Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 01-31-14, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Also, true to form, this challenge starts tomorrow and I've put absolutely no effort or thought whatsoever into making arrangements about the Documentary categories. I'm pretty sure at least one or two Documentary (Feature) winners have made their way into The Criterion Collection on Hulu, so I'll just go with one of those. No idea what I'll do about Documentary (Short) just yet... :/
Documentary Feature Winners from Criterion:

Harlan County U.S.A.
Hearts and Minds
The Life and Times of Harvey Milk

Documentary Feature Nominees that didn't win from Criterion:

For All Mankind
The War Room
Pina
Old 01-31-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

I picked up my first five titles from the local library and I've added DVDs to my Netflix subscription so I'm ready to go. Bring on the list thread.
Old 01-31-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant

Harlan County U.S.A.
Hearts and Minds

For All Mankind
The War Room
Pina
^War Room is the only one of those that I haven't seen yet. Thanks!

Any idea if the list thread will be up by midnight?
Old 01-31-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Harlan County U.S.A.
Hearts and Minds

For All Mankind
The War Room
Pina
Thanks! I watched Harlan County U.S.A. for the Criterion Challenge in September, so I'll pass on that one, but the other two winners have been on my radar for awhile. I'll probably go with The Life and Times of Harvey Milk, and save Hearts and Minds for either the Historical Appreciation or Criterion challenges later this year, or maybe even hold onto it as a hole card for next year's Oscar Challenge.

Of the nominees that didn't win, I've seen For All Mankind and The War Room. I really enjoyed the footage in the former, but found it fairly flat and boring without any real context for what footage came from which mission. There was just no context for anything I was seeing, so it didn't mean much to me outside of the thrill of seeing something shot in space. The War Room had its moments, but never engaged me, either, which was disappointing for a wonk (and Clintonian) such as myself.
Old 01-31-14, 02:16 PM

Thanks!...

Of the nominees that didn't win, I've seen For All Mankind and The War Room. I really enjoyed the footage in the former, but found it fairly flat and boring without any real context for what footage came from which mission. There was just no context for anything I was seeing, so it didn't mean much to me outside of the thrill of seeing something shot in space. The War Room had its moments, but never engaged me, either, which was disappointing for a wonk (and Clintonian) such as myself.
No problem.

I'm glad someone else found For All Mankind boring. I missed the inclusion of context as well. I expected much more.

I've seen the three winners, so I'll probably look elsewhere for my documentary feature; I have Searching for Sugar Man waiting on the DVR.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Any idea if the list thread will be up by midnight?
I was wondering the same thing.

Also, does anyone have an answer to my question from last week:

For the decades section on the checklist...is it a film that won in ANY category, or just a Best Picture winner? It seems like most are doing any category. I'm just confused by the "film winner" portion. Obviously, if it's any winner, that makes life a lot easier.
Old 01-31-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Amazon's Deal of the Day is the Godfather Collection for $16.99. All eligible, two Best Picture winners...
Old 01-31-14, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
Amazon's Deal of the Day is the Godfather Collection for $16.99. All eligible, two Best Picture winners...
As a person who preordered the original DVDs from Amazon for $75, this makes me a bit sad.
Old 01-31-14, 02:24 PM

Also, true to form, this challenge starts tomorrow and I've put absolutely no effort or thought whatsoever into making arrangements about the Documentary categories. I'm pretty sure at least one or two Documentary (Feature) winners have made their way into The Criterion Collection on Hulu, so I'll just go with one of those. No idea what I'll do about Documentary (Short) just yet... :/
Do you have Amazon Prime...? They have (or "had" when I printed my list) nominated and winning documentaries including:

Man on Wire
The Eleanor Roosevelt Story
The Battle of Midway
Prelude to War
The True Glory
Desert Victory
Seeds of Destiny
The Fog of War... Robert McNamara

For Shorts (which some of the above are already), YouTube has variously had Men Against the Arctic and December 7th, I believe, while Criterion released the 1979 winner "Paul Robeson: Tribute to an Artist" on their Robeson boxset. Which I don't have.

Last edited by ntnon; 01-31-14 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-31-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

No problem.

I'm glad someone else found For All Mankind boring. I missed the inclusion of context as well. I expected much more.
It's hard to care about excerpts mashed together without any effort to tell us just what we're seeing.

I've seen the three winners, so I'll probably look elsewhere for my documentary feature; I have Searching for Sugar Man waiting on the DVR.
I watched that last year. Overall, I liked it, but I question some of the editing/sequencing because it tips its hand very early and then spends another half hour acting as though it didn't just already tell us where it was headed. Once it finally caught up with itself, though, it was pretty easy to relax and get into it. Plus, the music is terrific!

Also, does anyone have an answer to my question from last week:

For the decades section on the checklist...is it a film that won in ANY category, or just a Best Picture winner? It seems like most are doing any category. I'm just confused by the "film winner" portion. Obviously, if it's any winner, that makes life a lot easier.
It always made sense to me that it was Best Picture winners only, but looking at my previous checklists, I clearly didn't restrict myself to that, so I think at some point in the past there must have been discussion that opened it up to any winner from any category. I'd be in favor of refining the language to be "Best Picture Winner" only, but I'm largely indifferent.
Old 01-31-14, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I picked up my first five titles from the local library and I've added DVDs to my Netflix subscription so I'm ready to go. Bring on the list thread.
I spent an hour pulling discs out of boxsets so they're ready if I need them.

And realised that I've lost my Columbia Best Pictures box. Thought I knew where it was, but it turned out to be a New Line thing I got for Christmas last year... (Lord of the Rings! and Elf and The Wedding Singer.....)
Old 01-31-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

I've always assumed it's any category.
Old 01-31-14, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
Do you have Amazon Prime...? They have (or "had" when I printed my list) nominated and winning documentaries including:

Man on Wire...
The Fog of War... Robert McNamara
These two are great and I can't recommend them enough. Man on Wire is a very likeable film with a great story to tell.

The Fog of War shocked me when I watched it for last year's challenge. Bob McNamara is surprisingly candid about America's role in WWII and his own role as Secretary of Defense during the Vietnam War. If you're interested in history at all (Travis), this is a must watch.

I watched that last year. Overall, I liked it, but I question some of the editing/sequencing because it tips its hand very early and then spends another half hour acting as though it didn't just already tell us where it was headed. Once it finally caught up with itself, though, it was pretty easy to relax and get into it. Plus, the music is terrific!
I'll keep an eye out for that. It's good to hear that the music is terrific, that can pull me in to the most mundane film. I'm a sucker for good music.

It always made sense to me that it was Best Picture winners only, but looking at my previous checklists, I clearly didn't restrict myself to that, so I think at some point in the past there must have been discussion that opened it up to any winner from any category. I'd be in favor of refining the language to be "Best Picture Winner" only, but I'm largely indifferent.
Yeah, I went clicking through most checklists and I couldn't really find any that were sticking with Best Picture winners. The terminology ("film winner") would suggest that it's any film (a documentary film, animated film, foreign language film, etc. are all film winners).

I hope The Monkees or anyone else that can remember can help shed light on this. I can barely keep the Criterion Challenge straight from year to year; even then, I usually have to revisit the discussion thread to remember what our conversations were about.
Old 01-31-14, 03:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry about the lateness but the lists thread is up now! I would link to it but I'm posting from my phone. I will update everything later tonight.
Old 01-31-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

List thread!
Old 01-31-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just a quick question. For the checklist, is it limited to winners only or can nominated count as well?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-14, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
Just a quick question. For the checklist, is it limited to winners only or can nominated count as well?

Thanks!
The top two tiers (decades and categories) appear to be for winners only. The third tier (ratings) seem to be nominees or winners. However, you can count anything that has been nominated for or won an Academy Award.
Old 01-31-14, 09:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Ohh, the library. I knew I forgot something. Off to search their catalog now.
Old 02-01-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Ohh, the library. I knew I forgot something. Off to search their catalog now.
I love my library. I may have to wait a bit, but they rarely never NOT have something. And if they don't, they're really good about ordering it for me. I do all my ordering online, so I just wait for the email that it's in, go and grab what's waiting for me.

I decided that when going through the decades for the checklist, I'm going to watch movies that are on my to be watched list-the classics I've never watched but should have. My library is awesome and had all the ones I was interested in, so I'm just hoping they don't all come at once.

I'm going outside of my comfort zone, "Platoon," and the "The Godfather," especially. A few others are just ones I never managed to see. "Shakespeare in Love," "Around the World in 80 Days."

Once I'm done with those, whatever extra checks I'll need, I'll have to fill in, but figure with the 10 decades, I'll have a good start on the rest of the check list as well.
Old 02-01-14, 02:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765

Thanks!
Yes, winners for the top 2 categories (i.e. decades, award categories) and then whatever for the ratings section.

As it comes to the decades, it does not have to be a Best Picture winner, just a winner from any category. That's how I've always done it and figured everyone else did as well.
Old 02-01-14, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
As it comes to the decades, it does not have to be a Best Picture winner, just a winner from any category. That's how I've always done it and figured everyone else did as well.
Thanks!
Old 02-01-14, 09:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

It's Clark Gable's birthday so I'm opening this Challenge with a new-to-me film of his, Teacher's Pet.
Old 02-01-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Does this TCM Documentary count?

And The Oscar Goes To... (2014) 95 min
A documentary tracing the history of the Academy Awards.
Dir: Robert Epstein
Old 02-01-14, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by KaBluie

I would suggest that you count it towards the total, but render it ineligible for the checklist. It's Oscars-y, so safe but neither nominated or winning, so not check-able. In my opinion.
Old 02-01-14, 11:44 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KaBluie

I'm looking forward to seeing it!
Old 02-01-14, 11:51 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Updated:

The following 2014 Oscar nominees are currently available on DVD / Blu-Ray or via Netflix Streaming:

The Act Of Killing (Streaming / DVD, Blu)
Before Midnight (DVD, Blu)
Blue Jasmine (DVD, Blu)
Captain Phillips (DVD, Blu)
The Croods (Streaming [3D and Flat] / DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
Cutie And The Boxer (Streaming / DVD, Blu on 2/4)
Dallas Buyers Club (DVD, Blu on 2/4)
Despicable Me 2 (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
Dirty Wars (Streaming / DVD)
The Grandmaster (PPV - [Vudu, Amazon Instant Video, etc]
The Great Gatsby (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
The Hunt (Streaming / DVD, Blu)
Iron Man 3 (DVD, Blu)
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (DVD, Blu)
The Lone Ranger (DVD, Blu)
Prisoners (DVD, Blu)
The Square (Streaming)
Star Trek Into Darkness (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
20 Feet From Stardom (DVD, Blu)

The following shorts can be found on the web for free or via rental/download:

Feral (Vimeo On Demand)
The Lady In Number 6 (Vimeo On Demand / nickreedent.com)
Room On The Broom (Available at select Redbox locations in the US)

ShortsHD is presenting the Live Action, Animated and Documentary shorts in theaters now. The programs will also be available on iTunes/Amazon Instant Video and Pay Per View/VOD starting February 25th (link).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.