better actors, most believable core crew (and seems mostly to stay true to them), while VOY overall has the best plots and ideas.

Certainly I think Voyager does the best job at tackling the sort of hard questions Roddenberry wanted the series' to do. Possibly because it was the forgotten series after the success of Next Generation and the deliberate attempt to make Deep Space Nine different enough from that, that Voyager seems to have been... slightly left out.

I think - although it changes, and the list is ultimately very long - that Lwaxanna, Garak, The Doctor, Naomi Wildman and Ensign Ro are probably my favourite characters... but it may help that only one of them is a 'main' cast member, so the others' more brief appearances heighten their episodes.
Old 05-04-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

All this Trek talk makes me want to watch some more episodes! I watched the Time Travel set a couple weeks ago and it just made me want to watch more as well. I may have to add it to my watch list if I get some time after watching what I have planned. On disc 3 of Little House. I dare anyone to watch "The Raccoon" and NOT cry at the end!
Old 05-05-14, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon
ALL of them...?! Or "just" the new ones...?
The 'new' ones that follow on from the end of the series. I already dip in and out of the 'old' ones but am saving the 'new' ones until I get there chronologically with my rewatch.
Old 05-05-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started to watch Xtreme Rules 2014 on WWE Network last night, but I was dead tired, and was out like a light by 8:30. I wonder how long before it'll be in the PPV archives. Starting today with NHRA ProNationals Qualifying on ESPN3 On Demand.
Old 05-05-14, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sharktrager
The 'new' ones that follow on from the end of the series. I already dip in and out of the 'old' ones but am saving the 'new' ones until I get there chronologically with my rewatch.
I occasionally wonder whether I should attempt to watch all the series' in "proper" chronological order... skipping around by watching the flashback episodes (DS9's Pilot, "Trials and Tribble-ations", etc.) twice, and intermingling TNG, DS9 and VOY by stardate. But then I think that I'd wind up confusing myself..!
Old 05-05-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On Saturday, actually got through all of Bride of the Monster. It was great! Definitely worth the $3. Gotta love Ed Wood for so many things:
  • absolutely the worst use of stock footage
  • creature effects that are so fake it is hilarious. I'm sure when those actors are pulling the arms of the creature around themselves and writhing like they're in pain, they must be saying to themselves, "how did I get into this? I'm calling my agent as soon as he says 'Cut!'."
  • Bella's extremely overacted performances! Gotta love Bella for trying so hard to make it a good movie
  • Completely misleading movie title and poster art
  • walls that sway when the actors bump into them too hard
  • actors' heads in head shots that are facing the completely wrong way from the action they are supposed to be witnessing
... of course, the list goes on and on.
Interesting how a movie this bad can be so enjoyable to watch, but a movie like Teenage Cavemen (2002) can be a complete bore and chore to watch.

I also squeezed in The Machinist before leaving town for the night. I had picked this one up last month on Blu-ray for about $5. Fortunately, I had completely forgot how the movie turned out from my first viewing when it was first released and was again baffled as to what was going on until the end. I'm sure I wouldn't fall for it a third time however. Great movie though. Reminded me a lot of Momento.
Old 05-05-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I occasionally wonder whether I should attempt to watch all the series' in "proper" chronological order... skipping around by watching the flashback episodes (DS9's Pilot, "Trials and Tribble-ations", etc.) twice, and intermingling TNG, DS9 and VOY by stardate. But then I think that I'd wind up confusing myself..!
I think it could be interesting to watch the later series in Stardate order. It might provide a sense of perspective. Of course you'd then be in the position of wondering why none of the other major events are never mentioned in a particular series. *Would* the crews of Enterprise and DS9 be aware of Voyager being "lost". It's been a while, but I don't recally any of the crew on Voyager mentioning any other "current" crew members, ships, or events at any point. Starfleet, yes, but individual ships/people/events, no.
Old 05-05-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got back to town on Sunday and could only lay on the bed watching Veronica Mars episodes all day, so you know how Saturday night went!
Old 05-05-14, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

On Saturday, actually got through all of Bride of the Monster. It was great! Definitely worth the $3. Gotta love Ed Wood for so many things:
[*]creature effects that are so fake it is hilarious. I'm sure when those actors are pulling the arms of the creature around themselves and writhing like they're in pain, they must be saying to themselves, "how did I get into this? I'm calling my agent as soon as he says 'Cut!'."
The story is that they "borrowed" the rubber octopus during a late-night visit to Republic Pictures' warehouse (it had been used in a John Wayne movie, WAKE OF THE RED WITCH), but forgot to also "borrow" the motor that would make the octopus tentacles move. So poor Bela had to wrap himself in the tentacles while pretending to be fighting it off.

They recreate the shooting of this movie in ED WOOD. Have you ever seen that?
Old 05-05-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just watched the 2nd episode of the BBC series Africa. So far, I'm enjoying that Nature series just as much as the rest of them. I plan to order Frozen Planet as soon as the payment I made posts to my credit card.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.