Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Third Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2014

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Third Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2014

Old 02-21-14, 09:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The Third Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2014

After rolling his eyes every time I put something on for the Academy Awards Challenge, my husband is so excited about what I may watch in this challenge. He's all aflutter with suggestions. So, I'm in.
Old 02-23-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: The Third Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Challenge - March 2014

Decided I was in the mood for some kaiju tonight, as I need something to get my mind off my Army disability physical tomorrow. Plan to do a mini kaiju marathon, but haven't decided whether I want Godzilla, Gamera, or a mixture of the two yet.
Old 02-24-14, 10:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

It's been a while since I've been able to participate in a challenge so I'm really looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. A/A/C/M has quickly become one of my favorites. I'm trying to be a good boy this time and not buy too many new things since I have plenty on hand to watch but I did place an order with Hamilton Books for the TCM Charlie Chan set (thanks for the tip BobO'Link!) and some of those TGG/MGM double and triple features. Also, lately I've been tempted by those 3 disk James Bond sets, especially the two Connery sets, that my local Target has for $9.99 ....
Old 02-24-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Decided I was in the mood for some kaiju tonight, as I need something to get my mind off my Army disability physical tomorrow. Plan to do a mini kaiju marathon, but haven't decided whether I want Godzilla, Gamera, or a mixture of the two yet.
Gamera doesn't get enough love here--do some Gamera. '60s Gamera!
Old 02-24-14, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Gamera doesn't get enough love here--do some Gamera. '60s Gamera!
I think I'm going to save Gamera for B-Movie/Drive-In/Exploitation month. I bought the blu-rays last year and didn't get around to watching them.
Old 02-25-14, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

I got in Yonderland (2013), yesterday and I'm itching to crack it.
Old 02-26-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

Looking forward to the list thread!
Old 02-26-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Looking forward to the list thread!
Should be soon, seeing as the Challenge starts in 2 days.
Old 02-26-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seeing as the Challenge is a little over 48 hours away, I thought I'd see what people planned to open up the Challenge with. Myself, I'm still on the fence as a good portion of my collection is eligible for this Challenge. I could start with kaiju, something from either my Mill Creek Warriors 50 movie set, my Mill Creek 20 movie Martial Arts set, my Shaw Brothers movie, one of my other action movies, or something from one of my action or adventure tv series. There is also plenty of stuff online, and always stuff to find on tv itself, so I have no clue what I am going to start with yet.
Old 02-26-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The TV on DVD challenge sent me into a paroxysm of DVD box set buying that's resulted in acquisitions of sets of: Perry Mason, Sea Hunt, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Kung Fu, The Buccaneers, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Naked City, and a bunch of others. Plus, I've found YouTube channels with tons of classic crime series I'd never seen before January's challenge: Mike Hammer, M Squad, The New Breed, This Man Dawson, The Asphalt Jungle, Felony Squad, Judd for the Defense, The Lineup, etc. Plus I still have a lot of Untouchables, Dragnet and Police Story episodes to watch.
Old 02-26-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 516 Posts

^I totally forgot about The Naked City set I picked up as well as a couple of seasons of Perry Mason. Dang... you just made it harder!!!

I'm thinking possibly Ellery Queen but haven't really decided for sure especially since Ash reminded me about a few I forgot! Since The Naked City was a total blind buy I just might move it to the starting position...
Old 02-26-14, 03:49 PM

I'm not sure how much time I'll have Friday evening so I may need to grab something short as my very first watch, maybe a couple of TV episodes. I've been jonsing for some Chuck Norris for the last few days so Missing in Action will be near the top of my list. I also want to watch Hell and High Water early on but I'm planning on starting Saturday morning out with the first Gaiking movie from the Shout! Factory set. Nothing like giant robot action to get a weekend going.

And Ash, I'm totally unfamiliar with several of the shows you mention as being on YouTube so I may try to check out some of those as well.
Old 02-26-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 175 Likes on 140 Posts

I bought a whole bunch of stuff over the last year that I plan to watch. Not sure whether or not I want to start it off with some classic film noir or just dive into a dvd set. If I'm pressed on time, I'll just watched a few episodes of Gunslinger Girl DVD set I picked up for cheap.
Old 02-26-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by omike

And Ash, I'm totally unfamiliar with several of the shows you mention as being on YouTube so I may try to check out some of those as well.
I found tons of stuff on YouTube during the TV on DVD Challenge in January and I posted a number of links in the discussion thread. I listed what I watched in my post in the list thread (link below).

This YouTube channel is a good place to start:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg2...w=grid&view=54
Old 02-26-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,084 Likes on 892 Posts

I thought about holding Game of Thrones season 3 for this challenge but I couldn't wait that long.

I'll probably try to finally finish off Hunted and watch more Buffy. Then catch up on stuff like Thor and GI Joe 2.
Old 02-26-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll probably unofficially get some kaiju in tonight with the Gamera blu rays. Mainly because I'll temporarily be without a blu ray player at the beginning of the challenge as I sold my PS3 on ebay to help raise money for a convention vacation this summer. Plan to use some of the proceeds of the sale to replace my blu ray player. I've seen them on Amazon for as low as $35.
Old 02-26-14, 07:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Should be soon, seeing as the Challenge starts in 2 days.
Two days?! Where has February gone?

I'll get it up later tonight.
Old 02-27-14, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm a little worn out from the TV and the Oscar Challenge but Babylon 5 is next on my watch list and since that fits with this challenge, I might participate.
Old 02-27-14, 09:42 AM

List thread is up. Had to stick to form and be slow and boring about it.
Old 02-27-14, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I found tons of stuff on YouTube during the TV on DVD Challenge in January and I posted a number of links in the discussion thread. I listed what I watched in my post in the list thread (link below).

This YouTube channel is a good place to start:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg2...w=grid&view=54
Thanks so much for the link - what a treasure trove of classic TV! I did some checking on IMDB for the shows I didn't know anything about and was excited to find that Howard Duff was in Felony Squad and Keith Andes was in This Man Dawson and for some reason I've always liked those two actors. Checking out the link I also spotted episodes of Whirlybirds and Rescue 8, two shows I really liked when I was a kid. I'll take a look at your list and the discussion for the TV on DVD Challenge when I get a chance. Thanks again.
Old 02-27-14, 10:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The first day of this challenge is the 2nd day of the best picture showcase at amc so I'll be watching Nebraska, Her, Captain Phillips, American Hustle and Gravity and according to imdb both Nebraska and American Hustle count? Haven't decided what I want to focus on for the rest of the challenge yet though.
Old 02-27-14, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I guess I can try and watch the Veronica Mars seasons before the movie come out. That counts, right?
Crime and Mystery for certain... probably Action and Adventure too, so YES, easily.
Old 02-28-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Less than 12 hours to go till I start the Challenge, and I can't wait.
Old 02-28-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Prizes: I am looking for sponsors, and would appreciate any help or leads in that area. I'm hoping for at least our consistently fantastic GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books.
What, you can't find my PM box? All you had to do was ask.

I normally toss out a 50-60$ credit limit, go check the site Trevor and let me know what you come up with. That's usually enough to do three prizes of descending values or however you decide to divvy it up.

My vendors samples pile is kinda sparse right now so far as stuff to fit this challenge sadly.
Old 02-28-14, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
What, you can't find my PM box? All you had to do was ask.

I normally toss out a 50-60$ credit limit, go check the site Trevor and let me know what you come up with. That's usually enough to do three prizes of descending values or however you decide to divvy it up.

My vendors samples pile is kinda sparse right now so far as stuff to fit this challenge sadly.
I was going to PM you eventually, I just hate to assume, you do so much for all the Challenges here. Also, I'm feeling guilty about never doing the results thread and prizes from last year.

I was going to throw that up today, but instead of cluttering up the subforum with so many Challenge threads I think I'll just do a combined 2013/2014 results thread, with personally donating extra prizes to cover what I failed to procure last year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.