Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 01-15-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I love this challenge. This year I will "challenge" myself to only watch winners... with the exception of the AMC Best Picture Marathon!
Old 01-15-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I've got about 30 movies I own that are eligible and I know I can track down shorts, documentaries, and even some movies on YouTube and there is always TV too, so I'm set.
Old 01-15-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,014 Likes on 838 Posts

This one isn't about volume for me. If I can watch a number of this year's nominees plus take a few older films off the unwatched pile, I declare victory.
Old 01-15-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's not about volume for me either, my main focus is rewatching old favorites and new acquisitions that are also eligible, some new ones are the Alien, Star Trek and Star Wars movies.
Old 01-16-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have a question that I think I know the answer to, but I want to make sure. Is it only the theatrical editions of movies that count? I believe the answer is yes which means no directors cuts, but I wanted to make sure.
I would say director's cuts are fine, I don't think it really makes that big of a difference.
Old 01-16-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

This year's nominations were announced today. I created a list ("86th Academy Awards [2014]") on Letterboxd of 'em, in case anyone uses that site or finds it helpful.
Old 01-16-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
This year's nominations were announced today. I created a list ("86th Academy Awards [2014]") on Letterboxd of 'em, in case anyone uses that site or finds it helpful.
Yay, nominations!!! There are a lot of films that I need to watch before March 2nd. Apparently, I was too busy watching older films to see any new films in 2013.
Old 01-16-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll do what I can. I've seen a fair amount of nominees for this year already and will be watching lots.
Old 01-16-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I need to watch Her, August: Osage County, Philomena, Blue Jasmine, Nebraska, Dallas Buyers Club and Wolf of Wall Street to cover all the major awards... I am gonna try to knock it out before the Challenge starts so I can focus on my dvr, and whatever is on Tcm's 30 days of Oscars.
Old 01-16-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least I can wait another month before buying Pacific Rim, as I figured I was going to watch it for this challenge, but now I can save it for the Action Adventure Challenge
Old 01-17-14, 08:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

One thing this Challenge will spur me to do is to re-shelf my Best Picture Winners collection. Several years ago I bought and watched every one for this Challenge, then put them in a box where they've mainly stayed since. I've reorganized my DVDs (for the thousandth time) and have a shelf reserved for all the winners. I'll need to buy the last few years of winners, and will at least watch those for this Challenge.
Old 01-17-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

It's kind of sad that the only film Ray Harryhausen worked on that's eligible for this challenge is MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949), which won for Best Special Effects (over a Susan Hayward oil-drilling melodrama called TULSA), although his boss on the film, Willis O'Brien, got the sole Oscar for it. But no other films of his were even nominated!

However, in 1992, Harryhausen won the honorary Gordon E. Sawyer Award (for technical achievement), which was handed out at a separate ceremony (oh, the injustice!). Which raises the question: do these oddball awards make the work by any of their winners eligible for this challenge? My instinct is to say no, because it would open up every film made by anybody who got an honorary Oscar, e.g. Roger Corman, who made hundreds of B-movies that never came anywhere near an Oscar. This would kind of defeat the purpose of the Challenge, which is to get people here to watch Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning films. Just a thought, never mind.
Old 01-17-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's kind of sad that the only film Ray Harryhausen worked on that's eligible for this challenge is MIGHTY JOE YOUNG (1949), which won for Best Special Effects (over a Susan Hayward oil-drilling melodrama called TULSA), although his boss on the film, Willis O'Brien, got the sole Oscar for it. But no other films of his were even nominated!

However, in 1992, Harryhausen won the honorary Gordon E. Sawyer Award (for technical achievement), which was handed out at a separate ceremony (oh, the injustice!). Which raises the question: do these oddball awards make the work by any of their winners eligible for this challenge? My instinct is to say no, because it would open up every film made by anybody who got an honorary Oscar, e.g. Roger Corman, who made hundreds of B-movies that never came anywhere near an Oscar. This would kind of defeat the purpose of the Challenge, which is to get people here to watch Oscar-nominated and Oscar-winning films. Just a thought, never mind.
I know what you mean, I checked every one of my Harryhausen pictures with the Academy Award Database and was surprised to see that none of them were eligible as none of the ones I owned had even been nominated. I thought at least Jason and the Argonauts would have been nominated.
Old 01-18-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

So I've started the challenge early. When the nominations were announced I realized I had only seen four of the films, and one of those was the short before Frozen. I decided to get on the ball and went to the theater to see August: Osage County and The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.

Being an Oklahoman, I'm always interested to see films set in my great state, but I was cautious since several of the critics I like wrote lackluster reviews and To the Wonder was the last film I watched that was set in Oklahoma. It was… a trial to get through. However, this film is wonderful and very evocative of certain Oklahoman qualities, raising questions about what it means to stay and to leave and what your decision says about you. Also, we're all addicted to drugs and slightly sociopathic! (just kidding)

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is glorious fan fiction that had to be partially conceived by an eleven year-old boy. Watching the film reminded me of reading when I was young; I would reimagine parts of narratives, working myself into the story or making up my own stories for the characters. Anyways, my Oscar watching is off to a good start!
Old 01-18-14, 12:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The AMC best picture showcase info is up if anyone is interested https://www.amctheatres.com/events/b...cture-showcase.
Old 01-18-14, 02:56 PM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

Already had The Lone Ranger out of the library, and since it was due back couldn't hold onto it for a few weeks, so I watched it early.

What a great film! I know it was considered a fairly big flop - like John Carter (of Mars) - but that many of those who braved the length enjoyed it. I also recently read a review that said the middle dragged but the finale was the equal of many a great film. And it really was... more importantly, most of the rest of it was rather good, too. There's a chance that my expectations were lowered enough to enjoy it more, but I think it was genuinely a strong film.
Old 01-18-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://31days.tcm.com/

TCM's 31 days of Oscar schedule
Old 01-19-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Already had The Lone Ranger out of the library, and since it was due back couldn't hold onto it for a few weeks, so I watched it early.

What a great film! I know it was considered a fairly big flop - like John Carter (of Mars) - but that many of those who braved the length enjoyed it. I also recently read a review that said the middle dragged but the finale was the equal of many a great film. And it really was... more importantly, most of the rest of it was rather good, too. There's a chance that my expectations were lowered enough to enjoy it more, but I think it was genuinely a strong film.
I quite agree. The whole ending for me was glorious. It may have been eye candy only, but the whole soundtrack timed up with the action was perfect. I'd been waiting the whole movie to hear the theme and there it was and perfectly sync'd (imo) with the action. Does it drag a bit? Yup, but I don't think it deserves the whole scale condemnation that it gets.

I've just got back from a mini vacation, so I haven't been keeping up with the nominees or anything. But I do plan on joining this challenge for the first time, as I skipped it last year.

Finally got a chance to see "The Hobbit," another eye candy movie. I wanted to see it in the theater and knew that if I waited to see it for the challenge, it wouldn't last that long.
Old 01-19-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pondering watching some of my movies early, as I have no problem rewatching some of my favorite movies anyways.
Old 01-21-14, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like maybe I've asked this question before, but I've forgotten. For the decades section on the checklist. Is it a film that won in ANY category, or just a Best Picture winner? It seems like most are doing any category. I'm just confused by the "film winner" portion.

I'm thinking about finally watching the Lord of the Rings films as they are glaring holes in my completion checklists. I disliked the first film so much that I actually turned it off 2 hours in...an extremely rare case for me. It's been around 10 years now and I'm thinking of giving it another shot, if for no other reason than The Return of the King is one of the few Best Picture winners that I've never seen.
Old 01-22-14, 01:54 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Have we considered starting on Feb 1st? That would make it an even 30 days ending on March 2nd (Oscar Day).

Just a though...I'm raring to go!
Old 01-22-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mao
Have we considered starting on Feb 1st? That would make it an even 30 days ending on March 2nd (Oscar Day).

Just a though...I'm raring to go!
I'd be down for that too.
Old 01-22-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

3rded!
Old 01-22-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed... Tcm starts on the 1st
Old 01-23-14, 12:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I can agree with this too, the new start date will be February 1st.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.