DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Dvds that are worth more than $5? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/615327-dvds-worth-more-than-%245.html)

electronicbash 11-18-13 04:33 PM

Dvds that are worth more than $5?

I just had some car problems. It's about a $500 fix. I have literally over 600 dvds. I dont feel like going through amazon and start typing in each dvd one by one. Just to find out they are only worth .01-$2.

I put up all my box sets..... so that is one thing I have done so far. Anything above $5(amazon) is worth it for me to sell. It would be appreciated if someone has a list of dvds that they could show me.... because I will know if I have it or not by title.

I dont have any anime dvds. I put up all the season/series boxsets already.

I just dont want to put in every dvd one by one to find out most are selling for only .01

Much help is appreciated you guys! Thanks a bunch in advance.

Josh-da-man 11-18-13 06:11 PM

Re: Dvds that are worth more than $5?

Let me see if I understand this...

You want the folks here to appraise a collection of DVDs you have by compiling a list of all DVDs that regularly sell for over $5 so you can read through it and see what titles you own are on it because you can't be bothered to do any actual research for yourself?

Yeah, that's going to go over well here.

Welcome to the board!

SterlingBen 11-18-13 06:15 PM

Burn Him!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-18-13 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by electronicbash (Post 11914432)
It would be appreciated if someone has a list of dvds that they could show me.... because I will know if I have it or not by title.

The Complete Beginner's Guide to Knitting 15.96
No Rules Knitting at the Teen Knit Cafe Kit 5.99
I Can't Believe I'm Knitting Cables, Bobbles & Lace 16.96
I Can't Believe I'm Knitting! in Motion: Beginner 19.95

That's the list I have but if you need some more, let me know.

DJariya 11-18-13 06:26 PM

Selling enough DVDs to raise $500 in cash will be next to impossible.

So you have absolutely no money in savings to pay for your repairs? Needing to sell media to pay down debt tells me your not in a good position financially or employment-wise.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-18-13 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11914569)

I wouldn't say that. I sold 2 used DVDs on amazon in the last month and after shipping and amazon's cut, I made $105.50.

electronicbash 11-18-13 07:20 PM

Well, I just moved from the west coast to the east coast. I do have a job, I just live off a monthly budget for rent, utilities, and etc. I can afford about $200 out of pocket for the repair. Just trying to get this done kind of quickly.

I paid for my car to be transported across the country, a moving company to travel from california to michgan with all my items, and all the necessities needed to furnish my place(furniture,etc). After all of this, my car started messing up and needs a heater core replacement. Antifreeze smokes me out everytime I drive to work. This is what it's boiled down to..... sorry if that doesnt sound believable. Or even if it sounds like im not responsible. It is expensive to move and this last minute expense kind of tipped the boat.

Plus I'm still paying off college loans and etc. So please don't post if you don't have an understanding of how life has these unfortunate situations, which can't be avoided based on the timing.

Thanks for anyone who has contributed anything. It should be paid off soon, I'm doing pretty well as of right now selling certain dvds.

Mr. Salty 11-18-13 07:31 PM

First, you should know that Michigan isn't on the East Coast.

And second, it's not a matter of whether this can be done or not, it's a matter of whether it can be done quickly. Selling your DVDs online won't be quick. You may want to check with a pawnshop or local used record/video store. You won't make anywhere near as much money but it will be a whole lot faster if you need cash in hand.

electronicbash 11-18-13 07:34 PM

Thanks mr. salty and yes I know, it's the midwest. I plan on using craigslist for all of these low valued dvds and let people pick and choose. So far I've made about $120 on amazon sales in the last 2 days.

Paul_SD 11-18-13 09:44 PM

In my experience, it tends to be niche, Out of Print oddball stuff that is most in demand.
Especially titles that were licensed out and not released by their studios (ie. Anchor Bay, etc)
Genre stuff (like older horror) can be worthwhile. Mainstream & big budget blockbusters tend to be the most value-less. Any kind of title you aren't very likely to see in a thrift store or a pawn shop or big lots is usually worth listing- although these are few and far between.
Also anything that hasn't been upgraded to Blu-ray yet (or that's only gotten a pricey Blu-ray upgrade)

some of the titles I've gotten the most for have been
The Turning Point (sealed- Over $100)
Lil' Abner (Sealed- over $50)
Goodbye Columbus (Sealed- over $50)
Hard Times (70's) (open- $25)

A lot of the Paramounts that went out of print are getting re-released by Warner, so you may want to hop on listing any that haven't yet.

good luck

dvdjunkie32 11-19-13 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by electronicbash (Post 11914432)
I just had some car problems. It's about a $500 fix. I have literally over 600 dvds. I dont feel like going through amazon and start typing in each dvd one by one. Just to find out they are only worth .01-$2.

I put up all my box sets..... so that is one thing I have done so far. Anything above $5(amazon) is worth it for me to sell. It would be appreciated if someone has a list of dvds that they could show me.... because I will know if I have it or not by title.

I dont have any anime dvds. I put up all the season/series boxsets already.

I just dont want to put in every dvd one by one to find out most are selling for only .01

Much help is appreciated you guys! Thanks a bunch in advance.

This would be a good start:

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Tr...ords=zorro+dvd

These days, you would be lucky to get $5 for movie release blu-rays, let alone dvds. Boxsets are your best bet.

orangerunner 11-19-13 03:12 PM

If you want to see which DVDs are bringing in a decent price just go to eBay.

Try in "DVD" and check out the previous sales history, place highest price first and have a look.

That was how I figured out my DVD copy of Shag The Movie was selling regularly for $30-$50.

Pointyskull 11-19-13 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 11914569)

I beg to differ. I sold some of my stash back to Amazon recently - made well over $600.

wm lopez 11-19-13 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi (Post 11914611)
I wouldn't say that. I sold 2 used DVDs on amazon in the last month and after shipping and amazon's cut, I made $105.50.

What were they?

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-19-13 05:51 PM

The Dead Are Alive! and Clownhouse.

The Dead Are Alive! was beyond awful.

Clownhouse was average at best but had the child molestation behind the scenes going on, which wasn't enough for me to keep when I could sell it for oodles of cash.

Regulus 11-19-13 06:20 PM

Looking for DVDs or VHS over $5.00?

Log on to http://www.amazon.com and check out the prices for this Movie and Two Series series! :lol:rotfl

Animaloympics

Drak Pack

Cecrets of Isis

jjcool 11-20-13 08:21 AM

Haven't looked recently, but I would hope any limited edition stuff would be worth over $5, even on DVD. I am specifically thinking of the limited 2 or 3 disc releases that came out day and date with a lower disc count release. Stuff like World Trade Center.

Edited to add: Deluxe versions as well, I would hope would still be somewhat valuable. Like the 4 disc version of Pearl Harbor, and the 3 disc versions of Black Hawk down and Windtalkers.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-20-13 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 11916663)
Haven't looked recently, but I would hope any limited edition stuff would be worth over $5, even on DVD. I am specifically thinking of the limited 2 or 3 disc releases that came out day and date with a lower disc count release. Stuff like World Trade Center.

Edited to add: Deluxe versions as well, I would hope would still be somewhat valuable. Like the 4 disc version of Pearl Harbor, and the 3 disc versions of Black Hawk down and Windtalkers.

Usually not but it depends on the movie and what kinds of other releases it's had.

Yet for some reason, the lenticular cover of Hulk and Target exclusive cases, like Iron Man, go for a good amount. Not super high but I sold my opened ones for somewhere around double what I paid for them when they came out, so I was happy.

Sex Fiend 11-20-13 09:20 AM

Pretty much any catalog DVD that is out of print should fetch more than $5 via Ebay or Amazon marketplace. And many will fetch a lot more than that. But needing a quick turnaround would be the tricky part. It could take months to sell any valuable DVDs at real current market value.

Anything that is a current/popular/widely available release is going to be in the dollar to sub range, unfortunately. If that is most of your collection, I wouldn't hold out much hope for a big payday. In that case, your best bet would be to sell it as a lot for whatever you could get, or as someone mentioned, take whatever you could get at a pawn/used record store, if you need to raise money desperately.

jjcool 11-21-13 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi (Post 11916741)
Usually not but it depends on the movie and what kinds of other releases it's had.

Yet for some reason, the lenticular cover of Hulk and Target exclusive cases, like Iron Man, go for a good amount. Not super high but I sold my opened ones for somewhere around double what I paid for them when they came out, so I was happy.

Wonder if stuff like the transforming cases for Transformers, or any of the mask cases like Dark Knight would be worth anything. Guess I should check ebay.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-21-13 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by jjcool (Post 11918204)
Wonder if stuff like the transforming cases for Transformers, or any of the mask cases like Dark Knight would be worth anything. Guess I should check ebay.

The Iron Man Target case was a mask type, so possibly. Good luck!

JerryKILL 11-21-13 01:09 PM

Go to ebay, search for "oop dvd", click on advanced next to the Search button, check the box next to "sold listings", sort the results by highest first.

Stone Cold with Brian Bosworth for $105?! WTF?

3onameathook 11-21-13 01:50 PM

If you had the movie Split Second starring Rutger Hauer DVD region 1 you'd be set if you could find a cash buyer that is

That'sAllFolks 11-21-13 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Regulus (Post 11916079)
Looking for DVDs or VHS over $5.00?

Log on to http://www.amazon.com and check out the prices for this Movie and Two Series series! :lol:rotfl

Animaloympics

Drak Pack

Cecrets of Isis

I have those last two. Never realized they were worth that much. Picked up Drak Pack from DD for about 3.55. I kinda wanted to watch it, but I doubt it's worth 150 bucks to watch it.

Travis McClain 11-21-13 08:59 PM

I've got Garfield: Holiday Celebrations on eBay right now. It ends tomorrow evening and last I saw, it was around $23.50. Also, even though it just came out on Blu-ray, I've seen DVDs of Mickey's Christmas Carol fetch $18-20 on eBay in the last week. Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam & Burt has gone for upwards of $40 in the past, but I haven't checked on that one in awhile.

Good luck to you!