Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any interest in a year long movie challenge?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: sounds interesting and I would participate
yes
46.15%
no
53.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-13, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I had in mind is a movie a day but the movie has to some how tie into that day. Some examples;

New Year's Day - Strange Days because part of the movie is about the turn of the millennium.

3 June - Alien because that is the supposed date the Nostromo landed on LV-426.

12 June - Raiders of the Lost Ark because that was the original release date.

6 July - A Man for All Seasons because that is the day Thomas More was beheaded

24 Dec - The Ref because that is the night the action in the movie takes place.

So whether something in the movie itself or something about the movie is somehow related to that particular day, either is valid. This will also allow this challenge to overlap w/ the other regular/monthly challenges. To be honest I'm not sure I'll even be able to keep up myself, but it would be interesting to see what people come up w/ and what sort of connections they make.
Old 12-05-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Any interest in a year long movie challenge?

I said yes. I probably wouldn't be doing it every day but it'd be fun to find connections for now and then.
Old 12-05-13, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Sounds intriguing. I might give it a try.
Old 12-05-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I voted no. Just because my schedule changes from week to week because of work.I never know what my schedule is from week to week. I don't know if I would have the time to do it. It was hard enough to do these monthly Challenges ( History & Horror ) I can't foresee doing a yearly one. Although If you can get it going- more power to you.
Old 12-05-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by nemein
What I had in mind is a movie a day but the movie has to some how tie into that day. Some examples;

New Year's Day - Strange Days because part of the movie is about the turn of the millennium.

3 June - Alien because that is the supposed date the Nostromo landed on LV-426.

12 June - Raiders of the Lost Ark because that was the original release date.

6 July - A Man for All Seasons because that is the day Thomas More was beheaded

24 Dec - The Ref because that is the night the action in the movie takes place.

So whether something in the movie itself or something about the movie is somehow related to that particular day, either is valid. This will also allow this challenge to overlap w/ the other regular/monthly challenges. To be honest I'm not sure I'll even be able to keep up myself, but it would be interesting to see what people come up w/ and what sort of connections they make.
I think it would be easier if you limited it to one date a week and then had a number of movies to choose from per that date, and give people a week to see that movie or a number of movies connected to that week.

E.g.:

Feb. 12: Any movie about Abraham Lincoln, who was born that day; or any movie in which his character is featured; maybe watch 3 or 4 Lincoln/Civil War movies from Feb. 12-18, or whenever the Monday of that week is;

July 14, the date when Pat Garrett shot Billy the Kid, you could watch any movie about Billy the Kid that week, with an emphasis on Peckinpah's PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID;

July 22: any movie about John Dillinger plus the movie he saw on the night he died (7/22/34), MANHATTAN MELODRAMA, and maybe add other movies about Depression-era bandits, like BONNIE AND CLYDE.

October 26: Any film about Wyatt Earp or the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, which occurred on that date;

November 22: any film about JFK or any assassination/conspiracy thriller,

Etc. etc. etc.

These are just the first dates that came to my head and reflect my own preference for historical subjects. There must be enough other dates to inspire movie watching to make up 52 weeks.

But I think it would be easier for participants if it wasn't every day. That's way too much to impose on us. If I were to participate, I'd only choose those dates/viewing options that interested me. I wouldn't do every one. (I stopped participating in challenges after the Criterion one, because I had other priorities this fall.)

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Old 12-05-13, 01:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Hmm, neat idea. Maybe someone can think of a way to tie this in with our current 12 monthly Challenges.
Old 12-05-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Definitely an interesting concept. I'd participate...to what degree, I'm not certain.
Old 12-05-13, 03:31 PM

I like the one a week idea... I might actually even be able to accomplish that Let's set that as the 'minimum' for those that participate. If you can do one a day, more power to you though...
Old 12-05-13, 10:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

I love the idea and would definitely give it a try, but it sounds like the type of challenge that would entail a huge amount of personal planning.
Old 12-05-13, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted no. I try to participate in each of the monthly challenges, but I find the level of time I devote to each one dwindling with each passing year, so adding another challenge like this just wouldn't work for me.

Sounds like it could be fun though. Good luck in making it work.
Old 12-05-13, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I voted no because I dont see how it could work, good luck for those who want to try.
Old 12-06-13, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I voted no because I dont see how it could work, good luck for those who want to try.
Yeah, it's definitely the type of thing that only a very few would even attempt, and perhaps none of them actually finish it.

But another way to think of it that many of us already do this actually. Depending on the specifics of it's 'rules' and how well it syncs with the 12 monthlies, it could be pretty easy; or something that we do almost by default.
Old 12-06-13, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
But another way to think of it that many of us already do this actually. Depending on the specifics of it's 'rules' and how well it syncs with the 12 monthlies, it could be pretty easy; or something that we do almost by default.
That's what I was thinking/hoping for, so that overall it doesn't add another "burden" to people. When I originally came up w/ the idea several years ago (I think I started it as a thread in the Movie forum) it was just to create a list of movies that was significant to each day of the year. Probably started w/ associating 1776 w/ 4 July. No one really bought into it then and I hadn't thought about it in awhile. Now w/ the challenges going I thought I'd throw out the idea again and see if people wanted to give it a try.

By opening it up to not just something on screen being associated w/ a specific date, but something about the movie itself (like the release date, or maybe the b'day of the primary actor/actress) I think it would be easy enough. Adding the abstraction of not one per day but one per week based on a date within that week (so 52 movies, not 365) further lessens the burden and should be relatively easy for those that try the 100 movies in a month challenge, and as you say could probably be something done within the context of those other challenges.

Anyway, thanks all for the comments, keep them coming. If it looks like people want to give it a try I'll try to come up w/ the "rules" and what not in a couple of weeks/before the holiday. BTW I haven't talked w/ any of the people running the other challenges, and haven't really been involved w/ them, so at this point there's no sponsors/prizes or anything like that. This was just an idea I typed up/threw out to see if people were interested.
Old 12-06-13, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Which is why I did not vote... there's no "maybe" or "depends on the rules" selection. If it melds, fully or mostly, with the other challenges it would be a easy addition. If a single weekly film then it wouldn't detract from a challenge too much to be a burden even if it didn't fit the theme.

I'll wait until I see how it shakes out before deciding as I'm already scaling back a bit on the others due to a bit of burn out from going whole hog for a couple of years.
Old 12-06-13, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nemein
If it looks like people want to give it a try I'll try to come up w/ the "rules" and what not in a couple of weeks/before the holiday.
I think this type of challenge would be fine without rules. Don't even make counting a requirement. The only real requirement would be to list how what was watched was applicable to that day.

Ideas for linking:
Death/birth of actor/actress/director/crew member
Release dates
Historical events (World Wars, elections, bootlegging films on the anniversary of start/ending of prohibition, etc).
Holidays

I wouldn't suggest anyone feel the need to go crazy and try to find something for every day or not want to watch something because it's the wrong day. Just when you're in the mood, go for it.
Old 12-06-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I have enough difficulty fitting in a few items for the monthly challenges, but it's a fun idea to tie this to dates that actually mean something to us, like the 1776 example, D-Day, etc.

Agree with Trevor that some kind of tie-in to the monthlies would be nice.

Last edited by davidh777; 12-06-13 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-06-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

This would be interesting, I want to say I'd participate but am not sure I could do every day. I'm in, in one capacity or another.
Old 12-06-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Interesting, but I voted no. As the years go on, I am finding less time for the other (monthly) Challenges, let alone one that is a year long.

Good luck to everyone that participates in this!
Old 12-07-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I voted no, mainly because I just don't see how it could really work out. It is an interesting idea, but I think the logistics involved would just make it a really tough thing to follow through with.
Old 12-08-13, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm definitely out. Hosting two challenges and seriously participating in two more (Oscars and Criterion) wear me down. I've scaled back quite a bit on Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Animation and Horror in the last couple years just because of challenge fatigue. I couldn't do an entire year.

However, I have had the thought in the past of making one monstrously long checklist covering all the challenges and giving participants the entire year to complete it.
Old 01-01-14, 09:00 PM

Are we doing this?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/61...l#post11963834
Old 01-02-14, 05:04 AM

Didn't seem to be enough interest so I'm letting it slide...
Old 01-02-14, 06:15 AM

I added the following to your first post in the other thread...

[Edit by nemein: If we get enough people (say two pages of placeholders) I'll go ahead and stick the thread.

"Rules" The basic challenge is to watch a movie that is somehow tied into the specific day you are watching the movie. This could be either something in the movie itself; the majority of the action takes place on that particular day, or for example a historical movie/documentary where there is a significant event for that particular day (even if the movie encompasses more days). Alternatively, it could be something about the movie itself; watch it on the release date, the birthday of one of the major actors/actresses, etc...

The ultimate goal would be to watch a movie a day, to help w/ this (for those that do it) you are highly encouraged to blend this in w/ the other monthly challenges. Probably a more realistic goal would be to pick a day within each week of the year (Sun to Sat or Mon to Sun... however you count your weeks) for a total of 52 movies.

Record the movie you watched, and the date/reason it was picked.

There are NO prizes for this challenge.

End edit]

If enough people buy in (say before the end of Jan) I'll go ahead and stick it...