Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 02-28-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I'm finished with my movie watching. I'll watch the TCM Oscar documentary tomorrow and that will mark the official end of this challenge for little ole me.

I watched my final musical today with Fiddler on the Roof and while I thought it was a good film I didn't think it needed to be a musical. My last film is The Apartment which is fitting since this film has one of the most perfect endings in film history IMHO.

In honor of the start of Spring Training I also watched Bull Durham today and that film just never ages. It was nominated for original screenplay and that was a tough year for that category with Big, A Fish Called Wanda, Running on Empty, and the winner Rain Man. Odd thing is, Rain Man is the film I like the least out of those nominees.
Old 02-28-14, 05:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I'm finished with my movie watching. I'll watch the TCM Oscar documentary tomorrow and that will mark the official end of this challenge for little ole me.

I watched my final musical today with Fiddler on the Roof and while I thought it was a good film I didn't think it needed to be a musical. My last film is The Apartment which is fitting since this film has one of the most perfect endings in film history IMHO.

In honor of the start of Spring Training I also watched Bull Durham today and that film just never ages. It was nominated for original screenplay and that was a tough year for that category with Big, A Fish Called Wanda, Running on Empty, and the winner Rain Man. Odd thing is, Rain Man is the film I like the least out of those nominees.
I love love love 'The Apartment' !

oh and small quip, what's up with some of your lists with the really really small lettering and the unbolded film titles - you guys are killing me - specifically my eyes.
Old 02-28-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I use a small font because 100 titles plus categories makes for a really long list. I wanted to make it easier for folks scrolling through the page. I thought I did bold all the titles but I'll double-check to make sure because yeah, that does get difficult to read especially for films that won or were nominated in a ton of categories.
Old 02-28-14, 06:08 PM

I personally quite like JennandTheCats use of blue lettering - it's very soothing and light on the eyes.

oh and lisadoris I wasn't meaning to pinpoint you... but some *ahem* other folk.
Old 03-01-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Did we ever get a ruling on whether we can extend the In Memorium period to include Philip Seymour Hoffman and Harold Ramis?
Old 03-01-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Gah. I'm way too lazy to finish off the checklist with re-watches. I have them planned:
Best Pic/Director=Rocky
Animated Film=Incredibles
Editing=Mary Poppins

Just don't feel like getting to them. We'll see what happens after I have a good lunch.
Old 03-01-14, 04:39 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Gah. I'm way too lazy to finish off the checklist with re-watches. I have them planned:
Best Pic/Director=Rocky
Animated Film=Incredibles
Editing=Mary Poppins

Just don't feel like getting to them. We'll see what happens after I have a good lunch.
You're almost there...you can do this!!!

Old 03-01-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm a little revitalized now. Got done watching Nebraska earlier (Enjoyed it more than I thought I would) I'll pop Poppins in momentarily<----What a line!
Old 03-02-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Friday night, I unexpectedly found myself watching Sling Blade with some friends. From my Letterboxd diary:
Spoiler:
This had been on my radar since it came out, and I have no idea why it took me so long to finally see it. It's especially surprising since it's among my brother's all-time favorites. He and I are wildly different in a lot of respects, but I think on some key points we're very much cut from the same cloth. So as I watched Sling Blade for the first time, I was mindful of not just how I was reacting to it, but also speculating how and why he reacted so strongly to it.

For me, Sling Blade at its heart is a study of masculinity. My brother is far more a traditional guy than I ever was. If I had to associate us with characters in the movie, he'd be Karl and I'd be Frankie. (Strange, since he's my baby brother, but there it is.) He's a self-identified simple man. He doesn't have much use for a lot of abstract concepts. He connects to tangible things, not unlike Karl (though he's much better at taking things apart than he is at putting them back together and getting them working).

On either side of us would be either the hyper-aggressive Doyle or Vaughan, Doyle's effeminate antithesis. I lean much more toward Vaughan. My brother's sense of humor is more like Doyle, but he doesn't have that kind of actual meanness in him at all. (He's actually a big softie, but people who only know him casually probably don't believe that.) I could see my brother taking it on himself to confront a real-life Doyle rather easily, actually, and it makes sense to me that he would identify with the film as he does. He has Karl's kind of nobility in him, which is something I've always admired about him.

For me, though, the kinship is with Frankie. I loathe aggression. Can't stand it. I know what it's like to be bullied for not being "a real man". (Hint: it sucks.) I know what it's like to "live in [your] heart", as Karl says of Frankie, and I know what it's like for that to be a "big" place that causes constant nervousness and anxiety. (Hint: this also sucks.)

My friend noted in our post-viewing discussion how important it is that the film is set in the South, where there's an inherited sense of mythical destiny to storytelling (see: Faulkner). I concur with that. There's a certain kind of pace to being in the South, where there ain't much else to do but to fixate on one another at times. Of course Karl should meet and befriend Frankie. Their paths had to cross. The film never tries to surprise us. Rather, its brilliance lies in conceding from the outset that it is obvious, in the way that the great Southern myths tend to be.

It was a bit odd that Dwight Yoakam should not just be in this movie, but that he should play its antagonist, because my brother and I have both been fans of his going back to his debut single, a cover of Johnny Horton's "Honky Tonk Man" in 1986. My brother was three years old that year. Any time the music video would come on CMT, he'd turn up the TV as loud as it would go. Watching Dwight be such a villain here felt like a bit of a betrayal on some level.

The other thing that caught my attention was how patient the film is with its story, specifically in the editing. There are a whole lot fewer cuts in this film than I think would be expected of it today. It was nice to see a movie that treats its audience like grown-ups to be trusted instead of fickle children to be bombarded out of fear. As much as the location settings, it's the editing that contributes to the palpable feeling of being in the South. (The fishbowl cinematography made sense to me, but I confess that it wore thin for me.)

A great double-feature companion for Sling Blade would be The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. (There, my brother is clearly John Wayne and I'm definitely James Stewart.)

How Sling Blade Entered My Flickchart

Sling Blade > I Don't Know How She Does It --> #809
Sling Blade > The Philadelphia Story --> #405
Sling Blade > Acting for the Camera --> #202
Sling Blade < The Departed --> #202
Sling Blade < Tomorrow Never Dies --> #202
Sling Blade > Ocean's Eleven (2001) --> #176
Sling Blade < In the Realm of the Senses --> #176
Sling Blade < Licence to Kill --> #176
Sling Blade < Pure Country --> #176
Sling Blade < Black Dynamite --> #176

Sling Blade entered my Flickchart at #176/1618

1996 Academy Awards (69th)
(N) ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE -- Billy Bob Thornton {"Karl Childers"}
(W) WRITING (Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published) -- Billy Bob Thornton
Old 03-02-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

This morning I finally watched 12 Years a Slave, thus completing all of the Best Picture nominees for the ceremony later today. Like a lot of the films this year, it is a very effecting one, and I got emotional several times. I haven't read the book, but have heard a presentation over it for a class on the Harlem Renaissance and the influences on it. One of the harrowing things about the film are the scenes were something horrific is happening in the background while people go about their business. There is a mundaneness surrounding the events that is numbing.

I'm halfway through All Is Lost and will finish up while my friends watch Ernest and Celestine. After that, I will have seen 43 of the 57 nominated films (33 features and 10 shorts). This is definitely the best I've ever done. I would have seen a few more (including the documentary shorts), but as I mentioned before, I really hit movie fatigue this week - especially when it came to films about heavy subject matter. This is why instead of watching The Book Thief and Prisoners, I settled on How to Marry a Millionaire and The Adventures of Tintin (the latter for double credit since it counts for the other challenge).
Old 03-02-14, 02:14 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

All done!

Closed and archived my list. Ended up with 30 features + Ceremony, along with 27 shorts....total of 58. An improvement over last year with the shorts.

Had a wonderful time revisiting some classics along with a large mix of this year's nominees. Just waiting till showtime!

Happy Oscar Day, Everyone!!!!!
Old 03-02-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
All done!

Closed and archived my list. Ended up with 30 features + Ceremony, along with 27 shorts....total of 58. An improvement over last year with the shorts.

Had a wonderful time revisiting some classics along with a large mix of this year's nominees. Just waiting till showtime!

Happy Oscar Day, Everyone!!!!!
Happy Oscar Day, to you!
Old 03-02-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Happy Oscar Day everyone!

Though I won't actually watch the Oscars, I finished my list and met all of my goals. I watched 101 titles, which included the TCM Oscar documentary, and 54 of the titles I watched were first-time viewings.

Enjoy the ceremony (and/or those last minute viewings)
Old 03-02-14, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Happy Oscar Day everyone. Haven't decided yet if I'm watching the Oscars tonight or not, but I got in a double credit movie earlier today, Jurassic Park.
Old 03-02-14, 05:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I finished off the movies part of the challenge with A Clockwork Orange which was on my list of shame having only seen bits and pieces of it. I liked it, but can see where this is something that would really benefit from multiple viewings. Overall, I got in 44 films which accomplished my goal of 40. 41 were feature length films and I only watched the minimum 3 short films required for the checklist. 42 of the 44 were first time watches, including several blindspots from my list of shame, so I am very happy with what I got in during this challenge. Now onwards to the ceremony.
Old 03-02-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Just have to add the Oscars to my list and I'm done. It'll be 31 watches including the actual ceremony. 26 first time watches (24 if you just look at the nominees/winners). Not too shabby, I don't think, for my first AA challenge.
Old 03-03-14, 12:11 AM

my list is complete!

thoughts forthcoming - off to bed - I'm zonked...
Old 03-03-14, 12:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Finished my main goal of watching all the best picture nominations since 2000 that I hadn't seen (which wasn't chosen for any reason really except I only need 15), and decided I think I'm going to keep this up going in reverse order so will work on 90s next. I have about 30ish I think so I'll work on them in other challenges throughout the year and work on finishing it during the next academy awards challenge.
Old 03-03-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished with 39. A nice mixture of movies, some shorts, and a few documentaries. Didn't have access to Netflix, but saw quite a bit on Youtube.
Tried to watch the Oscars, but I was so tired, I fell asleep soon after it began, so Jurassic Park was the last item on my list.
Old 03-03-14, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up hitting 100 right on the dot! That was totally unplanned!

Too tired to look over the list to see what my favorites were, but I can safely say that The Sessions was my #1 discovery of this challenge.
Old 03-03-14, 08:01 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Ended with a dozen or so. Had planned to end it with a viewing of the show last night, but both cable boxes are now broken, and the watch ABC app refused to load the show. Have been meaning to cancel cable anyway, I should do that today.
Old 03-03-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Ended with a dozen or so. Had planned to end it with a viewing of the show last night, but both cable boxes are now broken, and the watch ABC app refused to load the show. Have been meaning to cancel cable anyway, I should do that today.
We don't even have cable. We have Dish.
Old 03-03-14, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Including the Oscar broadcast, I was able to hit 20 this month. Although this was not a lofty goal, I did manage to see all best picture nominees on the big screen as well as several in other categories. It made the broadcast way more enjoyable than usual since I could make educated guesses in most of the major categories. I quite enjoyed this month's challenge because of it and will likely participate in a similar fashion next year.

Great shout out to Harold Ramis by Bill Murray during his Oscar presentation for best cinematography!
Old 03-03-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

I was going good, and then just hit a wall. Too stressed out with shit at work. I dindn't want to watch anything... sucks because besides the Horror challenge, this is my favorite one. I ended up deleting a bunch of shit off my dvr that I planned on watching.
Old 03-03-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FIN. This year I did all past winners and only nominees from this year's ceremony. Next year, I think I going to try to only watch films that I've never seen. Now that will be a challenge! In the meanwhile, time to take a break. Maybe I might do a Make Your Own one in May (Movies Unwrapped); otherwise, I'm taking off until July (Sci-Fi/Fantasy).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.