Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I was going to watch through all of the Silent Night Deadly Night movies since this is the first year I've owned all of them. I've only ever seen parts 2 and 4 before, and after watching the first one last night I realized I don't want to see those two again. Part 2 is just like watching the first one again and then some funny moments I could just look at on Youtube, and slogging through Part 4 again sounds very unappealing, so I'm just going to watch 3 and 5 and call it good. I'm halfway through Part 3 and it's no winner either. Didn't think last year's remake was more than middling as well. This has to be the most underwhelming horror franchise for me so far.
Old 10-17-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Giles
the European cut mixes the music slightly louder and more prominent.
Yep, that's actually Fulci's cut(director of Zombie), and my preferred version. He uses the Goblin music more and it's a much tighter cut of the movie.
Old 10-17-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I now understand why Vampirella (1996) has not seen the light of day for years.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
[Dawn of the Dead]... that's actually Fulci's cut(director of Zombie), and my preferred version. He uses the Goblin music more and it's a much tighter cut of the movie.
*cough* Argento *cough*
Old 10-17-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, that's actually Fulci's cut(director of Zombie), and my preferred version. He uses the Goblin music more and it's a much tighter cut of the movie.
That would be Argento's cut
Old 10-17-13, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Epic fail! Thanks for the correction guys. I bought the 4 disk collectors DVD years ago, after watching all three cuts of the movie, the European cut became my favorite. I'll make sure I'm citing the correct Italian director from now on.
Old 10-17-13, 09:23 PM

Toy Story Of Terror was good, but

Spoiler:
They already did the selling the toys thing in Toy Story 2. This wasn't bad, but I think they should have quit doing Toy Story stuff after Toy Story 3. That would have been a great story to end Toy Story with. Now they're just milking it.

Cigarette Burns is so far the best I've seen of Masters Of Horror.

American Horror Story Coven was pretty good. I watched the first two episodes and liked it. I don't find it scary at all, but it sure is fucked up.

House was enjoyable. It kind of reminded me with Evil Dead 2 with how it was horror with a lot of comedy. I still have House 2 to watch.

The Evil Dead is good, but Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness are still my favorites of the series. A question about The Evil Dead Book Of The Dead Edition though: it's in widescreen which isn't the original aspect ratio of The Evil Dead. But isn't this how it would have looked if you saw it in the theater?

Last edited by DoctorWhosScarf; 10-18-13 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

A couple of listing questions:

1) Since "The Devil's Carnival" is only 55 minutes, does it count as half a movie? Or are we treating it like a whole movie, like those oldies that might have only run an hour.

2) Are giant monster movies being counted (which imdb generally list as sci-fi, action, adventure, but rarely horror).
Old 10-17-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
A couple of listing questions:

1) Since "The Devil's Carnival" is only 55 minutes, does it count as half a movie? Or are we treating it like a whole movie, like those oldies that might have only run an hour.

2) Are giant monster movies being counted (which imdb generally list as sci-fi, action, adventure, but rarely horror).
1. 55 minutes is technically a full length film
2. I'd say it depends on which one but many of them are definitely worthy imo
Old 10-17-13, 10:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
For the longest time, I was sure I'd seen Terror Train sometime in the 80s. But watched it last night and didn't remember anything from it. And where was the scene with the guy in a gorilla suit trapped in a cage with a real gorilla?? Or Nenge Mboko shouting "Merry New Year!"? I must have been watching an edited version.
I'm not sure if this post is serious, but just in case. You're thinking of "Trading Places"(1983) in regards to those moments.

My movie watching has been extremely limited so far, since it's been a week or so since my last viewing. So I'm at 5 films so far. Work is mostly to blame, along with working on my short movie in my free time, and being to tired to do anything else.

I was hoping to get through the remaining vhs I have yet to watch in any challenge, along with my blu-ray releases I've bought(mostly Scream Factory titles), and some dvd titles as well, which most are first time views for the challenge. I'm not sure if I'll make it through half of them at this point, but I'll do my best to begin watching some titles tomorrow, and see how it goes from there.
Old 10-17-13, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from late night showing of Carrie. Not bad, but not good either. There are some changes in the film , but overall its the same film. Not as good as the original IMO. Save yourself the $10.50 or whatever the movies go for in your area, and dust off the original throw it in the dvd player and enjoy.
Old 10-17-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I liked "A Brush with Death" when I watched it last year. It was bad but I thought the kills were kind of cool. I also agree that "Angst" could have been good maybe with a bigger budget. "The chambermaid" was just painful. I think we have the same movie set. If so, "The Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine" was also kind of cool with some cool gore, and I actually liked "Uninvited." "Demonic" had some good gore too and I didn't mind it.
Definitely sounds like it is the same one. I wrapped up the first disc today with Harvest of Fear, which was alright. I'll dive into disc 2 sometime in the next few days.
Old 10-17-13, 11:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

yet the scene where the zombie gets the top of his sliced off by the helicopter blade is deleted ... wtf??
Old 10-17-13, 11:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DoctorWhosScarf
Toy Story Of Terror was good, but

[SPOILERS]They already did the selling the toys thing in Toy Story 2. This wasn't bad, but I think they should have quit doing Toy Story stuff after Toy Story 3. That would have been a great story to end Toy Story with. Now they're just milking it.[/SPOILERS]

Cigarette Burns is so far the best I've seen of Masters Of Horror.

American Horror Story Coven was pretty good. I watched the first two episodes and liked it. I don't find it scary at all, but it sure is fucked up.

House was enjoyable. It kind of reminded me with Evil Dead 2 with how it was horror with a lot of comedy. I still have House 2 to watch.

The Evil Dead is good, but Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness are still my favorites of the series. A question about The Evil Dead Book Of The Dead Edition though: it's in widescreen which isn't the original aspect ratio of The Evil Dead. But isn't this how it would have looked if you saw it in the theater?
it also has one of the nastiest decapitations (if that was submitted to the MPAA - you could hear them screaming "NC-17!... NC-17!!!")

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9toXLzxizGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-17-13, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 10-18-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

For those that enjoy Cigarette Burns (or John Carpenter) his wife and him donated a few signed items for the charity I help with. Auction starts on the 22nd: https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...n?id=203205119

Anyways, back to the challenge, what's been the scariest movie you have ever seen and doesn't really drag? A decent story with some good kills. Let's hear them and let me know if they are on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Old 10-18-13, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Oh, I'm definitely hunting that down. That sounds delicious.

I'm watching the R-rated cut of Return of the Living Dead 3 since my uncut R2's in storage and all I have is this 6-pack of horror movies Lionsgate put out. I'm left wondering why so much of this was cut. Quick flashes of nudity are cut completely and at one point they even edit out the word "bitch" with a cut happening directly after the character says "You crazy b-." It's like they were editing for a PG-13 or something. Baffling. I've only ever seen the uncut one before and this is hard to watch.
Old 10-18-13, 12:35 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Did my first "re-run" today and got away from first time views. Tucker and Dale vs Evil. What a fun movie. I might even try to get my wife to watch it tonight.

I discovered that little gem last year. Ended up buying it. Trying to carve out some time to get it watched this challenge. Alan Tudyk is fantastic.
Old 10-18-13, 12:37 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Did my first "re-run" today and got away from first time views. Tucker and Dale vs Evil. What a fun movie. I might even try to get my wife to watch it tonight.
Hurray! Isn't it great?! I lucked into it last year, and really hope to get back to it this year, too.
Old 10-18-13, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
Just got back from late night showing of Carrie. Not bad, but not good either. There are some changes in the film , but overall its the same film. Not as good as the original IMO. Save yourself the $10.50 or whatever the movies go for in your area, and dust off the original throw it in the dvd player and enjoy.
I would watch it, but I won't go out of my way to watch it. I'll stick with the original. Same thing with The Omen, i'll stick with the original.
Old 10-18-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dcrw6
I was going to watch through all of the Silent Night Deadly Night movies since this is the first year I've owned all of them. I've only ever seen parts 2 and 4 before, and after watching the first one last night I realized I don't want to see those two again. Part 2 is just like watching the first one again and then some funny moments I could just look at on Youtube, and slogging through Part 4 again sounds very unappealing, so I'm just going to watch 3 and 5 and call it good. I'm halfway through Part 3 and it's no winner either. Didn't think last year's remake was more than middling as well. This has to be the most underwhelming horror franchise for me so far.
Not to be too harsh, but Silent Night Deadly Night 2 is one of the worst excuses for a movie I've ever seen.

Totally agree about being underwhelming. First one was not a good movie either, but at least semi-serviceable.
Old 10-18-13, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been slacking on horror this year. Couldn't muster up the energy to watch the remake of Carrie at the 10:00 p.m. screening tonight (looks like the exact same thing as De Palma's version from the trailer), so saw Escape Plan instead. May try to give it a watch early next week.

Still need to re-watch favorites: The Shining, Scream, Psycho.
Old 10-18-13, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Used a wildcard on "Pacific Rim" (figured since it had giant monsters, it wasn't that off-the-mark). I liked it for what it was, but I wonder if the exact same movie came out with Michael Bay's name on it instead of Guillermo del Toro: a) if the reviews would have been as good, and b) would anyone not think it fit in with Bay's filmography.
Old 10-18-13, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Used a wildcard on "Pacific Rim" (figured since it had giant monsters, it wasn't that off-the-mark). I liked it for what it was, but I wonder if the exact same movie came out with Michael Bay's name on it instead of Guillermo del Toro: a) if the reviews would have been as good, and b) would anyone not think it fit in with Bay's filmography.
I disagree. When I went to see this at the IMAX I had low expectations, exactly expecting a 'Bay' film. However, I was completely surprised at how good it was. I think your perception may be because it is just not going to pack the same punch in a home viewing. But for a big screen presentation, much better than a Bay movie. Maybe because you could follow the action or something? I don't quite recall the reason I felt that way. But I would definitely say it was not just because of the name attached.
Old 10-18-13, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

Wanted to watch Hellraiser last night on Netflix and they are streaming a 4:3 VHS quality version! What the hell? Guess any self respecting horror fan like myself should own this movie but I was hoping for a BD boxset one day (of at least the first three together).

I may wait until next year to do my Hellraiser marathon now.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-18-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

A little monster themed get going music for the morning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snuwucn9dQY

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.