DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Your Most Valuable DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/619430-your-most-valuable-dvd.html)

HellTrack 04-12-14 11:30 AM

Your Most Valuable DVD

I was looking through my collection and a question popped into my mind. What is the most valuable dvd or dvd set that you own? Me? Probably my out of print Salem's Lot dvd, Little Giants, or my dvd set of all ten Star Trek movies.

MrSmearkase 04-12-14 11:33 AM

Re: Your Most Valuable DVD

Probably my wedding DVD.

Ash Ketchum 04-12-14 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 12075774)
Probably my wedding DVD.

Hah! Put it up on eBay and see if you get any offers. That'll show you how valuable it is. -ptth-

TomOpus 04-12-14 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12075814)
Hah! Put it up on eBay and see if you get any offers. That'll show you how valuable it is. -ptth-

Lose it and try to explain that to his wife. We'll see how much he values sex :)

Alan Smithee 04-12-14 02:30 PM

President Clinton's Grand Jury Testimony
In-store demo discs from when the format was brand-new
The Golden Age of Rock & Roll box set, was pulled almost immediately due to rights issues
Little Shop of Horrors original edition- guess with the Blu-Ray out, that isn't worth much now

Then of course there's my burned discs of 70s off-air TV recordings.

Mike86 04-12-14 02:44 PM

I have the original WWF: Wrestlemania X-Seven DVD release without any of the blurring of the logo like on the later anthology set releases. I think I paid like $40 or so for it years back and it was pretty rare at the time. I just looked on eBay and people are still asking anywhere between $80-$100 for it. That's probably my most rare one. I have some other old WWF releases too but I don't know that they're worth as much as that particular Wrestlemania is.

Regulus 04-12-14 08:07 PM

My "Underground" Copy of Lassie, all 19 seasons. :D

Favorite Legit DVD? My first exposure to the realm called Science-Fiction way back in 1965. The Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" Thunderbirds. :up:

Ed38 04-13-14 02:37 AM

Remastered system backup DVD just in case...

Cardsfan111 04-13-14 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase (Post 12075774)
Probably my wedding DVD.

You can always tell when someone is posting at DVDTalk and their spouse is sitting next to them or looking over their shoulder.

FerrisDaw 04-14-14 05:00 AM

Quentin Tarantino collection

Paul_SD 04-14-14 08:03 AM

I recently sold my sealed copy of Salem's Lot for about $40. I'd picked it up as a spare from Big Lots years back for $3, so I was happy with that deal. I also sold it at the right time because it appears WB is re-releasing it soon, possibly with the sequel all in one package.
I was hoping the next release would be a Bd but...

Easily the most valuable title I own currently is the Disney Treasure release of Dr Syn.
The most I ever got for a title was $150 for a sealed copy of The Turning Point a year or two back (and that was bargain priced compared to what other sellers were asking for it).

MScottM 04-14-14 09:27 AM

No idea which ones I own are the most valuable but I do own alot of the ones mentioned so far.

Salem's Lot
Little Giants
Star Trek movies set
Little shop of Horrors (but the 2000 edition)
Dr Syn
Early demo discs

hasslein 04-14-14 01:28 PM

Here Come The Brides Season One... until mill creek releases it...

Alan Smithee 04-14-14 03:52 PM

Pink Lady and Jeff! (Plus a burned disc of the original broadcast of the first show with commercials.)

DeanoBKN 04-14-14 04:49 PM

Wow, never knew my Little Giants DVD was worth $20+

I remember getting a very surprising amount for Project: ALF and a 2004 World Series of Poker DVD when I sold them back to Amazon last year. I'm thinking $40-50 each.

I also own that History Of Beavis & Butthead set that fans were going crazy over about a decade ago. Still worth about $40 now.

mickey65 04-14-14 04:49 PM

Two I can think of:

Last of the Dogmen (worth upwards for $400 right now on Amazon!)
Women of Valor (worth about $156 on Amazon right now)

Not thinking of selling tho! LOL

mnementh 04-14-14 06:30 PM

I have a complete set of Disney Treasures.

Also, wouldn't a honeymoon DVD be worth more than a wedding DVD?

darkhawk 04-14-14 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by mnementh (Post 12077839)

Me too

SterlingBen 04-14-14 07:27 PM

Currently look like it's Blind Woman's Curse

The Valeyard 04-14-14 07:37 PM

Ditto.

I also have the 2-Disc Anchor Bay limited editions of Halloween, Army of Darkness, Manhunter, Supergirl and House (with House 2). Some of those use to go for a chunk of change.

Got a bunch of Doctor Who titles that are now OOP.

Probably more that I can't remember.

Nick Danger 04-14-14 07:43 PM

We have the complete Anchor Bay Hammer Horror Collection. It looks like some of those are going for $20 and up.

Terrier 04-15-14 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 12077059)
I recently sold my sealed copy of Salem's Lot for about $40. I'd picked it up as a spare from Big Lots years back for $3, so I was happy with that deal. I also sold it at the right time because it appears WB is re-releasing it soon, possibly with the sequel all in one package.
I was hoping the next release would be a Bd but...

That is encouraging news! Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot (although in principle a two part TV-series) is along with Alien, my two absolute favorite movies. I hope it will be released on blu-ray soon (including the TV previews in between, as on the VHS and DVD)!

While the picture on the DVD version of Salem's Lot is rather good, the sound is not so good. I have a couple of older VHS editions (PAL and NTSC), and the sound on those has subtleties that are missing on the DVD!

ntnon 04-15-14 11:57 AM

Many of those are pricey enough alone...! Looks like a Complete Treasures tin has doubled(+) in price from the near $500 original price, too..

TomOpus 04-15-14 01:37 PM

Remember when a real copy of Criterion's Salo was going for $1000? Is there a single release anything like that nowadays?

I have some numbered & signed stuff like "I Drink Your Blood" but not sure if it's worth much anymore.

orangerunner 04-15-14 02:55 PM

I always find it interesting what people will pay for certain DVDs of movies that, while are out-of-print, are rather forgettable.

I mentioned it before, but the Shag The Movie DVDs sells routinely on eBay for $40-$60. Not just one or two, but many copies have been selling at this price.

The Getaway (1994) has been selling for $25+ for a sealed copy.

Certain MGM titles like Southern Comfort, Joe and Burnt Offerings have been selling for high prices as well.

I see Warner Archives has caught onto this and have been re-releasing old Warner and Paramount titles.