Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 01-25-14, 04:46 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
popcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Can's Ass
Posts: 1,421
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by The Monkees
The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge


External Links

TCM's 31 Days of Oscar Schedule
Academy Award Database ---> To check if a movie has been nominated or won an Award
2013 In Memoriam List ---> To See Who Died During 2013
Here are 18 Oscar nominees you can watch online right now.
Old 01-26-14, 12:14 AM
  #52  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,260
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by LJG765
I quite agree. The whole ending for me was glorious. It may have been eye candy only, but the whole soundtrack timed up with the action was perfect. I'd been waiting the whole movie to hear the theme and there it was and perfectly sync'd (imo) with the action. Does it drag a bit? Yup, but I don't think it deserves the whole scale condemnation that it gets.
The ending is definitely one of the best. I was hoping for more Overture after the brief snippet at the start (flashback-flashforward to the bank 'robbery'), and the rooftop ride did not disappoint, then segued into the great train jumping action bits.

I kept waiting for it to drag, but for me it barely did. The middle had less action, for certain, but the whole thing flew by. It's nearly three hours long, but it never felt like it at all.
Old 01-26-14, 12:43 AM
  #53  
Mao
Moderator
 
Mao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 7,388
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by ntnon
The ending is definitely one of the best. I was hoping for more Overture after the brief snippet at the start (flashback-flashforward to the bank 'robbery'), and the rooftop ride did not disappoint, then segued into the great train jumping action bits.

I kept waiting for it to drag, but for me it barely did. The middle had less action, for certain, but the whole thing flew by. It's nearly three hours long, but it never felt like it at all.
Good to hear some love for one of the more under-appreciated movies of the year...I liked it quite a bit...nowhere near the disaster it was made out to be.
Old 01-26-14, 07:56 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sanger, TX
Posts: 3,552
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I'm ready. Going to introduce my kids to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobit
Old 01-27-14, 02:29 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Random question: I was looking at the nominees for animated shorts and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find them online? Are they online yet? You'd think there would be something somewhere with the Oscars coming up. I've only been able to watch one, the Disney one, "Get a Horse!"

(The others are "Feral," "Mr. Hublot," "Possessions/Tsukumo" and "Room on the Broom.")

Thanks!
Old 01-27-14, 04:21 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
mrcellophane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,717
Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by LJG765
Random question: I was looking at the nominees for animated shorts and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find them online? Are they online yet? You'd think there would be something somewhere with the Oscars coming up. I've only been able to watch one, the Disney one, "Get a Horse!"

(The others are "Feral," "Mr. Hublot," "Possessions/Tsukumo" and "Room on the Broom.")

Thanks!
I couldn't find any of them online. However, one of the movie theaters in my area is screening them in one large chunk so you may look to see if that is a possibility where you are. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 01-27-14, 04:24 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I wonder if TCM and AMC are getting a head start on their Oscar winning movies, as I've noticed Oscar winning movies off and on the past few days on those two channels.
Old 01-27-14, 06:21 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I couldn't find any of them online. However, one of the movie theaters in my area is screening them in one large chunk so you may look to see if that is a possibility where you are. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Thanks for looking. I checked last night and the only one I could kind of find was Possessions but they wanted you to sign up and I wasn't comfortable with doing that.

I'll take a look at my local theaters, but honestly, I doubt they'll be there. We're not big enough to get stuff like that the majority of time.

Thanks again! It was worth a shot...
Old 01-27-14, 06:32 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I did go looking and I was right, no theaters near me. I'd have to drive 100 miles to Minneapolis, and when it's -20 out this week, just not going to happen. However, here's the link if someone else wants to see if a theater near them has them. It also has the ability to look for any type of film-so if you're interested in documentary or live action, look here as well.
Old 01-27-14, 06:37 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 5,979
Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I wonder if TCM and AMC are getting a head start on their Oscar winning movies, as I've noticed Oscar winning movies off and on the past few days on those two channels.
TCM has been showing a fair number of Oscar films in the last week or so and I've been filling my DVR with titles to watch. They showed Jaws and Alien the other day and it was so hard for me to not watch them!
Old 01-27-14, 07:08 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,387
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by lisadoris
TCM has been showing a fair number of Oscar films in the last week or so and I've been filling my DVR with titles to watch. They showed Jaws and Alien the other day and it was so hard for me to not watch them!
The only reason I didn't watch them, is I have them on DVD, so I can watch them any time during the challenge.
Old 01-27-14, 09:14 PM
  #62  
Mao
Moderator
 
Mao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 7,388
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

The following 2014 Oscar nominees are currently available on DVD / Blu-Ray or via Netflix Streaming:


The Act Of Killing (Streaming / DVD, Blu)
Before Midnight (DVD, Blu)
Blue Jasmine (DVD, Blu)
Captain Phillips (DVD, Blu)
The Croods (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
Cutie And The Boxer (Steaming / DVD, Blu on 2/4)
Despicable Me 2 (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
Dirty Wars (Streaming / DVD)
The Great Gatsby (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
The Hunt (Streaming / DVD, Blu)
Iron Man 3 (DVD, Blu)
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (DVD, Blu)
The Lone Ranger (DVD, Blu)
Prisoners (DVD, Blu)
The Square (Streaming)
Star Trek Into Darkness (DVD, Blu, 3D Blu)
20 Feet From Stardom (DVD, Blu)


The following shorts can be found on the web for free or via rental/download:

Feral (Vimeo On Demand)
The Lady In Number 6 (Vimeo On Demand / nickreedent.com)
Room On The Broom (Available at select Redbox locations in the US)


ShortsHD will be presenting the Live Action, Animated and Documentary shorts beginning this Friday in theaters. The programs will also be available on iTunes/Amazon Instant Video and Pay Per View/VOD starting 25th February (link)

Last edited by Mao; 02-01-14 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 10:17 PM
  #63  
Mao
Moderator
 
Mao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 7,388
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

The Grandmaster is available on Vudu and other PPV services, as well...
Old 01-28-14, 12:36 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by Mao
Feral (Vimeo On Demand)
The Lady In Number 6 (Vimeo On Demand / nickreedent.com)
Room On The Broom (Available at select Redbox locations in the US)
THANKS! "Room on the Broom" was at the top of the list to watch along with "Feral." "Room" is actually at a Redbox near me; I've never used it before, but first time for everything, right?

I haven't looked at Vimeo, but that is next on my list.
Old 01-28-14, 04:55 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,260
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by Mao
Good to hear some love for one of the more under-appreciated movies of the year...I liked it quite a bit...nowhere near the disaster it was made out to be.
I can only assume that a) it was an under-known, less cared-for property than anticipated* and b) sounded far too long on paper**.



*Like John Carter (of Mars), and Green Hornet, an attempt to jumpstart a pulp revival after comics did so well.

**But, I feel, flew by in practice.
Old 01-28-14, 04:59 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,260
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by LJG765
THANKS! "Room on the Broom" was at the top of the list to watch along with "Feral." "Room" is actually at a Redbox near me; I've never used it before, but first time for everything, right?
Me neither. But I think it's one of the places that often runs free promotional offers, so keep an eye out for those. (Unless I'm imagining it... )
Old 01-30-14, 02:17 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Am I missing the list thread? I tried clicking on the link in the first post, but no dice...

Last edited by LJG765; 01-30-14 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-30-14, 07:32 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,228
Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Not active yet
Old 01-30-14, 10:13 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
LJG765's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,939
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Travis found the Disney one online. Get a Horse!
Old 01-30-14, 11:14 PM
  #70  
Mao
Moderator
 
Mao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 7,388
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by LJG765
Travis found the Disney one online. Get a Horse!
Unfortunately, only the first minute of the short...
Old 01-30-14, 11:25 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by Mao
Unfortunately, only the first minute of the short...
Natch! They had the whole thing up not too long ago, 'cause I watched it. I guess they reduced it to the abridged version when they announced the Oscar noms?
Old 01-31-14, 03:14 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,260
Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Frozen - and Sing-a-long Frozen are still playing in most theaters, so you'd get to see two nominees for the price of one..!
Old 01-31-14, 10:33 AM
  #73  
Member
 
PCBreakdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 192
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I'm excited for this challenge. Not going overboard, like I did with Horror, Comedy, and TV, but this is interesting new territory for me. I generally watch things that are less than critically acclaimed and award winning. Left to my own devices, I'd probably just watch more Syfy originals than I would want to admit. So I have a wealth of unseen winners and nominees to choose from. Planning on watching Ghost first, as I haven't even seen that yet.
Old 01-31-14, 12:10 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Travis McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Western Hemisphere
Posts: 7,758
Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I'm excited for this challenge. Not going overboard, like I did with Horror, Comedy, and TV, but this is interesting new territory for me. I generally watch things that are less than critically acclaimed and award winning. Left to my own devices, I'd probably just watch more Syfy originals than I would want to admit. So I have a wealth of unseen winners and nominees to choose from. Planning on watching Ghost first, as I haven't even seen that yet.
The fun thing is, because of categories like Makeup, Visual Effects, and the two Sound categories, you can still mix in a healthy dose of "pedestrian fare" (like all three live-action Transformers movies, for instance). It ain't all biopics of Victorian figures and Holocaust survivors.

Also, true to form, this challenge starts tomorrow and I've put absolutely no effort or thought whatsoever into making arrangements about the Documentary categories. I'm pretty sure at least one or two Documentary (Feature) winners have made their way into The Criterion Collection on Hulu, so I'll just go with one of those. No idea what I'll do about Documentary (Short) just yet... :/
Old 01-31-14, 12:45 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,228
Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

A little more then 10 hours...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.