Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 02-01-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Started my challenge with the first two Alien movies. Taking a break from them before I move onto Alien 3 though. Thinking of March of the Penguins next. My list might not be updated as often for the next week or so as now I'm between ISPs l. Going back to dsl and for now my neighbor is letting me piggyback off his wifi.
Old 02-01-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Started off with The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) for which Maggie Smith won her Oscar. Smith is magnificent as the headstrong teacher with an overly romantic view of the world. I really appreciate films like this with characters who are deeply flawed while also being sympathetic. Miss Brodie has several admirable qualities but also some deep-seated neuroses. The film made me like almost everyone even when they were doing bad things. The only exception is the art teacher (played by Robert Stephens) who is a pretty deplorable, guileless character. It also stars Celia Johnson (who was nominated for an Oscar for Brief Encounter) as the prickly headmistress of the school where Jean Brodie works, and she is awesome!
Old 02-01-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

So I started the challenge with three movies I had never seen before and all of them fall into the category of "my goodness they don't give Oscars to short films." Started the day with Cleopatra which was far more interesting than I thought it would be. This is probably the longest film I've ever seen in my life but there weren't any scenes that I viewed as unnecessary and it moved along rather quickly. I was really grateful for the intermission so I could stretch my legs and go to the bathroom! The Right Stuff wasn't quite as long and was just as interesting. I really wish Netflix had this available on blu as i think it would look and sound stunning. Ed Harris looks exactly the same today as he did in this film which is amazing - I think he aged prematurely and just stayed that way. From there I went to The Ten Commandments and I have 20 minutes left to go on this one (had to take a short break). I might have to watch a special feature or two to find out how they managed the whole parting of the Red Sea effect. A good film but unlike the first two films, there were scenes in this film that I thought were unnecessary. I assume the film will end on a satisfactory note. Depending on how I feel I might watch a short or two to end the evening just to remind myself that all Oscar nominees and winners are not over three hours long!
Old 02-01-14, 07:22 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
So I started the challenge with three movies I had never seen before and all of them fall into the category of "my goodness they don't give Oscars to short films." Started the day with Cleopatra which was far more interesting than I thought it would be. This is probably the longest film I've ever seen in my life but there weren't any scenes that I viewed as unnecessary and it moved along rather quickly. I was really grateful for the intermission so I could stretch my legs and go to the bathroom! The Right Stuff wasn't quite as long and was just as interesting. I really wish Netflix had this available on blu as i think it would look and sound stunning. Ed Harris looks exactly the same today as he did in this film which is amazing - I think he aged prematurely and just stayed that way. From there I went to The Ten Commandments and I have 20 minutes left to go on this one (had to take a short break). I might have to watch a special feature or two to find out how they managed the whole parting of the Red Sea effect. A good film but unlike the first two films, there were scenes in this film that I thought were unnecessary. I assume the film will end on a satisfactory note. Depending on how I feel I might watch a short or two to end the evening just to remind myself that all Oscar nominees and winners are not over three hours long!
I figured you'd be up to about 10 movies by now!

Old 02-01-14, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
I figured you'd be up to about 10 movies by now!

I probably would be closer if I had chosen shorter films! Since tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday I will be watching The Godfather films so my streak of really freaking long movies will continue for at least one more day.
Old 02-01-14, 10:31 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I probably would be closer if I had chosen shorter films! Since tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday I will be watching The Godfather films so my streak of really freaking long movies will continue for at least one more day.
Excellent idea! Be sure and plan a pasta dinner...and don't forget: leave the gun, take the cannoli.
Old 02-02-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

So I started the challenge with three movies I had never seen before and all of them fall into the category of "my goodness they don't give Oscars to short films."
Oh, yes. Now I remember my thoughts from last year...!

Started the day with Cleopatra which was far more interesting than I thought it would be. This is probably the longest film I've ever seen in my life but there weren't any scenes that I viewed as unnecessary and it moved along rather quickly.
Echoing my thoughts again - it's ludicrously long, but doesn't seem that way when you actually watch it. It's just when you look at the runtime (daunting) and then the clock afterwards (where'd the time go?) that it really hits you!

I began with Bride of Frankenstein to get myself in the mood for seeing Frozen (again) this afternoon. I may be alone in thinking this, I may be very wrong in my thinking, but I can't help but see a number of similarities in content and tone and subtext between the two films. Elsas, Hanses, falling in water, monsters, "It's alive!," isolation, finding a friend in the middle of nowhere, failed attempts at getting together with the 'right' person, inescapable subtexts of growing up, snap judgements, the outsider, sexuality...

Frozen was the Sing-A-Long version, and I'd heard that the bouncing snowflake was poorly timed. Did not seem that way to me at all. There was very little singing - except from a couple of Princess-dressed 3-or-4 year olds who were at least as entertaining as the film. Also handily included the Mickey Mouse short "Get a Horse" which is starting to get a little old, but still miles better than most. Particularly compared to the first three nominated animated shorts (all on YouTube). Flowers and Trees was probably the worthy winner, although Mickey's Orphans is fairly entertaining, if a little odd. It's Got Me Again! however, seemed... well, I don't know if Disney sued over the look of the mice, but even allowing for similarities between cartoon mice it seemed a little blatant!

Next: It Happened One Night. Then, maybe, part of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World if I haven't fallen asleep.
Old 02-02-14, 12:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Does this TCM Documentary count?

And The Oscar Goes To... (2014) 95 min
A documentary tracing the history of the Academy Awards.
Dir: Robert Epstein
Is this the new one that was on this past evening? If so, I am going to go ahead and say yes. Although on my DVR it's just called "Oscar"
Old 02-02-14, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Started a bit slowly. I have gone through and marked to record several movies from TCM and watched the first of them today, "Of Mice and Men." Nominated for 4, 0 won which surprises me after watching. While I've always known this was a classic and I should watch it, it just seemed like a sad movie, a bit depressing to me (Steinbeck is not my favorite author because of this-I threw "Grapes of Wrath" across the car when I finished it, I hated the ending that much!). So, it was with a bit of trepidation that I watched it-and then surprised myself by enjoying it.

There were a couple scenes where I just wanted them to go faster because I could see the end coming (not really a surprise as I knew how it ended before watching) and just wanted George and Lenny to come through everything OK. But overall, I really enjoyed the film. I'm not sure I'd watch it again, but I am glad I finally bit the bullet.

I also taped and watched the "And the Oscar Goes To..." documentary tonight. I really liked all the flash backs to the old shows. I could have watched a lot more of those.
Old 02-02-14, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just finished The Artist which I hadn't seen since it was in theaters. I remembering enjoying it, but not being blown away or anything. However, rewatching it was a wonderful experience. It is such a vibrant, gorgeous film, and I found it to be very endearing. The film is this madcap celebration of cinema and love and emotions. I'm also amazed at the casting; they made sure that everyone looks like they could have been in a silent 20s film - from the spectacular leads to Missi Pyle. I'm really glad that I popped it into the player. The BD has been sitting on my shelf for awhile after I got it super cheap at a Hastings sale.
Old 02-02-14, 01:06 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just heard about Philip Seymour Hoffman... so sad, he was amazing in almost everything he did.
Old 02-02-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Just heard about Philip Seymour Hoffman... so sad, he was amazing in almost everything he did.
I'm tempted to find something of his to watch today. I have seen 3 of his films in the last 2 weeks, including Moneyball as my first film of this challenge.
Old 02-02-14, 01:12 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I'm tempted to find something of his to watch today. I have seen 3 of his films in the last 2 weeks, including Moneyball as my first film of this challenge.
I just moved The Master up to #1 in my Netflix cue.
Old 02-02-14, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to watch Moneyball tomorrow and I'll try to throw in Twister for good measure.

When Godfather III is the shortest feature film you've watched so far, you know you've watched some long movies! The first two films remain, IMHO, two of the finest American films ever made and the third had potential but didn't quite make it. No I don't blame Sophia Coppola for that, Mary's entire story line is a mess and I don't think having Winona Ryder play the role would have helped. I don't hate the film though, it's quite solid mostly because of Andy Garcia and Talia Shire.
Old 02-02-14, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old news obviously, both Maximilian Schell and Philip Seymour Hoffman died recently. The following films are eligible for this challenge.

Maximilian Schell
The Black Hole
First Love
Judgment at Nuremberg Schell won an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role
Julia Schell was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Krakatoa: East of Java
The Man in the Glass Booth Schell was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role
Marlene nominated for Best Documentary, Features - Schell directed and co-wrote. Netflix Streaming
The Pedestrian nominated for Best Foreign Language Film - Schell directed
Topkapi
The Young Lions

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Almost Famous
Boogie Nights
Capote Hoffman won an Oscar for Best Performance in a Leading Role
Charlie Wilson's War
Cold Mountain
Culture
Doubt Hoffman was nominated for Best Performance in a Supporting Role
The Ides of March
Magnolia
The Master Hoffman was nominated for Best Performance in a Supporting Role
Moneyball
Nobody's Fool
Patch Adams
The Savages
Scent of a Woman (1992)
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Netflix Streaming
Twister
Old 02-02-14, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yesterday, I decided to have an old-fashioned movie marathon and ended up getting a few things marked off various lists:

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: I've already commented on this one, but I really cannot get it out of my head. Maggie Smith plays such a dynamic character living in a grayer space than teachers in films usually inhabit.

All This, and Heaven Too: Bette Davis is great in this film about a governess who gets in over her head when caring for the children of a French Duke and Duchess. Barbara O'Neil plays the distant, jealous Duchess and got an Oscar nomination. This paired with the roles for which Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Jennifer Lawrence, and Julia Roberts secured nominations this year lead me to believe the best thing an actress can do is play distant and deranged.

The Grandmaster: This was a major disappointment. Several of Wong Kar Wai's films are among my favorites so I had high hopes. But the biopic trappings clashed with the style. Of course, the film looks breathtaking, and I got lost in the intricate sets, costumes, and stagings. Unfortunately, it was difficult to figure out what was going on. Still: SO BEAUTIFUL! (marked off 86th Academy Awards nominees)

Sophie's Choice: This effected me emotionally in a way that outstripped the film itself. I found myself less engaged with the narrative and reflecting more on the historical events. The narrative does pull you in, and after pausing for a little cry, I was captivated. (marked off AFI Top 100)
Old 02-02-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today, I got a couple things out of my unwatched pile:

The Artist: Rewatched this to pick myself up after Sophie's Choice. Have already commented on the thread, but will say that the music is infectious. I kept humming little parts throughout the day. Told my parents they should watch it, and Mom asked, "Is that the silent one with the dog?" To which I replied, "Precisely!" Going to lend it to them the next time I visit.

The Greatest Show on Earth: I sorta understand the Best Picture win; there are some amazing set pieces and an overall push for spectacle. However, it's more a glowing documentary on the circus with occasional sidelines with Charlton Heston and Betty Hutton. For such a long film, every character and situation is very underdeveloped. I'm usually a major fan of DeMille (his Cleopatra ranks among my favorites), but this was nowhere near his best films. (marked off Best Picture winners)

Inside Llewyn Davis: Is perplexing. Don't get me wrong, I loved the shit out of this film, but I hated Llewyn Davis so much. At first, Carey Mulligan's hatred seems too extreme for the situation, but after hanging out with this guy for an entire movie, I definitely could see where she was coming from. (I also feel that if we weren't living in a haze of Jennifer Lawrence love, Mulligan would easily have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress.) The film is meandering and audacious and sets up such interesting characters. I want to watch it again soon. (marked off 86th Academy Award nominees)

Capote: After learning about the unfortunate news of Philip Seymour Hoffman's death, I decided it was finally time to watch this film. It blew me away. Hoffman disappears into the role so fully that I was riveted. Everything about the film works for me, and since I haven't read In Cold Blood, I was on the edge of my seat, trying to figure out what the killers' motivations were. Absolutely thrilling film.
Old 02-02-14, 11:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

How would people feel about adding this to the checklist "Watch a film that is nominated this year", I don't know why I never thought about it before, but I think it's a good idea.
Old 02-03-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
How would people feel about adding this to the checklist "Watch a film that is nominated this year", I don't know why I never thought about it before, but I think it's a good idea.
I'd say that's definately a moment! Yes, it *should* be in the checklist.
Old 02-03-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm okay with it.

Got into town and rented "Room on a Broom." It comes with "The Gruffalo" which is also eligible. I thought it was really cute and I really enjoyed it. Made me laugh in several spots.

Watching "The Gruffalo" and it's OK. "Room" is much better, I think. They are made by the same people, so there really is a similar feel to them.
Old 02-03-14, 08:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by konekonoir
Old news obviously, both Maximilian Schell and Philip Seymour Hoffman died recently. The following films are eligible for this challenge.

Maximilian Schell
The Black Hole
First Love
Judgment at Nuremberg Schell won an Oscar for Best Actor in a Leading Role
Julia Schell was nominated for Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Krakatoa: East of Java
The Man in the Glass Booth Schell was nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role
Marlene nominated for Best Documentary, Features - Schell directed and co-wrote. Netflix Streaming
The Pedestrian nominated for Best Foreign Language Film - Schell directed
Topkapi
The Young Lions

Philip Seymour Hoffman
Almost Famous
Boogie Nights
Capote Hoffman won an Oscar for Best Performance in a Leading Role
Charlie Wilson's War
Cold Mountain
Culture
Doubt Hoffman was nominated for Best Performance in a Supporting Role
The Ides of March
Magnolia
The Master Hoffman was nominated for Best Performance in a Supporting Role
Moneyball
Nobody's Fool
Patch Adams
The Savages
Scent of a Woman (1992)
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Netflix Streaming
Twister
Thanks for doing this. I'll try to squeeze in a couple of each this year.
Great idea.
Old 02-03-14, 08:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Booger. It appears as if none of PSH's film are available on Netflix or Amazon Prime. I'm going to have to break some shrinkwrap.
Old 02-03-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Memorandum films have to have Oscar nods too? Isn't that why they are wildcards so you could see something with someone who died in it without it having an Oscar nod? I'm curious because I was wondering if "Catching Fire" would count for PSH then?
Old 02-03-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I just re-watched Twister. From my Letterboxd diary:
Spoiler:
I covered the basics of Twister in my remarks in 2012, and in truth I picked it tonight because I don't have it in me to even watch a movie that requires attention from me, much less do I have it in me to dissect one analytically. Twister is an old friend at this point and I just needed its company. On some level, I was cognizant of the marriage/divorce/unpredictable weather allegory, but I'm not interested in exploring that right now. Maybe next time.

I also picked it because I hadn't yet watched the Blu-ray Disc and, as a 1996 nominee (Sound and Visual Effects), it's eligible for the DVD Talk Academy Awards Challenge going on right now. It looks and sounds terrific, though I admit that the CGI looked less impressive in HD than it did in SD projected in my friends' back yard. This doesn't affect my adoration for the movie in the least. That not withstanding, the practical effects are all still quite impressive, though it lost Visual Effects to Independence Day and I can get behind that.

I've yet to see The English Patient (though it's on my To-Watch list for this challenge), but I have a hard time accepting that it was more deserving of Sound than Twister. The pervasive weather-related carnage must have been a foley artist's dream. Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Kevin O'Connell and Geoffrey Patterson did some great work here. Of all the aspects of a movie, sound is perhaps the one easiest to take for granted, but in a picture like Twister, sound is a make-or-break element. The movie works in no small part because of the sound design.

Twister was re-ranked on my Flickchart to #32/1610

1996 Academy Awards (69th)
(N) SOUND -- Steve Maslow, Gregg Landaker, Kevin O'Connell, Geoffrey Patterson
(N) VISUAL EFFECTS -- Stefen Fangmeier, John Frazier, Habib Zargarpour, Henry La Bounta
Old 02-03-14, 11:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Just finished The Artist which I hadn't seen since it was in theaters. I remembering enjoying it, but not being blown away or anything. However, rewatching it was a wonderful experience. It is such a vibrant, gorgeous film, and I found it to be very endearing. The film is this madcap celebration of cinema and love and emotions. I'm also amazed at the casting; they made sure that everyone looks like they could have been in a silent 20s film - from the spectacular leads to Missi Pyle. I'm really glad that I popped it into the player. The BD has been sitting on my shelf for awhile after I got it super cheap at a Hastings sale.
I really need to watch it this year - this is the first best picture win that I haven't seen breaking my record of seeing every winning film since 1984: 'Amadeus' (in the theater)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.