DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/618800-fifth-annual-drive-exploitation-b-movie-challenge-april-1-30-2014-a.html)

indiephantom 04-06-14 04:21 PM

Re: Fifth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30 2014

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12069278)
Captain America (1990) has so many flaws but it was hard to hate it. It is earnest and tries hard but saddled with no budget and a poor script, it really had no chance. I will say that the costume is very faithful to the comic book and there are some nice scene taken directly from the comics. And the scenes (yes, plural) of Cap acting sick to steal cars are just too damn funny to miss.

:D I watched this the other night and mentioned the same thing in my mini-review. I hadn't realized that faking nausea was one of his super powers.

BobO'Link 04-06-14 08:35 PM

I watched the trifecta of Battle Beyond the Sun (1959), Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet (1965), and Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968) last night and today. It was very interesting to see all that duplicated footage on the three films. You have to wonder if audiences noticed the repeat of scenes, especially on Prehistoric Planet and Women. I can see someone going "Huh? I *know* I've seen this before but don't remember those women!" during a screening. Prehistoric Women uses almost 10 minutes of footage from Battle during the open - right down to the narration, shifts gears and is then about 1/4 new footage mixed with Prehistoric Planet footage - again with the same dialog. I need to watch Planeta Bur to see if the English subtitles are the same translation used on the 2 "Prehistoric" films.

This afternoon I did something I've wanted to do for some time - watch Airplane! and its primary material source Zero Hour!. I finally settled on watching Airplane! first. It was very interesting doing such a close viewing sequence and is very hard to watch Zero Hour! without at least smiling when lines are duplicated, which occurs very frequently. It's amazing at how much dialog was lifted directly from Zero Hour!. That was a fun double-feature!

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Undeadcow 04-06-14 09:12 PM

Tentacles (1977) has got one of the most amazing conclusions I've seen so far this challenge; streaming on NetFlix.

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12069218)
...Last night I watched Creature (2011) on Netflix. I didn't think it was as bad as the review had led me to believe, and I'm not positive, but I think Captain Spalding from House of 1000 Corpses was in it too.

I caught Creature (2011) and agree, it's no classic but wasn't as totally putrid as reviews make it out to be - definitely fun in a flawed b-movie way and takes some unconventional routes even if it's presentation is a little misleading. Yeah, go Sid Haig!

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 12068913)
Also currently watching Miami Connection and it might be the most 80's movie I have ever seen.

Yeah, the Friends song was stuck in my head for the past few days since seeing Miami Connection.

SterlingBen 04-06-14 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by caligulathegod (Post 12069500)
He was selling actual screen used buckets of the Stuff. He was impressed with my one sheet and its condition.

How much were they?!?!

caligulathegod 04-07-14 12:28 AM

I missed seeing the price.

SterlingBen 04-07-14 12:36 AM

Disappointing.

If they were the little ones from the movie I would have bought a couple at $20 each or so.

Mondo Kane 04-07-14 12:51 AM

Mickey Rooney died today. But he left behind a Drive-In oddity, The Manipulator (aka B.J. Presents)
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/im...0px-BJLang.jpg

Seek it out if you dare.

ntnon 04-07-14 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 12068913)
Just me or did you think it was an insane oversight not to include anything about Laura Gemser (Black Emanuelle) who was the costume designer on Troll 2?!?!?!?!

Reading about it last year, and prior to watching it yesterday, I'd have said
"yes". Now, though, although it should have been worthy of a passing mention, I don't think there was a place for her. Not only were they mostly focusing on the main cast (and then director and scriptwriter), but they were really only talking to the people for whom Troll 2 is their one real claim to fame. Ms Gemser is known for reasons that have nothing to do with her work on Troll 2, so I don't think it would have been worth bringing it up - you'd have to try and explain who she is and why it matters, even if she were possible to talk to and willing to talk about it. Wikipedia says "Today she lives in retirement and low profile in Rome," so they'd need to budget for an international trip to try and talk to someone who wasn't on camera and might not want to talk to them about anything, etc., etc.

Even attempting to talk to her without the context of Emanuelle would seem like they were gratuitously trying to track down the very, very minor crew members, which would seem odd, and sidetracking to comment on the interesting fact of her involvement would distract from the focus of the documentary.

Maybe someone else can just talk to the crew one day...?

ntnon 04-07-14 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12069428)
...I have a couple stoner movies, but I'd like to save those for the certain day, is it the 21st?

What's the 21st..?

Ash Ketchum 04-07-14 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon (Post 12070268)
What's the 21st..?

Shadokitty was thinking of April 20, aka 4/20. That's the stoner holiday. I forget the significance of that date/number.

Last year I watched TRUE ROMANCE for this challenge on that date because of the Floyd character played by Brad Pitt.

BobO'Link 04-07-14 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12070312)
Shadokitty was thinking of April 20, aka 4/20. That's the stoner holiday. I forget the significance of that date/number.

It originally was the time of day a small group of HS friends in San Rafael, California would meet at a statue of Louis Pasteur to go looking for a abandoned pot field and would get stoned on the way. The eventual widespread use of the term involved them knowing The Dead.

It's more involved than that brief synopsis - If you want to read the whole story it's on Huffington Post.

sharktrager 04-07-14 02:58 PM

Today I watched the first 7 chapters of the 1948 Superman serial. I just couldn't watch anymore after that, maybe tomorrow. It has its faults, but it is in many ways better than last year's Man of Steel in my opinion.

Ash Ketchum 04-07-14 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sharktrager (Post 12070742)
Today I watched the first 7 chapters of the 1948 Superman serial. I just couldn't watch anymore after that, maybe tomorrow. It has its faults, but it is in many ways better than last year's Man of Steel in my opinion.

You need to see the follow-up, ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950). They fixed all the flaws from the first one and it's one of the best serials I've ever seen and one of the best examples of filmed Superman I've ever seen. It's got Lex Luthor as an antagonist, played by Lyle Talbot, and he supposedly goes straight, going so far as to establish Metropolis' first TV station and hiring Lois Lane away from the Daily Planet to become the first on-the-street TV reporter depicted on the big screen. It's also got the Phantom Zone and other cool stuff from the comics.

sharktrager 04-07-14 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12070752)
You need to see the follow-up, ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950). They fixed all the flaws from the first one and it's one of the best serials I've ever seen and one of the best examples of filmed Superman I've ever seen. It's got Lex Luthor as an antagonist, played by Lyle Talbot, and he supposedly goes straight, going so far as to establish Metropolis' first TV station and hiring Lois Lane away from the Daily Planet to become the first on-the-street TV reporter depicted on the big screen. It's also got the Phantom Zone and other cool stuff from the comics.

Cool, I'm planning on it. I'll probably be watching the rest of the 1948 serial on Wednesday night, then I'll move on to that one.

Ash Ketchum 04-07-14 04:05 PM

Over the weekend, I wanted to watch something Italian for this, so I dug out a box of VHS tapes of Italian genre films: horror, western, sword 'n' sandal, Eurocrime, etc. and wound up searching for one that was a good quality tape. I settled on DAY OF THE COBRA with Franco Nero but bailed on it after half an hour. I sampled others and started COMPANEROS, but then decided I should see THE MERCENARY first, since that would be the proper order and I haven't seen either in many years. But then I fell asleep. Before the weekend was over, I went back to the Sartana DVD set and watched one complete film, SARTANA IN THE VALLEY OF DEATH (1970), which was much better than expected and turns out to have Eurogreat William Berger in his only starring role in an an Italian western. If I could just stick with one after I started it, I'd get so many more films watched for this.

SethDLH 04-07-14 04:22 PM

Here's the entry for day 5 - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...nge-day-5.html

indiephantom 04-07-14 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 12070121)
Mickey Rooney died today. But he left behind a Drive-In oddity, The Manipulator (aka B.J. Presents)
http://www.grindhousedatabase.com/im...0px-BJLang.jpg

Seek it out if you dare.

Sounds good. I also loved his evil turn in Silent Night, Deadly Night 5.

BobO'Link 04-07-14 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sharktrager (Post 12070742)

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 12070752)

I'll second Ash's assessment wholeheartedly! When you've finished with those two serials you should watch The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941). It's another excellent one in the super hero genre and quite possibly the best serial ever made.

The Adventures of Captain Marvel began life as a Superman serial. It got as far as the planning stages when the publisher, National Periodical Publications (what later became DC Comics), denied the rights to the property to Republic. After the rights were sold to Paramount and Max Fleischer was given instructions to create a series of animated shorts, Republic contacted Fawcett Comics, who held the rights for the Captain Marvel comic series. They accepted Republic's offer and the property became a Captain Marvel serial instead but with a new script. After a few changes, the original Republic Superman script became the serial Mysterious Doctor Satan (1940).

SterlingBen 04-07-14 06:08 PM

And just bombed the interview for the next level up at my company, this month has been the suck.

Hopefully a little Eye Of The Tiger / Exterminator 2 double feature will be of some enjoyment.

shadokitty 04-07-14 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 12070995)
And just bombed the interview for the next level up at my company, this month has been the suck.

Hopefully a little Eye Of The Tiger / Exterminator 2 double feature will be of some enjoyment.

Sorry to hear that Sterling. Tomorrow my dad goes in for surgery to try to remove his cancer. Hopefully it goes well.

DVDTalker12324 04-07-14 08:18 PM

Watching Pink Flamingo and wow. Definitely the toughest watch for me so far. I can usually find some pleasure watching bad movies but there isn't much here that I would say I I like. That being said John Waters and this group put some serious effort into this trashy film which I kinda have to applaud. And Divine did make me laugh at the end with her politics shout out "Kill everyone now! Condone first degree murder! Advocate cannibalism! Eat shit! Filth is my politics! Filth is my life!" That quote couldn't be more appropriate for this challenge.

DVDTalker12324 04-07-14 08:40 PM

Heads up to anyone interested in watching Miami Connection it's streaming on Netflix just until April 10.

Watching Mega Shark VS Mecha Shark now.

coyoteblue 04-07-14 09:12 PM

I found something special tonight. Felidae (1994) - an animated cat giallo, though I suppose you could make a case for krimi, even though it's not based on a Wallace book, but I'm leaning toward giallo.

A cat and his can-opener, heh, move into a new house, where the cat, Francis, finds that neighborhood cats are being viciously murdered after having sex. Think something in the vicinity of The Cat o'Nine Tails, only with cats.

sharktrager 04-08-14 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12070956)
I'll second Ash's assessment wholeheartedly! When you've finished with those two serials you should watch The Adventures of Captain Marvel (1941). It's another excellent one in the super hero genre and quite possibly the best serial ever made.

The Adventures of Captain Marvel began life as a Superman serial. It got as far as the planning stages when the publisher, National Periodical Publications (what later became DC Comics), denied the rights to the property to Republic. After the rights were sold to Paramount and Max Fleischer was given instructions to create a series of animated shorts, Republic contacted Fawcett Comics, who held the rights for the Captain Marvel comic series. They accepted Republic's offer and the property became a Captain Marvel serial instead but with a new script. After a few changes, the original Republic Superman script became the serial Mysterious Doctor Satan (1940).

Thanks for the tip. I've tried the Captain Marvel before serial but bored very quickly. I may try again if I get time this month. :-)

And Flash Gordon is the best serial in my opinion.

pacaway 04-08-14 06:33 AM

Well, the Calgary Underground Film Festival started last night and I have a festival pass so I likely will not see too many qualifying pictures this week. They are showing The Raid 2 though. I think it would qualify and maybe a couple others.