Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 02-25-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I got to thinking, and maybe we should revise the "In Memoriam" clause to cover anyone who passes away between Oscars, not in the last calendar year. That would make more sense to me, since folks like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Harold Ramis will certainly be acknowledged on Sunday, but our challenge won't include them until 2015.
I agree. I'm mourning these guys now. Who knows who I'll be mourning by next February. Wow. That's a depressing thought.
Old 02-25-14, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I got to thinking, and maybe we should revise the "In Memoriam" clause to cover anyone who passes away between Oscars, not in the last calendar year. That would make more sense to me, since folks like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Harold Ramis will certainly be acknowledged on Sunday, but our challenge won't include them until 2015.
Yeah, that change would make a lot of sense.

I am pleased to have completed the checklist last night with my viewing of Babette's Feast to finish off the decades.
Old 02-25-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I am also good with Travis' suggestion! I think it makes a lot of sense, myself.

I finally watched "Cinema Paradiso." I really enjoyed it. It did start of kind of slow, and it's a fairly slow paced film, but I really became involved in it. I wanted to know what happened to Toto and Alfredo and everyone. Thanks to Mondo Kane for suggesting it!

There's a few more days left of the challenge. At this point, I'm not sure what else I'll fit in, probably no more first time watches but I hope to get at least a couple "fun" movies in like "Lilo & Stitch."
Old 02-26-14, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Since I've already included Hoffman and Raimis in my challenge for this year I'm clearly on board for altering the "In Memoriam" rule.

To lighten things up a bit I watched My man Godfrey last night and that film was hilarious. Barring some unforeseen circumstances, I should be able to get to 100 by Friday.
Old 02-26-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

While it took 3 different sittings, I finally managed to complete the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Since I didn't complete it last year, I have to say it was worth it to revisit the trilogy.
Old 02-26-14, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time. Roughly 10 years ago, I attempted the first film and gave up after 2 hours; a rarity for me. I thought I would go through life without ever watching them, mainly because it's not my type of film, but the gnawing feeling that I hadn't seen the 2003 Best Picture winner, along with this challenge, and people asking why I don't like the films made me decide to give them a spin.

I've read through some of the praise here (and the rest of the internet) and I understand why people like them, but I just can't connect on any real level with the films. I can agree that the third film in the trilogy is the most interesting and beautifully shot (sound is great as well!), but I could never get past what feels like a plodding storyline with not-very-good writing. I actually found the Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli portion of the films the most fun and interesting, but I also felt like things were disjointed and proceeded without any real explanation. It's incredible to watch 9 hours of film and feel like you don't really know the characters. I think there was plenty that could be cut and replaced with further backstory, motivations, etc.

I'm not saying this to troll on those that like the films, as I said, I get why one might like them, but it just doesn't connect with me.

SIDE NOTE: I watched Kon-Tiki because of Travis' review and it did not disappoint. A great underrated documentary.
Old 02-26-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know if it's the lack of quality sleep or what, but I'm having a hard time following the first half of this. As far as the bit that a jerk isn't always a jerk, or feels self-justified, that's still a jerk. In fact, that's the recipe for a superjerk, because a jerk is inconsiderate; a superjerk actually feels entitled to be a jerk, and that's what the characters in Crash seem to believe about themselves.
Probably a perfect storm of sleeplessness and my inarticulacy...

Just in case you care, I'll give it another try! Your two points paraphrased - people with guns manufacture problems; things and people are never This or That, but a mixture - I agree with completely. The former (gun) thought is naturally an over-simplification, but I wonder if it's not also an "un-American" one (I'm not American), and that many people get caught up in Amendments and refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that gun ownership exacerbates problems (of COURSE it does), let alone creates them... so it's particularly interesting that a film which appears to portray that opinion could win. Maybe it's "left-leaning Hollywood"...

As for jerks being jerks, well... I broadly agree with your reiteration above, and yet I feel that there's a slim distinction between learned behaviour, imitated behaviour and created behaviour. A "superjerk," to me, has to know they're a jerk and revel in it (created), whereas the more minor shades of jerkery either imitate the society they see (to great degree explainable, if not necessarily excusable) or learn to be a jerk through adverse circumstances (arguably more excusable). I see more of the badly-brought-up, seen-to-be-necessary and never-been-told-they're-wrong kinds of jerk in Crash, so I can understand and even partially excuse them far more than the couple of REAL jerks I know.

Any more coherence or sense this time around...?!

Probably makes sense. Make it the year plus a couple of months. If people get acknowledged twice that's better than not at all.
Old 02-26-14, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant
I just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time.... [I] felt like things were disjointed and proceeded without any real explanation. It's incredible to watch 9 hours of film and feel like you don't really know the characters. I think there was plenty that could be cut and replaced with further backstory, motivations, etc.
I wasn't able to approach it in such a way as to assess that (all those years ago), but I certainly got that impression from a couple of the Harry Potter films - that you would have a hard time following them without being familiar with the plot already. Certainly that feeling might apply to LotR, too. It is a failing of a film to not stand completely alone from the book - even as it can reasonably expect it's core audience to have the knowledge to follow it anyway - so I will be interested to see if I agree with this thought when (if!) I get round to watching it all again.
Old 02-26-14, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I wasn't able to approach it in such a way as to assess that (all those years ago), but I certainly got that impression from a couple of the Harry Potter films - that you would have a hard time following them without being familiar with the plot already. Certainly that feeling might apply to LotR, too. It is a failing of a film to not stand completely alone from the book - even as it can reasonably expect it's core audience to have the knowledge to follow it anyway - so I will be interested to see if I agree with this thought when (if!) I get round to watching it all again.
The response I've received from Lord of the Rings fans, in general, is that I need to read the books to understand the movie. I'm in agreement with you; it's a failure for a film to not stand on its own, outside the source material.

You can look at a film like Branagh's Hamlet and it's essentially a detailed, faithful adaptation of the primary text and it works, and works well. I felt The Road, likewise, is a faithful adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel (which I love), but it doesn't work as a film. Part of the strength of that novel is in the words, which are difficult to convey in any other way.

Alternatively, you can derail from the primary text significantly and have a successful or unsuccessful film. The primary text should be a different conversation from the film experience.

I've only seen the first Harry Potter film, and I haven't read the books, but I had no problem following the storyline, identifying with characters, understanding motivations, etc.; however, it's been quite a while since I saw that first film.
Old 02-26-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched another first time view, The Patriot with Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger. I have to say that Mel Gibson has certainly come a long way since his days as Mad Max. I'm surprised that while the film itself got 3 Oscar nods, neither Mel, nor Heath got one.
Old 02-26-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

The response I've received from Lord of the Rings fans, in general, is that I need to read the books to understand the movie. I'm in agreement with you; it's a failure for a film to not stand on its own, outside the source material...
Yes... read the books. While I feel the films stand alone it really helps to know the world Tolkien built. I really can't be totally objective as I first read the novel *decades* ago and was totally familiar with the world when the films came out. My son had not and really enjoyed the films but he's also a fantasy fan which I feel helps tremendously.

The books jump around much like the films so maybe that's what's throwing you. There are *several* stories going on and just when one starts to get *really* interesting - BOOM - you're thrown to another group. Dickens did much the same thing in many of his novels and I always found it to be a distraction when younger although I grew to appreciate such a story telling method as I aged. Another issue people have with Tolkien's books is they can tend to read somewhat like a travelogue. You get part of that in the films which can sometimes feel like the story is bogging down.
Old 02-26-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I just watched the Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time. Roughly 10 years ago, I attempted the first film and gave up after 2 hours; a rarity for me. I thought I would go through life without ever watching them, mainly because it's not my type of film, but the gnawing feeling that I hadn't seen the 2003 Best Picture winner, along with this challenge, and people asking why I don't like the films made me decide to give them a spin.

I've read through some of the praise here (and the rest of the internet) and I understand why people like them, but I just can't connect on any real level with the films. I can agree that the third film in the trilogy is the most interesting and beautifully shot (sound is great as well!), but I could never get past what feels like a plodding storyline with not-very-good writing. I actually found the Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli portion of the films the most fun and interesting, but I also felt like things were disjointed and proceeded without any real explanation. It's incredible to watch 9 hours of film and feel like you don't really know the characters. I think there was plenty that could be cut and replaced with further backstory, motivations, etc.

I'm not saying this to troll on those that like the films, as I said, I get why one might like them, but it just doesn't connect with me.
I had a similar reaction to the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. I just could never get immersed in that world. Evidently millions of people did, so Jackson clearly succeeded with much of the audience, just not me. Maybe it was all too abstract for me. I tried reading the first book, but I didn't get very far. All of the books were in the house when I was growing up and some siblings read them, but they never were able to persuade me to read them, if they even tried. When I think about it, the only fantasy fiction remotely like it that I was drawn to was the Conan the Barbarian stories by Robert E. Howard. Much less complicated, much more direct.

RE: Harry Potter...my big problem with the movies was the lack of an effort made to contrast the magic/wizards' world with the regular world Harry was leaving behind. I needed more of an orientation in the "real" world before I could accept the somewhat alternate universe Harry was entering. It just happens way too quickly in the first movie and he plunges much too quickly into all the magical stuff without what I felt would be an adequate period of rigorous training and stages of trial/error/failure. (Unlike, say, a great kung fu movie like THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, where you see the protagonist mastering each of the 36 chambers before leaving Shaolin to begin his campaign of resistance.) I tried reading the first Potter novel, but I didn't get too far.

So, what kinds of worlds like that DO I get into? Well, I've seen tons of fantasy anime and long, sprawling series like Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. And, of course, Pokemon. But those are sliced up into easily digestible half-hours, not three-hour movies. And I go through periods where I read lots of science fiction. I'm a big fan of Asimov's Foundation books. And when I was an adolescent, when I might have been a Tolkien fan or a reader of whatever the equivalent of Harry Potter was in the 1960s, I was a big James Bond fan, loving the movies and reading the novels by Ian Fleming. That was the world I plunged into.
Old 02-27-14, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Managed to make it to Philomena tonight. That was the last best picture nominee I needed to see. It was actually quite interesting. It won't win for best picture but I'm glad I saw it.
Old 02-27-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched A Soldier's Story on one of the Starz channels. I'm not surprised it got a Best Picture nom, but I am curious to know what pictures it was up against for Best Picture, as I thought it might have well won, but I don't know what other movies were nominated in 1984.

On a side note, even though we got rid of Showtime, in favor of keeping Starz, it seems like there are often better movies on Starz and Epix than there are on Showtime anyways.
Old 02-27-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

In 1984 your nominees were:

Amadeus -- Saul Zaentz, Producer
The Killing Fields -- David Puttnam, Producer
A Passage to India -- John Brabourne and Richard Goodwin, Producers
Places in the Heart -- Arlene Donovan, Producer
A Soldier's Story -- Norman Jewison, Ronald L. Schwary and Patrick Palmer, Producers

I love Amadeus but I love A Soldier's Story more. That was a tough year. I do think Adolph Ceasar should have won for Supporting Actor.
Old 02-27-14, 01:46 PM

You can look at a film like Branagh's Hamlet and it's essentially a detailed, faithful adaptation of the primary text and it works, and works well. I felt The Road, likewise, is a faithful adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel (which I love), but it doesn't work as a film. Part of the strength of that novel is in the words, which are difficult to convey in any other way.

Alternatively, you can derail from the primary text significantly and have a successful or unsuccessful film. The primary text should be a different conversation from the film experience.
Quite. There are points where they overlap, but there are differences between "good adaptations," "good films based on [ ]s" and "good films". One could be all three, but is rarely more than two..

I've only seen the first Harry Potter film, and I haven't read the books, but I had no problem following the storyline, identifying with characters, understanding motivations, etc.; however, it's been quite a while since I saw that first film.
My shakey memory is that the first is a good adaptation, makes sense without the book but isn't that great a film. The second is a good adaptation, makes sense and is a good film. The third is a poor adaptation, makes no sense at all, and isn't a good film. The fourth is a good adaptation, doesn't make complete sense and is a good film... the last two are reasonable adaptations, perfectly followable but part 1 is terrifically dull.
Old 02-27-14, 03:38 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Managed to make it to Philomena tonight. That was the last best picture nominee I needed to see. It was actually quite interesting. It won't win for best picture but I'm glad I saw it.

Glad you got to see it!

I am so happy to be on schedule.

No more time to squeeze in any more than my goal of 30. Planning to watch "All About Eve" tonight (along with a few more shorts), then capping it all off with "American Hustle" tomorrow night. Then I'm done.

I don't watch anything on Saturday except the Independent Spirit Awards, then prep all day on Sunday for the big night!
Old 02-27-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao

Glad you got to see it!

I am so happy to be on schedule.

No more time to squeeze in any more than my goal of 30. Planning to watch "All About Eve" tonight (along with a few more shorts), then capping it all off with "American Hustle" tomorrow night. Then I'm done.

I don't watch anything on Saturday except the Independent Spirit Awards, then prep all day on Sunday for the big night!
I'm going to try and squeeze in Blue Jasmine before Sunday, other than that, I think I'm happy with my coverage of the major categories.

I was also able to see two foreign language nominees, one if which I think will win, so that really makes me happy!
Old 02-27-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
In 1984 your nominees were:

Amadeus -- Saul Zaentz, Producer
The Killing Fields -- David Puttnam, Producer
A Passage to India -- John Brabourne and Richard Goodwin, Producers
Places in the Heart -- Arlene Donovan, Producer
A Soldier's Story -- Norman Jewison, Ronald L. Schwary and Patrick Palmer, Producers

I love Amadeus but I love A Soldier's Story more. That was a tough year. I do think Adolph Ceasar should have won for Supporting Actor.
I saw AMADEUS for the first time a few years ago--on a used VHS tape that I'd picked up cheap along with OUT OF AFRICA when I was trying to catch up with Best Picture Winners I'd never seen. I'm astounded to realize I haven't seen any of the 1984 nominees that AMADEUS competed with. Pretty depressing subject matter overall--I'm guessing AMADEUS was the most entertaining of the five!
Old 02-27-14, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I think I hit my brick wall for this challenge. I was doing fairly well there for a little while, but I haven't been able to rouse any interest in anything all week. Given that I haven't seen or care about pretty much any of this year's nominees, I'm not entirely sure I'll even bother with the awards telecast on Sunday. It's all but certain I won't complete the checklist, nor will I get to all of the movies in my owned-but-not-logged list. Oh, well.

Also: Amazon has this year's Best Short Film (Live Action) nominees for sale for just $3.99 HD/$2.99 SD. Total run time for all five shorts is 115 minutes.
Old 02-27-14, 07:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Also: Amazon has this year's Best Short Film (Live Action) nominees for sale for just $3.99 HD/$2.99 SD. Total run time for all five shorts is 115 minutes.
I hate paying for non-physical media, but I think I'll pick that one up.

Tonight, watching A Place in the Sun for Liz Taylor's birthday.
Old 02-27-14, 08:51 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Amazon has this year's Best Short Film (Live Action) nominees for sale for just $3.99 HD/$2.99 SD. Total run time for all five shorts is 115 minutes.
Worth the purchase...considering I blew $7.99 to rent it in HD from Xfinity on Monday night before this showed up on Tuesday! Ugh!

of course, they don't even have the Animated Shorts, which I was hoping would pop up...of course not!

On a different note, just found that Amazon Prime has "The Broken Circle Breakdown"! Yay! Free Oscar nominee I didn't think I'd get to!

Well, there goes "All About Eve"!

Last edited by Mao; 02-28-14 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
How many of us have seen all 9 best picture nominees this year?
I finally saw Gravity last night. Nebraska,Her and Philly are the only ones left. I mentioned in the Oscar thread at the movie board that I thought I would be able to see Her before Nebraska. Instead it'll be the other way around (Might check out Nebraska tomorrow afternoon on PPV)
Old 02-28-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

I really hit a wall this week. I had grand plans to watch more of the nominees, but the ones I have left feature pretty depressing subject matter. So I've been playing Civ 5 and watching things like How to Marry a Millionaire. That was a good film! Marilyn Monroe wears really cute glasses. I still have to watch 12 Years a Slave sometime between now and the ceremony.
Old 02-28-14, 05:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

completed watching the five nominees in this year's DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT catagory - and check ... !

Originally Posted by Paceway
How many of us have seen all 9 best picture nominees this year?

so far have seen 54 of the 57 nominated films; the holdouts being 'Mandela', 'Ernest and Celestine' and 'Lone Survivor'

Last edited by Giles; 02-28-14 at 05:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.