DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Releases Overpriced

Old 11-12-13, 11:08 PM

New Releases Overpriced

Here's a guy selling 200 DVDs with original factory cases for $100 (50 cents each). ..Most DVDs/Blurays go unsold on craigslist. ..At 50¢ each he might have a chance.

http://reno.craigslist.org/emd/4188455477.html

..This is why I avoid buying new DVDs/Blurays. ...They're so overpriced, its an insult. ..$14.99 for new DVD releases? ..No thanks. No more than I would pay $14.99 for a Quarter Pounder with cheese.

$19.99 - $24.99 for Blurays??? ..Yeah right. ..I would rather have a $24.99 milkshake.
Old 11-13-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Re: New Releases Overpriced

How cheap should they be? Compared to $10+ theater tickets, most discs are a great value. Plus new releases on VHS sold for about $100, and laserdiscs for $40. The movie industry is greedy but they do need to make SOME money...
Old 11-13-13, 01:25 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

He's selling used. That devalues them a lot. He doesn't really say what titles he has either.
Old 11-13-13, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
How cheap should they be?...
On average Redbox discs are rented out 15 times (15x$1.20=$18.00 ). Each disc sold to Redbox ($8 to $12???)

So it depends on how cheap those discs need to be where consumers would rather buy than rent .

Most people over 25 remember when typical rentals were $3.00 and DVD prices were $14.99 to $19.99 (Purchase price approx. 5x to 6x rental price)

5x to 6x times current $1.20 DVD Redbox rentals is $6.00 to $7.20 (Bluray $7.50 to $9.00). If the studios expect to maintain disc sales, we are looking at $8.00 DVDs and $10.00 Blurays for new releases.

Current purchase prices at 12x to 15x rental price isn't working. The US & world economies are in decline. ..Movies/entertainment are a luxury. ..Most working class Americans are not as "free spending" as they were in the 80's/90's. ..Studios should be looking at volume sales instead of the high profit margins they were making 10 years ago. ...Those days are long gone.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 11-13-13 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by g View Post
He's selling used. That devalues them a lot. He doesn't really say what titles he has either.
This guy emailed earlier today. ..I didn't feel like driving 50 miles (round trip) to pick them up. ..I suggested he call the local pawn shops, but they don't always buy at 50¢ each. ..I've had shops offering 25¢ (I assume they are overstocked).

Look at some of the online sites. ( www.sell-dvds.com ) They're offering 25¢ for every other common title you look up.

Granted ..we're talking used as opposed to shrink wrapped new releases. ...But when it gets to the point where you can buy 30 used DVDs at the same price ($14.99) as one new DVD, ...I believe most people would agree. ..Better to just rent new releases.
Old 11-13-13, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by dvdshonna View Post
This guy emailed earlier today. ..I didn't feel like driving 50 miles (round trip) to pick them up. ..I suggested he call the local pawn shops, but they don't always buy at 50¢ each. ..I've had shops offering 25¢ (I assume they are overstocked).

Look at some of the online sites. ( www.sell-dvds.com ) They're offering 25¢ for every other common title you look up.

Granted ..we're talking used as opposed to shrink wrapped new releases. ...But when it gets to the point where you can buy 30 used DVDs at the same price ($14.99) as one new DVD, ...I believe most people would agree. ..Better to just rent new releases.
There's a good reason he doesn't list a single title. They aren't worth anything new and comparing them to regular new releases is comparing apples to oranges. He's not selling anything like Criterion titles, unless it's Armageddon or Chasing Amy, the two Criterion titles most commonly found in pawn shops.

Most of the movies sold on craigslist end up being $1 title/as seen on tv type stuff/the things everyone already has and are for sale brand new on amazon marketplace for 25 cents.
Old 11-13-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Studios should be looking at volume sales instead of the high profit margins they were making 10 years ago. ...Those days are long gone.
I believe you are 100% right, and I believe some studios are indeed doing this.

But be careful what you wish for....this concept is how a Sony library ends up with Mill Creek, and Miramax with Echo Bridge, and MGM with The Garr Group.

Then a very loud minority get ticked off that a certain movie has been "disrespected" by being put in a multipack or that it had no extras. Even though now you can get a bunch of actual good movies dirt cheap, and certainly cheaper than ONE decent movie used to cost.
Old 11-13-13, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels View Post
I believe you are 100% right, and I believe some studios are indeed doing this.

But be careful what you wish for....this concept is how a Sony library ends up with Mill Creek, and Miramax with Echo Bridge, and MGM with The Garr Group.

Then a very loud minority get ticked off that a certain movie has been "disrespected" by being put in a multipack or that it had no extras. Even though now you can get a bunch of actual good movies dirt cheap, and certainly cheaper than ONE decent movie used to cost.
As well as MODs.
Old 11-13-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
As well as MODs.
Ugh...Even worse!

Those things (to me) are the worst of ALL worlds. Overpriced by a LOT and oh yeah we probably used whatever crap print we had lying around, and did no work on it! Oh yeah, no extras and even the cover art probably stinks too!

In full disclosure though...I'm a media consumer more than a conessuer. I watch movies and move on to the next one. I want great quality (with most movies) less than I just don't want BAD quality, and I have watched EXACTLY two "extras" in my entire life. So I freakin' love cheap multi-packs.
Old 11-13-13, 12:36 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I have watched EXACTLY two "extras" in my entire life.
Don't leave me hanging, which two?
Old 11-13-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Don't leave me hanging, which two?
I can't recall EXACTLY (so maybe I shouldn't have been so EXACT, ha!) what they were BUT: one was a Star Wars doc off the blu set and one was a retrospective thing on Young Frankenstein (which upon recollection I watched on TV as stand alone show...but I assumed it was an extra on a dvd).

By no coincidence these are basically my two favorite movies ever and the only ones I ever cared enough to want to learn more about.

Thinking about it now I feel like there is actually third I've watched but can't recall what it is.
Old 11-13-13, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh...Even worse!

Those things (to me) are the worst of ALL worlds. Overpriced by a LOT and oh yeah we probably used whatever crap print we had lying around, and did no work on it! Oh yeah, no extras and even the cover art probably stinks too!

In full disclosure though...I'm a media consumer more than a conessuer. I watch movies and move on to the next one. I want great quality (with most movies) less than I just don't want BAD quality, and I have watched EXACTLY two "extras" in my entire life. So I freakin' love cheap multi-packs.
I'm with you there. I don't bother with extras. I used to watch them on occasion but found the out takes were cut for a reason, the gag reels typically are not funny (unless you happened to be there at the time), and if I want to find out more about a film/actor I can usually read about it and get more from it so don't bother unless it's a "feature length" documentary that was *not* made just for a release. Oh.. commentaries... most are pretty worthless. I've listened to a *few* that were OK but any more I typically ignore them.

MODS.... blech! I'm getting more and more annoyed with the current trend to take a title OOP and almost immediately offer it as a overpriced MOD (Sony seems to be the worst but WB is close behind and I'm seeing it occur with other studios as they discover people are falling for the tactic).

Forget "new" releases. Most I have no interest in viewing immediately and should I want to see one I can usually pick up a copy in a few months for ~$5 or less. I think the prices are inflated at release to somewhat appease the "rental" companies. After all, why would I want to rent a copy when I can purchase one for a buck or two more than the rental cost?

Those multi-packs are wonderful. I've purchased quite a few and have been mostly happy with them. I'm not crazy about cramming 3-4 films on a single disk but otherwise I'm satisfied with most.
Old 11-13-13, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'm with you there. I don't bother with extras. I used to watch them on occasion but found the out takes were cut for a reason....
I've seen a few cut scenes that should have been left in, but I agree 99%. ..From the early days of DVDs, I've always thought they should leave out the "extras" and make ALL DVD releases Double Features. ..$14.99 to $24.99 would be easier to swallow if it was for TWO movies.

10 movie packs would be better. ..When I look at the titles on Netflix, ...I'm usually thinking they should have just issued 10 movie packs for $19.99

Last edited by dvdshonna; 11-13-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I'm with you there. I don't bother with extras. I used to watch them on occasion but found the out takes were cut for a reason, the gag reels typically are not funny (unless you happened to be there at the time), and if I want to find out more about a film/actor I can usually read about it and get more from it so don't bother unless it's a "feature length" documentary that was *not* made just for a release. Oh.. commentaries... most are pretty worthless. I've listened to a *few* that were OK but any more I typically ignore them.

MODS.... blech! I'm getting more and more annoyed with the current trend to take a title OOP and almost immediately offer it as a overpriced MOD (Sony seems to be the worst but WB is close behind and I'm seeing it occur with other studios as they discover people are falling for the tactic).

Forget "new" releases. Most I have no interest in viewing immediately and should I want to see one I can usually pick up a copy in a few months for ~$5 or less. I think the prices are inflated at release to somewhat appease the "rental" companies. After all, why would I want to rent a copy when I can purchase one for a buck or two more than the rental cost?

Those multi-packs are wonderful. I've purchased quite a few and have been mostly happy with them. I'm not crazy about cramming 3-4 films on a single disk but otherwise I'm satisfied with most.
Ha! What Bob said here rang my memory....the third extra I did indeed watch was the deleted scenes from Prometheus! I LOVED the movie and actually did get more from the extra scenes, I won't say I didn't.

MODS are a joke as far as I am concerned Bob. We sell'em and do ok on a few but nothing adds up with them money wise when it comes back to you as a customer. Studios can now print on demand, and therefore hold no stock on actual product (thus no warehousing fees for said product) and stock just bare supplies (paper/discs/cases) which work for ANY movie they want to press which greatly reduces waste, and usually DO no restoration work on the movies or even commission new art....and these things are MORE EXPENSIVE than a pressed disc???? AFAIK everything about MODs REDUCED COSTS....and then they charge MORE for them!!!!

I admit with the multipacks even I get annoyed at compression here and there. But if we're talking a Mill Creek 50 pack, I can live with it. I've found the TGG MGM titles very well done (save a defective batch). Good (real studio) movies and fair prices (which get discounted almost immediately).
Old 11-13-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the most part, I am done buying new releases. Especially for television series. I just wait until I grab them used during one of gohastings' sales.
Old 11-13-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MODS are a joke as far as I am concerned Bob. We sell'em and do ok on a few but nothing adds up with them money wise when it comes back to you as a customer. Studios can now print on demand, and therefore hold no stock on actual product (thus no warehousing fees for said product) and stock just bare supplies (paper/discs/cases) which work for ANY movie they want to press which greatly reduces waste, and usually DO no restoration work on the movies or even commission new art....and these things are MORE EXPENSIVE than a pressed disc???? AFAIK everything about MODs REDUCED COSTS....and then they charge MORE for them!!!!.
MOD titles are a scary topic for me. I've noticed that a ridiculous amount of tv shows aren't being released as pressed discs anymore and are going the MOD route instead. It sucks when you've been collecting a show and suddenly the releases just dry up. Until recently, I had no idea that several shows I enjoy had even been released at all. I just stumbled upon the MODs of them on Amazon. And yes, they never seem to be priced very well.
Old 11-13-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I probably have over 1000 discs in my collection and I can only think of three titles I bought as a new release in the $24.99 price range.

If you're not in a panic to get it, they usually turn up in pawn shops for $5 within a few months.

The nice thing about discs is that a used disc could have been played once or 10,000 times and it doesn't affect the quality. If the disc was reasonably well cared for, it is as good as new. When you buy it new, you're essentially paying $20 for shrink wrap.

Consumer behavior is odd though. People seem to have no problem paying $5 for a Starbuck's latte, $40 for a haircut, $4/hour to park their car downtown but they refuse to buy a used DVD for $3.

When you can rent a disc for 99 cents from Redbox, why pay $20-$25 for a movie you're only realistically going to watch once or twice. It makes sense why the market has shifted the way it has.
Old 11-13-13, 03:59 PM

With any movie, I always wait a few months for their prices to come down anyway. With the ease of access to streaming services' sheer quantity of decent movies at their prices, I can't justify throwing $20 at a single DVD anymore. It'll get rewatched so rarely, realistically if at all.
Old 11-13-13, 05:49 PM
Banned

Some DVD's I really want ,I'll pre-order for release day but most of what I buy is used and USUALLY in excellent condition. With over 5000 DVD's in my collection,(A lot of TV yet to watch!!), I will most times wait until the price really drops or buy used at good prices!
Old 11-15-13, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
For the most part, I am done buying new releases. Especially for television series. I just wait until I grab them used during one of gohastings' sales.
"...Amazon's selling (Star Trek) the three seasons of the Original Series for $133.79, the complete TNG for $297.32, the complete Deep Space 9 for $253.62, the complete Voyager for $295.67, and the complete Enterprise for $224.98—That's about $775 in total for all the TV shows.

Again, an unlimited streaming Netflix plan costs $8 a month. You could get eight years' worth of access to all those shows plus all the other shows on Netflix for the price of the DVDs. And it's not like the DVDs are so expensive because they're difficult or costly to manufacture. You can get a 100 pack of blank DVDs for $25."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...expensive.html
Old 11-15-13, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Assuming those shows STAY on Netflix for 8 years...
Old 11-15-13, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

... which is very doubtful. And, with streaming you get some badly-compressed (very low bitrate) DRM-infested product. And, you've got to deal with your ISP imposing bandwidth caps on your usage as well.
Old 11-15-13, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Assuming those shows STAY on Netflix for 8 years...
And that's also assuming Netflix subcribers WANT the same movies/tv to stay on Netflix for 8 years. ...I'm guessing more subscribers prefer content that changes.
Old 11-16-13, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"...Amazon's selling (Star Trek) the three seasons of the Original Series for $133.79, the complete TNG for $297.32, the complete Deep Space 9 for $253.62, the complete Voyager for $295.67, and the complete Enterprise for $224.98—That's about $775 in total for all the TV shows.

Again, an unlimited streaming Netflix plan costs $8 a month. You could get eight years' worth of access to all those shows plus all the other shows on Netflix for the price of the DVDs. And it's not like the DVDs are so expensive because they're difficult or costly to manufacture. You can get a 100 pack of blank DVDs for $25."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...expensive.html
I'm not a fan of streaming. I'd rather physically own my collection and be able to watch what I want, when I want. Not having to cross my fingers that what I'd like to see is available for streaming.
Old 11-16-13, 12:42 PM

The only new releases I've bought were Best Buy or Target exclusives. While there are a handful that I wish I'd bought, for the most part I'm okay with turning my attention elsewhere. The drop in price after several years for the majority of new releases is a huge benefit, and my wallet isn't infinitely deep. To each their own.

MOD's are a sore point, though. A good analogy is a manufacturer outsourcing to China and dropping their to-market cost by maybe 2/3...while continuing to charge the same retail price. It's literally "laughing all the way to the bank", and I have so far chosen not to participate. Similarly, if I'm looking for hardware or small electronics items, I'll typically visit Harbor Freight or some dollar store first. I would much prefer the studios do deals with Olive or Shout...or maybe even Mill Creek or Twilight Time. I don't know what percentage of customers they lose by going MOD, but if one day MOD catalog title sales fall off the cliff, I'll say it was a self-fulfilling prophesy. But then, maybe Mill Creek will be able to grab the rights and put out a 50-film pack of pre-code titles?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.