Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

Old 02-21-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge (1 Feb - 2 March)

I managed to come down with the worst head cold in about 24 hours. What this means for my viewing was that since I didn't sleep last night, I turned on "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" around 4 in the morning. I actually quite enjoyed it. I had to double check the director as it kind of felt like a Hitchcock but wasn't, of course. The twist at the end is unexpected as the whole movie sets up something different, so that was nice. I read that they were originally going to make this in color but went with b&w and I think that was the best choice. The lack of color really sets off the sets and the makeup, imo. I admit that I wasn't sure that I'd enjoy it going in but it definitely took my mind off being miserable.
Old 02-21-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I managed to come down with the worst head cold in about 24 hours. What this means for my viewing was that since I didn't sleep last night, I turned on "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?" around 4 in the morning. I actually quite enjoyed it. I had to double check the director as it kind of felt like a Hitchcock but wasn't, of course. The twist at the end is unexpected as the whole movie sets up something different, so that was nice. I read that they were originally going to make this in color but went with b&w and I think that was the best choice. The lack of color really sets off the sets and the makeup, imo. I admit that I wasn't sure that I'd enjoy it going in but it definitely took my mind off being miserable.
Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-21-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Hard to believe this, but I just watched Good Will Hunting for the first time. Pretty good! Minnie Driver and Robin Williams were great as well. It's hard to believe that Damon and Affleck wrote some of that dialog. Can you be that young and think of things so deep? Amazing.
Old 02-21-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Hope you feel better soon.
Thanks, still pretty miserable but I think I'll make it. Maybe.

Haven't been able to concentrate to watch anything today. I picked up "Cinema Paradiso" so I should get to that soon; it'll finish off my checklist.

Maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-22-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight I plan to do a double feature of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, and then, all I have left to watch of the movies I really want to get to this challenge are the two Jurassic Park movies, and Dances With Wolves.
Old 02-22-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

My plans for either the LOTR films or Game of Thrones this weekend fell through completely. My son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandsons came in for a few days so any hope of watching movies/TV is pretty much out the door as my daughter and other 3 grandkids will be at the house as much as possible along with great grandma/grandpa and anyone else who finds out they are in town. While my son and I *might* watch a movie it'll be a "everyone's asleep so we'll take advantage of the quiet time" type thing.
Old 02-22-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

Today was the day of the talkie films. I inadvertently managed to do a Peter O'Toole double feature with Becket and The Lion in Winter and he played the same role in both films. Both films were interesting and the performances were excellent.

I ended the evening with Reds and my goodness it felt like that film would never freaking end! I probably should have gone with a film that had less talking and more explosions for my last feature of the evening but I wanted to knock all of the really long films off of my list.
Old 02-22-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got back from seeing The Hunt. Denmark's foreign film entry for this year's award. Wow! Well made film! But why do these foreign entries all have to be so depressing (at least the ones shown here)?
Old 02-23-14, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tonight I plan to do a double feature of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King...
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My plans for either the LOTR films or Game of Thrones this weekend fell through completely.
We have some friends coming over this morning and we're going on the crazy journey that is watching the LOTR trilogy, Extended Edition. Yeah we're crazy!!! Good thing there's breaks for quiche and Sunday pasta dinner.
Old 02-23-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by popcorn
We have some friends coming over this morning and we're going on the crazy journey that is watching the LOTR trilogy, Extended Edition. Yeah we're crazy!!! Good thing there's breaks for quiche and Sunday pasta dinner.
My plans fell through as a friend wanted me to hang out last night.
Old 02-23-14, 10:20 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

My plans fell through as a friend wanted me to hang out last night.
These kinds of friends have no place in the universe during a challenge!

Don't they understand?
Old 02-23-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went out and 12 Years a Slave today. I could see this one winning a good share of the awards. I have only Philomena left for the best picture nominees.
Old 02-23-14, 10:59 PM
Mao

Originally Posted by pacaway
Went out and 12 Years a Slave today. I could see this one winning a good share of the awards. I have only Philomena left for the best picture nominees.
Watched it for the second time on Friday night. It is my hope it wins Best Picture.
Old 02-23-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
Watched it for the second time on Friday night. It is my hope it wins Best Picture.
I can't figure it out! Which movie do you mean?
Old 02-24-14, 12:58 AM
Mao

I can't figure it out! Which movie do you mean?
12 Years A Slave
Old 02-24-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
12 Years A Slave
D'oh! I figured that's what you meant but then held out hope that Philomena was going to be really good!

How many of us have seen all 9 best picture nominees this year?
Old 02-24-14, 08:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same boat as you in having seen all of them except Philomena which I am content seeing as a rental when it comes out that way.
Old 02-24-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Completed my Best Picture five-pack with Crash. From my Letterboxd diary:
Spoiler:
I didn't first see Crash until after its controversial Best Picture win. I have a soft spot for ensemble movies where different characters interact with another without necessarily having an actual relationship of any kind. That's harder to do well than I suspect the average viewer considers. On that, Crash scores high marks.

Here's the problem with Crash: All of its conflicts are rooted in characters making terrible decisions and escalating things much more quickly than reasonable people would. I thought about the spate of prolific "stand your ground" killings. If Paul Haggis's interpretation is to be believed - and, sadly, I think it should be - most of those incidents take place because hotheads with guns simply want there to be problems in the world. Calm, rational people don't maintain an arsenal in the name of "being prepared".

It's difficult to really like many of the characters, in part because Haggis insists that everyone have a "good" scene and a "bad" scene. Look, I get it: things are "complicated". They really aren't; a jerk is a jerk, and just about everyone in this movie deserves to be miserable because they so actively contribute to the misery in the world...
I actually agreed with and liked both of those parts. They're both obvious (or should be), but deserve being reiterated as often as possible, because so many people ignore or disagree with them. But I suppose the first one may be a non-American's view, and the second can wind up coming across as eye-rollingly heavy-handed. But while I often agree with your second thought - "a jerk is a jerk" - the important thing to remember is that they often aren't... or, at least, they tend to feel themselves self-justified and it's important to see things from both sides.

Still, when I watched it last year, I was expecting it not to be that great. But I enjoyed it greatly and consequently thought it more deserving than most seem to.
Old 02-24-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

D'oh! I figured that's what you meant but then held out hope that Philomena was going to be really good!

I only have 12 Years a Slave to go. Watched Captain Phillips and The Wolf of Wall Street yesterday. That was a bit discombobulating!
Old 02-24-14, 11:40 AM
Mao

Don't get me wrong...I thoroughly enjoyed "Philomena", but there's no way it would be in the top five if the Academy hadn't changed things up a few years ago.

I have seen all 9, yes.

In fact, the only features I haven't seen this year are: "The Broken Circle Breakdown" (though, it is on PPV), "Ernest & Celestine", "The Invisible Woman", "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom" (I don't count missing this for just a song - I'm bad!), "The Missing Picture", "Omar", and "The Wind Rises".

So, 35 out of 42 nominated features this year ain't bad....
Old 02-24-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

I wasn't planning to watch Ghostbusters as part of this challenge but I think I will in honor of Harold Ramis. Maybe/Hopefully Ghostbusters 2 will be available on blu in time for next year's challenge.
Old 02-24-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's Groundhog Day for our family tonight. No Academy award noms, but it is a good one to honor Harold with.
Old 02-24-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
Don't get me wrong...I thoroughly enjoyed "Philomena", but there's no way it would be in the top five if the Academy hadn't changed things up a few years ago.

I have seen all 9, yes.

In fact, the only features I haven't seen this year are: "The Broken Circle Breakdown" (though, it is on PPV), "Ernest & Celestine", "The Invisible Woman", "Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom" (I don't count missing this for just a song - I'm bad!), "The Missing Picture", "Omar", and "The Wind Rises".

So, 35 out of 42 nominated features this year ain't bad....
Wow! Congrats! I'm at 16 and thought I was doing good!
Old 02-24-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I wasn't planning to watch Ghostbusters as part of this challenge but I think I will in honor of Harold Ramis. Maybe/Hopefully Ghostbusters 2 will be available on blu in time for next year's challenge.
My copy of Ghostbusters has some scratches, so I need to replace it.
Old 02-25-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I actually agreed with and liked both of those parts. They're both obvious (or should be), but deserve being reiterated as often as possible, because so many people ignore or disagree with them. But I suppose the first one may be a non-American's view, and the second can wind up coming across as eye-rollingly heavy-handed. But while I often agree with your second thought - "a jerk is a jerk" - the important thing to remember is that they often aren't... or, at least, they tend to feel themselves self-justified and it's important to see things from both sides.
I don't know if it's the lack of quality sleep or what, but I'm having a hard time following the first half of this. As far as the bit that a jerk isn't always a jerk, or feels self-justified, that's still a jerk. In fact, that's the recipe for a superjerk, because a jerk is inconsiderate; a superjerk actually feels entitled to be a jerk, and that's what the characters in Crash seem to believe about themselves.

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I got to thinking, and maybe we should revise the "In Memoriam" clause to cover anyone who passes away between Oscars, not in the last calendar year. That would make more sense to me, since folks like Philip Seymour Hoffman and Harold Ramis will certainly be acknowledged on Sunday, but our challenge won't include them until 2015.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.