Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 03-03-14, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by popcorn
FIN. This year I did all past winners and only nominees from this year's ceremony. Next year, I think I going to try to only watch films that I've never seen. Now that will be a challenge! In the meanwhile, time to take a break. Maybe I might do a Make Your Own one in May (Movies Unwrapped); otherwise, I'm taking off until July (Sci-Fi/Fantasy).
Well now you're going to have to do it just so I can find out what "Movies Unwrapped" means (plus that's one of the Challenges I host, and I want all the participants I can get).
Old 03-04-14, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I managed to watch 14 of my 20 items in the theater (all feature length)! Probably will never match that again in any challenge!
Old 03-04-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Just wanted to thank The Monkees for hosting this challenge. It was fun!
Old 03-04-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I too would like to thank The Monkees for a great challenge.
Old 03-04-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto! Always a great challenge.
Old 03-04-14, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Ditto! The challenge helped me be more prepared than ever for the Oscars and got quite a few of past Best Picture winners off my never seen list! Awesome job, everyone!
Old 03-23-14, 08:26 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Well, I haven't quite stopped this challenge yet....lol.

Once this finished, I decided that I see a lot of crap each year. I make it a goal of watching just about every theatrically released title that comes out each year.

It occurred to me that I'm leaving a whole lot of old, wonderful films behind, many from my own collection of favorites, many that I have never seen. About the time of the 75th Oscars, I decided to do a year and a half project of watching all of the Best Pictures in order. It was an awesome experience and opened me up to an amazing array of films.

So, just after this years Oscar Challenge, I decided to embark on a "many-years-long" challenge. I have decided to mix into my normal viewing, any film other than a Best Picture winner, that has won an Oscar that I can get my hands on, just shy of having to purchase it on ebay or Amazon. You can follow my progress (started a bit out of sequence) at http://letterboxd.com/michael1962/films/diary/

It's gonna take awhile and, though some people may not agree with the Academy as a barometer of taste, well...I do. And I'm excited at the prospects of seeing some excellent films along the way.

Wish me luck....and see you next year for the 9th Annual Challenge!
Old 03-23-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mao

Once this finished, I decided that I see a lot of crap each year. I make it a goal of watching just about every theatrically released title that comes out each year.

It occurred to me that I'm leaving a whole lot of old, wonderful films behind, many from my own collection of favorites, many that I have never seen. About the time of the 75th Oscars, I decided to do a year and a half project of watching all of the Best Pictures in order. It was an awesome experience and opened me up to an amazing array of films.

So, just after this years Oscar Challenge, I decided to embark on a "many-years-long" challenge. I have decided to mix into my normal viewing, any film other than a Best Picture winner, that has won an Oscar that I can get my hands on, just shy of having to purchase it on ebay or Amazon. You can follow my progress (started a bit out of sequence) at http://letterboxd.com/michael1962/films/diary/

It's gonna take awhile and, though some people may not agree with the Academy as a barometer of taste, well...I do. And I'm excited at the prospects of seeing some excellent films along the way.

Wish me luck....and see you next year for the 9th Annual Challenge!
Kudos to you for undertaking such a monumental challenge. I wish you luck in completing it, and hope you have fun along the way.
Old 03-23-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao

Once this finished, I decided that I see a lot of crap each year.
Using Flickchart made this apparent to me. I thought I could just sort of forget about all the mediocre movies, but nope! There they are, confronting me, and even when they're easy prey for better movies to beat, I've had to face them.

I just followed that link and started following you there. Are you going to start adding any diary entries to go with your viewings? Star ratings alone are not very helpful for indicating what your reactions are. Plus, I think for something as ambitious in scale as what you're undertaking, you'll want to be able to look back later and see what you wrote about different movies.

Anyway, good luck to ya! I'm finally nearing the end of my disc library audit. After that, I don't have any specific goals in mind at present, though yesterday I found myself thinking about AFI's "100 Years...100 Movies" series. I'd like to complete all those lists.
Old 03-23-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Using Flickchart made this apparent to me. I thought I could just sort of forget about all the mediocre movies, but nope! There they are, confronting me, and even when they're easy prey for better movies to beat, I've had to face them.

I just followed that link and started following you there. Are you going to start adding any diary entries to go with your viewings? Star ratings alone are not very helpful for indicating what your reactions are. Plus, I think for something as ambitious in scale as what you're undertaking, you'll want to be able to look back later and see what you wrote about different movies.

Anyway, good luck to ya! I'm finally nearing the end of my disc library audit. After that, I don't have any specific goals in mind at present, though yesterday I found myself thinking about AFI's "100 Years...100 Movies" series. I'd like to complete all those lists.

Good luck to you too.
Old 03-23-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Good luck to you too.
Thanks!
Old 03-24-14, 12:54 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Are you going to start adding any diary entries to go with your viewings? Star ratings alone are not very helpful for indicating what your reactions are. Plus, I think for something as ambitious in scale as what you're undertaking, you'll want to be able to look back later and see what you wrote about different movies.
You're right! I believe I shall!

I think any film challenge is a good challenge, as long as it opens you up to the history of film! Your AFI List is an awesome idea!
Old 03-24-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
I'll take this opportunity to pimp the May Make-Your-Own Challenge, which starts in just over five weeks, in case you guys want a place to list and show off your progress.
Old 03-24-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'll take this opportunity to pimp the May Make-Your-Own Challenge, which starts in just over five weeks, in case you guys want a place to list and show off your progress.
Thanks, but I've gotten accustomed to sitting out everything between Oscars and Historical Appreciation. For me, it's not just the watching; it's the reviewing, logging, and updating process that can become cumbersome in a hurry.
Old 03-24-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, but I've gotten accustomed to sitting out everything between Oscars and Historical Appreciation. For me, it's not just the watching; it's the reviewing, logging, and updating process that can become cumbersome in a hurry.
I thought you were one of those guys who enjoyed "the reviewing, logging, and updating process."
Old 03-24-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I thought you were one of those guys who enjoyed "the reviewing, logging, and updating process."
I enjoy it enough that I do it, but it becomes a chore at time.