Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 07:08 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by mightysparks
shellebelle - 99
PCBreakdown - 93
mightysparks - 89
I'm on 89 now. 93 if I get to watch everything I plan on watching today. My OCD tends towards planning.
Old 10-17-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Thanks to whoever first mentioned watching the Maniac remake. I caught it last night and pretty much loved it. Really well done and Elijah Wood turned out to be a great casting choice. With his boyish and innocent looks, you almost sympathized with him. There was one scene
Spoiler:
when the agent is tied up and killed on the bed

that seemed especially real. One question I had was
Spoiler:
why did they break away from the POV a couple of times? They did it twice: during the agent's death and the kill in the parking lot. Those weren't dream or past memory sequences, and I figured there must be some reason they switched perspective.

Also liked the little homage to the original's iconic poster art.
Old 10-17-13, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
You know, The Thing (2011) is growing on me! I liked it way better this second time I watched it. I think it has something to do with having watched it so soon after The Thing From Another World instead of the 1982 movie.
Last year, I watched the 2011 release right before the 1982 release (since they meld into each other) and really enjoyed the 2011 release that time. It didn't bother me like it did the first time I saw it.
Old 10-17-13, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
I'm on 89 now. 93 if I get to watch everything I plan on watching today. My OCD tends towards planning.
Ah, yes me too. I plan mine the night before so when I get home from work the next day I can start watching :P I mean, I already have the month planned in a spreadsheet but I only update my post one day ahead.
Old 10-17-13, 09:41 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

For the longest time, I was sure I'd seen Terror Train sometime in the 80s. But watched it last night and didn't remember anything from it. And where was the scene with the guy in a gorilla suit trapped in a cage with a real gorilla?? Or Nenge Mboko shouting "Merry New Year!"? I must have been watching an edited version.
Old 10-17-13, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
WTF Naomi Watts is in Children Of The Corn 4?!?!?
Huh. You're not wrong... all I know is I picked it out because it had Karen Black in it. I thought she (Watts) looked familiar, though...
Old 10-17-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Last year, I watched the 2011 release right before the 1982 release (since they meld into each other) and really enjoyed the 2011 release that time. It didn't bother me like it did the first time I saw it.
I wonder how many others have given it a chance for a second viewing and found they enjoyed more?
Old 10-17-13, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it's finally 'call from inside the house' day! Yeah! Used it as the opportunity to watch the great 1974 version of Black Christmas again. Watched my DVD but now realize I still do not have an anamorphic copy of this movie! Any comments on the quality of the Blu-ray Disc for this movie before I buy it?
I had recorded an hour long documentary off the space channel a few years back called On Screen: Black Christmas and am going to watch that now as my documentary item for the checklist. Anyone else seen that?

Last edited by pacaway; 10-17-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
use [seeing Goblin] as a 'Wild Card'
Or the optional "Live Event".
Old 10-17-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it's finally 'call from inside the house' day! Yeah! Used it as the opportunity to watch the great 1974 version of Black Christmas again. Watched my DVD but now realize I still do not have an anamorphic copy of this movie! Any comments on the quality of the Blu-ray Disc for this movie before I buy it?
I had recorded an hour long documentary off the space channel a few years back called Un-Screen: Black Christmas and am going to watch that now as my documentary item for the checklist. Anyone else seen that?
It isn't a flattering transfer. No better than the dvd from what I've seen but it is anamorphic.
Old 10-17-13, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
yes, if not for the fact that Zombie beats Dawn by a landslide by featuring a zombie munching on a live shark...
Yeah, that scene was just
Old 10-17-13, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
It isn't a flattering transfer. No better than the dvd from what I've seen but it is anamorphic.
I think that's what I had heard and is likely why I hadn't picked it up already. Thanks for the input Seth.
Old 10-17-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Any issues with listing Severance as a horror/comedy for the expanded checklist? Maybe I can find something funnier, as it does have some serious moments.

I've mostly been watching the subset films and catching up on The Walking Dead, I'm nearing the end of the 2nd season and it's getting pretty good.. finally. The first half of the season really dragged.

I did watch Absentia which was pretty good. I liked the ambiguity of the end and the somber tone of the film. While I found the film plenty compelling, I wish the last half of the movie could sustain all of the creepy moments featured in the first act. There were some scary bits near the end but I think the film kind of peaked early with the spookiness. Either way, it's pretty interesting and certainly worth checking out.

Originally Posted by jmsmath
I watched Fulci's Zombie for the first time tonight and really enjoyed it. It doesn't seem to get the love or respect that Dawn of the Dead gets, but it's every bit as good if not better as far as I'm concerned.
While Zombie has some great moments, Dawn of the Dead has a soundtrack by Goblin, so it automatically wins.

You know, The Thing (2011) is growing on me! I liked it way better this second time I watched it. I think it has something to do with having watched it so soon after The Thing From Another World instead of the 1982 movie.
If there was a version that replaced all of the CGI with the practical effects that the crew originally used, I would watch it in a heartbeat.
Old 10-17-13, 11:28 AM

Michael Caine and Cheryl Ladd in Jekyll and Hyde (1990) are pretty good. And the rest of the cast is a great mix of established people, too. (I was sure that Kevin McNally (Kevin McNally!)'s superior was George Sewell, but apparently it's one Lee Montague.)

Reportedly several of the cast weren't terribly happy with the results - particularly with Mr. Caine's Hyde makeup - but I'm not really sure why. The transformation effects are, I thought, not all that bad for a TVM.

Incidentally, I see that in at least one place it's listed as having been a two-part four hour TV miniseries. I presume that "four hours" means 2-and-a-half to three hours in real terms, but the only availability seems to be a near-90m version. And I couldn't see where another hour+ could be slotted in, so perhaps it wasn't that long originally..?
Old 10-17-13, 11:37 AM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Any issues with listing Severance as a horror/comedy for the expanded checklist? Maybe I can find something funnier, as it does have some serious moments.
It's listed as being in both the comedy and horror genres at IMDB, which means that you're golden.
Old 10-17-13, 11:57 AM

The Wicker Man is no longer on Amazon Prime...
Old 10-17-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Did my first "re-run" today and got away from first time views. Tucker and Dale vs Evil. What a fun movie. I might even try to get my wife to watch it tonight.
Old 10-17-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Might be time to dig into my Twilight Zone episodes. They have a lot of dark, creepy episodes that are just screaming to be viewed.
Old 10-17-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's what I had heard and is likely why I hadn't picked it up already. Thanks for the input Seth.
No problem. I'm in the middle of the movie right now (had been saving it for today's theme, like you) and even the special edition dvd that is anamorphic looks like crap. This movie deserve a nice release.
Old 10-17-13, 01:28 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

How is House on Straw Hill (1976; aka Expose, Tantrum)?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-13 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-17-13, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
It's listed as being in both the comedy and horror genres at IMDB, which means that you're golden.
Sweet, thanks for the response.
Old 10-17-13, 03:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Just watched the guerrilla fantasy/horror Disneyworld movie "Escape from Tomorrow". And if anyone saw it and can tell me what the hell was going on I'd appreciate it
I was really excited for this, but seeing the trailer definitely dampened my hopes. However, I just saw it and REALLY liked it! Strangely, I found it really creepy, but would even find myself laughing at even some of those creepy moments. Some things didn't work or felt a bit too cheesy, but overall, I thought it was really good! I actually felt really surprised by it!

Now, as for what was actually going on? I have no idea...
Old 10-17-13, 04:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe

While Zombie has some great moments, Dawn of the Dead has a soundtrack by Goblin, so it automatically wins.
the European cut mixes the music slightly louder and more prominent.

~~

watched 'House by the Cemetary' ...again, this has become a film I've watched almost every challenge - which I've grown to like a lot.

The UK Arrow bluray has a great commentary track with actor Catriona MacColl and Calum Weddell
Old 10-17-13, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I cracked open one of those Mill Creek 12-packs yesterday. Yikes. I managed to get through 3 of the movies, but it was a battle. Just a terrible day movie day. I'll finish the set eventually, but I definitely can't marathon my way through it. I watched A Brush With Death, Angst (2003) and The Chambermaid. I'd say A Brush With Death was the lesser of the evils. A bad movie, but not the worst thing I'd ever seen. Angst, on the other hand was pretty terrible. It is the story of a woman whose vagina kills people. To satisfy her hunger, she ends up starting a career as a prostitute. Had there been some gore, it might have been decent.
I liked "A Brush with Death" when I watched it last year. It was bad but I thought the kills were kind of cool. I also agree that "Angst" could have been good maybe with a bigger budget. "The chambermaid" was just painful. I think we have the same movie set. If so, "The Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine" was also kind of cool with some cool gore, and I actually liked "Uninvited." "Demonic" had some good gore too and I didn't mind it.
Old 10-17-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
One question I had was
Spoiler:
why did they break away from the POV a couple of times? They did it twice: during the agent's death and the kill in the parking lot. Those weren't dream or past memory sequences, and I figured there must be some reason they switched perspective.
I was wondering that as well, as I brought it up a page or two back. It took me out of the film for a quick minute.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.